type 62 Rudy lowe

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

thegwa #1 Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11587 battles
  • [DADS]

This is my first post but I've been lurking here since I started playing in June - have hit 4000 games so figure I can be brave enough to come and post some stuff now!

So on to the point of the post - Tanks I want to do well in but don't and am therefore looking for enlightenment/advice/tips to improve! (I'll also add that I'm a massive gold noob and can't help but buy premiums as you'll see below)

Type62

So If I could be amazing at only one premium it would probably be this one. I love this tank, on paper it has everything - camo, reasonable gun handling, great pen, good mobility but I generally suck in it. I find I can do well in the VK28.01 and the Lttb (I acknowledge these are strong tanks) so Im confident that I can play lights but it just doesn't happen for me. I tell myself I always get bad teams with this tank but clearly there's more to it than that - I can;t get anywhere near a mastery. Whats even more annoying is that everyone else in a type62 seems to be some scrub carrying tank god.. What could I be doing wrong? *braces for wotbstars inspection and corresponding roasting*

Lowe

I know alot of people struggle in this and I'm no exception. I've had some great games in it (was my highest XP tank and unike the type62 I've picked up a mastery) but I cannot get the WR to 50. When I can get a good scrape going i feel indestructible but in any other situation I feel like the great pen on the gun is no real advantage as everyone seems to be able to pen me?! The slow speed makes it very difficult to get to positions where I can go hull down etc and so I find if the battle isnt going my way I can't inflience things. Should I follow other heavies? Play like a TD? 

Rudy

So i read about this tank when I started Blitz and loved the sound of it. The T34-85 is a good tank for me (60+Wr) and I was Ok in the T43 (was one of my first mediums, came across from the Heavy line) but I dont feel I can impact battles very much? What are the strengths of this tank that I should be trying to exploit? It seems to be 7/10 in everything, i.e no real weakness but no massive strength? I read someone describe it as having no soul and that sadly feels a bit true to me. Compared to an Lttb it feels really weak? I also find the gun bounces of everything in T8.

Any help/advice for this potato would be great as I really want to do well in these tanks. Tanks and hope to see you on the battlefield =)

HariKariGaryNeedsaCarry #2 Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24047 battles
  • [OLD]

Welcome to the forums you forum lurker!

you will get plenty of good advice from players better than me but take heart, I'm approaching 14k battles and I share your pain, so in theory you should improve massively by the time you get to 10k plus games. 

I also struggle in type 62, just about keep it close to50%, about 55% in the Lowe but love the Rudy. Some tanks just don't suit some drivers. Take the Comet, no please, take it! Everyone says it's OP and such a great tank yet I'm barely at 50%, Rudy I'm around 69%, just weird. 

Its often said you you really don't get a feel for a tank until it's fully maxed and you have close to 100 games in it. 

Crew skills help as well and since I neglected TDs my camo and other crew skills are low. My first 8k battles was pretty much all heavies, only lately I've learned to drive meds and still getting to grips with lights. Given up on TDs except for helsing and T30. 

harikarigaryneedsacarry_snowjag_eng.jpeg

xFluffyDemon #3 Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18215 battles
  • [PINK]

Hy and welcome to the forums :)

I believe u could spend more time in low tier, and u only talk about premiums, what are favorite tanks to play, what classes do u fell confortable in?

View PostGaryMaverickMcConville, on 12 December 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

Take the Comet, no please, take it! Everyone says it's OP and such a great tank yet I'm barely at 50%, Rudy I'm around 69%, just weird. 

The Comet its just OP, even a noob like me make it work.

Edited by vianotik, 12 December 2016 - 06:08 PM.

HariKariGaryNeedsaCarry #4 Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24047 battles
  • [OLD]

View Postvianotik, on 12 December 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

I believe u could spend more time in low tier, and u only talk about premiums, what are favorite tanks to play, what classes do u fell confortable in?

This noob can't make it work, yet!  Love my Rudy, do fine in t43, even have better win rate in panther than do in my Comet. 

Its not the tank it's the driver. I just hope the comet is not like my second ex wife, otherwise we are destined never to get along :(

Pururut #5 Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23326 battles
  • [1RTR_]

Not a good light driver I am but let pururut try.This is not only for type 62 but for most tanks with high speed and no armor.

Thegwa does well in vk 28 and lttb for they are in reality turbo charged medium tanks.As in type 62 and ru-251 they trade the armor for even more mobility and faster reloads.It dawned on me after a small talk with a PHNX member.Lack of armor is compensated by map instinct, knowing where the enemy is and will be by reading team compositions at the start of the game.Planning the spotting positon and retreat path from the start while dynamically changing tactics about whether to retreat,flank or advance by looking at the minimap and making solid decisions through observing the change in the health pool of enemies and teammates simultaneously.

This might seem like it is too much but fear not for there is only a few things you have to do.Grind every nation and every tank line, the best way to know how the enemy vehicle will react and where it will go to is to play that vehicle.Sole observation will also do but it will take more time.Decision making,map knowledge can unfortunately be only obtained through playing more and more.Maybe convincing some high end players to teach you might accelarate the progress but I dunno.

You can also observe everthing around you in by staying in sniper mode for more accurate shooting but I am yet to learn that.Pururut hopes that this was enlightening enough.

Pyon

HariKariGaryNeedsaCarry #6 Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24047 battles
  • [OLD]

thegwa, having had a peek at your tanks I think that although generally it's good advice to spend more time at lower tiers, I don't think this necessarily applies in your case.

If you pop up on my green team at tier 7, 8 or 9, Gary would be a happy tanker ;)

Noob_Tank_C0mmander #7 Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 18811 battles
  • [BWC]

I disagree the comet is not OP. Ive got 65 battles in it and a 55 wr and yes I appreciate thats not a quantifiable measure if a tank is OP or not but the comet is very a good tank. 

xFluffyDemon #8 Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18215 battles
  • [PINK]

View PostGaryMaverickMcConville, on 12 December 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

thegwa, having had a peek at your tanks I think that although generally it's good advice to spend more time at lower tiers, I don't think this necessarily applies in your case.

If you pop up on my green team at tier 7, 8 or 9, Gary would be a happy tanker ;)

Yeah i dont club a lot, i guess im the only one that thinks low tiers are harder than high tiers. And just send me a frind request and we can toon some day.

Edited by vianotik, 12 December 2016 - 07:21 PM.

romsitsa #9 Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 47081 battles
  • [VG]

You play way too passive. Don't know why, but your spot rate is low both for Rudy and Type. The most prominent difference is between VK 28 - Type 62 - Type 59. Try to use all your meds and lights like the VK.

If it wasn't nerfed since I drove it for the last time then Comet is seriously OP.

A

Edited by romsitsa, 12 December 2016 - 09:40 PM.

jonty_2014 #10 Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 65949 battles
  • [EMRS]

Hy and welcome.

Looking at your stats, I suggest a lot of your success is from heavies... and your success in the VK28.01& LTTB may well be due to reliance on the armour - both have superb mobility teamed with seriously bouncy armour and angles... maybe more practice in weak low tier paper armoured tanks to sharpen your hiding & shoot'n'scoot skills. Rudy has excellent DPM over the tier 6 T34/85, so maybe shoot a little more prammo?  The Löwe needs to have the lower glacis covered or hidden.  The only other thing that stands out is that your average damage could be higher, but you perform very well at higher tiers.

Empros is recruiting! Message me in game to apply.

Y4533N #11 Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:11 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25672 battles
  • [RIOT-]
Is7 for me :/ and fv215b

Clan Leader of RIOT      Several WOTB clans use our clan bot and we have 2 clan servers - so we are very active. Join the public Discord Server WITH discord link:-  https://discord.gg/uwSNe5T & WE HAVE OUR OWN Discord bot with over 4000 users!   "When I die, I want WG to lower me in the Grave so they can let me down one last time"  - Y4533N.  :teethhappy:

IrmaBecx #12 Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:31 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25615 battles
  • [AFK]

Rudy is the best tank in the game, because Rudy can do anything. That of course depends on the driver being able to do anything as well... The real strength of Rudy is mobility and flexibility; it's a tank that lets you put thought into action really quickly. Also it has some gun depression, which is unusual for a Russian, but then Rudy is of course Polish.

Again, this all depends on you as a driver being able to read the game so you know where to go in order to be effective. This is what is called "map awareness". The thing is if you are a bit lacking in this department, you won't be able to realise the potential of a tank like Rudy. Same with gun depression - a few degrees more will make a massive difference for an experienced player, because they'll be able to use spots to hide their hull.

The worst situation you can be in is not knowing where to go. In a fast tank like the Rudy, you should know right away where you should go to get some initial spots in. Take a shot if it's safe, but don't take any damage! Then you run away and wait for the initial positions to develop. When people settle down in their hull-down spots, you should already be at your second spot; ideally somwhere behind your team or off to one side.

You can already tell this involves a lot of map knowledge, that is crucial to make the Rudy work. What I do is watch a lot of Youtube videos where people play Medium tanks, and I pay attention to where they go and how they work their spots to get shots in. then, when I am playing, I look for Red tanks to get spotted in places where I know where to go to get shots at them.

I am kind of in a slump at the moment, and a lot of it is because we have new maps and I haven't scouted enough spots on them to be comfortable in laying out my strategy in different scenarios. On older maps, I tend to do better.

So yeah, playing a tank geared towards flexibility requires the driver to stay alert in order to realise its' potential. It's not about the DPM, it's not about the armour, it's simply about being in the right place at the right time. And it takes practice. The good news are, there are literally thousands of Blitz gameplay videos out there, and they all have stuff to teach you. As your tactical knowledge increases, tanks like the Rudy will come into their own and start to shine.

Best of luck! 

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

thegwa #13 Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:12 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11587 battles
  • [DADS]

View PostPururut, on 12 December 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

Thegwa does well in vk 28 and lttb for they are in reality turbo charged medium tanks.As in type 62 and ru-251 they trade the armor for even more mobility and faster reloads.It dawned on me after a small talk with a PHNX member.Lack of armor is compensated by map instinct, knowing where the enemy is and will be by reading team compositions at the start of the game.Planning the spotting positon and retreat path from the start while dynamically changing tactics about whether to retreat,flank or advance by looking at the minimap and making solid decisions through observing the change in the health pool of enemies and teammates simultaneously.

This might seem like it is too much but fear not for there is only a few things you have to do.Grind every nation and every tank line, the best way to know how the enemy vehicle will react and where it will go to is to play that vehicle.Sole observation will also do but it will take more time.Decision making,map knowledge can unfortunately be only obtained through playing more and more.Maybe convincing some high end players to teach you might accelarate the progress but I dunno.

You make good points about the VK and Lttb beign more like mediums - I definitely get alot of bounces off the front plates of those. I also need to stop cheery picking tanks I like and grind them all, as you say i'll learn more. Thanks.

View PostGaryMaverickMcConville, on 12 December 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

+1 morale - thanks for the compliment! The comet was next on my list of tanks to grind to btw, although I'm unsure how i'll do in it. I fair OK in the Bromwell (although the WR is better than my actual performance I think, another hundred games will see it fall I suspect) but do much better int he angled meds (T34-85 etc)

View Postromsitsa, on 12 December 2016 - 09:38 PM, said:

You play way too passive. Don't know why, but your spot rate is low both for Rudy and Type. The most prominent difference is between VK 28 - Type 62 - Type 59. Try to use all your meds and lights like the VK.

If it wasn't nerfed since I drove it for the last time then Comet is seriously OP.

A

When I get in the VK and aggressively flank it just seems to go well, if I puish out wide early to spot at T7+ i seem to get rekt?! Perhaps this is a consequence of going up a tier where players are more aware of being flanked/spotted..?

View Postjonty_2014, on 12 December 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

Hy and welcome.

Looking at your stats, I suggest a lot of your success is from heavies... and your success in the VK28.01& LTTB may well be due to reliance on the armour - both have superb mobility teamed with seriously bouncy armour and angles... maybe more practice in weak low tier paper armoured tanks to sharpen your hiding & shoot'n'scoot skills. Rudy has excellent DPM over the tier 6 T34/85, so maybe shoot a little more prammo?  The Löwe needs to have the lower glacis covered or hidden.  The only other thing that stands out is that your average damage could be higher, but you perform very well at higher tiers.

I think you're right about the more armoured nature of the lights that Ive done Ok in (should they be called Mights?! Ledium doesnt sound very cool!). I'll take your advice and play a softer low tier tank. Any recommendations? I played the Luchs very early on and made a mess of that but did OK in the Leopard so anything other than those 2..

View PostIrmaBecx, on 13 December 2016 - 01:31 AM, said:

Rudy is the best tank in the game, because Rudy can do anything. That of course depends on the driver being able to do anything as well... The real strength of Rudy is mobility and flexibility; it's a tank that lets you put thought into action really quickly. Also it has some gun depression, which is unusual for a Russian, but then Rudy is of course Polish.

Again, this all depends on you as a driver being able to read the game so you know where to go in order to be effective. This is what is called "map awareness". The thing is if you are a bit lacking in this department, you won't be able to realise the potential of a tank like Rudy. Same with gun depression - a few degrees more will make a massive difference for an experienced player, because they'll be able to use spots to hide their hull.

The worst situation you can be in is not knowing where to go. In a fast tank like the Rudy, you should know right away where you should go to get some initial spots in. Take a shot if it's safe, but don't take any damage! Then you run away and wait for the initial positions to develop. When people settle down in their hull-down spots, you should already be at your second spot; ideally somwhere behind your team or off to one side.

You can already tell this involves a lot of map knowledge, that is crucial to make the Rudy work. What I do is watch a lot of Youtube videos where people play Medium tanks, and I pay attention to where they go and how they work their spots to get shots in. then, when I am playing, I look for Red tanks to get spotted in places where I know where to go to get shots at them.

I am kind of in a slump at the moment, and a lot of it is because we have new maps and I haven't scouted enough spots on them to be comfortable in laying out my strategy in different scenarios. On older maps, I tend to do better.

So yeah, playing a tank geared towards flexibility requires the driver to stay alert in order to realise its' potential. It's not about the DPM, it's not about the armour, it's simply about being in the right place at the right time. And it takes practice. The good news are, there are literally thousands of Blitz gameplay videos out there, and they all have stuff to teach you. As your tactical knowledge increases, tanks like the Rudy will come into their own and start to shine.

Best of luck! 

I think Map awareness is the key thing I lack, and it's more pronounced on some maps. When I started I followed all the advice that yourself and the other excellent forum contributors clearly lay out about learning techniques(sidescraping, not trading damage etc) and you can learn those things in a weekend. Map awareness seems to take longer though.. =/ Middleberg, old mines, rockfield all feel comfortable to me now but there are some maps I really am unsure where I'm most effective - in those instances I generally just avoid town! In the new map I still have no idea whether/when I should be going left or right!

Thanks for all the useful feedback!

papigion #14 Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 49366 battles
  • [_JFU_]

well...my 2cents of advice ..not the best ones since i am a little yoloer but.. light tanks..map awareness..first you have to go and spot..shoot and then retreat while heavies are arriving..or you can stay there and spot but not expose your self.. if you are spotted and enemy can shoot you  then you have only one option..run forest runnnnnnn ..rellocate  you are fast enough to do this..

lowe ..hull down show only turret ..tank is a beast  but you have to learn it ..

tier 6 and below for me is just for yoloing ..i cant give a good advice on those ..

romsitsa #15 Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 47081 battles
  • [VG]

How do you "get rekt"?

Your stats look like you go to spot, find reds, engage them and trade shots. At least you have a higher spot ratio in better armored/bouncy tanks, so I'd say you survive longer or push harder in them.

A

thegwa #16 Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:58 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11587 battles
  • [DADS]

View Postromsitsa, on 13 December 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

How do you "get rekt"?

Your stats look like you go to spot, find reds, engage them and trade shots. At least you have a higher spot ratio in better armored/bouncy tanks, so I'd say you survive longer or push harder in them.

A

I think maybe I'm spotting from too close, perhaps using the speed to engage rather than disengage? I dont think i'm very good at getting away from situations when I'm spotted whilst spotting, and take fire. Thinking about it now I probably do end up trading shots at that point, and then not doing well due to lack of bounce etc and get blown up early. 

Do people use binos with Lights? (and the lowe actually?) - I tend to use optics...

I find if I can survive the initial 2 mins of the battle (once 3 or 4 tanks are gone and it's all a bit more fluid) I think I contribute more.Perhaps I should hang back and then scout?! If that's possible..

IrmaBecx #17 Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25615 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postthegwa, on 13 December 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

You make good points about the VK and Lttb beign more like mediums - I definitely get alot of bounces off the front plates of those. I also need to stop cheery picking tanks I like and grind them all, as you say i'll learn more. Thanks.

I think Map awareness is the key thing I lack, and it's more pronounced on some maps. When I started I followed all the advice that yourself and the other excellent forum contributors clearly lay out about learning techniques(sidescraping, not trading damage etc) and you can learn those things in a weekend. Map awareness seems to take longer though.. =/ Middleberg, old mines, rockfield all feel comfortable to me now but there are some maps I really am unsure where I'm most effective - in those instances I generally just avoid town! In the new map I still have no idea whether/when I should be going left or right!

Thanks for all the useful feedback!

Just a quick point about the VK and LTTB - yes, they resemble Medium tanks more because they have some actual armour, the T-54 Lightweight is the same. This means you can get away with playing them like Mediums, because if it all goes sideways you have the speed and camo to get away, and then you start playing like a Light tank for the rest of the game.

But, playing a Light tank like a medium is a bad idea for two reasons. One, playing like a Medium in a tank that isn't balanced for it means you are playing a weaker Medium. You won't be as good at doing your job in game. And two, when you switch to a Light tank that doesn't have armour, you will have learned nothing about how to play a Light tank and you'll have to start from scratch.

I did this with the T-54 Lightweight myself. It out-armours pretty much all tier VIII Mediums, and it even looks like a Medium. But when I started playing it like an actual Light tank, not only did the tank perform much better, but my results went up as well: more damage, and more wins.

So if you do pretty well in the VK or LTTB, that doesn't mean you'll do well in the Type 62. This is because the Type can't be played like a Medium tank; it needs to be firing from outside viewrange, resetting camo, and only fighting up close when forced or in the endgame; all that classic Light tank stuff.

Light tanks require map awareness, yes, but they also teach map awareness. The speed and agility will let you reach spots on the maps you never could before, because your tanks have been too slow and clumsy to reach them. In a Light tank, you can roll up on a hill or shelf, activate Binocs and see if anything pops, and then just leave. The important thing is to get into the right mindset; you are not supposed to carry the game, you are there to support your team. This means taking longer to put out damage, you should always be prepared to go the full seven minutes.

The hardest thing for me was running away from engagements. If you are fighting Heavy tanks frontally - relocate. If you have more than two enemies close to you - relocate. If you don't have any teammates between you and the Red team - relocate. If you don't have any shots and no chance for spots - relocate. And, of course, most importantly: if you are about to get spotted - relocate!

Note that says about to get spotted. To drive a Light tank successfully, you need to develop that Light tank paranoia about getting spotted, because being spotted usually means having three shells inbound when the light goes off. That is why you need to move before the light goes off, and in a Light tank, you will develop this special ability. Light tank paranoia is also useful when you are driving your Medium tanks and doing the peek-a-boom.

I don't spend a lot of time in the training rooms, but I have done lately because of the new maps, and I can't recommend it enough. Hop in your Type 62 and just drive around solo, learn how it moves, what hills it can climb, where you can get shots at Supremacy caps and other known avenues of approach. The more you do this, the more you will start seeing the thought behind the map designs. If you start moving from the spawn, there will be spots designed to give you cover at irregular intervals. There will be firing avenues aimed at approach routes. There will be hull-down spots. All these things are built into the maps, and once you find them and start using them, you'll do much better in game. And the more you drive around in your Type, the better you will know what it can do.

Light tanks are great, because it doesn't really matter if you go left or right at the start. You have the speed to change flanks in seconds. And you need to take into account you'll be spending a fair amount of time on the move. This is ok, though, because you will become more valuable and more dangerous the longer you stay in the game - especially with all your hitpoints left. So you have time to do crazy things like climb a tall hill to get spots with your Binocs, because you'll just use your speed to get out of there if you get spotted. Like with map awareness, it takes a bit of time to come to terms with this kind of playstyle. A Light tank sets you free in the sense that it allows you to roam the maps at breakneck speed. If you have spotted the entire red team and know where they are, the entire rest of the map is open to you, and you can go wherever you want.

And if you know a few places you could go to get shots at them from outside their viewrange, that's when you are doing your job.

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

tiggersausages #18 Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 39664 battles
  • [IMM0R]

62 is the funnest way to make credits for sure i love it.

It has gotten harder though i think as it now has more comparable (and better armoured) competition so if you play it right getting spots early on you may also run into red lights doing the same thing - be cautious if there are  a lot more lights on reds than greens but otherwise always get out there early on then for spots then keep on the move relocate and try to stay out of the firing line then towards the end game you can move in and into 'drive it like you stole it mode' to finish them up. It handles brilliantly with excellent pick up and you can out manoevoure most of the competition. 

Oh and try to avoid Su's! they will enjoy one shotting you muchly

jonty_2014 #19 Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:55 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 65949 battles
  • [EMRS]
Learning survival skills with little armour? British Cruisers, T-46, the new US Autoloaders.  Best one for learning survivability is the M2 light with the 20mm autocannon.

Empros is recruiting! Message me in game to apply.

TwistedTransistor #20 Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 31351 battles
  • [AFK]
I also struggle with Rudy. I bought it because I'm polish and i was watching the movie when i was a child.
I don't know why but i do better in the other mediums. I played it yesterday and even with APCR i couldn't pen the tier 8 heavies. IS6 straight in the driver's hatch and ... bounced. 52% WR in it is far below my expectations ... but it has to be me not the tank.

Also tagged with type 62, Rudy, lowe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users