Heavies Heavies mediums

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

smithy3333 #1 Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 967 battles
  • [BIG1]
Want to know best tree for heavies at around tier 5 to 8. I like a tank with speed and a good gun.

Quallo_Musto #2 Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 23446 battles

Hi smithy3333,

It sounds to me like you should go down the russian KV-1 -> KV1S -> IS -> IS-3 line. They all have great guns, and apart from the KV-1, They are all very mobile. best of luck with your decision! :)

smithy3333 #3 Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 967 battles
  • [BIG1]
Thank you, do you know any good sniping mediums/heavies

smithy3333 #4 Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 967 battles
  • [BIG1]
Want to know the best tree for sniping, but must have good speed and high damage and penetration 

jonty_2014 #5 Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 78528 battles
  • [EMRS]
Sniping - the VK30.01M

Empros is recruiting! Message me in game to apply.

uk03878 #6 Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:27 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11307 battles
Russian SU, ISU or if you can hack it the German Hetzer (now a bit nerfed), JP and Ferdi.. But I still can't make the JT work for me

Quallo_Musto #7 Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:31 PM

Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 23446 battles
Well the german Panther line has incredibly accurate, high penetration But low damage guns. They work quite good for sniping. The damage isnt really high on any mediums, at least not pr shot, But They have great DPM and if you go all the way to the E50M, ypu get the most accurate gun in the game(or so I believe) :)

hson_hson #8 Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 30342 battles

Well, regarding heavy I would say the british then, both Conqueror and FV215b are fairly quick, penetration and accuracy is good, but damage and specially armor isn't best though

DerpyMcderp #9 Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 16539 battles
A sniping heavy would be Tiger 1/2 and British heavy material. They are fairly accurate.

The only reason that you lost... is that you p***ed me off. 

romsitsa #10 Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 52653 battles
  • [VG]

If you would like to snipe in a med, please do yourself and others a favour and buy tank destroyers.

In Blitz a sniping med is one flanking med less for your team and this is not good.

I know meds generally have weak armor for close combat so many med drivers tend to avoid short range encounters, but the key is if they can't aim properly, you don't get penned. And if possible never go head on, not even if it is an easy kill, as you need every bit of your HP pool.

Edit: your description suits the "new" US td line well. Hellcat and T25/2 have high speed, meh rof, good pen, damage and have turrets. And with non existent armor they will snipe.

A

Edited by romsitsa, 14 June 2015 - 10:27 PM.

Titus_Scato #11 Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42260 battles

View Postsmithy3333, on 14 June 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

Want to know the best tree for sniping, but must have good speed and high damage and penetration 

Hi there, smithy3333! 

For sniping mediums, you definitely want the E-50M line.  So get back in your Panzer III Ausf. A and learn to snipe in that with the 50mm gun. After which you have a couple of heavies to grind though, the DW2 and VK30.01H, don't just snipe in those, be aggressive, and you must learn how to side scrape in them, because they have weak frontal hull armour. 

The sniping proper begins with the VK30.02M (a prototype Panther) which leads to the real Panther, and Panther II.  The Panthers are designed for sniping, although once equipped with the top engines they are fast flankers too. The final E-50M is good at both sniping and aggressive flanking.

The British medium and heavy lines only become snipers from Tier 8 onwards.  American and Soviet mediums and heavies are not good for sniping due to less accurate guns.  The German heavies are better for sniping, but heavies should not really being hanging back sniping for long.

However, you should try out the American turreted tank destroyers, which begin with the M8A1, they also make very good snipers. They are generally slower and less well armoured than the German mediums, and their guns are slightly less accurate and have a slower rate of fire - but their guns do have higher alpha damage, which means more damage per shot. Just take cover while reloading, they have very poor hull armour.

Edited by Titus_Scato, 15 June 2015 - 09:18 AM.

GrumpyWorm #12 Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles
Threads merged

Hilmo36 #13 Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 20262 battles
What I would say to anyone looking at a sniper line, remember not to confuse sniping with camping at the back of the map the whole game, stay mobile and won't go front line, but don't sit back where you'll rarely be able to take any shots.

Starting a clan to help train weaker players to become better, inspired by SirHavoc

If you're interested, feel free to personal message me in game (Hilmo36) or on the forums by the same name!

Titus_Scato #14 Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42260 battles

View PostHilmo36, on 15 June 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

What I would say to anyone looking at a sniper line, remember not to confuse sniping with camping at the back of the map the whole game, stay mobile and won't go front line, but don't sit back where you'll rarely be able to take any shots.

yes, sniping means staying at as long a range as possible, but moving to a new position if you don't have a shot on an enemy tank after 15-20 seconds.  Moving to the high ground is usually a good idea.

epitaechisma #15 Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8966 battles
  • [UTB]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 14 June 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

Hi there, smithy3333! 

For sniping mediums, you definitely want the E-50M line.  So get back in your Panzer III Ausf. A and learn to snipe in that with the 50mm gun. After which you have a couple of heavies to grind though, the DW2 and VK30.01H, don't just snipe in those, be aggressive, and you must learn how to side scrape in them, because they have weak frontal hull armour. 

The sniping proper begins with the VK30.02M (a prototype Panther) which leads to the real Panther, and Panther II.  The Panthers are designed for sniping, although once equipped with the top engines they are fast flankers too. The final E-50M is good at both sniping and aggressive flanking.

The British medium and heavy lines only become snipers from Tier 8 onwards.  American and Soviet mediums and heavies are not good for sniping due to less accurate guns.  The German heavies are better for sniping, but heavies should not really being hanging back sniping for long.

However, you should try out the American turreted tank destroyers, which begin with the M8A1, they also make very good snipers. They are generally slower and less well armoured than the German mediums, and their guns are slightly less accurate and have a slower rate of fire - but their guns do have higher alpha damage, which means more damage per shot. Just take cover while reloading, they have very poor hull armour.

Guys, guys! What are you doing??!? This is the Newcomer´s Forum! He´s a beginner!

And what do you do? You tell him to take the german medium tank line!

Seriously? This is one of the hardest tank lines to master! Not at all suitable for a beginner! Really, the german mediums will teach a beginner that this game is VERY hard and no fun at all. Therefore, he´ll decide to camp base.

Please smithy3333, dont go the german mediums. You can still do that after you have over 4000k matches of experience ...

Even relativly good players like me struggle with this line. The E50(M) is a very good tank, but hard to play

You´re better off starting with a heavy tank line, or a TD line. 

I can advice you to drive the US Heavys. They´ll teach you many important things about this game and they are a lot of fun. And not that hard to grind either ... I did excatly this and I dont regret it at all!

All the best 

Epi

View Postromsitsa, on 14 June 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

If you would like to snipe in a med, please do yourself and others a favour and buy tank destroyers.

In Blitz a sniping med is one flanking med less for your team and this is not good.

I know meds generally have weak armor for close combat so many med drivers tend to avoid short range encounters, but the key is if they can't aim properly, you don't get penned. And if possible never go head on, not even if it is an easy kill, as you need every bit of your HP pool.

Edit: your description suits the "new" US td line well. Hellcat and T25/2 have high speed, meh rof, good pen, damage and have turrets. And with non existent armor they will snipe.

A

Exactly. Never snipe with a proper medium tank. Sniping is meant for TDs.

However there are always exceptions: Some TDs for example are rather like heavy tanks with bigger guns (e.g. the T30 and T110E4). Some mediums are rather like heavys, some heavys are rather like mediums and so on ...

Still: Dont snipe in a medium tank. You will ruin your and your teammates´ day ...

Edited by BigBadVuk, 20 June 2015 - 09:46 PM.

[UTB]

smithy3333 #16 Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 967 battles
  • [BIG1]
I that case anyone got any advice for a td line, I have already tried the German line, the hetzer is good but the stung 3 and the over higher tier tanks look bad

epitaechisma #17 Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8966 battles
  • [UTB]

View Postsmithy3333, on 15 June 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

I that case anyone got any advice for a td line, I have already tried the German line, the hetzer is good but the stung 3 and the over higher tier tanks look bad

The Jpz 4 is bad. The Jagtpanther, Ferdinand, Jtiger and Jpz E100 arent bad at all.

The soviet TDs are also good, really campy. It´s too boring for my playstyle, but you might like it.

Tier 2 is the worst tank in the game (IMO), but 3-6 are pretty good, esp. the tier 4.

The SU-152 has a great derp gun, the ISU-152 has the best troll gun in the game, the Obj704 is pretty good and the Obj268 as well. The best thing is, they all have kinda the same playstyle. As said, very campy. It´s the best line for camping and sniping. It´s rather boring in my opinion, but if you want to sit in a bush and smash the enemy in the face for a huge amount of damage, it´s the right line for you.

I´d still advice heavy tanks. They are better to get into the game.

Edited by epitaechisma, 15 June 2015 - 05:49 PM.

[UTB]

friedeggs #18 Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 4450 battles

View Postsmithy3333, on 15 June 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

I know you preferred speed but for a beginner I'd always try the soviet heavy line.  They are slow but they take a lot of punishment and deal out big damage.  You can be pretty aggressive in them but learn how to angle each tank to avoid showing weak points,  don't sit back and camp and finally watch vids on how to side scrape.  I'd definitely g o heavy before thinking about mediums,  which require quite a bit of skill.  The kv1, t150, kv3 and upwards are all fantastic tanks, albeit slow

Titus_Scato #19 Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42260 battles

View Postepitaechisma, on 15 June 2015 - 05:30 PM, said:

Guys, guys! What are you doing??!? This is the Newcomer´s Forum! He´s a beginner!

And what do you do? You tell him to take the german medium tank line!

Seriously? This is one of the hardest tank lines to master! Not at all suitable for a beginner! Really, the german mediums will teach a beginner that this game is VERY hard and no fun at all. Therefore, he´ll decide to camp base.

Please smithy3333, dont go the german mediums. You can still do that after you have over 4000k matches of experience ...

Even relativly good players like me struggle with this line. The E50(M) is a very good tank, but hard to play

You´re better off starting with a heavy tank line, or a TD line. 

I can advice you to drive the US Heavys. They´ll teach you many important things about this game and they are a lot of fun. And not that hard to grind either ... I did excatly this and I dont regret it at all!

All the best 

Epi

http://wotbstars.com/usr/eu/sig/epitaechisma_eng.png

All very true, agree completely (except I would recommend the KV line of heavies for a beginner rather than the American heavies) - but smithy3333 specifically requested a sniping medium, so I answered his question.  Only the German mediums fit that description, with their super accurate guns.

epitaechisma #20 Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8966 battles
  • [UTB]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 15 June 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

All very true, agree completely (except I would recommend the KV line of heavies for a beginner rather than the American heavies) - but smithy3333 specifically requested a sniping medium, so I answered his question.  Only the German mediums fit that description, with their super accurate guns.

Yeah, I know that it was not your intention to make him grind this line, I understand that you were just listing the facts and of course everything you say is true. Still I felt like it would be bad if he decides to play the german meds. As said, I have some problems playing them. And I have nearly 5000 battles of experience ...

No offense was meant ;). I just wanted to spare smithy a frustrating start into the game. 

View Postfriedeggs, on 15 June 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

I know you preferred speed but for a beginner I'd always try the soviet heavy line.  They are slow but they take a lot of punishment and deal out big damage.  You can be pretty aggressive in them but learn how to angle each tank to avoid showing weak points,  don't sit back and camp and finally watch vids on how to side scrape.  I'd definitely g o heavy before thinking about mediums,  which require quite a bit of skill.  The kv1, t150, kv3 and upwards are all fantastic tanks, albeit slow

Very true.

I just have one thing to add:

If you go for the IS-4 line (which starts with the T-150) and havent played the other russian heavy line (IS-7-line) yet, you will encounter a big problem when you reach tier 9:

The ST-1 (or ST-I, however you want to call it) has a tier 7 gun as its stock gun (the 122 mm D-25T, the gun that you use on the "IS" or "KV-3" at tier 7). This gun is horrible for a tier 9 heavy tank. You will hate this tank sooo much ... :arta:

However there are two ways to avoid this gun:

1. Of course you can use real money to buy gold and use gold to buy free xp and use free xp to buy the second gun on the ST-1 (the 122 mm BL-9). But actually this is as silly as this sentence sounds ;).

2. If you consider getting the ST-1, just play the IS-3 before you get the ST-1 and unlock the BL-9 on the IS-3 (which is also a very nice tank, but in the other russian heavy tank line).

With the BL-9 the ST-1 is an alright tank and you can grind the turret and the best gun ... Fully upgraded it will be a well armoured and very competitive heavy tank ...

[UTB]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users