Crash at start of 3rd or 4th battle on iPad 2

crash

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Steelyvoid #1 Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9565 battles

I've been running Blitz on my iPad with the high graphic settings since these came out (at v2.0?  Or was it earlier).  All is fine, except that, on the third or fourth battle in a row, the game bombs out at startup.

I mention the graphics because, on one occasion I did get a popup telling me that I was running at too high a graphics setting.

That crash count seems to get reset every time I start the app (I get 2 or 3 battles working fine in a row, and then the next one crashes out at the start), which makes me think that there's a resource leak somewhere in the app.

As long as I remember to close the app and restart it every 2nd battle, all is good, but its a bit of a pain.

Anyone have any insight?  The support pages tell me to upload crash diagnostics, but I can't find them where they say they should be.(I'm on IOS 8.4.1).

mayolicious #2 Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25226 battles
  • [LOCA]

View PostSteelyvoid, on 11 September 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

I've been running Blitz on my iPad with the high graphic settings since these came out (at v2.0?  Or was it earlier).  All is fine, except that, on the third or fourth battle in a row, the game bombs out at startup.

I mention the graphics because, on one occasion I did get a popup telling me that I was running at too high a graphics setting.

That crash count seems to get reset every time I start the app (I get 2 or 3 battles working fine in a row, and then the next one crashes out at the start), which makes me think that there's a resource leak somewhere in the app.

As long as I remember to close the app and restart it every 2nd battle, all is good, but its a bit of a pain.

Anyone have any insight?  The support pages tell me to upload crash diagnostics, but I can't find them where they say they should be.(I'm on IOS 8.4.1).

I have a different Ipad so this might not help at all, but I get regular crashes when I am due a Software update. Have you tried checking that?

Hope that helps

Steelyvoid #3 Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9565 battles

View Postmayolicious, on 11 September 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

I have a different Ipad so this might not help at all, but I get regular crashes when I am due a Software update. Have you tried checking that?

Hope that helps

Doesn't seem to be the problem here.  According to Settings I'm already running on the latest level of iOS (8.4.1).  I'm assuming it must be a resource leak, but I'm surprised noone else has reported it

Riggmaster #4 Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12901 battles
  • [N2KU]

I don't think I can help you too much, but I'll try my best.

First, I run the game on a jailbroken iPhone 5, iOS 8.4. Before I try to make up an answer, I need to run down the statistics.

1. I need to know if your device is jailbroken or not, if it is/isn't, what iOS version are you running on.

2. I need to get a picture of your settings, try to make up a combination so your game doesn't crash (Or simply a text reflecting the settings screen, what option you are using for every setting that has to do with texture, performance, quality, etc.)

3. I need to know how much internal space is left in your iPad 2 (No need for a screenshot, just tell me how many GB/MBs are left for you to store data)

I'll try my best to help once I get these statistics. Hope this will help you.

P.S. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game? Give that a shot as well.

Edit: I just checked your post above, seems you're on iOS 8.4.1, so skip that

Edited by Rigenkr, 12 September 2015 - 12:23 PM.

napxas #5 Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 20772 battles

I get frequent crashes due to poor internet. If you bandwidth drops or others start getting busy on the same connection the game thinks you have dropped out and freezes. I played on a family members wifi when visiting them recently and didn't crash once.

You can try closing apps before starting the game.

You can also ensure you are only running one broadband connection. Having wifi and 3G running on your ipad can lead to frequent game crashes when your bandwidth drops. You get high ping, then game crash, and you end up a the login screen.

The problem in my case has always been 

internet internet internet. 

I am currently upgrading to a dedicated ADSL line. In the meantime I am only playing low tiers. There is nothing more frustrating than crashing and scoring zero when you are trying to improve your stats in a given tank. 

When running wifi, I can usually reset mid game without ending up at the login screen. On 3G I always end up back at the login screen and my tank is destroyed by the time I re enter. The same will happen if you have wifi and 3G on together.

reliable wifi is the key :) 

Test

Riggmaster #6 Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12901 battles
  • [N2KU]

View Postnapxas, on 12 September 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

I get frequent crashes due to poor internet. If you bandwidth drops or others start getting busy on the same connection the game thinks you have dropped out and freezes. I played on a family members wifi when visiting them recently and didn't crash once.

You can try closing apps before starting the game.

You can also ensure you are only running one broadband connection. Having wifi and 3G running on your ipad can lead to frequent game crashes when your bandwidth drops. You get high ping, then game crash, and you end up a the login screen.

The problem in my case has always been 

internet internet internet. 

I am currently upgrading to a dedicated ADSL line. In the meantime I am only playing low tiers. There is nothing more frustrating than crashing and scoring zero when you are trying to improve your stats in a given tank. 

When running wifi, I can usually reset mid game without ending up at the login screen. On 3G I always end up back at the login screen and my tank is destroyed by the time I re enter. The same will happen if you have wifi and 3G on together.

reliable wifi is the key :) 

I don't think it's possible for a busy internet connection to freeze an application. Could be, but not to my knowledge.

Eagle_Eye_Gunner #7 Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22280 battles
  • [SPRTA]

I had the same issue with my Ipad 2. Now I just set my graphic settings to low, I played loads of games there after and only once did it crash since I run on the low graphics.

Just try it and see, maybe it will work for you to.

_L0GAN_ #8 Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:03 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 18520 battles
  • [EMRS]

How fast consistently is your internet and which iPad version are you using. IOS 8.4.1 is latest version.

Running a pair of iPad air2s on 50gb Internet and no crash issues to date playing 30+ games a day so not a WoT issue?

Edited by Miku_Baby, 12 September 2015 - 06:06 PM.

bk500 #9 Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:17 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 42761 battles
  • [AFK]
So annoying just don't bother for me today is the plan thx for the prem days I can't fucking use ya :)

Tregarrock #10 Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 49675 battles
  • [AFK]
I have had this issue where I thought my iPad was at fault and another user on here suggested doing a full power cycle which resolved the issue, every time I experience what you have described I fat finger my iPad and it's ok for another two weeks or so. Hope this helps.

tridentas #11 Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 13751 battles
  • [VG]

View PostEagle_Eye_Gunner, on 12 September 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

I had the same issue with my Ipad 2. Now I just set my graphic settings to low, I played loads of games there after and only once did it crash since I run on the low graphics.

Just try it and see, maybe it will work for you to.

Ah! I might have a sensible answer here! Shock! I have an ipad4, my wife an ipad2, hers is generally slower at everything. We asked in the Apple Store about this, the current operating system is a bit heavy for the ipad2, Apple know this and in the next iOS update it's meant to get better for iPad 2 users..... So hopefully, in a few weeks time you will see an improvement?......

In peacetime, sons bury their fathers, in War, fathers bury their sons

TyP6oCJIuB #12 Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 35326 battles
  • [QKLUX]
Restart your device after each update, works for me :)

TJSkywasher #13 Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13266 battles
It might help if you turn the graphics settings down, if you own an iPad 2 you shouldn't be trying to run the game at high graphics settings, it can't handle it.

Steelyvoid #14 Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9565 battles

View PostRigenkr, on 12 September 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

I don't think I can help you too much, but I'll try my best.

First, I run the game on a jailbroken iPhone 5, iOS 8.4. Before I try to make up an answer, I need to run down the statistics.

1. I need to know if your device is jailbroken or not, if it is/isn't, what iOS version are you running on.

2. I need to get a picture of your settings, try to make up a combination so your game doesn't crash (Or simply a text reflecting the settings screen, what option you are using for every setting that has to do with texture, performance, quality, etc.)

3. I need to know how much internal space is left in your iPad 2 (No need for a screenshot, just tell me how many GB/MBs are left for you to store data)

I'll try my best to help once I get these statistics. Hope this will help you.

P.S. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game? Give that a shot as well.

Edit: I just checked your post above, seems you're on iOS 8.4.1, so skip that

Sorry Rigenkr - been offnet for a bit.  In answer to the above questions

1) I recently upgraded to iOS 9 from 8.4.1 and the problem got worse.  I can only reliably get one good game - the game typically crashes during the next battle unless I close Blitz and restart it

2) I'm running with the default "high" settings in the settings screen (so all options "high", shadows and hd textures on, grass off)

3) I've got 4.6 Gig free

I accept that I can lower the graphics level, and when I drop them to "Low", I don't get any crashes at this settings, but since my device can clearly handle the high settings (which work fine for the first battle - perfectly reasonable fps etc), I'd rather use that.

I guess I'll just live with the need to restart the app each time I want to battle.  Surprised that I'm the only person who sees this though.

TJSkywasher #15 Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:44 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13266 battles

"I accept that I can lower the graphics level, and when I drop them to "Low", I don't get any crashes at this settings"

In that case you need to run at low settings. If you're using an iPad 2 which was launched in early 2011 over 4 years ago then there's no way it can safely handle the high settings. Sure you can select high and it might play okay for a short while or you may experience any number of issues, such as lag, crashes, etc. as you have been. But really on a 4 year old device you shouldn't be forcing it to run at high settings if it's not optimised to run them. I run high on an iPad Air 2 and I'd probably recommend high for the iPad Air and maybe the iPad 4th gen, but anything below that should be running medium or low settings as the hardware just can't handle it.

Riggmaster #16 Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12901 battles
  • [N2KU]

Use Low settings for a while, then switch back to High a patch or two later.

What perplexes me is that I play on an iPhone 5 on High settings at all times, and I never experienced lag/crashes, even though the iPhone 5 uses an A6 chip...

Steelyvoid #17 Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9565 battles

View PostTJSkywasher, on 24 September 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

"I accept that I can lower the graphics level, and when I drop them to "Low", I don't get any crashes at this settings"

In that case you need to run at low settings. ...

Nah - I don't buy that.  I've worked in software support for 30 years and I know a resource leak when I see one.  Its never crashed for me on my first battle after startup, which tells me that, in principle, there's enough memory/resources whatever in the iPad to handle the game at high settings, but it consistently crashes after a small number of battles (sometimes on the very next battle, sometimes after 4-5 if I've forgotten to restart the client).  The game is clearly leaking resources from battle to battle.  

The fact that no-one else sees the problem (or it crashes so infrequently that folks don't see a pattern) suggests to me that the game is using "garbage collection" at some level to recover memory resources that aren't in use any more, and this presumably isn't kicking in in time for me.

Riggmaster #18 Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12901 battles
  • [N2KU]
I dunno, today I got my first ever crash while loading in a game but I haven't gotten a crash since. Maybe your device lacks RAM?

Vantive #19 Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:15 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 36928 battles
  • [VNC]
I used to have the same problem with my ipad2, I think it happened more If I platooned or if I was in a high tier game on the temple map or other large maps, after a restart of the iPad it was ok for a couple of weeks until either Apple or WoT brought out a update . I now restart my iPad every Friday and Tuesday as a matter of course, that may seam a bit OCD but It has reduced the crashes 

ost4pops #20 Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17934 battles
  • [IRMA]

View Postnapxas, on 12 September 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

......reliable wifi is the key :) 

I have tried the following setups:   --- = ethernet cable /  * = WIFI

Internet provider------TP-Link router* 

works great but range was a problem (suddenly high ping).

Then i got a extra router, hooked it up as a wired AP:

Internet provider------TP-Link router*---------Asus router*

When i connected to the asus wifi (great signal) the game would "freeze" at the battle loading screen or the tank would suddenly "freeze" in battle. This only happened every 10-15 game. Game restart is only option.

The i tried replacing the "faulty" asus router with an old router:

Internet provider------TP-Link router*---------old junk router*

This setup works great!

Now i use this setup:

Internet provider------Asus router*---------TP-Link router*

This also works great.

Why option no. 2 doesn't work i cant understand. 

If you in battle turn wifi off (on the ipad)  the tank freeze, ping goes up. Turn wifi on again and you can drive straight away. ??

Does others have problems with freezing tanks?

Does Wojteklaskowski82 have really bad internet?  :sceptic:

Also tagged with crash

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users