21 replies to this topic

Dr_D_Kadenz #1 Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15912 battles
  • [IRMA]

POPULAR

Dear Ruckus,

it was with a heavy heart that I watched you latest episode of Tall Talk last night. The subtitle "Ruckus Out" already gave an indication to what was about to happen. What's to come might sound a bit like a love letter, and it probably is one, but in a totally manly, grown-men-playing-tanks kind of way.

To get one thing out of the way: this is just a "bloody tank game", to quote the wife. It is not the be all and end all. It is a fun past-time we are enjoying when not working or doing anything in real life. But it is also what could be considered an e-sport and as with every sport, the community matters. You make friends, you make enemies. Some people are just tagging along and some are actively making their voice heard. They advocate the sport, educate and entertain. For this game these people are now known as Community Contributors. Without them, this game would be just another product of a company looking to make a buck. You are the gluons holding it all together.

For most of you, it is something you do besides real life and playing. Making a living out of it is hard work. And still many of you invest insane amounts of time to produce top-notch content that can take on any professionally produced promo reel. We, as players, don't pay for it. We are entertained and educated, for free. The least we can do is say thanks. And I feel that there is nowhere nearly enough of that going on. Now some of that might be down to laziness. For me it is that I don't like Youtube et al knowing what I like. They know what I watch and can extrapolate from that, but I don't want them to know. Because big data and reasons. So in a nutshell, I feel like I have failed you personally and the CCs in general. Because likes and appreciation is the only currency you're getting besides the occasional perk from WG. But this isn't about CCs in general, it is about you.

When I started playing this game, I was terrible. I drove German mediums and in retrospective I would like to apologize to each and every one of you who had to endure me. But while I was merrily going flank on Mines in my E75 (yes, that happened), someone suggested I should watch videos about WoTB on Youtube. And so I did. I came across a fellow from Perth. And he taught me everything. I learned about angling, side scraping, going hull down. Because this guy was not only an exceptionally good player. There are many of those. He was also a teacher. He put his thoughts into action and through his words he educated. I had my personal "Yoda and Luke" moment. 

But he was not only a scholar. He was also very sociable. He had his mates and there was much banter. The fellow from Sydney, the mad Russian. It wasn't like these guys from Oz and Asia were only playing a game together. You felt like you knew these guys. They sounded like mates playing a game and then going down to the pub to knock back a few cold ones. It was something to aspire to. Today I am a proud member of AFK, a group of chaps who are not only great players, but first and foremost great humans. I imagine that I will one day have a beer with more than one of them.

But he was not only a great player, scholar and socialite. He was ahead of the game. Supremacy was something WG only started to implement recently. It was a great way to bring the community together and I believe many initiatives today have their roots in this mode. But being ahead of the game most of all pertains to the quality of content he churned out. There is no other way of saying this: it was spectacular. The attention to detail, the heart and soul poured into the videos became most apparent in the cringeworthy trailer for the new fantasy tanks. What this guy did in his leisure time was just so much better than what professionals being paid good money were able to produce.

Many great artists are not recognized and valued the way it befits them while they are still active. While I have always held you in the highest esteem, I never took the opportunity to voice this clearly. Yes, I dedicated my first mastery in the Obj. 140 to you and Bushka, but I have never publicly sung songs of praise. Until now that you have left the stage. 

I recently repaired my stats far enough to be considered a Unicum according to WN8. As a treat I bought myself a TOG II*. In reference to my IGN, I christened her the "HMS Love Togtor" under the provision that she shall be renamed to a more fitting name in the future. Now I have found one.

From now on, she shall be named "HMS Ruckus". I imagine her and her fellow TOGs doing a missing man formation for you. Because you will be missed.

Take care, mate.

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!’” Rest In Peace, Edurace!

_ChrispyChris_ #2 Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 34878 battles
  • [LGN_]

Yeah!

True words, thank you Mr. Ruckus.

I was teached by Ruckus' videos as well, they have been eye-opener to me.

The video to the Cruiser IV changed everything to me:

"Gun-depression"?

"Cover"?

"Flanking"?

Understand! AAHHHHH!!!

Thank you Ruckus!

HariKariGaryNeedsaCarry #3 Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 20682 battles
  • [OLD]
+5 to OP, well said sir. 
harikarigaryneedsacarry_snowjag_eng.jpeg

jylpah #4 Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12228 battles
  • [AFK]

Well-put, OP. 

All the best to you, Ruckus!

"WG does not balance tanks, they design imbalance into the game instead."

Jylpah[AFK] @EU          Jylpah[SKX-T] @Asia            Tier V-X Tank Ranking         Jylpah is AFK

Schlarb #5 Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 28498 battles
  • [IRMA]
A very eloquent salute Dr.

chad_fantastic #6 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9961 battles
  • [AFK]

<sniff>

I'm something in my eye, a manly something like a live hand grenade, not tears, oh no!

<sniff>

(Just bloody lovely that was Dr D!)

Pavo1334 #7 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17216 battles
  • [LVC]
Yep bad news :-(

ninezerofive #8 Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14597 battles
  • [-905-]
Never seen any of his creation and it looks like too late to start. 

Latest Video by 905 : Let's Play ISU-152 Mastery : https://youtu.be/bUcYWRQB-JA

Sir_erfan #9 Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 18051 battles

I was a skrub in my late 8000th battles with like 53-54 % WR in spite of lots of T18/82 - cruiser stat padding . One day I found this amazing guy on YT doing epic stuff like 1VS4 ing and I think he was the first guy to put guiding gameplays rather than just uploading mastery gameplays . 

I never forget that scene when he was alone against an Obj 704 / Cent / KV4 on dead rails

and managed to win .

I owe him every-single-percent of my WR that is above 54% .

He is amazing . Nothing comes close to his vids .

I will really miss his advices / opinions about tanks , payment policy , new maps and so on , tho I dont play as often now .

Wish the best for him 

If every tank is OP , none is

Dassem_ #10 Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 26177 battles
  • [AFK]

ruckus videos were always a pleasure to watch. hes a perfectionist both in his play and his editing. 

i would say he will be sorely missed, but he has already been missed for quite a while...

REVERSE 3.8!!!  (and check out The Dassem Channel, youtube.)

lordwulfhere #11 Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16230 battles
  • [ENG]
Nice post Dr D. Shame really his videos taught me a lot. All the best ruckus.

SockRobber #12 Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21346 battles
  • [PHNX]

Ruckus's mixture of excellent game play, exceptional production values, and generally awesome videos made him a firm favourite of mine - and helped me no end in getting to grips with Blitz.

Will miss the legend.

Tara for now mate.

BlitzStars.com - World of Tanks: Blitz player statistics signature

BlitzStars.com / (Blitz) Tank Compare

Player and Tank Statistics for WoT: Blitz

Graf_von_Blankenstein #13 Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:25 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31506 battles
  • [VG]

it doesn't matter if he uploads Blitz, Minecraft or whatever. He does awesome stuff and is an entertaining person. 

I feel similar about this game. 

Map Design, vehicle balancing, ingame economic, wargamings rl economics. one word. unbalanced. 

december 2014, when I started, there were not so many tanks, but there was a lot of fun potential. The maps were friendly for every vehicle class. there were maps with big height differences, more open, forcing you to play smart. 

now, since the lights and meds dominate everything on this small maps, the game feels so monotonous. You see the the matchup screen and know exactly whats gonna happen. There is no space for tactical variation. Russian Bias everywhere, IS Hordes, russian lights hordes, russian related chineses.

5 Euro for a camo for a virtual tank, that you have to buy with ingame money over and over again, stupid toy tanks, 50 dollar for a type 59 package, instead of offering a tank only option for a lower price. youre killing it wg.

ruckus had a lot of fun with this game, now hes gone, because a lot has changed and he only represents a not so small number of day one veterans, which are done with the game. 

my prem time ended a week ago. didnt play one round since then and only a few the week before. 

I hope some things will change, but I dont think that this will happen with WGs actual philosophie.

Look at Gajin, perfect example of a company, that doesnt need an enormous greed, ok, russian bias too, but thats s thing you can accept, when the most other things are fine. 

I wish everyone, who holds on Blitz a lot of fun and successful battles. 07

Skorpion G in Blitz?

Dr_D_Kadenz #14 Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15912 battles
  • [IRMA]

Since this seems to have struck a chord, I also posted this on the Asia forums:      From Europe with Love: A Tribute to 48ton_ruckus    

Funny to run through the tutorial again that one went through such a long time ago. 5 battles in 1 and 2 at 350ms ping are also quite the experience... :P

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!’” Rest In Peace, Edurace!

Cameleer_MX #15 Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19348 battles
  • [-WOW-]
Firstly a big thumbs up to the OP as he reflected my own thoughts exactly. I learned a lot from Ruckus and thoroughly enjoyed his very well produced videos. Best of luck to Ruckus as he moves on, with gratitude and appreciation.

Farmer_GG #16 Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:01 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17765 battles
  • [CRNG]
Sorry I have looked but can't find what has actually happened to him.  Please could someone enlighten me? 

SMERSH_T #17 Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25005 battles
  • [EU]

View PostFarmer_GG, on 24 September 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Sorry I have looked but can't find what has actually happened to him.  Please could someone enlighten me? 

He explains it here

https://www.youtube....h?v=zgSoUtFx5ZA

Noob_Tank_C0mmander #18 Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17104 battles
  • [BWC]
*Wipes away tears. I hope Ruckus has a prosperous and enjoyable time with whatever he decides to do. 

The bad guys need to get lucky every time. The good guys need to get lucky once.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/akkhal

HariKariGaryNeedsaCarry #19 Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:31 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 20682 battles
  • [OLD]

Problem is for every great player like Ruckus who leaves, there will be 100 noobs join, with one less person to learn from.

i think he has had a couple of short breaks previously but always found his way back, this one looks more permanent but hopefully he will have a change of heart.

harikarigaryneedsacarry_snowjag_eng.jpeg

Rosehip_come_back #20 Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 7794 battles
He made a comment that if clan wars were well managed and fun, he might make a come back.

I never make the same mistake twice. I make them a hundred times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users