• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

hacklint #1 Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9709 battles
  • [1RTR_]

Hi forum!

Just to be very clear from the start - I do not pretend to know how to achieve minimap mastery - far from it. I do hope though that this thread may collect some hard won knowledge on the subject for the benefit of others trying to improve. But let's get started:

The key to improving situational awareness is widely considered to be "use the minimap". That is surely good advice but I have to admit that after 4500 games I seem to need a bit more structure to my attempts than the "just do it" approach. I'm just starting to try to be very structured in my approach and these are the rough steps I see ahead. 

First group deal with getting out of tunnel vision and actually looking at the map:

• 1a Look at the map when the lightbulb goes off (AFTER you get in cover!)
  • 1b Look at the map when you hear the ping of an enemy being spotted
  • 1c Look at the map every N seconds without any external trigger event

Second group deals with keeping your orientation between the times you look

• 2a Remember your own position ("I'm in the top right corner") so you quickly look at the right part of the map next time.
  • 2b Remember both position and direction ("I'm at the top right corner, driving down along the right hand edge")
  • 2c Learn the orientation of the maps onto the minimap ("On Castilla the Mill Hill is on the right of the minimap")

Third group deals with the greens

• 3a Remember the position of the X nearest greens ("I have a light to my left and two mediums following me") Raise X as you go ;-)
  • 3b Keep more details about which green is where ("The Luchs went Mill Hill to spot, the Leopard is behind me going up to the Central hill")
  • 3c Keep track of green team health 

Fourth group deals with the reds

• 4a Keep track of how many alive reds that are NOT spotted
  • 4b Keep track of the type ofunspotted reds ("5 reds left, 2 meds and 2 heavies spotted. There is a TD left somewhere..."
  • 4c Remember the approximate location of the closest reds even when they go unspotted
  • 4d Keep track of which way the closest reds are/were moving
  • 4e When the majority of reds have been spotted you should have a fairly good idea where the rest are going

I'm hoping to learn to apply these steps in my game one or a few at a time - probably some a's first, and when those are really established add one or two b's and so on. 
Now you players who DO have a good grip on using the minimap - does this make some sense to you? I'm particularly interested in the opinion of players who now feel confident in using the minimap but who struggled a bit getting it to work. Do you remember how you learned to master the minimap? Are there significant steps missing in the list? If there is a better way (I'm sure there is...!) please let us know!

The_Mighty_Wombat #2 Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37049 battles
  • [-GNA-]

Practice in the training rooms. Learn the maps really well and take time to explore.

Also use the "look bar" to look around without spinning the turret.

I say I use the "look bar" more then minimap to see directions people are. 

When on reload I zoom out of sniper mode, do a quick "look bar" sweep then zoom back in for next shot.

The minimap just stay more in the corner of my sight with colours showing the general area they are, I try to be in strategic locations to deal with where they will most likely go. It gives me more of a rough distance away.

When game is a mid point I start looking more specifically at minimap to see their exact locations and where I need to be.

Map knowledge helps when you get hit by unseen targets, such as from the middle hill on Castilla.

without looking at anything you know where they are, so with this you can use cover or even blind fire at where they could be.

i guess I mainly do, 1c, 2b, 3a/b, 4b/e. 

I doesn't really matter if it's closest or not, just get general feel of locations. Seeing a dot in a corner and team has a TD you normally assume what's there. When I do the look bar sweep and see it's a green team luchs hiding, I know not to rely on that player.

minitelrose #3 Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:15 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 70214 battles
  • [AFK]

At some point I disciplined myself into checking the minimap every five seconds. Ten seconds is a long time in blitz.

Every single time, I counted every green and red on the map, game after game.

After some 100 games getting used to it, things became clear :

1. where are the greens going
  2. where are the reds going and what are their intentions 
  3. which reds are missing, and where they most probably are located

this came down to :

1. where do I have cover from greens allies and where I will be alone.
  2. where am I in unknown territories and how much menace is still there lurking

In other words, seeing where the battle is needing me right now, and assessing how much risk and how much of my objectives I can get when I decide to move.

In the beginning it slowed me down a bit on the battlefield (not always a bad thing, being a natural born rusher) but  after a time of adaptation, it became second nature to me. I started dying much less and doing much more damage. This made my teams win more, etc...

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

Florian_Guyer #4 Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:18 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 51725 battles
  • [3LR]
Oh how I long to play with teams that read and use the minimap!

Edited by Florian_Guyer, 29 August 2016 - 01:19 AM.

The Reality of Fighting in AFVs.  

'The 75mm gun is firing, the 37mm gun is firing but it is traversed round the wrong way.The Browning is jammed, I am saying 'Driver Advance' on the A set and the driver, who cant hear me is reversing, and as I look over the top of the turret and see twelve enemy tanks fifty yards away, someone hands me a cheese sandwich'. 

British Tank Commander, Western Desert 1942

Chairman_merpug #5 Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 44648 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostFlorian_Guyer, on 29 August 2016 - 01:18 AM, said:

Oh how I long to play with teams that read and use the minimap!

I am increasingly convinced that a large number of players turn it off. Though how they manage to do this, when they can't find the control buttons on the UI, is beyond me.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

karlhulme #6 Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17529 battles
  • [1RTR_]

View Posthacklint, on 24 August 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

Hi forum!

Just to be very clear from the start - I do not pretend to know how to achieve minimap mastery - far from it. I do hope though that this thread may collect some hard won knowledge on the subject for the benefit of others trying to improve. But let's get started:

The key to improving situational awareness is widely considered to be "use the minimap". That is surely good advice but I have to admit that after 4500 games I seem to need a bit more structure to my attempts than the "just do it" approach. I'm just starting to try to be very structured in my approach and these are the rough steps I see ahead. 

First group deal with getting out of tunnel vision and actually looking at the map:

• 1a Look at the map when the lightbulb goes off (AFTER you get in cover!)
  • 1b Look at the map when you hear the ping of an enemy being spotted
  • 1c Look at the map every N seconds without any external trigger event

Second group deals with keeping your orientation between the times you look

• 2a Remember your own position ("I'm in the top right corner") so you quickly look at the right part of the map next time.
  • 2b Remember both position and direction ("I'm at the top right corner, driving down along the right hand edge")
  • 2c Learn the orientation of the maps onto the minimap ("On Castilla the Mill Hill is on the right of the minimap")

Third group deals with the greens

• 3a Remember the position of the X nearest greens ("I have a light to my left and two mediums following me") Raise X as you go ;-)
  • 3b Keep more details about which green is where ("The Luchs went Mill Hill to spot, the Leopard is behind me going up to the Central hill")
  • 3c Keep track of green team health 

Fourth group deals with the reds

• 4a Keep track of how many alive reds that are NOT spotted
  • 4b Keep track of the type ofunspotted reds ("5 reds left, 2 meds and 2 heavies spotted. There is a TD left somewhere..."
  • 4c Remember the approximate location of the closest reds even when they go unspotted
  • 4d Keep track of which way the closest reds are/were moving
  • 4e When the majority of reds have been spotted you should have a fairly good idea where the rest are going

I'm hoping to learn to apply these steps in my game one or a few at a time - probably some a's first, and when those are really established add one or two b's and so on. 
Now you players who DO have a good grip on using the minimap - does this make some sense to you? I'm particularly interested in the opinion of players who now feel confident in using the minimap but who struggled a bit getting it to work. Do you remember how you learned to master the minimap? Are there significant steps missing in the list? If there is a better way (I'm sure there is...!) please let us know!

A comprehensive guide to all things minimap. All the above ideas I mentally checked in relation to my own play. Each seems to fall into one of these categories.

1.     yes I do that

2      oh yes I do that and hadn't realised 

3.    i really should do that more

4.   i don't do that but I'd better start trying!

i must say when I started the minimap was probably the most neglected part of my play ( it would have been the lightbulb if it hadn't been so annoying and prompted me to find out what it was for! )

Boogie0NE #7 Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 18515 battles
  • [_VLNT]

Wait... There is a minimap? 

Where do I get one?

_VLNT Valiant Academy is open for recruitment.  If you want to join just contact me on either    - Discord: Boogie0ne(VLNT)#0482 ingame: Boogie0ne

RollingSwarm #8 Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 40760 battles
  • [SW4RM]

Minimap mastery = biggest single boost to your performance you can implement in under a day.

Don't forget to tap it every once in a while to see who has/ hasn't been destroyed thus far too :)... remember to tap it back...

Somewhere between Rage & Serenity'

SoloPotato #9 Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10701 battles
  • [ALBAC]

Hi!

Does anyone know of a good short periodic timer app for iOS, i.e. something you can set to say 3 seconds and which will then give a little "beep" every 3 seconds thereby prompting a look at the map even in the heat of battle - without otherwise interfering with the Blitz app? Im playing on an iPad mini so a minimal "resource footprint" would be nice.

Bada__Bing #10 Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8791 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostSoloPotato, on 14 August 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

Hi!

Does anyone know of a good short periodic timer app for iOS, i.e. something you can set to say 3 seconds and which will then give a little "beep" every 3 seconds thereby prompting a look at the map even in the heat of battle - without otherwise interfering with the Blitz app? Im playing on an iPad mini so a minimal "resource footprint" would be nice.

Good idea, I reckon after a week or 2 of constant beeps it would become automatic to check, hopefully it can be turned off again!

The_Art_0f_Dying #11 Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 37494 battles
  • [PINK]

to have minimap you need to unlock it first. spend 500 gold for tier 1 up 6000 gold for tier x. wait times are between 1 hours and 3 months.

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Statistics don't mean anything. Don't get caught in the trap that you are only as good as your WR. Statistics can be stat padded. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users