EU referendum for UK, media coverage and perspective from other EU nations please

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

tridentas #221 Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 13753 battles
  • [VG]

View PostEDURACE, on 29 June 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

Brexit won't free Vodafon, for example, from increasing EU restrictions/regulation in EU countries ;) 

you might as well have just posted up a meme of a cow mooing hadnt you?  And NO, thats not an invitation

In peacetime, sons bury their fathers, in War, fathers bury their sons

tridentas #222 Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 13753 battles
  • [VG]

View PostEDURACE, on 29 June 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

well, I think that all the restrictions/regulation for UK's companies (or lets say big businesses) in EU countries will remain, it's just UK won't be able to protect their big businesses in EU countries or influence any regulation rules, etc. It can be anything.. betting, education, mobile services, etc..

It's not easy to exist near EU and not be a part of it. I've seen many Swiss people shopping in France and Germany, in supermarkets that were built on the borders, thats not because Swiss people like driving. 

I understand now, apologies for my waspish response! 

There is certainly going to be fall out, the mep's are certainly baying for blood, whether business prove more pragmatic or not will remain to be seen. Hence the market uncertainty. 

Mockney_piers #223 Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8545 battles
Oh no. No more booze cruises :(

tridentas #224 Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 13753 battles
  • [VG]

View PostMockney_piers, on 29 June 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

Oh no. No more booze cruises :(

Why? Are they sinking the ferries?

Mockney_piers #225 Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8545 battles

I like you Tridentas, and I genuinely hope noone has accused you of ignorance or bigotry, I know you're not.

You're well educated, thoughtful and inclusive, you're a nice guy.

I do think your position is based upon well meaning optimism and gut instinct but that's no bad thing, someone has to counterbalance my nihilistic cynicism :D

But the facts are there, and are rather self-revealing in the Leave campaigns' response to winning by backtracking on their promises.

They were based upon half truths, myths, outright lies.

They lost the debate when they said noone should listen to experts, yet won the referendum.

And a swathe took the deception and misinformation at face value despite objective facts being available.

It's humjan nature, confirmation bias. You come to a conclusion then stick with the evidence that fits the hypothesis. We're all prone to it, and only critical thinking and intellectual honesty help to avoid it.

I don't think many people were doing that on either side to be fair, but given that almost all claims by the Leave campaign were easily undermined, voting on those false claims counts as ignorance.

Exit polls showed the money promised to the NHS was the top reason for voting leave, despite it being pooh poohed many times, despite it being made by people who were already dismantling the NHS.

It also played on fears of immigration (the number two reason for voting leave, no pun intended), and this has unquestionably given rise to increased racist abuse.

Of course they're a minority (ironnnyyy) and were racist and ignorant before, but society deemed that behaviour unacceptable. Now many think its their right by, in their eyes, having voted to rid the country of foreigners.

An Irish friend in London was politely asked yesterday, by another mum at the school gates, when she was moving back to Ireland now that she has to leave.

The wife of my Polish colleague had a much brusquer and more venomous version of the same conversation in Leigh-on-Sea this week.

It's done and I hope to god that the optimism is well placed.

I'm thoroughly agasint another referendum, our society is going to take a while to heal from this one, a new one that overturns it will result in a rift that will take generations to heal.

On that note I hope we can all be friends too and move forward together.

Just on a pedantic aside, re fascism.

Fascism at it's core definition (its one of the most abused words in the english language) is about national rebirth through destruction, and constant national spiritual renewal through struggle.

Breaking the country in the hope that it comes back better is a fundamentally fascist concept.

For the record it's interesting to know that Gove's great heroes are Lenin and Mao. Mao was the ultimate fascist in the true sense of the word, China could never really progress until he died, because he kept breaking it on purpose.

I hope to god that Gove doesn't win the leadership all we're all screwed!!!

Edited by Mockney_piers, 30 June 2016 - 08:22 AM.

Mockney_piers #226 Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8545 battles

View Posttridentas, on 29 June 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

Why? Are they sinking the ferries?

no, but we'll only be allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine, 48 bottles of beer and 1 spirit back without paying duty. Won't really be worth it.

Arrivals from outside the EU

• beer - 16 litres
  • wine (not sparkling) - 4 litres

You can also bring in either:

• spirits and other liquors over 22% alcohol - 1 litre
  • fortified wine (eg port, sherry), sparkling wine and alcoholic drinks up to 22% alcohol - 2 litres

Arrivals from EU countries

"You don’t pay duty or tax on goods you bring in from the European Union (EU) as long as you:

• transport them yourself
  • will use them yourself or give them away as a gift
  • have paid duty and tax in the country where you bought them"

Edited by Mockney_piers, 30 June 2016 - 08:24 AM.

Blast_LGN #227 Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:57 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 26660 battles
  • [LGN]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 29 June 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

The former was down to weather rather than anything else.

The actual reason is probably more to do with the arrogant isolationism of the English abroad

Well, in Trafalgar the British established total naval dominance over their previous superiors - the French and Spanish - and being able to defeat single handedly the other two superpowers was something of an achievement. Pwnage.

As for isolationism, when Britain found that Napoleon was increasingly driving Britiain's influence out of Europe and harming the British nation, the Battle of Waterloo solved the problem. The Brits managed to capture Napoleon and lock him up in a British colony in the middle of the Atlantic... 

As for arrogance, I'd like to there is 'banter' on both sides. However with this EU situation, the French government are always trying to rush the British out of the Union and do their best to hurt the British economy, unlike the Germans who are being very diplomatic about it. They aren't trying to push us out as quickly as possible, and have stated that it would be silly to impose tariffs as a punishment for leaving. The government needs to first find a new prime minister, which they understand, before any big national decisions are taken.

U wot m8?

Mockney_piers #228 Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8545 battles

Oooooohhhhhh shhhhhiiiiitttt!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.theguard...-downing-street

Gove announces leadership bid "positioning himself explicitly as the 'change' candidate calling for 'a bold break with the past'"

I warned you, he be a breaker of things.

Luckily we've left the autocratic EU, so make sure you don't vote for Gove in our marvellous democracy.
Oh...wait...noone gets to vote huh.....ironic......

Edited by Mockney_piers, 30 June 2016 - 03:28 PM.

Chairman_merpug #229 Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 45975 battles
  • [AFK]

Have Private Eye's "Michael Gove on the naughty chair" meme. Y'all deserve it.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

tridentas #230 Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 13753 battles
  • [VG]

Back on thread, fox news report sums up my feelings on it

https://www.facebook...57075566520402/

michael gove, pah, the austin powers of politics, absolute goon

boris, bottled it! Clown

looks like we are getting Mrs T 2, May even resembles her! 

Mockney_piers #231 Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8545 battles

If you change addiction to crack for addiction to antibiotics, then the analogy works ;)

and a final word. TL;DW? it is what it is, and that's a constitutional crisis, and the lies have caused untold damage to the quality of our democracy.

Edited by Mockney_piers, 01 July 2016 - 12:15 PM.

Titus_Scato #232 Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42078 battles
  • [1RTR]

Very interesting video.

He's right to say that whatever happens, half of the country will feel disenfranchised by the outcome of leaving the EU.  That makes me wonder - maybe it's better for the political establishment to disenfranchise everyone equally?

What if the next Tory leader decided to regard the referendum as advisory, and not binding (which is legally true) and asked Parliament to vote on whether or not to implement Article 50 and leave the EU?  And if Parliament then voted against leaving the EU, then that would mean the referendum result would be ignored, and Brexit would be reversed. 

One way the new PM could make this work politically is by announcing in advance that a constitutional crisis would happen in the event of Parliament voting not to implement Article 50, and in that event, the entire Government would resign, and there would have to be an immediate general election.

After that, all the political parties would have to set out their policy on leaving or remaining in the EU, people would decide which party to vote for, and the issue would be decided in the general election.  Obviously if both the Tories and Labour had a Remain policy, that would give a massive boost to UKIP, and might even lead to UKIP winning an outright majority and becoming the next government.

Deciding the issue via general election would bring the EU issue out of the referendum arena back into mainstream politics, and restore the link between the people and the political parties.

Edited by Titus_Scato, 01 July 2016 - 01:52 PM.

Eulengesicht_2014 #233 Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 114699 battles
  • [WPS]
Are the British actually aware that after a Brexit also the coaching career of Jürgen Klopp in the UK is finished? He will then probably return to Germany and train Hannover 96 ...

:trollface:

Edited by Eulengesicht_2014, 08 May 2019 - 10:09 AM.

"Einfachheit ist die höchste Form von Raffinesse" - Steve Jobs

Eulengesicht_2014 #234 Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 114699 battles
  • [WPS]
Are the British actually aware that they get 95% of their toilet paper from Germany? - After leaving the EU they literally sit in the crap...:trollface:

"Einfachheit ist die höchste Form von Raffinesse" - Steve Jobs

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users