Knowing your role on battlefield [ and acting accordingly ]

Role battlefield support scout brawl snipe

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Your favourite role on battlefield (220 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

What is your favourite role on battlefield ?

1. Brawler (70 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. Support - first line (48 votes [21.82%])

Percentage of vote: 21.82%

3. Support - second line (36 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

4. Flanker (53 votes [24.09%])

Percentage of vote: 24.09%

5. Scout (13 votes [5.91%])

Percentage of vote: 5.91%

Vote Hide poll

x_Iskra_x #1 Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:55 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 21661 battles

POPULAR

.:: KNOWING YOUR ROLE ON BATTLEFIELD [ AND ACTING ACCORDINGLY ]::.

World of Tanks Blitz sports 4 classes of vehicles : light tanks , medium tanks , heavy tanks and tank destroyers ( shorter name - "TD" ).While at first sight this list looks straight forward , there are many positive and negative sides of any tank of any class that shapes their indentity and gives them specific role on battlefield.Knowing to utilize your tank and his role on field to maximum is as important as situational awareness.

Moving further to the point , there is couple of roles that tank can do on battlefield :

- Brawler

- Support  ( sub role  : first line support , second line support - sniper , flanker )

- Scout  ( sub role : flanker ) 

- Camper ( role : sitting at one place and  being useless )

( PICTURE : tank designations in game: one star- light tank, two stripes - medium tank, three stripes - heavy tank ; TD are marked with pyramid shape )

So let's get started with detailed description of roles...

.:: BRAWLER , AKA YOU SHALL NOT PASS::.

Brawler tanks usually refers to heavy tanks with big HP ( hitpoints ) pool that can withstand bigger amount of hits due to combination of better armor and angling it properly at given moments to deflect shells from opponent tanks.Brawler tanks are usually slow and should immediately after start of match head to main battle zone to get better defense position before opponents.Being a big , armored tank means you should always be at first line of battle and soak up damage so other , nimble tanks , from your team can support you effectively and not be targeted and taken out fast.Brawler tanks are one that lead attack and breakthrough after opponent tanks are weak enough to do one.Use your HP to advantage , never fear to lead an advance.Heavy tanks guns usually reloads much slower so don't forget to angle,  or more advised, hide while your gun reloads.More often, your role will be to hold enemy advance at any cost and I mean that literally - team that first  breaks brawler defense line usually wins as that leaves less armored tanks from support vulnerable.

In short : Always be at first line , Use HP pool to compensate for support tanks, angle efficiently , hold line at any cost 

Example of brawler tanks : IS-3 , E-75 , T-29  ( T28 and T95 as breakthrough brawler tanks )

Medals to aim for : Steel wall, sniper 

Class motto " I am maybe slow, but in the end, I will crush you "

.:: SUPPORT, AKA CAVALRY IS COMING::.

First line support 

Usually TD and some mediums that have certain armor advantages , so when utilized, those tanks can effectively support brawler tanks at first battle line.This means using peek- a - boo tactic ( shooting fast and moving to cover instantly ) or going hull down ( using better gun depression on terrain to your advantage ). You might have some armor, but in most cases lower HP pool.Your role is to follow and support brawler tank at close range and cover his sides from other flanking tanks ( especially faster mediums that try to circle slower heavy tank ) ;  use him as shield if neccesary ( but mind not to block his escape path ! ).If neccesary , you should change your role into flanker and use any openings in opponents defense to advance as match progresses.

Example of tanks  : Ferdinand , T32 

Second line support- snipers 

Tanks that have low HP pool or next to none armor for their tier, but either lower dispersion or high damage guns ( most TDs are in this role ).Snipers represent heavy hitting guns to either break enemy defense or hold their advance.As a sniper tank, it is imperative to stay undetected so you can keep dishing out steady damage to tanks scouted by your teammates.Always prioritize bigger tanks , help your teammates if you have clear shot of enemy tanks ready to fire on your low HP teammate, instantly move from vulnerable position if you've been spotted.At later stages of battle , move in front and support  from first line.

Example of tanks : ISU -152, JagdPanther 

Flanker

You know that annoying mosquito on hot summer days that buzzes around you , evades your hits and just waits for his opportunity when you settle down ? Well, you are that mosquito with flanker tank.Look for openings in enemy defense line, use them to flank and hit their tanks from behind.Use hit and run tactic , move at any time , use all your speed to your advantage.Try to destroy other team medium tanks first to make job for heavies easier , in the end support job is to get rid of competition that can do same thing fast.Your gun shoots fast and damage per minute exceeds heavy tanks damage , only problem is utilizing all that firepower effectively. One way would be to park undetected behind enemy lines and start shooting biggest fish in pond inflicting critical damage on his tank modules , other would be famous circle of death ( COD ) - utilizing speed to circle around slower enemies and shoot them to death.Just one warning, be aware of your surrounding and other tanks before rushing in blindly to do COD.

Example of tanks : T-44, Panther , VK 45.02 A ( as flank support to other mediums , not COD ! ) 

In  short  : follow and defend brawler tank if in first line, shoot biggest threat to your team if second line support , be annoying hit and run tank when flanking , use COD ( only if in fast tank ! ) on isolated slow tanks 

Medals to aim for: Sniper, Confederate 

Motto : " more annoying than mosquito "

"you spin me round, round , round ... "

.:: SCOUT, AKA LIGHTING MENACE  ::.

Any Medium tank primary role should be to scout for enemy tanks before engagement actually  starts.This doesn't mean suicide scouting or rushing into enemy lines and being shot to death, but similar tactic to mosquito flanker , spot tanks , provoke them but don't get into their line of fire.As you will be often targeted as easier prey by other tanks, use that to your advantage.You function as eyes for your close and second line support so it is possible to lure over-confident opponent tanks into trap or evade aggressive tanks that really , really want to kill your little tank while they get shot by your teammates.Scouting isn't easy, but it pays off significantly , both in credits and experince after match is won.

In short : scout early on but don't rush into enemy tanks, try luring enemy tanks into trap

Example of scout tanks : any light tank , T-54 

Medals to aim for : scout , patrol duty

Motto : " lighting up bulbs better than Edison " 

.:: CAMPER, AKA  WHY IS EVERYONE CURSING AT ME ::.

( ADVICE : DON'T BE THAT PERSON )

Camping is unique role of being useless and not understanding what your tank is capable of.Don't mistake camping with sniping , later is active support that at any given moment tries to support from afar.Camping means tank is parked in his favorite spot far from front, usually obstructed and unable to shoot at any opponent and not being willing to move when others need support at other part of map.What is the reason of someone camping , no one has determined yet, but there are couple  of clinical studies undergoing at this moment to evaluate what person that camps is thinking in his head while doing it.

In short : don't camp , every tank can be usefull no matter the tier 

Medals to aim for : none 

Motto : " At least I'm alive for 10 more seconds " 

BUT WAIT, THIS IS NOT THE END !

.:: EXCEPTION(S)  TO ROLE /  RULE  ON BATTLEFIELD RULES   ::.

There is a fatal flaw in this guide, and that is taking tanks and matchmaker ( "MM" ) as granted  and that  it will always pair you up with variety of tanks so you can assume  tank primary role without second thoughts to it.However and unfortunately for all, this is not true, and eventually you will end up as ( only ) top tier in tank not suited best for first line combat.

Example : tier VII battle, you are in Panther and there is only one more tier VII -  IS on opponents team.Most likely, you will be spawned in default position for medium tank ( flanking ), this is a default way game gives  you hints what do next.In this instance however, better decision would be to assume brawler role and priritize taking out highest thread so lower tiers can exchange shots with opposition on equal terms.

Generally speaking, highest tier should always be more agressive as most match depends on them , medium tiers in match are flexible and can take designated roles that suit them and their tanks as match progresses , lower tiers have usually limited choices with being either scout or  flanker (being annoying, serving as distraction , taking out enemy scouts ).

In short : the role of a tank changes based on its position in MM, however don't assume roles that your tank won't be able to do properly for longer periods  during match

Edited by x_Iskra_x, 23 February 2015 - 11:38 PM.

Spike1941 #2 Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 2380 battles

Fantastic guide, thanks very much!

You're a bit hard on the campers though.... ;)   At the beginning of a match, I do camp a for a little while when I'm in a TD that is either really vulnerable, or really slow, or both (Jagdpanzer I, Marder, T-40, SU-76, SU-85B).  I go to my favourite spot, and stay there until most of the enemy team (4 or more) have been spotted.  Only then will I know whether it's a good idea to move position or not, especially since I'll be killed if I'm caught in the open by an enemy or two who haven't been spotted yet. 

Once you get to Tier V, the TDs get better armour and most get faster, so it's easier to survive when changing position.

PePe_Sha #3 Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11616 battles
@Iskra, I would say it's the best manual I've seen.

x_Iskra_x #4 Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 21661 battles

View PostSpike1941, on 28 November 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Fantastic guide, thanks very much!

You're a bit hard on the campers though.... ;)   At the beginning of a match, I do camp a for a little while when I'm in a TD that is either really vulnerable, or really slow, or both (Jagdpanzer I, Marder, T-40, SU-76, SU-85B).  I go to my favourite spot, and stay there until most of the enemy team (4 or more) have been spotted.  Only then will I know whether it's a good idea to move position or not, especially since I'll be killed if I'm caught in the open by an enemy or two who haven't been spotted yet. 

Once you get to Tier V, the TDs get better armour and most get faster, so it's easier to survive when changing position.

Thank you for reading my guide !

About campers, I was maybe too harsh , but that is just to build up early on people mentality , at least those reading guide(s) or lurking in thread will know difference between  active support that wins games and passive support that usually loses games.Camping should be not encouraged at any given time , active support is where it's all at.

View PostPePe_Sha, on 28 November 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

@Iskra, I would say it's the best manual I've seen.

Thank you for your kind words !

On on a side note :

- added poll about your favorite class on battlefield, vote away

- fixed some "minor" grammar errors

Thank you all for replying to thread and if you have any comments or suggestions for this or other  guide post away, don't be shy:smile:

PROUD FOUNDER OF VALIANT CLAN

niceclaws #5 Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19582 battles
  • [VG-II]
A very nice guide, well done!

gguinjoan #6 Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3775 battles
  • [VG-II]
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

KapitainZino #7 Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19388 battles
Wow, amasing guide, the best i found about WOTB! Thank you very much!

x_Iskra_x #8 Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 21661 battles

View Postniceclaws, on 29 November 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

A very nice guide, well done!

View Postgguinjoan, on 03 December 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

View PostKapitainZino, on 05 December 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

Wow, amasing guide, the best i found about WOTB! Thank you very much!

Thank you all for reading guide and commens !

UPDATE : seems like I missed  explaining most imporant part of game that ultimately defines tank role in match ;added "exception" to rules guide part

markush100 #9 Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5827 battles
  • [MKD]
great guide. But Edison didnt invent the lightbulb. He sold it.

Crack em' capitalist chassis!

Push ye' oldy fascist front plate thru the tankette

СЛАВА СССР!!!!

MrCorruptor #10 Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:16 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5442 battles
This is the best guide I've ever seen!
The Pz. IV Hydrostat is all it matters in life.

x_Iskra_x #11 Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 21661 battles

View Postmarkush100, on 30 January 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

great guide. But Edison didnt invent the lightbulb. He sold it.

I think you missunderstood my sentence , I was refering to lighting bulbs part that Edison did often as part of show , alonside with killing poor animals with his electricity :(

View PostMinecraft242424, on 30 January 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

This is the best guide I've ever seen!

Thank you for kind words Minecraft.I'm always happy to see people on forum use this guide as reference when discussing on tank roles.My goal was always to share knowledge of my long time tanking with everyone.I might write couple more guides in future if I get more free time.

Chargerbull #12 Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24176 battles
  • [VG-II]
Great guide! Hope the newcomers will read it!

Chargerbull aka Movingforwardinarapidbutnotatallthreateningwaybovine

ykohistsni #13 Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12185 battles
  • [THIGH]

Nice guide, +1 :P

About scouting, it might not exist yet since most of the time people end up dying doing that. And light don't really matter as there are low tier like 2,3,4, but because they are newbie, they would more likery shoot than scout. Later WG should put lights like Chaffee, panzer I.C and MT-25(fat version of t50-2), and then scout would be true

Buff the Jadgtiger 8.8 plssssssssss

WiseOldElf #14 Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12872 battles
Nice work mate:) But as I see ingame,90% of players havent read this(they suppose to do:) )

b0zel #15 Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 24400 battles
  • [REDMI]
Not agree about camper. Good camper (on right position and suitable map) - best support. He don't block you while do a lot of damage. Some tanks (specially - TDs) are "born to" camp/snipe :bush:
There are so many countries that can be attacked for defense from USA

x_Iskra_x #16 Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 21661 battles

View Postb0zel, on 19 February 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

Not agree about camper. Good camper (on right position and suitable map) - best support. He don't block you while do a lot of damage. Some tanks (specially - TDs) are "born to" camp/snipe :bush:

That is why I distinguish between camper and active sniper role in guide.What you are describing is active sniping support tank parked in good position to hit most opposition tanks, or at least stop breaktrough.Campers are usually parked somewhere where they can't support their team and they refuse to move up until they get shot by multiple tanks, to put it other way they have zero situational awareness.

LeopardA27 #17 Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13952 battles

View Postb0zel, on 19 February 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

there is no such thing as a good camper

Great guide,thx for posting.

keep up the good work

https://stats-sig.eu/wotblitz/Antitankviking/random/ie/extended/sig.png

b0zel #18 Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:37 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 24400 battles
  • [REDMI]

View Postx_Iskra_x, on 19 February 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

That is why I distinguish between camper and active sniper role in guide.What you are describing is active sniping support tank parked in good position to hit most opposition tanks, or at least stop breaktrough.Campers are usually parked somewhere where they can't support their team and they refuse to move up until they get shot by multiple tanks, to put it other way they have zero situational awareness.

My was bad :(
There are so many countries that can be attacked for defense from USA

BubakGS #19 Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4965 battles
  • [SCRY_]
LOL, great guide, 12 points out of 10 and 10 more for style. Would you allow me to translate it for Czech & Slovak community where we have also plenty of fools or FNGs and especially the young ones who still struggle with English? :child:

Edited by BubakGS, 19 February 2015 - 01:45 PM.

Diplomatic Officer of StopCry!  WoT Blitz CZ-SK clan.

x_Iskra_x #20 Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 21661 battles

View PostBubakGS, on 19 February 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

LOL, great guide, 12 points out of 10 and 10 more for style. Would you allow me to translate it for Czech & Slovak community where we have also plenty of fools or FNGs and especially the young ones who still struggle with English? :child:

Sure , translate away, always happy to help fellow EU tankers.

Also tagged with Role, battlefield, support, scout, brawl, snipe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users