Help with basics

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Dassem_ #1 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32136 battles
  • [AFK]

A few things I've never been quite sure of.... maybe someone can help?

1. Rations, Coce, Tea, etc. Can these bring your crew skill over 100%? (or is 100% a hard cap?)

2. Improved Ventilation, can this bring your crew over 100%?

3. Once, I read someone suspecting that Binocular Telescope and Coated Optics do not perform well together. I think the phrase "cancelling each other out" was used. Do they? Or do one cancel another? Or do they stack?

4. Camouflage. When you shoot, you're more likely to be spotted. Why (beyond the r/l obvious) is this? Is the tanks camo-value set to 0? Or is it camo net that is reset? (considering this, because shooting seems to expose for about 3 seconds)

Edited by Dassem_Ultor_, 20 October 2015 - 01:13 PM.

Check out The Dassem Channel

Riggmaster #2 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14113 battles
  • [N2KU]

View PostDassem_Ultor_, on 20 October 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

A few things I've never been quite sure of.... maybe someone can help?

1. Rations, Coce, Tea, etc. Can these bring your crew skill over 100%? (or is 100% a hard cap?)

2. Improved Ventilation, can this bring your crew over 100%?

3. Once, I read someone suspecting that Binocular Telescope and Coated Optics do not perform well together. I think the phrase "cancelling each other out" was used. Do they? Or do one cancel another? Or do they stack?

4. Camouflage. When you shoot, you're more likely to be spotted. Why (beyond the r/l obvious) is this? Is the tanks camo-value set to 0? Or is it camo net that is reset? (considering this, because shooting seems to expose for about 3 seconds)

1. They don't. However they make the crew work with 10% to your crew, so it would effectively be 110%, but it's not, however it works as if it's 110%.

2. Same as above.

3. They don't. They stack.

4. Camo value after a shot being fired is set to 0.something if I'm correct, or 1-15% of the original camo the tank has. I'll have to do a little bit of research for that.

Hope this helps :)

Hy

Kriljoy #3 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11483 battles

Yeah, was a thread some time back: http://forum.wotblit...on-about-vents/

IrmaBecx #4 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32168 battles
  • [AFK]

Hy,

From what I've heard, panzerschokolat, vents and the like will bring skills over 100%, but not exactly in the way you would think, i.e. 100% + 5% will not equal 105%. I seem to recall it was something like percentages over 100% do not "stack", but I didn't really understand how exactly. Could be the same with coated optics/binos, although I've never hear about anyone using both.

As I understand it, firing reduces your camo to zero for five seconds. I've never used a camo net as I tend to play TDs aggressively, so no more insights about that.

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Dassem_ #5 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32136 battles
  • [AFK]

1&2. It don't, but it does, so that means... 100% is a soft cap. It still reads 100% (as I knew), but it actually works like 110%. Yet it doesn't fully, maybe or probably, or does it?

I also notice from http://wiki.wargamin..._are_calculated

"Your tank will not (...) become heavier with more experienced crew."

that means I can forcefeed them chocolate, coke and pudding withouth worrying about them getting fat and slowing me down! (I don't include forcefeeding them soviet combat rations, which would probably only make them sick...)

The same link does not, as far as I can see, mention diminishing returns when going over 100%

Edited by Dassem_Ultor_, 20 October 2015 - 01:34 PM.

Dassem_ #6 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32136 battles
  • [AFK]

but...

http://wiki.wargamin...s_and_Penalties

• The Premium Consumables Bonus: If at the start of a battle the vehicle is carrying any purchased premium consumables that enhance Training Level it will provide a flat 10% addition to the Training Level of the Major Qualification and to that of any acquired Skills for each crew member. There is no Bonus effect on Perks. The Bonus is added for the entire duration of the battle, and it applies even if the Major Qualification or Skill Training Level is at 100%, ie 100+10=110%. The Training Level enhancing premium consumables are available for purchase by country and are:
  • Extra Combat Rations are only available for Soviet vehicles.
  • Case of Cola is only available for American vehicles.
  • Chocolate is only available for German vehicles.
  • Pudding and Tea is only available for British vehicles.
  • Strong Coffee is only available for French vehicles.
  • Improved Combat Rations are only available for Chinese vehicles.
  • Onigiri is only available for Japanese vehicles.
  • The Improved Ventilation Equipment Bonus: If at the start of a battle the vehicle is equipped with any purchased and installed Improved Ventilation equipment it will provide a flat 5% addition to the Training Level of the Major Qualification and to that of any acquired Skills for each crew member. There is no Bonus effect on Perks. The Bonus addition is effective for the entire battle and will remain effectgive for so long as the equipment is installed on the vehicle. The Bonus effect applies even if the Major Qualification or Skill Training Level is at 100%, ie 100+5=105%.

this leads me to believe there are no diminished returns...

Huwie_ #7 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37019 battles
  • [AFK]

When you fire you expose yoursef by noise, muzzle flash and some movement. Hence why you are exposed within a certain range,

i use cammo to disappear with mefiums etc. Its works well in low tiers as most players will just move on to the next target and forget you. Also useful second line TD play. As you can reverse out of view and disappear making them target others (in a dogfight). 

I use cammo a lot. 

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Hy! From Active Frontline Klan

_SilverSpirit_ #8 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 38998 battles

1. Yes, but its more like +5% with extra combat rations.

2. Yes, but its more like +2.5% with vents.

3. Not sure.

4. When you fire a shot you are spotted. Back up(behind a hill, rock) so there is no direct eyesight to your tank, count to 5 and camo is reset.

Edited by boooom178, 20 October 2015 - 01:47 PM.

romsitsa #9 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 52653 battles
  • [VG]

Coated optics and binoculars can't stack. Coated optics is the basic sight, binoculars works only if tank is stationary for a few secs. Basically you switch from one instrument to another while camping/sniping.

A

Riggmaster #10 Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14113 battles
  • [N2KU]

View Postromsitsa, on 20 October 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

Coated optics and binoculars can't stack. Coated optics is the basic sight, binoculars works only if tank is stationary for a few secs. Basically you switch from one instrument to another while camping/sniping.

A

View range still stacks but it gives less view range I believe...

Kriljoy #11 Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11483 battles

View Postboooom178, on 20 October 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

3. Not sure.

4. When you fire a shot you are spotted. Back up(behind a hill, rock) so there is no direct eyesight to your tank, count to 5 and camo is reset.

4. If you have at least 10 meters or so to a bush in front of you when you fire, the bush will still contribute to your camo and hence make you a little bit more difficult to spot even when firing.

Ellistiger #12 Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:49 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 48971 battles
  • [AFK]
Don't really know the answers so I bow to the greater knowledge already on display but after reading forum users comments I have started to use vents and gun stabilisation on all tanks and WOW it's made a massive difference . Don't know how but it does ! 

AFK   And proud of it ! 

Dassem_ #13 Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32136 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostHuwie_, on 20 October 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

When you fire you expose yoursef by noise, muzzle flash and some movement. Hence why you are exposed within a certain range,

that would be "the obvious r/l reason" :)

View Postboooom178, on 20 October 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

but why? how do we know this, when wot battle mechanics says its a flat bonus and also say 100+10=110%?

_SilverSpirit_ #14 Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 38998 battles

View PostDassem_Ultor_, on 20 October 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

but why? how do we know this, when wot battle mechanics says its a flat bonus and also say 100+10=110%?

Read it in another thread, awhile back. Also see this.

Edited by boooom178, 20 October 2015 - 03:26 PM.

Huwie_ #15 Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37019 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostDassem_Ultor_, on 20 October 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

that would be "the obvious r/l reason" :)

D'oh!

But dont forget that the crew members would all be shouting "Boom!! Take that!! Haha" or if you are Joseolas "whyyyyyyyy but whyyyyy" 

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Hy! From Active Frontline Klan

AlSanchez74 #16 Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 58697 battles
  • [VG]

I think the way vents/chocolate etc. work is that they add whatever percentage they add to your crew skill, whether it's at 100% or not, so yes, if your crew are 100% and you add vents, then your crew are now at effectively 105%. The confusion arises because that 5% crew skill bonus doesn't alter the tanks stats (such as aim time, view range or reload) by an actual 5%. It alters them by 5 percentage points on an arbitrary scale of how fast/far/good the crew are at a given level of mastery. Another way to look at it is that if your crew have got 50% crew mastery, your aiming time isn't twice as long or your view range half as far as it would be with 100% crew. Having 50% crew mastery puts those stats at about 75% (actual) of what they would be with 100% crew.

I believe the way the optics work is that the coated optics work all the time, but for the binoculars to start working you have to have been stationary for three seconds, and the moment you start moving again, they stop working. If you carry both, the view range bonuses don't stack. You get the bonus from one or the other, but not a cumulative bonus from both at the same time.

Dassem_ #17 Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32136 battles
  • [AFK]

mhmm... so the crew stats are always half of what they seem. regardless of having reached 100% or not, because crew skill is set up as a multiplier of 0.5 of its value. This would also mean a crew of 75% are only 12.5% slower than one of 100%, and a crew of 50% only 25% slower than one of 100%, right? Good to know.

This raises the question of the rammer. Is this also only half, or is it actual, as it does not affect performance by way of crew skill? And adrenaline? Certainly feels like it is the numbers given, without me having timed it precisely.

Also, if vents only help 2.5%, are they really worth it?

Dassem_ #18 Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32136 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostAlSanchez74, on 20 October 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

I think the way vents/chocolate etc. work is that they add whatever percentage they add to your crew skill, whether it's at 100% or not, so yes, if your crew are 100% and you add vents, then your crew are now at effectively 105%. The confusion arises because that 5% crew skill bonus doesn't alter the tanks stats (such as aim time, view range or reload) by an actual 5%. It alters them by 5 percentage points on an arbitrary scale of how fast/far/good the crew are at a given level of mastery. Another way to look at it is that if your crew have got 50% crew mastery, your aiming time isn't twice as long or your view range half as far as it would be with 100% crew. Having 50% crew mastery puts those stats at about 75% (actual) of what they would be with 100% crew.

I believe the way the optics work is that the coated optics work all the time, but for the binoculars to start working you have to have been stationary for three seconds, and the moment you start moving again, they stop working. If you carry both, the view range bonuses don't stack. You get the bonus from one or the other, but not a cumulative bonus from both at the same time.

there I go. Ty, it's all starting to make more sense now, in its own slightly illogical way. :)

Kriljoy #19 Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:12 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11483 battles

View PostDassem_Ultor_, on 20 October 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

mhmm... so the crew stats are always half of what they seem. regardless of having reached 100% or not, because crew skill is set up as a multiplier of 0.5 of its value. This would also mean a crew of 75% are only 12.5% slower than one of 100%, and a crew of 50% only 25% slower than one of 100%, right? Good to know.

This raises the question of the rammer. Is this also only half, or is it actual, as it does not affect performance by way of crew skill? And adrenaline? Certainly feels like it is the numbers given, without me having timed it precisely.

Also, if vents only help 2.5%, are they really worth it?

Matter of opinion I guess. Some say it's worth for meds but not for heavies etc. Still, it is 2,5% for ALL the stats; camo, vis. range, aiming time, reload time etc. Pretty good i reckon.

monkeymorc #20 Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29624 battles
  • [-SND-]

4. Camo will have different kind of values, depending on what tank you drive, drive or stand still, shoot, have camonet and bushes, thiclnes of the bush and how far behind you are. And your crewskills; camo vents choclet etc.You can calculate this on this site :

http://www.wotinfo.net/en

it is for pc but also a little usefull for blitz.

Edited by monkeymorc, 22 October 2015 - 04:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users