Be a leader or a follower?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

tomsoddy #1 Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2942 battles

Hi guys, 

* Talking mainly about tiers 5-8 right now, as I have no idea about 9 and 10. 

Be playing a lot recently and watched/read a ton of good advice. I feel like I know the strong points on the maps which you want to fight for. 

I always try to advise my fellow team members to take the map advantage areas but normally with no success. 

So I guess my question is, do you guys try to lead the team or simply follow the biggest group of tanks to try and back them up.

Thanks for your input. 

martindogger #2 Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34048 battles
  • [EMRS]

A lot of this is situational.

What are the line-ups of both teams? Are you in a platoon? Are you top, middle or bottom tier? What strengths does your tank posses? How can you exploit these?What weaknesses does your tank have? How do I shield these from harm?

General rule of thumb: bottom tier, stay with the big guns. Top tier, lead the pack.

And you should also play your 'own' game without abandoning team altogether. You mostly can't rely on teammates, unless you know them. 

Small example of me trying to be useful in tier X while driving tier VIII Pershing:

Load Aim Fire! ... my YouTube channel - 5400+ subscribers and counting 

World of Tanks Blitz | World of Tanks Console | generic noobness guaranteed

Check our FB page at www.facebook.com/loadaimfire

tomsoddy #3 Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2942 battles

Ok thanks, I guess I'm still trying to find a good balance between the times I play my own game and the times where I should assist the team where possible. 

Thanks for the video share as well was very useful.

IrmaBecx #4 Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 31998 battles
  • [AFK]

I try to communicate with my team, at least initially. Sometimes a simple left or right will be enough. When I play NGLs, I always let the team know I'm trying to get some initial spots so they'll know I'm not just Yoloing.

I find little things like this can often turn the tide of battle and keep together a team that would otherwise spread out to be picked off one by one. Knowing what one other tank on your team is doing can be an advantage and best case will help the greens make better tactical decisions.

What Martin says is true, Ideally you'll be in a strong tank and be able to lead your team to victory. If you are top tier in a support vehicle, that will be a problem for you. Sometimes, communicating with your team can help in these situations especially if you want the team to go one way and you the other. I'll admit it doesn't always work, but neier do snapshots and I still try those every chance I get.

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

karlhulme #5 Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17529 battles
Think we've all had those awkward teams. I say left, no reaction, set off left they all go right. Even worse you get bombarded with affirmative and they all do the opposite. I find its much better to receive a barrage of negative,at least you know where you stand . Many a time I've made the mistake of following the suggestion of the highest tier against my instincts only to find that after a heavy defeat the top tier has a win rate of 38% and 1200 battles. What I do appreciate is helpful coaching and advice from dead teammates,rare but it does happen.

tomsoddy #6 Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2942 battles

This happens to me all to often as well. Without fail I'll say at least left or right to start the game off but I understand I cannot control them to my will ha. 

Well I'll just keep up the chat a hope in time everyone comes to learn that communication will benefit the team. 

Dakoli_Sokoli #7 Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4873 battles

I have much less battles than you so take this reply with a grain of salt, but here are my 2 cents about this. Generally if you are top tier, like Martin said, you should be leading the pack, and people will mostly follow you. If you are a low in the list, stay behind higher tier tanks, (Preferably Heavies.) (Don't block their retreat path!) and provide 2nd-line support fire don't expose yourself too much, because some people might target you because you are a juicy low tier tank.

Tell them important positions at the start of the battle, be detailed enough so that unexperienced players might grasp it, but also be quick to type it down, so that you won't be stuck at the start of the battle losing valuable seconds typing, positions like (eg: Central Hill on Mines, or Windmill at Winter Malinovka.) I've also noticed that on average using arrows tends to attract more players toward you goal positions (eg: Right! >>>>>>, or Left <<<<<<<<, or even Up ^^^^^^^^^). I hope I helped! :):great:

tomsoddy #8 Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2942 battles

Yeah I started using arrows instead of left/right. Just in case they cannot read English :) 

The_Mighty_Wombat #9 Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39772 battles
  • [-GNA-]

Also be aware that no every player joins early to see the countdown. Not everyone may see chat in this time.

Ive joined late to already see the team running off in all directions.

"<<<<plz" and ">>>>free beer" have a good effect on the weekends.

While I don't always stick with the pack, generally never go further then 1/3-1/2 a map away as you may be too far to help or too far to be helped.

HughDomfok #10 Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27959 battles
  • [VG]

View Posttomsoddy, on 05 March 2016 - 10:48 PM, said:

Yeah I started using arrows instead of left/right. Just in case they cannot read English :) 

when i point left they don't get why i'm "pointing at myself"! :deer:

garyslegg #11 Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 25746 battles
  • [VG]
I normally just do my own thing and then call the rest of the team "noobs" if I die early ;)

martindogger #12 Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34048 battles
  • [EMRS]

View Postgaryslegg, on 06 March 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

I normally just do my own thing and then call the rest of the team "noobs" if I die early ;)

Bummer. When I die early, you never call me noob :(:ohmy: ... I feel disappointed 

Load Aim Fire! ... my YouTube channel - 5400+ subscribers and counting 

World of Tanks Blitz | World of Tanks Console | generic noobness guaranteed

Check our FB page at www.facebook.com/loadaimfire

lateo74 #13 Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 3854 battles
  • [ARR]
Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Any is reasonable but if you're not prepared to take some responsibility for the 'attack' then you have no right to criticism - even if the other 'leader' made the wrong decision

hson_hson #14 Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 30342 battles

View Posttomsoddy, on 05 March 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

So I guess my question is, do you guys try to lead the team or simply follow the biggest group of tanks to try and back them up.

I always try to suggest best tactic to my team regardless of what tank I'm playing and if I'm high or low tier.

However, if I'm low tier or a lightly armored high tier I don't necessarily lead by going at the front.

I always try to play my tank to its strengths.

And if my team decides to go a totally different route I don't just shout "noobs!" and go the "right" way and die alone. 

Instead I either go with them or go such route that I might do some spotting for my team without risking getting killed.

Titus_Scato #15 Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42260 battles
  • [RTR]

Tip:  Unless you are in a very fast tank that can escape easily when outnumbered, never go anywhere alone.  Not even to the best strategic spot on the map.  You can't hold that important position on your own.  If all your team insists on going the wrong way, the best thing to do is give up on your own plan, and follow them.  Strength in numbers can often compensate for a bad route on the map.  You won't help your team by trying to take on 3 or 4 enemy tanks alone, and getting yourself killed.

niceclaws #16 Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:19 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19615 battles
  • [VG-II]
It completely depends on while colour undies I'm wearing. Red and Green I'm all over battle chat giving orders. Blue and grey, I say nothing and follow the herd. Interestingly, socks have no effect.

Titus_Scato #17 Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42260 battles
  • [RTR]

View Postniceclaws, on 09 March 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

It completely depends on while colour undies I'm wearing. Red and Green I'm all over battle chat giving orders. Blue and grey, I say nothing and follow the herd. Interestingly, socks have no effect.

It helps, when playing Blitz, to wear the socks on your feet, not your hands.   :P

ggatsby_1 #18 Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23711 battles
  • [EXLNT]
Right, left, heal is more than enough, considering that most of players wont listen to you. 

_NormanP_ #19 Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31147 battles
  • [ALBA]

Hy

At first I used to do my own thing, the main reason my WR is not good (better than 42% of players apparently Hugh).

Then I grasped the tactics, mediums flank, heavies hold, TD snipe etc.

Getting team mates to play to their strengths is hard though. 

Yes, I still noob out once or twice in a while but, I'm still trying for the team.

Group attacks, three or four tanks, work.

My WR is improving due to the above, slowly but surely, no one is going to win all the time. 

ALBA - Carry harder

Play for team, play hard

Everyone started out as a Noob, just taking me longer to grow up :)

Schoullzen #20 Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 19305 battles
be the male lion of ur pride :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users