Newbee on German heavies. What am I doning wrong?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

85swatMT #41 Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 3376 battles

I recommend you to play more games in tier 4 - you play only +1 tier not +2 and those KV1, M4 give you good lessons and prepare you for higher tiers. You have no experience for Tiger or any high tier tank.

Try also Pz IV D it is really fun to play - killer machine, just keep under cover and use depression. You then have to play with Pz IV A - the beast in tier 3. You really missed 2 very good tanks. Their guns have lower rof but high alpha. You will be more under cover, maybe it will fit to your play style.

I liked Pz III at the beginning but last 10 games I was almost always in tier 5 games and that low penetration just killed fun and I sold it. Well, it was maybe mistake, but only Covenanter and its Bofors gun got the worse pen numbers. I believe PZ III needs either platoon mate or good team to excel.

There is also one crazy tank in tier 4 - M8A1 - it is US TD with turret, very small, quick and with great guns - both 57 mm Gun M1 and also 3-inch AT Gun M7 worth trying. You are always on move otherwise you are dead but it is fun. Personally I prefer 3-inch AT Gun, not sure why, maybe it push me to be more under cover. I really hated it when starting this game, but now I love it :)

Edited by 85swatMT, 03 December 2015 - 02:08 PM.

hson_hson #42 Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 30342 battles

View PostMockney_piers, on 03 December 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

fair dues. I'm far too stingy to buy rations for my tanks over tier 5. no premium makes it very expensive imo.

Geniune question, I'm not sure I fully understand vents, but reading some of the discussions on here, they seem to give a big bonus whilst crew is under 100% but improvements get marginal when they're fully trained. 

Is that right?

Would you ditch vents for optics when crew is at 100% in some tanks?

Yes, unless you have premium account, rations is a bit pricy.

Well, since vents boost crew skill with 5%, the percentual boost is higher when your base crew skill is lower.

I.e at a crew skill level of 50% adding 5% makes much more difference than adding that extra 5% when its already at 100.

I used to have vents on all tanks, but 5-6k games ago I ditched them on all my meds in favor for coated optics instead.

So my basic setup look like this (in order of importance)

Meds: vstab+coated+rammer and multirepair+repair+rations

I have adrenaline instead of repair kit on some on a test basis, but I've found myself multi-tracked so many times that having two repair kit have taken me out of trouble more times than I could have outgunned someone just because of adrenaline. But I know that Quallo_Musto have the opposite view...

Heavy: vstab+rammer+vents and multirepair+repair+rations

TD: rammer+GLD+vents and multirepair+repair+rations

Mockney_piers #43 Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8586 battles

View Posthson_hson, on 03 December 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

Well, since vents boost crew skill with 5%, the percentual boost is higher when your base crew skill is lower.

I.e at a crew skill level of 50% adding 5% makes much more difference than adding that extra 5% when its already at 100.

Meds: vstab+coated+rammer and multirepair+repair+rations

I think it was worse than that, herewigo, an old thread, so for reasons I still can't fathom, 5% is really only 2.5% http://forum.wotblit...2795#entry22795

yeah i go same on consumables generally, above tier 5 ill go autoextinguisher instead of rations.

That second repair has saved me more times than i care to recall.

Edited by Mockney_piers, 04 December 2015 - 09:54 AM.

EmmentalMaker #44 Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4623 battles
  • [FK_8]

Hi all tank lovers and thank you so much - I'm a newbie in WOT and in this forum, and prefering German gear for some reason, and all your advice is extremely priceless! I now have Pz.III, Marder II, SU-76 and T-25, and haven't upgraded for a while. What direction would you recommend I proceed? I like ambushing rather than pushing forward. Thnx in advance!

IrmaBecx #45 Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:16 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32168 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostEmmentalMaker, on 04 December 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

Hi all tank lovers and thank you so much - I'm a newbie in WOT and in this forum, and prefering German gear for some reason, and all your advice is extremely priceless! I now have Pz.III, Marder II, SU-76 and T-25, and haven't upgraded for a while. What direction would you recommend I proceed? I like ambushing rather than pushing forward. Thnx in advance!

Hy and welcome, EmmentalMaker.

I would suggest german tank destroyers and medium/heavies, essentially the E-100 and Jpz E-100 lines. Do yourself a favour and get the Pz IV A and Pz IV D and then go for the Tiger I via the Pz IV. These tanks will teach you a lot and are fun to play. Both have guns with high alpha damage and so-so armour. The german TDs are all fantastic after the StuG III, make sure you go for the Ferdinand instead of JP II. You'll like the Jagdpanther a lot.

A lot of people like higher tier russian TDs as well, and the SU-85B is a beast at tier IV, they say, so keep at that Su-76. But tier V is where it all starts to happen, you'll meet two tiers higher and learn to cooperate with your team. For that you'll want to be in the StuG III or Pz IV. Both are solid designs with no particular outstanding features, just all round good tanks.

People will tell you the germans are more difficult to play, and they are, but don't let that influence your decision, if you want to drive germans, drive germans. There is no substitute for looking cool. I started out with the german tech tree and never looked back, now have 15 tanks or so, all german.

Set yourself a goal for grinding, like say the Tiger or the Ferdinand, and keep playing for that. But also try to keep as many lower tier tanks as you can, and keep playing and learning even when you have "Mastered" a tank and researched all modules. When you reach your goal. go back and think about the tanks you played to get there, go back to them and see if they have more to teach you. They probably will, and by then you'll have a good idea about how you'll want to proceed.

Good luck with your tanks, and keep us posted!

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

martindogger #46 Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34185 battles
  • [EMRS]

View PostEmmentalMaker, on 04 December 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

Three words first. Take your time.

And then some more. Don't rush up the tiers thinking a better tank will make you a better player. You have a stronger tank. But so does the rest. And odds are they have experience. And the higher you get, the more likely it is they have a lot of experience.

Use the lower tiers to build up map knowledge. Learn to 'read' the game and line up of both teams. And ditto the above remarks. The Pz IV A and D are both good tanks that learn you to take your time and use terrain. 

On my YT channel I have a video on situational awareness where I use the Pz IV D. You might want to check it out at https://youtu.be/8o0VLB72pz8

Load Aim Fire! ... my YouTube channel - 5400+ subscribers and counting 

World of Tanks Blitz | World of Tanks Console | generic noobness guaranteed

Check our FB page at www.facebook.com/loadaimfire

Schlarb #47 Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 57334 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postmartindogger, on 05 December 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

Three words first. Take your time.

And then some more. Don't rush up the tiers thinking a better tank will make you a better player. You have a stronger tank. But so does the rest. And odds are they have experience. And the higher you get, the more likely it is they have a lot of experience.

Use the lower tiers to build up map knowledge. Learn to 'read' the game and line up of both teams. And ditto the above remarks. The Pz IV A and D are both good tanks that learn you to take your time and use terrain. 

On my YT channel I have a video on situational awareness where I use the Pz IV D. You might want to check it out at https://youtu.be/8o0VLB72pz8

Truer words were seldom spoken...

And, do NOT buy a premium high tier tank until you have played a lot of games in the same tier, or above. 

God hunting!

JoseOlas #48 Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 71210 battles
  • [PHNX]
Spall liner :trollface:

Simon_Essex #49 Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:29 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 20966 battles
  • [D-D2]

This may just be the single most helpful thread I've read on the forums! I've clocked just over 4000 battles with a WR hovering at around 50% but still consider myself a newbie. I've played all the nationalities; all the tank types and slogged up to Tier 8 and the Tiger II (in which I royally suck - WR 40% after 160 battles).

My Christmas project was de-noobing the DW2. I read the forum threads; watched the YouTube videos and now my stats are green and (light) purple instead of red and black! Going back down the Tiers can be really helpful. Apart from the ego boost of seal clubbing, it does make you think about more than just getting a red in your sights and blasting away!

A couple of stand-out points for me are:

1) Don't be afraid to use some premammo. I used to think it was cheating but now carry at least 6 shells in all my tanks for those tight corners and when you're being monstered by a bully two tiers higher!

2) Premium tanks can be great for boosting income, but there's little point in buying a high tier one if you haven't served your time and worked your way up. 

Anyway, great thread guys. Should be required reading before anyone is allowed to graduate above Tier 5. If you'll excuse me, I have to get back to reading 'Situational Awareness for Gold Noobs'. 

PS - German heavies is 'the hard line' but I still love it when it all comes together in my Tiger I!

IrmaBecx #50 Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:39 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32168 battles
  • [AFK]

Just a quick heads up: in case you didn't know, the D.W. 2 (now known as the Death Wagen) has gotten the top 7,5 cm L/43 gun from the Pz IV D, and is now perhaps the best low tier vehicle to learn how to do the Heavy in - especially the German Heavy.

A lot of experienced players already liked the Death Wagen with the 5 cm, but I never really felt it was a proper Heavy tank. Now it is, the L/43 is a very capable weapon with better Alpha damage and it is more representative of the higher tier Heavys.

Skills to learn in the D.W. 2 are side scraping, angling, wiggling and hull down. Learning to bounce shots is one of the most useful skills in the game. Otherwise, pretty much the same deal as the Pz IV D - learn to take on higher tier opponents and prey on their weaknesses. KV-1s, Matildas, Hetzers, AT-2s and T-40s all have their higher tier counterparts, and if you can take them on in the D.W. 2, you'll be well on your way to being more successful in higher tiers.

A word of warning: some people say the Death Wagen is now overpowered. It is not. What it is is a very balanced vehicle that experienced players will immediately recognise as one that can perform well in. Don't let this talk of OP-ness give you a false sense of security, you still need to drive it well to make it work. A reasonably good player in a D.W. 2 can easily take out two less experienced players in D.W. 2s on the red team, for reasons stated above; they will keep their head down, angle, sidescrape and peek-a-boom, and they won't get frustrated and leave cover to let you get a shot in.

By the same token; don't let other D.W. 2s scare you. There are a lot of clueless players driving the D.W. 2 on their way to the Tiger I, and since the Tiger is one of the most notorious and well known tanks in history, that's not going to change. If you stick with it, you'll go through them like gas through silk underwear. And if you do happen upon a super-unicum player in a D.W. 2 and get slaughtered, don't feel bad. Just say "well played" in chat and stay to watch what they're doing, still one of the best ways to learn. Or why not ask them to platoon a few games and show you how it's done?

Hope you have enjoyed this short presentation of the "Death Wagen", the "baby E 75" or the ""Tier IV Terror", whatever you want to call it. I'll leave you with a final point on ammo selection. Carry a few APCR rounds (don't pay gold for them, pay credits!) for extra penetration, but try not to use them. Carry mostly regular AP, and then some HE shells as needed. As you may know, HE rounds had their penetration nerfed a few updates ago, but that does not make them useless. Do yourself a favor and download the Armour Inspector app, make sure settings are for Blitz (not PC), choose the 7,5 L/43 gun from the D.W. 2 as the gun firing, and set ammo to HE. Then go through all tier III, IV and V vehicles as targets. Some, like the Matilda, you won't be able to penetrate, but a lot of lower tier tanks can be reliably penned from the sides and rear with HE, some even from the front! 

Armed with this knowledge, when in game, press the ammo selector button and let it stay open so you can change ammo in a flash. When you do, press twice so the tab is always open, that way you can change back quickly if needed. A few well placed HE shots will maximise your damage; you'll do 200 plus instead of 160, and in lower tiers this can make a huge difference. You do, however, run the risk of making less damage if your aim is a bit off.

This technique is pretty advanced, and as a new player you might want to skip it. It is a useful skill to learn, lots of players fire the odd HE round even in higher tier games, but do not let it interfere with your situational awareness. Being aware of the terrain and what's happening around you is still the most important thing.

Good luck, carry harder, and stay safe on the battlefield!

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

martindogger #51 Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34185 battles
  • [EMRS]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 09 January 2016 - 02:39 AM, said:

A lot of experienced players already liked the Death Wagen with the 5 cm, but I never really felt it was a proper Heavy tank. Now it is, the L/43 is a very capable weapon with better Alpha damage and it is more representative of the higher tier Heavys.

Come to think of it. The DW with the L/60 might be a good training tank for the high RoF British heavies.

Load Aim Fire! ... my YouTube channel - 5400+ subscribers and counting 

World of Tanks Blitz | World of Tanks Console | generic noobness guaranteed

Check our FB page at www.facebook.com/loadaimfire

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users