A Guide to Tank Destroyers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

MeetThyDoom #1 Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17715 battles
  • [IRMA]

Greetings Tankers! in this guide I will be giving you future pros some handy information on, if not introducing you to Tank Destroyers.

So, first things first …

Err … What is a tank destroyer?

A Tank Destroyer in world of tanks blitz is a fighting vehicle that is designed to fight enemy tanks from distance and destroy them. Hence the name.

To identify A Tank Destroyer you will notice a few things. A TD has triangle symbol whereas a Heavy tank has a diamond with two lines running through it. A heavy tank has a turret and a big gun whereas a tank destroyer has no turret and an even bigger gun. There are many similarities between these two tanks but the Tank Destroyer has better penetration and higher alpha damage than the heavy tank.

Heavy Tank  (Example)                                                   Tank Destroyer  (Example)

Let's look at the different types of tank destroyer. We have assault, sniping, and we have heavy Tank destroyers. How do these tanks fit into these categories you ask?? Well it's divided into three factors. Manoeuvrability, Gun handling, and armour. Take the E25 for example. It fits into the assault category because of its manoeuvrability, gun handling and armour. Speed, it has lots of. Gun handling, is excellent and armour is decent. Take the SU-100Y, average manoeuvrability, Big gun, and little armour. This tank would fit into the sniping category

Gottcha, how do I play a TD?

How to play tank destroyers in general is to provide support to your allies. Now you will need to decide how to play your tank destroyer based on its stats and how it plays.

For example. You're mid tier, the heavy tanks on your team are pressing one flank with the mediums pressing the other, you're gonna need to provide support to your allies. Find a good sniping spot!

Cool, how do I find a ''good'' sniping spot?

Once you know where your support is needed you need to make sure that your sniper spot has a good FOV and that there are as little obstacles as possible that would obstruct your fire against enemy tanks but at the same time keeping your vehicle concealed. To achieve this you should camp as far away as possible from the enemy but not so that your shots are out of range..

Sounds good. You said something about ''heavy'' and ''assault'' tank destroyers. What exactly are they?

Heavy TDs and Assault TDs generally play the same role, they are good for attacking. Take the Ferdinand for example, lot's of frontal armour, big gun and sluggish manoeuvrability. Same goes for the T95.

Then we have the Su-100m1. Good armour, Big gun with lots of alpha damage and good manoeuvrability. Along with the E25 these tanks would fit into the assault category but I suppose Heavy and Assault can be combined into one class.

Get the picture now? Good.

How do I play an assault TD?

Thought you'd never ask!

Play the more Sluggish ones such as the Ferdinand like a heavy tank but very cautiously. Remain behind the heavy tanks, take shots at the enemy and then get into cover while you reload.

When playing a more agile TD such as the Su-100m1 or E25, you should try and flank the enemy, attack them from positions where they'll least expect while their attention is drawn to your team. This takes a huge amount of skill so if you're new to taking these sort of risk then hang about and flank from a distance.

Ok, thanks. Anything else?

Yes, yes there is! There will be a video where I demonstrate these play styles + much more. I will update this post once I have uploaded it.. Thanks for reading folks and happy tanking!!

Roll out!

Check out some of my guides, I'm sure they'll be of use to you.

Guide to the KV-2  Guide to Tank Destroyers  Guide to Armour  Guide to Light Tanks  Guide to not being seen,

jonty_2014 #2 Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:27 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 77589 battles
  • [EMRS]
Good guide - don't forget the turreted TD's in the US line...

Empros is recruiting! Message me in game to apply.

Rumtastik #3 Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 56004 battles
  • [NASTY]
Nice guide, but I'm missing the "mount 152mm gun on su152/isu152 (before grinding bl-10) load...load...load....aim....aim....aim....DEEEEEEERRRRPPPPPPP!!!" part:justwait:

Cancia 'u Maestru, ma 'a Musica e Sempre 'a Stissa 

Noob_Tank_C0mmander #4 Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19651 battles
  • [BWC]

View Postjonty_2014, on 27 April 2016 - 04:27 AM, said:

Good guide - don't forget the turreted TD's in the US line...

agreed.

PinkyPunky_Unicum #5 Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10026 battles
  • [DAUNT]
Nice guide. I liked it. Mayby i buy my T82 again and one shots to tier 3's :justwait:

Unicum olmak demek, istatistik demek degildir. Unicum olmak demek, yerinde durmayı, fark yaratmayı ve hedeften gözünü ayırmamayı bilmektir.

martindogger #6 Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34231 battles
  • [EMRS]
E25 is not an assault TD in my opinion. Yes it's fast and manoeuvrable. But the armour is not good enough.

It's more of a combined scout and sniper. Use excellent camo rating and speed to get other key positions. Use the RoF to hammer away at the reds.

An assault TD has time have good frontal armour or a very big gun. So AT series and the T28/T95 fall in that category like you mentioned. SU-100Y is not a great sniper because of poor gun handling and size. But the gun is monstrous so it should be second line behind main force in choke points.

Load Aim Fire! ... my YouTube channel - 5400+ subscribers and counting 

World of Tanks Blitz | World of Tanks Console | generic noobness guaranteed

Check our FB page at www.facebook.com/loadaimfire

MeetThyDoom #7 Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17715 battles
  • [IRMA]

Since buying an AT15A,  II too have leaned slightly away from assaulting in my E25. I spot, retreat to a nice bush, snipe, and only when the time is right do I flank give it to the enemy up close and personal.

Thanks for your feedback Martin ;)

Edited by MeetThyDoom, 25 July 2016 - 06:05 PM.

Check out some of my guides, I'm sure they'll be of use to you.

Guide to the KV-2  Guide to Tank Destroyers  Guide to Armour  Guide to Light Tanks  Guide to not being seen,

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users