Sniping v Camping

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Florian_Guyer #1 Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:52 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 51732 battles
  • [3LR]

there are undoubtedly a plethora of opinions on both activities however, they can become very intertwined, causing anger and derision from the remainder of the team.

My own interpretation is that to be sniping, you must be actively contributing to the enemy depletion count, ergo, regularly (every 20/30 seconds) hitting a enemy.

If your "sniping", entails sitting looking at a red diamond or triangle on the other side of a building/hill/obstruction and hoping the enemy will appear, then you are camping and need to move.....discuss;

The Reality of Fighting in AFVs.  

'The 75mm gun is firing, the 37mm gun is firing but it is traversed round the wrong way.The Browning is jammed, I am saying 'Driver Advance' on the A set and the driver, who cant hear me is reversing, and as I look over the top of the turret and see twelve enemy tanks fifty yards away, someone hands me a cheese sandwich'. 

British Tank Commander, Western Desert 1942

_Biggles_ #2 Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 11253 battles

Sniping: fighting at a distance in a tank meant for fighting at distance 

Camping: fighting at distance in a tank meant for fighting at close range

Empros Clan 

"Win with Pride, Die with Honour!"

Proud Friend Of IRMA

superturbospecial #3 Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles
No difference between the two as you can snipe while camping and you can camp while sniping....
Bläääää.....

hoihaguy #4 Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:25 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13464 battles
  • [VG]

View Postsuperturbospecial, on 05 September 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

No difference between the two as you can snipe while camping and you can camp while sniping....

No. if you camp, you can't snipe. Sniping means contributing to your team's damage the entire match. If camping, you will eventually run out of targets. When sniping, you should have relocated so you can shoot again.

there's only one balance WG cares about

its their bank account balance

The_Mighty_Wombat #5 Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39772 battles
  • [-GNA-]

Biggles has it right in easiest terms.

When sniping you are actively moving and searching for targets at distance. Best performed by tanks that have accurate guns over distance. Low caliber auto loaders, some derp guns and inaccurate guns are not recommended to do this unless it's towards the end of the game and they are low on options. You are trying to put the gun to effective use as much as possible.

When camping you pick a spot (most likely a good spot on one game you had) and expect the enermy to come to you. Camping can be done in any tank and is usually very close to the spawn point. You are not actively seeking targets and totally ignore the team when they need help on another part of the map. Camping you may get some large damage as the Reds happen to go into your sights, but for the most part, you not effectively helping the team where they need it the most. 

superturbospecial #6 Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:22 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles

View Posthoihaguy, on 05 September 2016 - 08:25 PM, said:

No. if you camp, you can't snipe. Sniping means contributing to your team's damage the entire match. If camping, you will eventually run out of targets. When sniping, you should have relocated so you can shoot again.

But my tents are foldable, i just put it up somewhere else on the map and camp there instead. :p

Bläääää.....

scaramax #7 Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:35 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 27739 battles
  • [AFK]

but it takes a long time for the campfire to get lit, so by the time you're all warm and cosy and ready to fight, your noob teammates have all yolood

and you'll have to start a thread wining about unfair MM

tridentas #8 Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 15303 battles
  • [VG]

If you are a new player, and you are reading this forum for advice.... Dont 

dont camp

dont snipe

get in a tank that moves, learn how to move and shoot, not sit and wait. Dont cap, thats crap too. You have a gun, use it

if you do any of the above other than being active expect in game criticism and abuse. It will happen. Why, cos sniping effectively is a far harder skill than just sitting waiting for targets to enter your field of fire. You need to understand the maps, you need a team mate who can spot for you, and when they dont, your entire team will call you a coward amongst others. 

In peacetime, sons bury their fathers, in War, fathers bury their sons

KAS_118 #9 Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 46949 battles
  • [VG]

Ah...this subject again ;)

Tridentas is right. Sniping can be very effective but you need skill to do it properly - so when you're new you end up camping - what isn't good.

Once you've mastered the art of moving and getting into good positions then you can platoon with someone and lean a Spotter/Sniper combination.

hoihaguy #10 Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13464 battles
  • [VG]

View PostKAS_118, on 07 September 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

Ah...this subject again ;)

Tridentas is right. Sniping can be very effective but you need skill to do it properly - so when you're new you end up camping - what isn't good.

Once you've mastered the art of moving and getting into good positions then you can platoon with someone and lean a Spotter/Sniper combination.

Works great with jge100/leopard on the campier maps like mines and deadrail

there's only one balance WG cares about

its their bank account balance

Florian_Guyer #11 Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:12 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 51732 battles
  • [3LR]
Interesting that nobody has pointed out that most of us "snipe" at some point in most games, i.e. shoot at the enemy from a concealed position, if you aren't, you are probably dying too quickly!

The Reality of Fighting in AFVs.  

'The 75mm gun is firing, the 37mm gun is firing but it is traversed round the wrong way.The Browning is jammed, I am saying 'Driver Advance' on the A set and the driver, who cant hear me is reversing, and as I look over the top of the turret and see twelve enemy tanks fifty yards away, someone hands me a cheese sandwich'. 

British Tank Commander, Western Desert 1942

niceclaws #12 Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19615 battles
  • [VG-II]

View PostFlorian_Guyer, on 05 September 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

My own interpretation is that to be sniping, you must be actively contributing to the enemy depletion count, ergo, regularly (every 20/30 seconds) hitting a enemy.

Nope. If your at distance and not getting shot at, hitting once every 20/30 seconds is nowhere near enough. If you're gunna snipe you need to be hitting and penning each and every time your reload is up. Anything less puts too much pressure on your spotters.

MadViking3333 #13 Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 35788 battles
  • [MAD-T]
If you buy "gold-ammo" then will be a sniper?

Fury_733 #14 Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:41 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 5462 battles

View Postviking3333, on 10 September 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

If you buy "gold-ammo" then will be a sniper?

Gold ammo doesn't increase the accuracy of your gun.

They only have better penetration number than the normal ammos

2014= 52% noobs

2015= 75% noobs

2016= 90% noobs

2017= :facepalm:

Donuts70 #15 Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:01 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7084 battles

Just to clarify guys, plenty of times i have hidden in a location, not been spotted and knocked out 2 or 3 tanks, then gone on to fight whatever remains, is this sniping or camping, and why do people despise this so much when ive regularly witnessed players that have clealy been playing the game a long time with a good record doing the same thing?.

At the end of the day, these are tanks, not Planes, the point of tank warfare never was Dogfighting, and in reality, a battle, campaign, war would be lost very quickly, Element of suprise is important, Rommel wasnt the genius he was through dogfighting.

The_Mighty_Wombat #16 Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39772 battles
  • [-GNA-]

View PostDonuts70, on 14 September 2016 - 02:01 AM, said:

Just to clarify guys, plenty of times i have hidden in a location, not been spotted and knocked out 2 or 3 tanks, then gone on to fight whatever remains, is this sniping or camping, and why do people despise this so much when ive regularly witnessed players that have clealy been playing the game a long time with a good record doing the same thing?.

If your putting down effective fire then move when the targets are no longer available, this is sniping.

And as long as your doing in a tank that doesn't have the ability to perform a better role then it will be the more correct use of your tank.

Campers usually move very little and do so in tanks that could be better as scouts or mid range support (poor accuracy low caliber guns)

rwpanther #17 Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:04 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29695 battles

Some clues:

If you team needs you somewhere else and you did not move a damn inch to see the enemy they are spotting for you --> you are camping.

If someone in your team has problem recognising if you are AFK or not behind the bush  --> you are definitely camping.

If you are the last one survived, swearing why there were no enemies in front of you --> you know what I wanna say.

Edited by rwpanther, 14 September 2016 - 05:07 AM.

Fury_733 #18 Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:24 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 5462 battles

Campers and snipers! They are all re- [edited]!

2014= 52% noobs

2015= 75% noobs

2016= 90% noobs

2017= :facepalm:

Donuts70 #19 Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7084 battles
Cheers for that chaps, The ones that reallllyyyyyy annoy me, are those that deliberatley find a place to hide, and stay there, , everyones dead apart from 2 enemy whom are now sat on base, they will wait till arount 80 is on the clock then make an effort to move towards base knowing fine well they wont get there, they survive despite the loss.

Knickerson #20 Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37669 battles
  • [ICN]

View PostDonuts70, on 14 September 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

Cheers for that chaps, The ones that reallllyyyyyy annoy me, are those that deliberatley find a place to hide, and stay there, , everyones dead apart from 2 enemy whom are now sat on base, they will wait till arount 80 is on the clock then make an effort to move towards base knowing fine well they wont get there, they survive despite the loss.

That's why whenever I come across a red tank "afk" at spawn, I take them out. They've already spotted me, and if ignored, they may try to salvage a loss. Best to make sure they don't survive.
Sound trumpets! Let our colours wave!
And either victory, or else a grave.

William Shakespeare
Henry VI Part 3 – Act 2, scene 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users