GAME MECHANICS FOR THE NEWBIES (because I don't see any topic about this anyway.)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

DerpyMcderp #1 Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 16520 battles
  • [VG]

Welcome, to my guide about game mechanics, just to help you guys new to the game, most if not all mechanics will be mentioned here! 

Number 1: Sixth Sense/spotting

This is usually the first thing a new player sees, sixth sense is a notice to tell you that you have been spotted by an enemy teammate, it appears in the forms of a light bulb and a small "ping" sound. (no, your crew doesn't have a cunning plan), this makes you visible to EVERY enemy team mate. If you are the first person spotted, this usually results in a hailstorm of shells hitting your tank, so if you do get spotted, try and dash to cover so you don't die prematurely. However, sixth sense also lets you know that there are enemy tanks that can see where you are, so you can use that to roughly know what route the enemies have taken.

Number 2Camo

Camo is why you don't get spotted, maximum spotting distance is hindered by camo rating. if you had zero camo rating, you would be spotted instantly by everyone if you're in their maximum spotting distance (how far they can see, NOT DRAW DISTANCE (how far your game can render a tank)) Camo rating is usually affected by size, however, movement and firing your weapon removes some of your camo rating for a small while. For instance, let's take a StuG III G - a very stealthy machine - and put it next to a Maus - the biggest, heaviest tank in the game - if both tanks are right next to each other, you will ALWAYS see the Maus first, because it has a relatively poor camo rating, put the StuG in a bush and tell it not to move or fire, it is nearly invisible because of the bush combined with the excellent camo rating. You can also  purchase camouflage schemes for your tanks, not only do some of these look real cool but they also provide a small buff to camo rating, for heavies, it is 2%, mediums and lights its 3% and for tank destroyers its 4%. Make use of your camo rating in conjunction with bushes in order to not be seen, not being seen means not being shot at, which means not dying immediately.

Side Note: Light Tanks have a special mechanic in which even if they move, they do not lose their camo rating

Number 3: Crew skill

Crew skill is how well your crew know how to work the tank you are currently , the more percentage of crew skill a tank has, the better it will perform, this includes reload speed, repair speed, aiming time, and view distance, these can be boosted by provisions and equipment (improved vent and nation specific food and drink) in battle, if a crew member gets knocked out, their effective crew skill gets set to 0%, , meaning if people like your loader get killed then you have a serious rate of fire loss, if the gunner gets knocked out then your accuracy will be god-awful, also you lose a lot of turret traverse speed which can seriously screw up your day if you didn't bring a med kit or a glorious multipurpose kit, if all your crew get knocked out, you can no longer control your tank as there are no combat-effective crew to take over roles and you are considered dead on the battlefield, just with less explosion

Crew skills are also important, 100% crews can train specific skills for a tank such as negating the negative effects of damaged modules, fire extinguishing speed, module repair speed, hull traverse speed, and more.

Number 4: Module Damage

Modules are what make your tank work, like your engine, tracks, fuel and ammo, if these get hit, they get damaged, or worse, destroyed, if anything gets damaged (turns yellow on the HUD below the health bar) it will work at 50% reliability, with the exception of tracks and view ports, which just tell you that it may break soon, if the engine gets damaged, you slow down to half your top speed and half traverse speed, fuel hit? more likely to be set afire by following shots, gun hit? Your accuracy is severely reduced, ammo?, twice as much reload speed.

Then those modules get destroyed, tracks? You can't move, view ports? You cannot see, gun? You can't shoot, engine? you cannot move, again, fuel? You set alight instantly, Ammo? Instant death, 1 hit kill, game over. The effects of module damage can be greatly reduced by the robustness skill, and repair speed can be increased by the repairs skill and buying a tool kit, overall modules protection can be aided by the protective kit provision.

Number 5: Penetration

Penetration is quite simple, if the penetration number exceeds the armour number, it will penetrate, however, angled and sloped armour increase the effectiveness of the armour and make shells harder to penetrate, the best example is side scraping, where you park behind a building, and reverse until you can see an enemy on the other side, they can only shoot at your very heavily angled side armour, an almost indefinite bounce, since HE and HEAT don’t get normalisation* against armour like AP and APCR/HVAP, they do pretty terribly against angled armour, but it has splash damage, so even if it doesn't penetrate, it can still do this splash damage, if a HE shell doesn't penetrate the armour, it will deal this damage, which is first mitigated by much armour there is where you shot and the area around it, if you shoot at super armoured targets, you will do minimal to no splash damage (e.g, the T95) HEAT ammo is odd, it has great penetration most of the time and doesn't lose any over distance but to counter this it does awful against armour that is spaced in anyway, this means that shooting at the track of a tank with HEAT will likely do nothing but blow the track off, HEAT also explodes on Impact with armour, as it historically heats a piece of copper which essentially melts through  the armour, this means that if it hits an obstacle before it hits the target then the shell explodes unlike AP/APCR rounds and won't hit the target

Summary: Angling makes your armour more effective, HE, while more powerful, has poor penetration, but can still do damage even if it doesn't penetrate, APCR has high penetration, but loses it quicker over distance than AP, and HEAT has best penetration and doesn't lose it over distance, but cannot deal with spaced armour.

*Normalisation is essentially leeway for the shell you're firing, if a tank is angled at 60 degrees, and your shell has 5 degrees of normalisation, then the angle is essentially reduced to 55 degrees against your shell, AP has 5 degrees of normalisation, APCR has 3 degrees, and HE/HEAT doesn't have any. 

Micro-Tip: Autoloaders! 

Autoloaders are tanks that have multiple shots in a clip, they are very common in low tier games (as many tanks there only have 20mm cannons) and some tech tree branches have Autoloaders (Most French high tier tanks have Autoloading guns, and some American high tiers.) at high tiers these tanks have the ability to deal a very high level of damage very quickly, but in compensation their full clip reloads are incredibly long, these are the ultimate peek a boo tanks as a result, unknown to some, there is a way to reload the entire clip before it is completely expended, this is by double-tapping your current ammo selection (on tablet) or pressing the C-key (for PCs), this allows for a player to always deal maximum burst damage instead of dealing only half a clip’s worth.

This was my first guide, let me know what you think? 

Now get out there, tanks won't be blown up by ghosts...

Edited by DerpyMcderp, 20 November 2017 - 02:36 AM.

The only reason that you lost... is that you p***ed me off. 

Master_Forcekin #2 Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5131 battles
  • [XX]

Nice starting information. You could add that crew can go above 100%, and that it is not a direct link to performance (e.g. 75% skill does not reload 25% slower, but rather 13% slower).

More info on crew skill for WoT PC here: http://forum.worldof...-for-beginners/

/the Jedi Master Forcekin formerly known as Myxot

BogyOne #3 Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:50 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 10530 battles
  • [VG]

That's nice guide! Myxot has good idea, I am waiting for someone to explain Crew Skills ratings in Blitz or confirm that they work same as in PC version.

What about adding some info about tanks and equipment pricing (buy/sell price) and discount events? That's another helpful info for new player, how to not sink silvers.

DerpyMcderp #4 Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 16520 battles
  • [VG]
Just going to edit a bit, this time on my laptop c:

DerpyMcderp #5 Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 16520 battles
  • [VG]

View PostMyxot, on 03 December 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

Nice starting information. You could add that crew can go above 100%, and that it is not a direct link to performance (e.g. 75% skill does not reload 25% slower, but rather 13% slower).

More info on crew skill for WoT PC here: http://forum.worldof...-for-beginners/

It is kinda a direct link to performance (I think, this may be wrong, but this is Blitz, not PC), but crew skill doesn't exactly translate, if it did, 100% crews would be so much more OP, 1% crew skill would be a decimal percentage in performance

Ganimoth #6 Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 586 battles
This should get stickied.

aGentleTanker #7 Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

Private

• Player
  • 233 battles

I play WoT a lot and started this game on my phone now.

I just feel confused about crew. When you sell tank you loose crew? Or how does it work?

DerpyMcderp #8 Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 16520 battles
  • [VG]

View PostaGentleTanker, on 09 December 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

I play WoT a lot and started this game on my phone now.

I just feel confused about crew. When you sell tank you loose crew? Or how does it work?

crews remember the tanks they drive, if you sell a tank with 100% crew experience, and then rebuy it, you'll still have 100% crew experience on that tank.

BigBadVuk #9 Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:51 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 50 battles

View PostGanimoth, on 07 December 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

This should get stickied.

SO be it!

DerpyMcderp #10 Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 16520 battles
  • [VG]
Yay, first pin, I feel achieved..

ToastIam #11 Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:01 AM

Private

• Player
  • 266 battles
Can somebody explain how to use better ammo? I can't figure it out

DerpyMcderp #12 Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 16520 battles
  • [VG]

View PostToastIam, on 19 December 2014 - 04:01 AM, said:

Can somebody explain how to use better ammo? I can't figure it out

you buy it on the ammo selection screen in the garage, bear in mind that premium ammo costs gold, but if you press that button it becomes expensive credit bought ammo, just move the sliders around for how many you want.

Oseali #13 Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:02 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6453 battles
Would also recommend people to bring a fire extinguisher, as a part of their equipment, together with the multi kit and repair kit, so that we don't have tracked burning tanks all over the place. I use the multi kit as a crew first aid kit.

Master_Forcekin #14 Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:37 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5131 battles
  • [XX]

I have a premium account, and I usually buy Repair kit, Multi kit and Adrenaline.

For pure module damage I care about I use the repair kit, and if I have important crew knocked out or catch on fire I use the multi kit. Adrenaline is for the tricky situations where the extra shot can make you survive instead of the opponent. :)

/the Jedi Master Forcekin formerly known as Myxot

ToastIam #15 Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 266 battles
It doesn't allow me to do that. I also can't figure out why I can not see replays lol 

Chevoz #16 Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
I don't understand the crew thing with new skills.. Had 778k crew exp so i just keept clicking on every skill and i don't understand what i've even done.... Can someone explain me?

DerpyMcderp #17 Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 16520 battles
  • [VG]

View PostChevoz, on 22 December 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

I don't understand the crew thing with new skills.. Had 778k crew exp so i just keept clicking on every skill and i don't understand what i've even done.... Can someone explain me?

I had a million crew XP on TDs, so I just spent it all on traverse speed, it improves traverse speed, yay.

WiseOldElf #18 Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12872 battles

I see some people playin soviet heavies and different faction meds for example german.DONT!Some of the equipments like guns,engines can be used on different tanks too.Like I start playin my ST-1,so unlocked the best gun for it,and when i bought my IS8 didnt have to use that stock gun.So if you are new to this game spend some time to have a look at the te

chtree too,that will save you some time:)Hope it makes sense:)

Edited by WiseOldElf, 03 February 2015 - 10:57 AM.

themiskin #19 Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 22576 battles
  • [CYMRU]
Where can one find joining a platoon and your rating. Help appreciated

skr3ch69 #20 Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 295 battles
How can I earn GOLD in game ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic