Jump to content


Vanishing Tanks


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Tnuc_1 #1 Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:18 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 26132 battles
  • 2
  • [NOCLA]
  • Member since:
    12-08-2016

Can anyone tell me why an enemy tank will be there and then it vanishes only to reaper? It is always in a better position to fire at me. I am new to WoT. is this normal



SpawnIscariot #2 Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:48 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 1 battle
  • 50
  • Member since:
    05-18-2015

Here's an overview on how spotting/camo works on the PC version from the wiki.

 

Blitz is basically the same.


Active in Battle & Forums

on the

Asia Server

 

hson_hson #3 Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 30342 battles
  • 3,656
  • [VLNT]
  • Member since:
    08-19-2014

Here is the short version of that wiki article.

 

Each tank in the game has got a specified view range, this means that one tank can see the other without the other being able to see the first one.

This is also affected by the crew in that tank, i.e a MS-1 with a 50% crew will have less effective view range than a MS-1 with 100% crew.

Each tank type also has a basic camouflage while stationary and decreases when moving and even further if it is shooting.



Stockschen2 #4 Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 3599 battles
  • 4
  • [UFT]
  • Member since:
    08-09-2016
Whith other words, they disappear because you are unable to see them.

However, when you look at things that can fall over, like trees etc. , and have quick response you can shoot the place where you think a tank shoud be, and hit them (if you dont see your shell land you must have hit him). Doing so has sometimes saved my live! But you must also play a lot to practise.

Edited by Stockschen2, 07 March 2017 - 08:54 PM.


Precariat #5 Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 15273 battles
  • 725
  • [B-B-B]
  • Member since:
    03-06-2017

Today I've noticed some tanks disappearing in the open where I was surely the closest tank to them, I was playing on TDs so my view range should be good. Then they often re-appear just as they shoot after crossing open ground. It's like a teleport effect.

 

Any ideas as to what is going on?


When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

 


hoihaguy #6 Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12752 battles
  • 446
  • [VG]
  • Member since:
    07-05-2014

View PostPrecariat, on 24 May 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

Today I've noticed some tanks disappearing in the open where I was surely the closest tank to them, I was playing on TDs so my view range should be good. Then they often re-appear just as they shoot after crossing open ground. It's like a teleport effect.

 

Any ideas as to what is going on?

 

not all tds have good view range. was your tank russian? or maybe the enemy was a light tank. light tanks keep full camo on the move. if he had shot before he'd have been spotted and then would disappear a bit kater, when he was in your sight.

Edited by hoihaguy, 24 May 2017 - 12:02 PM.

there's only one balance WG cares about

its their bank account balance


Precariat #7 Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 15273 battles
  • 725
  • [B-B-B]
  • Member since:
    03-06-2017

Well one was a tank that had grounded itself so it couldn't or didn't move it just disappeared and re-appeared in the same spot and I'm noticing it a lot now, seems nearly every battle it happens. I've changed tanks between battles and it feels like a cheat when they vanish while moving in the open.

 

Was a JPz.I iirc (vr 233 on mines map) enemy was coming down the slope, with the grounded tank about the same distance away.

 

Edit: Seems to have stopped now


Edited by Precariat, 24 May 2017 - 02:03 PM.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

 


Blue_Snail #8 Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4519 battles
  • 375
  • [ALBAB]
  • Member since:
    05-21-2017

If you see a stationary tank disappear, you can shoot at the same spot.  Oftentimes you will hit the tank and it will re-appear.

However, there is an aspect that you should be aware of.

Sometimes when you are shooting where you suspect the tank is, you may now be aiming at a spot that is a hundred yard behind where the tank is, so you shot may go over the invisible tank.



 


Precariat #9 Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 15273 battles
  • 725
  • [B-B-B]
  • Member since:
    03-06-2017

View PostBlue_Snail, on 24 May 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

If you see a stationary tank disappear, you can shoot at the same spot.  Oftentimes you will hit the tank and it will re-appear.

However, there is an aspect that you should be aware of.

Sometimes when you are shooting where you suspect the tank is, you may now be aiming at a spot that is a hundred yard behind where the tank is, so you shot may go over the invisible tank.

 

I have done this a few times, even getting the occasional kill. So if I understand correctly a tank can disappear because it moves, even if it is moving right towards you? That is so ridiculous!

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

 


RandomFreak #10 Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 20260 battles
  • 89
  • Member since:
    05-15-2016

View PostPrecariat, on 26 May 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

 

I have done this a few times, even getting the occasional kill. So if I understand correctly a tank can disappear because it moves, even if it is moving right towards you? That is so ridiculous!

 

Not necessarily, the tank may have been spotted by one of your teamates that has now moved so is no longer spotting them or it could be just out side of spotting range but dropped it's cammo rating when it fired it's gun and then retreated into cover to reset it's cammo. It's all part of the game and learning to spot tanks and remember where they are through watching your mini map is a learned skill that will Improve your game play and win rate

Precariat #11 Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:14 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 15273 battles
  • 725
  • [B-B-B]
  • Member since:
    03-06-2017

View PostRandomFreak, on 26 May 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

 

Not necessarily, the tank may have been spotted by one of your teamates that has now moved so is no longer spotting them or it could be just out side of spotting range but dropped it's cammo rating when it fired it's gun and then retreated into cover to reset it's cammo. It's all part of the game and learning to spot tanks and remember where they are through watching your mini map is a learned skill that will Improve your game play and win rate

 

Doesn't apply to the instances I mean, these were tanks in the open at close range with no intervening cover, one moved only a short distance but the effect was it "teleported" a few tank lengths in a straight line in full view.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

 


Chairman_merpug #12 Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 45143 battles
  • 8,895
  • [AFK]
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013
Spotting does seem to have changed in some undefined way recently. Can't put my finger on it, but things like a T29 being able to spot my T20 before I spot him seem just wrong.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug


RandomFreak #13 Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 20260 battles
  • 89
  • Member since:
    05-15-2016

View PostPrecariat, on 27 May 2017 - 05:14 AM, said:

 

Doesn't apply to the instances I mean, these were tanks in the open at close range with no intervening cover, one moved only a short distance but the effect was it "teleported" a few tank lengths in a straight line in full view.

 

If they were that close to you then I don't think it was anything to do with spotting.  Sounds more like a lag issue either on the upload or download leg somewhere on the net or in  the WG server.  When this happens tanks can as you say teleport to a new position as the client app will be moving the tank based on the last information it recieved from the server and has to catch up with the new correct information received late due to the lag.  Depending on the length of the lag that new information can be anything from slightly different to the tank being 100's of meters away.  Doesn't help you I know but just part of online gaming I'm afraid.

Edited by RandomFreak, 27 May 2017 - 11:39 AM.


jakobrygaard #14 Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 23411 battles
  • 146
  • [-OD-]
  • Member since:
    07-02-2014

View PostPrecariat, on 27 May 2017 - 05:14 AM, said:

 

Doesn't apply to the instances I mean, these were tanks in the open at close range with no intervening cover, one moved only a short distance but the effect was it "teleported" a few tank lengths in a straight line in full view.

 

As suggested it could be a problem with lag. If you could provide distance it might help, since "close range" is a matter of definition. Some tanks have really good camo rating and you wont spot them easily. When a tank fires, it will drop almost all of its camo rating making it appear if its within your view range pretty much. A little while after firing (5-10 secs) his camo will reset and he will disappear - if he then continues to drive towards you, he will at some point get spotted obviously. Im guessing its one of those two options :)

Precariat #15 Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:41 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 15273 battles
  • 725
  • [B-B-B]
  • Member since:
    03-06-2017
Thanks everyone, I guess it's just another thing I'll have to accept (along with the camera problems). Never really had this problem with other online games :(

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

 





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users