Irma drives Tanks: Type 1 Chi-he, best in the game?

tank philosophy irmadrivestanks chi-he

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

HughDomfok #21 Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27832 battles
  • [VG]
aside from the -15 depression, isn't it just a bigger & slower ke-ho?

IrmaBecx #22 Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:46 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23684 battles
  • [IRMA]

View Postlancejack202, on 03 August 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

It suits me well, to my surprise.

The speed, armour and HP are nothing special.

The guns (57mm and 75mm) also, OK but not breathtaking. Having said that, I agree with Irma tgat the 57mm is rather groovy if you know what you are doing.

Quick move to flank, wait, come in while reds are busy and basically bum them.

Precisely - these tanks really aren't that special at all, if you don't count Kenny the Thug and Cheeky Chi-ri. It's all about the gun stats, and for me, what Jap tanks I drive this week is solely dependent on gun preference. I actually started the whole King if Tier VII business so I could drive my fantastic Autoloader against some real players! ;)

View PostHughDomfok, on 12 August 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

aside from the -15 depression, isn't it just a bigger & slower ke-ho?

Yes.

And No, because it has more hitpoints and slightly thicker armour and a different, slightly larger profile, and the gun is a lot better.

You will note I wrote above that nearly all the Jap tanks are pretty much alike, only more of the same, which is one of the reasons I think the Jap tech tree is the best in the game.

These tanks are all about manoeuvrability and gun stats. Most of them have superior camo values. If you grasp the playstyle, and I can tell you that takes a lot more than two games, you will become a Super Unicum Gold Noob Gun Stat WhXre like the rest of us, and just like playing TDs will make you better at playing Mediums, playing Japanese Mediums will make you better at playing pretty much any other tank in the game that moves faster than 30 Kph.

My friend Titus will now tell you why the Chi-He is a lot better than the Ke-Ho, and what layout you should use for maximum efficiency :)

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

lancejack202 #23 Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:03 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4796 battles
  • [OLDER]
Titus....?

Hello......?

CookieOverlord #24 Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 11485 battles
  • [UKRJT]
Clearly, Titus disagrees with this statement 

grawxx #25 Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 21224 battles
  • [GANS]
Excellent tank, one of the best at its tier. Remember to load prammo for dw and tier Vs.

sk8xtrm #26 Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 44197 battles
  • [REQ]
I had one game in this tank and sold it, not because I did not like it but because my first game out was an amazing game so wanted my stats to show 1 game in it with crazy high figures haha

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....sk8xtrm

N00basaurus #27 Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:10 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5111 battles
  • [ALBAB]

Bought one as an equipment mule in anticipation of 3.8. Got missions for it almost immediately; thanks Wargaming :angry:

Won 4 of the 5 battles I ran with the stock gun (had the Kuurei from the Chi-Ha and freeXP-d the suspension). Won the two battles I fought with the 57 (so far).

Feels like it's better than the sum of its parts, in contrast with something like the M3 Lee (though, in all fairness, that's not actually a medium tank).

However I must say that I almost always finish my battles pretty badly mangled. The armour really is weak. Last battle I ended up paying 1800 for the repairs plus a repair kit and a multipack (over 4000 in cumulative repairs).

Edited by N00basaurus, 11 April 2017 - 09:38 AM.

Female crew voicepacks please!

Reclassify the AMX CDC as a Tank Destroyer!

IrmaBecx #28 Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23684 battles
  • [IRMA]

Yeah, that's the tradeoff. You sometimes need to use hitpoints instead of the armour that you don't have.

Credit coeficient on the Chi-he is 130% or so, which is pretty good but not tier leading. The Death Wagen 2 for example has 140%, so you'd expect it to be slightly better, but that's not the case. In actuality, the D.W. 2 has better armor, so you're not going to take as much damage, meaning cheaper repairs. Also the D.W. 2 gun is a lot easier to work with; higher alpha means less rounds on target for the same amount of damage.

Still, learning to play a lightly armoured tank is great, because it teaches you a lot of good habits, like using cover and camoflage and not getting hit. These skills will improve your performance in all other types of vehicles. Same thing with the choice of weapons: the above may sound like the 75 mm would be the better choice for the Chi-he, but I maintain the 57 mm Experimental is the right choice. Learning to use a high DPM, low alpha weapon will also make you an overall better tank driver, and as I said it's more representative of what you can expect from the rest of the line.

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

N00basaurus #29 Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:22 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5111 battles
  • [ALBAB]
I did notice that, while armour is on the bad side, the tank is surprisingly robust hitpoint-wise. One game I took a direct hit from a toaster and a full clip from a Luchs and was still able to finish the battle.

N00basaurus #30 Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:32 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5111 battles
  • [ALBAB]

Played a smidgen more: 18 battles, 88% win rate, 77% survival, avg damage thus far 677 (1.3 kills per battle). Solid tank. Been following IrmaBecx's advice regarding snap shots: my hit rate is bad (76%), however (to paraphrase Irma), you might miss poorly aimed shots, but if shells don't leave the barrel, you definitely won't hit anything.

Unfortunately, my long string of battles where people give their all trying to pummel my tank into scrap has continued. In my latest battle, where I came second to the team's T-34, I ended up having to peek-a-boom with a BDR and a KV-1 while a PZ IV D (L/43) was loitering around the flanks. Unsurprisingly, I finished the fight with about 20 hitpoints remaining.

Edited by N00basaurus, 18 May 2017 - 11:16 AM.

reekoiler #31 Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34994 battles
  • [FTC-1]

Nice review in the OP.   I got switched onto the Chi-he when I saw one safely hiding behind a ridge doing nothing, like a coward.   Except it wasn't.   It was using the awesome gun depression to max. effect.   Now I am totally into it and have gone off most tanks with poor depression, including my erstwhile favourite, the Pz. 38(t)NA which has suffered from being stripped of its binos.

The covenanter is another great tank at T4 for similar reasons.

Birdistheword15 #32 Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 38027 battles
  • [BRIT6]
The Chi He is my second go-to med at tier iv after the pz iv d.

Edited by Birdistheword15, 16 May 2017 - 02:01 PM.

reekoiler #33 Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34994 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 16 May 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

The Chi He is my second go-to med at tier iv after the pz iv d.

trying not to stray too far off topic, can you say why you like the idea ivD so much?   How does it compare?

IrmaBecx #34 Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23684 battles
  • [IRMA]

View Postreekoiler, on 17 May 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

trying not to stray too far off topic, can you say why you like the idea ivD so much?   How does it compare?

The Pz IV D is a proper, grown up tank even though it's a tier IV, and it used to make really good credits as well. It has a good balance between mobility, armor and firepower, and is perhaps the best tank in the game for learning how to drive a Medium. A lot of "Pro" players cut their teeth on the old Pz IV D, and I did too. You might say it's good practice for tanks like the Chi-He.

Comparing the two, the Pz has a high alpha, low reload weapon that is easier to work with, and has a very useful HE shell, meaning it's also good for learning to switch ammo types. It also has a bit of typical German flat sided armor, and you can get a bounce once in a while, although it's actually thinner than the Chi-He armor. The Chi-He shoots almost twice as fast, has a bit more DPM, is more accurate, and ihas a higher top speed both forward and backward, although it has less specific power: around 15 hp/t compared to 20. Chi-He is also a smaller target, and of course it has that great gun depression.

The demise of the PZ IV Deathbringer was they nerfed the credit coefficient to just 79%. I used to keep my higher tier tanks running by grinding credits with the IV D, as did a lot of people; it really used to rake in the cash, and the best part was you'd be grinding credits while practicing your Medium skills. The Chi-He has a much more healthy 130%, and should if nothing else easily pay for itself even if you run an expensive setup.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users