A guide to Light Tanks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

MeetThyDoom #1 Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:51 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17715 battles
  • [IRMA]

Greetings and huzzah! Welcome to another guide by yours truly. I hope to tell you about light tanks.

First things first ...

Err … What is a light tank?

A light tank is a fighting vehicle which is designed for rapid movement and more often than not employed in the reconnaissance role and/or exploiting enemy forces in a way a heavy tank could not.

When identifying a Light Tank you will notice a few things. A Light tank has a diamond symbol whereas a Heavy tank, for example, has a diamond with two lines running through it. A heavy tank has lots of armour which slows it down whereas a light tank has virtually no armour making it faster and more agile. There are many similarities between these two tanks but the Light Tank has better manoeuvrability than the heavy tank and is less likely to be seen thanks to it's low silhouette.

Heavy Tank (Example)                                                    Light Tank (Example)

Your Job as a Light tank is to spot the enemy vehicles for your team. Doing this will bring both an advantage for your team and more credits for you. You get a small bonus for every tank you spot and you get 50% of what the team member doing the damage would earn if he spotted the target himself, divided by the number of team members spotting the target. Thus resulting in a more profitable battle for you even if you win or lose.

How do I play a light tank?

When a battle starts, go ahead of the heavy tanks on your team. Find a bush and camp there occasionally popping in and out to spot enemy tanks. Or if you prefer a more exciting and risky life just keep driving until you spot enemy tanks and then get the heck out of that position, e.g. go back the way you came but so that enemy tanks can't get any shots on you.

Now that the enemy is spotted and their attention is focused on your team you should flank them and put shots into them from behind. You can do this from a far distance or you can go close n risky and give em some surprise butt s*x.

Once all that is over and done with you should focus on helping your team take out the last remaining enemies by scouting the map and if you are unsuccessful in spotting you should try again but if there's under 3 minutes of the match left you should capture the base.

Can you suggest a load out?

Here's an ideal load out for a light tank.

Equipment:

Coated Optics - +10% to your view range, up to a range of 500m.

Binocular Telescope - +25% chance to spot a stationary tank up to a range of 500m.

Improved Ventilation Class 1 – +5% to all crew skills.

Consumables:

Multi-Purpose Restoration Pack – Extinguishes fires, repairs all damaged modules and heals all injured crew members.

Use this only when the small repair kit or first aid kit is on cool down. Doing his will save you credits as the Multi-Purpose Repair Kit costs more.

First Aid Kit – Heals all injured crew members. Cool down time: 90s

Use this before the multi-purpose restoration pack.

Repair Kit - Repairs all damaged modules. Cool down time: 90s

Use this before the multi-purpose restoration pack.

Camouflage:

Use any camouflage you want! Every pattern gives a +3% bonus to a Light Tank's concealment whether you're on the move or stationary.

Ok, gottcha. Can you suggest a good light tank?

Personally, I just love the zII_Luchs">Pz.II Luchs. It has excellent manoeuvrability and a low silhouette making it deadly in right hands. I also hear the S P I C and the Ru 251 are good too but I haven't got round to unlocking them yet.

Cool, anything else?

Yes, yes there is. Here's a video of some light tank gameplay. Do have a watch and see if you can relate this guide to anything you see then try it yourself! :D

Check out some of my guides, I'm sure they'll be of use to you.

Guide to the KV-2  Guide to Tank Destroyers  Guide to Armour  Guide to Light Tanks  Guide to not being seen,

Titus_Scato #2 Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42260 battles
  • [RTR]

Great guide!  A little addition:

Light Tanks that are actually small Heavies:

These tanks are too slow to drive like the other light tanks.  But they have good armour, so drive them like heavies.  Angle 20-30 degrees and sidescrape off obstacles to bounce enemy shots.  Be aggressive in the front line when you're top tier, but let the bigger tanks go first when you're bottom tier, and support them from behind.  Apart from the Tier I's, these tanks have low penetration guns, so make sure at least 25% of your ammunition is premium APCR.

Tier I:

MS-1, Renault Otsu

Tier II:

Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f)

Tier III:

T-127, Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. J

Tier IV:

Valentine II

Edited by Titus_Scato, 26 April 2016 - 02:06 PM.

MeetThyDoom #3 Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17715 battles
  • [IRMA]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 26 April 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

Great guide!  A little addition:

Light Tanks that are actually small Heavies:

These tanks are too slow to drive like the other light tanks.  But they have good armour, so drive them like heavies.  Angle 20-30 degrees and sidescrape off obstacles to bounce enemy shots.  Be aggressive in the front line when you're top tier, but let the bigger tanks go first when you're bottom tier, and support them from behind.  Apart from the Tier I's, these tanks have low penetration guns, so make sure at least 25% of your ammunition is premium APCR.

Tier I:

MS-1, Renault Otsu

Tier II:

Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f)

Tier III:

T-127, Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. J

Tier IV:

Valentine II

Wow, Thanks! that's something I definitely hadn't thought of. Mind if I copy and paste it into my guide?

Check out some of my guides, I'm sure they'll be of use to you.

Guide to the KV-2  Guide to Tank Destroyers  Guide to Armour  Guide to Light Tanks  Guide to not being seen,

Titus_Scato #4 Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42260 battles
  • [RTR]

View PostMeetThyDoom, on 26 April 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

Wow, Thanks! that's something I definitely hadn't thought of. Mind if I copy and paste it into my guide?

Sure, go ahead! 

gamesurfer98 #5 Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19962 battles
  • [B49]

View PostMeetThyDoom, on 26 April 2016 - 12:51 PM, said

Binocular Telescope - +25% chance to spot a stationary tank up to a range of 500m.

I thought binoculars only work if you are stationary, not the enemy tanks... Small mistake or did I get this wrong? :amazed:

Great guide though!

Edited by gamesurfer98, 09 June 2016 - 01:43 PM.

Just_merpug #6 Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 58389 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postgamesurfer98, on 09 June 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

I thought binoculars only work if you are stationary, not the enemy tanks... Small mistake or did I get this wrong? :amazed:

Great guide though!

Stationary tanks have a higher camo rating than moving ones, binocs overcome part of this effect

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

iRok_official #7 Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4727 battles

I used coated optics, binucolat telescope, camo+ I was hiding in a bush with a 100% crew Luchs, wasnt moving or shooting, and the enemy spotted me faster than I them... It was on Dead Rail, but I dont remember the leading tier in battle:amazed:. How is this possible lol?

P.s. maybe it was 75% crew, dont remember exactly

The noobiest WoTB YouTuber

https://www.youtube....r/iRokOFFICIAL1

martindogger #8 Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34231 battles
  • [EMRS]

View PostiRok_official, on 09 June 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

I used coated optics, binucolat telescope, camo+ I was hiding in a bush with a 100% crew Luchs, wasnt moving or shooting, and the enemy spotted me faster than I them... It was on Dead Rail, but I dont remember the leading tier in battle:amazed:. How is this possible lol?

P.s. maybe it was 75% crew, dont remember exactly

It could that you were proximity spotted.

Or you were spotted by a tier V tank with some setup but a players who has higher crew skills. 

Load Aim Fire! ... my YouTube channel - 5400+ subscribers and counting 

World of Tanks Blitz | World of Tanks Console | generic noobness guaranteed

Check our FB page at www.facebook.com/loadaimfire

_SilverSpirit_ #9 Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 38998 battles

View PostMeetThyDoom, on 26 April 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

That is incorrect.

Quote from Wiki: Binocular Telescope +25% to view range for a tank that is stationary for 3 seconds, not including gun or turret movements. Any movement of the tank's hull will reset the telescope, requiring another 3 second wait. Note: Limited to 500 Meters.

Edited by boooom178, 14 June 2016 - 08:40 PM.

oilrich #10 Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:02 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19726 battles
I just started playing the less popular German tier IV light tank, the Pz 38 Na and after 49 battles I have a unicum score (I am not a unicum player!) by doing exactly as the OP suggests (although I had not yet read the OP when developing my strategy).   I went for camo net, optics and binoculars in my set up.   In one game I missed getting 6 kills and a Kolabanov by a few HPs.   It is very effective to spot from vegetation, but don't fire unless you plan to run.   The camo net is especially useful for sniping games.   Take a high spot on Dead Rail and shoot across the battlefield while remaining invisible.   Great fun when it pays off.

The_Mighty_Wombat #11 Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:23 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39772 battles
  • [-GNA-]

On higher tier lights it better to run

Rammer, optics ........ then bino or vents, depending on play style. Bino only activates after you stop for 3+sec

Improved fuel, large rations ........ then empty/any.

Multi repair, small repair ........ then (play style dependant/own choice)

camo

Light tanks hold their camo value on the move, were as others lose some once they move. Combine this with their light armour they are safer as a mobile scout. The 6th sense goes off after 3secs of being spotted, this can be too late if your camped in a bush, a mobile target is harder to hit. Also don't be too quick to fire your first shot as you lose almost all camo and will most likely get spotted yourself.

Speed is the biggest asset to a higher tier light tank, scout, spot, shoot till unsafe then reset camo or change locations/flank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users