Newbee on German heavies. What am I doning wrong?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

TGZGunner #21 Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

some really good advice here from all you guys.. thanks for all the input.. i enjoy reading tactics.

I get a lot of good strategy guides and help from watching my other team mates when in live battle, and it does help a lot to see how they handle the tank, picking good spots on the map, and outwitting a stronger tank makes the game very pleasurable. Even the very slow german heavy's ive seen them being driven nimble and efficient and it gives you the ability to try to implement the same tactics in your own game play.

I think we have all done it.. gone ahead and trying to get the next tier up tank coz you think your current one is too weak, and then your WR is destroyed because of impatience. Im now back in tier 3 tanks, and ive really surprised myself by repairing my WR in the lower tiers to the point that on a BT7 Ive got 100% WR (every other of my tanks is below 50%.. lol) and Im now enjoying the battles because i can see exactly what i was doing wrong before.

Keep up the good work guys we thank you all enormously.

IrmaBecx #22 Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32168 battles
  • [AFK]
Hy, and welcome to the forum, TGZGunner! 

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

TGZGunner #23 Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostIrmaBecx, on 24 November 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

Hy, and welcome to the forum, TGZGunner! 

arthurrietveld #24 Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1361 battles

I washed some youtubes now and it's helpfull. Jet I wonder if the game changed since some of them were made. I see the tutors leave be tanks they can't beat all the time, but that does never work for me. They all seem to hunt me. I'm outnumbered a lot. It seems all want to kill me first. Had a couple of games were I'm the only heavy and my team leaves me for dead right away. E.g. on Oasis P. All greens head for the dunes NW and the reds must do the opposite. (You can smell it cause the scouts don't spot sh#t) Off course they do and I'm flanked by 5 reds and in the frontline. And my team you wonder? All stay sniping from the NW.

On the other hand; in most games with a decent chance, I do more damage than my own hitpool is big, jet I die. 

One thing on the side scraping. I heard a tutor say the turret Armour of tiger 1 is 200 mm. But it's only 100. What is sidescaping or hulldown worth when anyone can pen your turret??? The tutors bounce a lot with the tracks. I manage to get that better now, but it seems they are mostly aiming for my turret anyway.

TGZGunner #25 Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:53 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postarthurrietveld, on 25 November 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

I washed some youtubes now and it's helpfull. Jet I wonder if the game changed since some of them were made. I see the tutors leave be tanks they can't beat all the time, but that does never work for me. They all seem to hunt me. I'm outnumbered a lot. It seems all want to kill me first. Had a couple of games were I'm the only heavy and my team leaves me for dead right away. E.g. on Oasis P. All greens head for the dunes NW and the reds must do the opposite. (You can smell it cause the scouts don't spot sh#t) Off course they do and I'm flanked by 5 reds and in the frontline. And my team you wonder? All stay sniping from the NW.

On the other hand; in most games with a decent chance, I do more damage than my own hitpool is big, jet I die. 

One thing on the side scraping. I heard a tutor say the turret Armour of tiger 1 is 200 mm. But it's only 100. What is sidescaping or hulldown worth when anyone can pen your turret??? The tutors bounce a lot with the tracks. I manage to get that better now, but it seems they are mostly aiming for my turret anyway.

i feel your frustration, it happens to us all. The game hasnt changed since the youtube vids, some of the maps have been modified a bit and the tanks, but thats all. Gameplay is the same, and if you are the only heavy in a battle its very likely that the reds have only one heavy also, mostly the MM system will try to equal out the teams so each side as pretty much the same tanks. If you are the odd one in the team i get your frustration, but play the game the best you can in such a situation, if you punish the reds as much as you can you have given the team an edge to win. Giving the reds as much damage as you can will give you a good result in XP and credits at the end of the battle. WR Stats is not everything in my view, its about proving your own skill, and if your team is defeated but you are at the top of the score board, then you have done what you needed to do to prove your skill.

On your other question, the reds will pen your turret if they know your tanks HP, in the higher tiers, the players are more savvy to the tanks weak spots, so take note of that when you are in battle. If they are trying to pen your turret , move to a different spot and use a different tactic, it takes some practice ive been there my self you just want to finish the job and blow that tank to bits, but sometimes its better to move away and take another position. For me im trying to master punishing a tank while moving around the enemy, and it takes some skill, while your driving, circling the enemy and firing shells at the same time, whilst hitting a weak spot is not easy with my fat fingers.. hehe.

Live long and prosper (as Spock used to say :-))

Mockney_piers #26 Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8586 battles

I think depending on turret armour is more of a hull down thing.

Sidescraping is really more about trying to get them to bounce off your sides or get the tracks to eat up shots and then popping out for a shot when it's safe to do so.

Though to be fair Tiger 1 isn't especially good at either ;)

I didn't start to get on with the Tiger until I stopped playing it like a heavy, and played it more like a medium, or heavium as people call tanks like that. IS likewise (though it behaves much better as a heavy than the tiger, it's fast!!!)

Edited by Mockney_piers, 25 November 2015 - 11:45 AM.

arthurrietveld #27 Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1361 battles

View PostTGZGunner, on 25 November 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

For me im trying to master punishing a tank while moving around the enemy, and it takes some skill, while your driving, circling the enemy and firing shells at the same time, whilst hitting a weak spot is not easy with my fat fingers.. hehe.

Live long and prosper (as Spock used to say :-))

Haha. Me neither. This multitasking is hard. I had 2 battles in a row on copperfield yesterday comming from the south I believe. I went to the house at the middle near the transport band and sidescraped myself into an succes. I died but not before doing more than 2000 damage (with the short 88 still). Next up I though I found a good place on this map and repeat. But now I was against 2 heavies and 1 invisible medium, and a sniper from the west made it impossible to relocate. 

I guess I will focus on damage done and forget about winrate. 

Edited by arthurrietveld, 25 November 2015 - 11:56 AM.

Philholt101 #28 Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4200 battles
  • [ALBAB]

View Postarthurrietveld, on 25 November 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Haha. Me neither. This multitasking is hard. I had 2 battles in a row on copperfield yesterday comming from the south I believe. I went to the house at the middle near the transport band and sidescraped myself into an succes. I died but not before doing more than 2000 damage (with the short 88 still). Next up I though I found a good place on this map and repeat. But now I was against 2 heavies and 1 invisible medium, and a sniper from the west made it impossible to relocate. 

I guess I will focus on damage done and forget about winrate. 

The thing you need to concentrate on his your hit rate aim for 80% as a minimum German heavies have very accurate guns. Use sniper mode but don't drive around the battlefield in it. Carry a mixed load of ammo and make sure your using the right shells for the situation (if you carry prammo don't use it all the time it will bounce).

when you got your tiger did you just go for the guns when you upgraded it or have you gone engines and tracks too. I ask because with the top engines and tracks it really can hustle around the battlefield.

i will go back to my original comment at less than 800 games you really need to drop down a couple of tiers to learn how to play in your tiger you'll come up against tiger2 E75 IS-3 and T44 unless your very very lucky these will all eat you. After over 1800 games I still rarely go into Tier 8 as I can still be too much of a noob. When you do play watch and follow other players in similar tanks support them and try to learn from their actions I did and it's helped me to get over 50% win rate and over 80% hit rate. You'll enjoy the game more as you become a better player

arthurrietveld #29 Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1361 battles
I was fed up with matchm quite soon, so I wanted to reach tier 10 asap. Realise now that s nog the best way.

Philholt101 #30 Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4200 battles
  • [ALBAB]
Stick with it lots try to go that way first lol. My advice would be to drop back down to either the DW2 or VK30.01H (with the waffe mounted) learn to play these 2 if you want to stick with the German line. Also try different types I started up both German and Russian TD line and learned a lot particularly how and when to switch ammo and particularly how and when to use HE. Stick with the game you will get better and start to enjoy it. Get used to being called a noob now and again I have but then I'm still a noob. I'm still learning but getting better. Remember it is just a game and enjoy yourself

Edited by Philholt101, 27 November 2015 - 09:12 PM.

martindogger #31 Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34185 battles
  • [EMRS]

View Postarthurrietveld, on 27 November 2015 - 04:08 PM, said:

I was fed up with matchm quite soon, so I wanted to reach tier 10 asap. Realise now that s nog the best way.

Definitely not. What's it with people thinking MM will be at their mercy once they reach tier X? You'll have a tank with more armour gun etc. But so does  the enemy.  And they might have 10k games under their belts and a lot of experience in tier X.

Do look me up in game Arthur. Fellow Dutch player I presume so that might make it easier to talk. Also, check out my YT channel at YouTube.com/martindogger 

Load Aim Fire! ... my YouTube channel - 5400+ subscribers and counting 

World of Tanks Blitz | World of Tanks Console | generic noobness guaranteed

Check our FB page at www.facebook.com/loadaimfire

TGZGunner #32 Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

The MM system can be soul destroying at times, like today I have been in 8 consecutive battles with my tier 6 cromwell and every battle i was put with un-balanced weak players who all seem to be on a suicide mission to get themselves killed within the first 30 seconds of the battle. 

I fail to understand why they are all in such a mad panic to get destroyed. There is enough time to analyse the map ..consult with team mates on strategy, but it never seems to happen. Im left to defeat 6 tanks all on my own which is near impossible when they force the battle by camping on the CAP.

I dont know why that happens that i seem to get put on a weak team most of the time, and the reds always seem to be co-ordinated and together as a group. They even have eyes in there tank rears, coz even i try to sneak up behind them they seem to know im there, and their shooting skills are marksmen standards.

arthurrietveld #33 Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1361 battles
I'm trying the leopard line now, and I do a lot better. I might be getting better, or I'm just more a medium player. I guess I will focus on my driving skill a bit more next to doing heavies. Will look you up in game Martin. 

Mockney_piers #34 Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8586 battles

Ah, the PzIII.

One of the best tanks in the game imo.

Don't sell it once you've researched next tank, only when average damage is over 400, then you'll be ready. I had it over 900 for my last 30 games in it, a real beast in tier 4.

It's a brilliant lesson in good medium play this tank, whilst also being a good allrounder, meaning you can practice techniques like hull down angling and sidescraping in it.

Also be sure to bring at least 10 apcr with you for those tier 5 games (remember, you can buy it with silver credits).

martindogger #35 Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34185 battles
  • [EMRS]

View Postarthurrietveld, on 01 December 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

I'm trying the leopard line now, and I do a lot better. I might be getting better, or I'm just more a medium player. I guess I will focus on my driving skill a bit more next to doing heavies. Will look you up in game Martin. 

View PostMockney_piers, on 02 December 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Don't sell it once you've researched next tank, only when average damage is over 400, then you'll be ready. I had it over 900 for my last 30 games in it, a real beast in tier 4.

Looking forward to it arthur. Feel free to drop in on our Teamspeak too. Details on www.empros-clan.eu.

Ditto mockney, Pz. III is one of the best tanks in game and a great platform to learn medium skills. I've been playing Centurion and Pz. III in the same timeframe and my overall skills have improved a lot while driving those tanks. 

Mockney_piers #36 Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8586 battles

View Postmartindogger, on 02 December 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

. I've been playing Centurion and Pz. III in the same timeframe and my overall skills have improved a lot while driving those tanks. 

How, by all that is most treasured in this forsaken world of ours, did you manage a 1.8 spot rate in the centurion 1 ?!?!?!?!?!?! 

I quite literally doff my hat to you sir.

hson_hson #37 Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 30342 battles

View PostMockney_piers, on 03 December 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

How, by all that is most treasured in this forsaken world of ours, did you manage a 1.8 spot rate in the centurion 1 ?!?!?!?!?!?! 

Coated + tea&pudding helps a lot to start off with.

Mockney_piers #38 Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8586 battles

View Posthson_hson, on 03 December 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

Coated + tea&pudding helps a lot to start off with.

fair dues. I'm far too stingy to buy rations for my tanks over tier 5. no premium makes it very expensive imo.

Geniune question, I'm not sure I fully understand vents, but reading some of the discussions on here, they seem to give a big bonus whilst crew is under 100% but improvements get marginal when they're fully trained. 

Is that right?

Would you ditch vents for optics when crew is at 100% in some tanks?

martindogger #39 Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34185 battles
  • [EMRS]

View PostMockney_piers, on 03 December 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

I have noob protect, so I can do yolo Rambo mode in my Stalinium coated Centurionski ...:trollface:

I exploit all the ridges and hills I can get. I'm usually up front, so I get quite some spotting done. Optics indeed fitted', plus vents and rammer. That's my basic load for any medium really. I also run repair, multi kit and speed boost.

Mockney_piers #40 Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8586 battles

not vstabs? interesting, aim time is often difference between being hit and not imo, i'd trade in vents for that.

Sure, centurion, ridges and hills, i get that, it's just speed limited to 40kph, so people are usually there before me is all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users