35 replies to this topic

Precariat #21 Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:54 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15257 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostHeliotrope_2016, on 28 April 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

Hello Precariat

I own three - the Matilda Black Prince, the Matilda IV, and the Churchill III.

I bought the above Matildas largely because I really liked playing with the original Tier-4 Matilda.  This original tank can be fitted with a low alpha, high ROF 2pdr gun, or a Derp gun.  Put very simply, if you like the 2pdr Matilda, you'll probably like the Black Prince.  Whilst if you like the derpy version, the Matilda IV should suit you well.

I bought the Churchill III because I was struggling to use non-premium T4/5 heavy tanks.  Which in hindsight was not a good way of spending my money!  The one thing in its favour that I can say as a rather poor heavy tanker is that it generates a lot of crew experience, even when you play it badly.  It has some experience coefficient modifier that I read somewhere was the highest in Blitz?

From looking at your stats though I see you have no experience of playing any Tier-4 vehicle, let alone a Matilda.  I wouldn't like to recommend any of the above though to play now, as you may well struggle due to lack of experience of playing at this level.  Best practice more with the French D1/D2 tanks to see if you're OK driving slow vehicles?  And if you do like them, jump to T4 in either a Matilda, B1, or my personal favourite, the Valentine :)

Regards

Thank you for the info Heliotrope_2016

These are really purchases for the future, just taking advantage of the 50% and if 3.8 makes Blitz not fun to play anymore I'll save nothing by not spending the gold anyway.

My plan is to go from tier II to the Valentine to learn the maps and then go back to playing tier III and onwards.

I have a strange relationship with my D1 low WR but (for me) better than average DR/DPB. Once you get used to the slow speed it's quite fun especially when using HE.

Compare that with the Pz II which I have high WR (65%) but I'm really bad at actually doing any damage with :confused:

I'm having a pretty poor run currently, so I went back to the T18 which I tend to do well in (WR 71% DR 3.31) and use that as my alternate vehicle when I have a string of poor performances.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

Bada__Bing #22 Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8791 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostPrecariat, on 28 April 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Currently the tier III-V premiums are 50% off

Any recommendations on tier V premiums? What is a good purchase? What to avoid?

I currently have over 5k gold to spend so could buy 2 or 3

First of all , good topic and this could run a long time and be useful. Secondly, have you noticed that you are being drawn to the dark side ? After starting with enquiries on tier 3s you are now up to tier 5 ! You are one of very few players that is actually doing the right thing and not rushing. IMHO you'd be better off hanging on to that gold and working hard on your t46. Few tier 3 tanks will give you a better game. I'm not a great player but I know my way around the t46 reasonably well so if you want to platoon it add me. Good luck with your decisions whatever they be.

Precariat #23 Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15257 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostBada__Bing, on 29 April 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

First of all , good topic and this could run a long time and be useful. Secondly, have you noticed that you are being drawn to the dark side ? After starting with enquiries on tier 3s you are now up to tier 5 ! You are one of very few players that is actually doing the right thing and not rushing. IMHO you'd be better off hanging on to that gold and working hard on your t46. Few tier 3 tanks will give you a better game. I'm not a great player but I know my way around the t46 reasonably well so if you want to platoon it add me. Good luck with your decisions whatever they be.

Oh you misunderstand me the tier V are for the future. Do they get such a discount often? I'm still working on tier II. Blitzstars isn't working for me at present but if you can look me up you'll see that.

I got the Valentine II but not used it and won't until I'm done with tier II. I used the Grosstraktor once because I got a tier III mission, I also picked up the S35?. Just in case.

In further news I just got to grips with the Pz II, drive it like you stole it I'm getting kills and increased damage in it now. Had 2 consecutive games where I racked up a combined 1k damage with it. You can really cause chaos amongst the enemy in this tank, I even turned back a 3 tank flanking move ...without dying. It's actually really fun.

The T-46 is fun and I will go back to working on it more when the time comes.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

Winston_Smith84 #24 Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 38787 battles
  • [BRIT6]

View PostPrecariat, on 28 April 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Currently the tier III-V premiums are 50% off

Any recommendations on tier V premiums? What is a good purchase? What to avoid?

I currently have over 5k gold to spend so could buy 2 or 3

Forget a tier v premium tank. Get a dw2 at tier iv. A good tank to train to how to play in a heavy tank. Its the first proper heavy tank in the game. Its got a decent top gun, ok-ish mobility, cheaper to buy than a premium, it will teach you alot about side scraping etc. Played well it can more than hold its own at tier v. Plus it has one of the highest non premium tank credit co-efficients at tier iv too.

Precariat #25 Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15257 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 01 May 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Forget a tier v premium tank. Get a dw2 at tier iv. A good tank to train to how to play in a heavy tank. Its the first proper heavy tank in the game. Its got a decent top gun, ok-ish mobility, cheaper to buy than a premium, it will teach you alot about side scraping etc. Played well it can more than hold its own at tier v. Plus it has one of the highest non premium tank credit co-efficients at tier iv too.

Thank you, I'll need to grind the tank at tier III first though. Yeah probably going to save my remaining gold for the moment.

Winston_Smith84 #26 Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 38787 battles
  • [BRIT6]

View PostPrecariat, on 01 May 2017 - 05:16 PM, said:

Thank you, I'll need to grind the tank at tier III first though. Yeah probably going to save my remaining gold for the moment.

Ah yes the pz iiia precedes the dw. Excellent tank.

Chairman_merpug #27 Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42631 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 02 May 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

All those Germans are great. 

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

Winston_Smith84 #28 Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 38787 battles
  • [BRIT6]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 02 May 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

Yes. The DW2, vk28 and Pz IV s are particular favourites of mine and definitely on my keepers list. Excuse the pun, but the tier v are a bit hit and miss for me. I enjoyed playing the pz iv but i prefer the m4 playstyle and speed and i like the pz iii/iv for its credit coefficient but i have the shinobi. Tier v german tanks don't feel like ones i would keep at that tier.

Edited by Birdistheword15, 02 May 2017 - 10:17 AM.

Precariat #29 Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15257 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 02 May 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

View Postmrpgilbert, on 02 May 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

From what I have seen/watched they are good at side scraping? Do you need to be good at side scraping to get the best from them? I haven't really side scrapped yet, I've angled my front armour in fire fights and got some bounces from it. Oh and moved other than in a straight line while under fire which seemed to cause some misses

Winston_Smith84 #30 Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 38787 battles
  • [BRIT6]

View PostPrecariat, on 02 May 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

From what I have seen/watched they are good at side scraping? Do you need to be good at side scraping to get the best from them? I haven't really side scrapped yet, I've angled my front armour in fire fights and got some bounces from it. Oh and moved other than in a straight line while under fire which seemed to cause some misses

With most german tanks you have to protect the front lower glacis or plate from enemy shots otherwise you will get set on fire. And please please please for gods sake don't show your sides to the enemy or you could get ammo racked. I see tier vi teammates still doing this. Its frustrating to watch. This is basic wotb lesson 1 - do not drive out side on to the enemy. There is an old video by 48ton ruckus on youtube on the kv4 which might act as a good primer on side scraping. I believe Martin Dogger has done one as well. They are on higher tier tanks but the basics are the same regardless of tier. Of course the kv tanks are better at it but thats beside the point.

Edited by Birdistheword15, 02 May 2017 - 10:28 AM.

Precariat #31 Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15257 battles
  • [B-B-B]

As low tier in many tier II battles (or so it seems) I have tried to learn the weak spots on red tier III tanks. You have to unless you are going to fire prammo all day. I fully expect to be low tier in at least half of my tier III battles.

My understanding is a good guide is pointing your gun just inside the right/left track and then slowly pulling back to get the shot, Obviously don't stay exposed any longer than necessary.

Precariat #32 Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15257 battles
  • [B-B-B]
I did pick up the Grosstraktor bundle and the Pz. S35 seemed to good to ignore at 50% off. Both can really dominate, I was driving the S.35 without consumables but the Grosstraktor really needs adrenaline to maximise it's destructive power. I'll be getting these beasts out to do tier III missions (when appropriate) while researching the other tanks

Titus_Scato #33 Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 41828 battles
  • [1RTR]

I did buy the Grosstraktor on a whim.  It is a funny looking tank, but at least it's historical.  (Germany should have sent a couple to fight in the Spanish Civil War - hell of an advance over the Panzer I's they actually sent.)

In Blitz the slow reload is annoying sometimes, but it does aim faster than the Pzkpfw IV Ausf. A with the same 7.5 cm gun.

Precariat #34 Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15257 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 03 May 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

I did buy the Grosstraktor on a whim.  It is a funny looking tank, but at least it's historical.  (Germany should have sent a couple to fight in the Spanish Civil War - hell of an advance over the Panzer I's they actually sent.)

In Blitz the slow reload is annoying sometimes, but it does aim faster than the Pzkpfw IV Ausf. A with the same 7.5 cm gun.

Only driven it twice, the first was wierd on Copperfield with the team running west and by the time I turned around and got there they were all dead, got a couple of hits and died. Second time same map, waited and went with the group, east this time and got 5 kills and 800+ damage iirc.

Pz. S35 on the other hand feels so op, provided you protect the weak lower glacis, which I learned already on a couple of tier II tanks. Good gun, not too slow and quick reload. I only got familiar maps as well so good times. Died once due to stupidity. I've met these tanks in battles but not really worried too much about them :unsure:

I thought premium tanks weren't supposed to be op? Just different and good for grinding exp & credits

Precariat #35 Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15257 battles
  • [B-B-B]

So a follow-up on the Grosstraktor, yes it is a rare beast I haven't seen many. In fact in one battle a friendly T-46 spent too much time looking at me, so when he crested the hill he took the hit and had his gun facing the wrong way. Also amusing when a friendly tries to knock you out of position, it also bounces tanks. Not slow considering it's weight.

With HE as the preferred ammunition you can put the hurt on many TD with open tops without switching ammo, also I do a lot of track/motor damage.

I only started using it consistently recently. Well worth the 600 gold it worked out as costing, excellent vehicle once you figure it out, bounces quite a few shots. Very slow reload so you might want to relocate between shots. For me it's on a par with the Pz. S35 but obviously plays very differently.

I'm using it to grind spare parts for now.

Precariat #36 Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 15257 battles
  • [B-B-B]

While I didn't ask about the latest bundle I did in the end buy it, just a few hours before the offer ended.

I wish this bundle had been available a month ago as it would have been ideal at that point with a premium II, III and IV tank.

The main reson I was on the fence over this one was patch 3.8

By my estimates it takes around 2 days for me to grind enough spare parts to equip a rank 3 part on a tier III tanks using tier IV tanks to do the grinding. I already have 4 premium tanks to equip before I even think about the non-premium ones and had 18 slots to grind, plus another 18 with the new tanks. So at least 72 days worth, probably more as some days I will play less.

So for if/when they are available again here are my first impressions;

Tier II Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f)

The word tank springs to mind, it is a bit like a mini-Matilda. Slow with 40 armour all round and an okay gun. I've gone face to face with an AT-1 and won. It will suck at tier III though as most light tank guns will punch through the armour.

Tier III M22 Locust

This tank perfectly suits my playstyle; fast, good gun, poor armour (pretty much everything can hurt you), however it can be across the map before the enemy can reload. Downside is anyone that knows this tank will want to put shots into you. Live fast die quick.

Tier IV A-32

Described as a medium but it's more like a light; very fast (70 kmh), good damage but poor penetration (66) means you'll want to hit them in the flanks or rear and just avoid Matildas completely, armour is poor so don't hang around. Once I figured it out it's another favourite, make the enemy think there are 8 tanks.

So in the end if you are interested in low tier games these are pretty good at their tier when used correctly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users