progression

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Precariat #1 Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17826 battles
  • [B-B-B]

Any thoughts on when I should move up a tier (currently at tier II), number of battles at a tier, a minimum number of battles in a particular type of tank?

It took me around 50 battles per tank at tier I to feel I understood the tank, at tier II feels closer to  25-30. I'm about to hit 1500 battles in total about half at tier I 633 at tier II. The battles are mostly enjoyable now.

At tier I I had 100+ battles on each tank. Missions pushed me into tier III yesterday did 6 battles all on the 3 first maps and ended up 2-4 but I was playing new vehicles (75% crews) and without all equipment unlocked.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

Bada__Bing #2 Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8800 battles
  • [B-B-B]
I'd say yes go for it,you've been patient and studious in your approach. I can't get blitzstars up at the moment but everything looks solid enough. If you struggle with TDs half as much as I do ,then remember the American line has an excellent little tier4 which is turreted. I would also recommend continuing with at least one Russian line of your choice. Dw2 will prepare you for heavies so aim for that also. The only below par performance that stands out is your t46 , work on that as it should be a real powerhouse at tier 3. Wait for more replies before forging ahead and weigh up pros and cons but whichever way forward you move I think most will agree you're ready. Good luck!

Precariat #3 Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17826 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostBada__Bing, on 02 May 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

I'd say yes go for it,you've been patient and studious in your approach. I can't get blitzstars up at the moment but everything looks solid enough. If you struggle with TDs half as much as I do ,then remember the American line has an excellent little tier4 which is turreted. I would also recommend continuing with at least one Russian line of your choice. Dw2 will prepare you for heavies so aim for that also. The only below par performance that stands out is your t46 , work on that as it should be a real powerhouse at tier 3. Wait for more replies before forging ahead and weigh up pros and cons but whichever way forward you move I think most will agree you're ready. Good luck!

T-46 I had the new maps along with a new tank I hadn't got to grips with. My time learning on light tanks in tier II will I think help in this regard, I was awful in them got killed quickly and did next to no damage. Then something clicked, I continued to go back to the Pz II and tried different approaches (including on mines a tactic that unless countered usually decided the battle) and finally had some 500+ damage games, right now the tier II lights are my favourite. I think my driving skills simply got better, I stopped crashing into the scenery and was able to flank and get rear shots a lot easier.  I also learned when to run away, something I wasn't really doing in the T-46.

I'm not including the slow heavy armour light tanks in this. They are probably the mock-heavies of tier II.

Before that the TD were my favourite, they are easier to understand and I could be cautious in them and still do acceptable damage. Now I play them for short bursts and move back to lights when I start getting overrun by enemy lights too often. I noticed a plague of BT-7 Art today, players getting ready for 3.8?

Edited by Precariat, 02 May 2017 - 11:52 AM.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

Pururut #4 Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23848 battles

Nep~u nep~u nep~u nep~u nepu nepu nepu NEPU >_<

Pururut always looked at the average damage+winrate of individual tanks before moving up a tier.At 1k battle stage, if you have 50+ wr,averae damage that is equal or more than your tanks hitpoints and feel comfortable with the tank to some extent, then it is time.

Astolfo has the cutest phallus.

Titus_Scato #5 Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42260 battles
  • [RTR]

My advice:

Drive all the Tier 1 tanks in the game, fully research them, then sell them.

Drive all the Tier 2 tanks in the game, fully research them, then sell them.

Drive all the Tier 3 tanks in the game, fully research them, then sell them.

Drive all the Tier 4 tanks in the game, fully research them, then sell them.

Drive all the Tier 5 tanks in the game, fully research them, then sell them.

Once you've done all that, you'll know what kind of tanks you like, and how to play them.  The Tier 5 tanks are a great showcase of what to expect in higher tiers.  Now you're ready to choose which lines to take to Tier 10.

Edited by Titus_Scato, 02 May 2017 - 01:34 PM.

Precariat #6 Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:11 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17826 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 02 May 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

My advice:

Drive all the Tier 1 tanks in the game, fully research them, then sell them.

Drive all the Tier 2 tanks in the game, fully research them, then sell them.

Drive all the Tier 3 tanks in the game, fully research them, then sell them.

Drive all the Tier 4 tanks in the game, fully research them, then sell them.

Drive all the Tier 5 tanks in the game, fully research them, then sell them.

Once you've done all that, you'll know what kind of tanks you like, and how to play them.  The Tier 5 tanks are a great showcase of what to expect in higher tiers.  Now you're ready to choose which lines to take to Tier 10.

I am a slow learner, if I did that I'd been one of those noobs getting seal clubbed and harassed in chat (if it worked) at tiers VI+.

Precariat #7 Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17826 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostPururut, on 02 May 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

Nep~u nep~u nep~u nep~u nepu nepu nepu NEPU >_<

Pururut always looked at the average damage+winrate of individual tanks before moving up a tier.At 1k battle stage, if you have 50+ wr,averae damage that is equal or more than your tanks hitpoints and feel comfortable with the tank to some extent, then it is time.

Sounds like sound advice, some tanks I struggled with. Never got the Lichtraktor to 50% WR (seemed to sit between 44-48% no matter how many battles). Just D1 and UC 2pdr below 50% at tier II so that should be possible.

Edit: All tier II at 50%+ now, going to spend an hour each day researching tier III tanks.

Edited by Precariat, 03 May 2017 - 11:25 AM.

HariKariGaryNeedsaCarry #8 Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24065 battles
  • [OLD]

Good advice is generally when you have a good 4 or 5 tanks at over 50% win rate in your top tier, as in at tier three, you are more or less ready to move up to the next tier.

At tier 4 look at DW2 for heavies and PZ4D for meds as both are great tanks. Also if you can get to grips with the T46 at tier three with the autoloader, the A20 at tier 4 and Covenanter are both great little tanks. Luchs is also a favourite of many but I prefer the other 2. 

Tier 5 is just a great tier for choice of tanks, KV1 and T1 for heavies, M4, T34 for meds are good solids ones and the Littlepard aka Leopard is great fun once you master driving lights. 

Dont be quick to move up to tier 6 though as that's when things start getting tougher. I use tier 5 (Shinobi) and tier 6 (victory) to Grind for credits, so you will often come up against players with a lot more experience from tier 5 and up, may even see lots at tiers 3 and 4 after recent update.  Can't advise on TDs as I'm useless with them but really with the changes in the game recently, TDs are being put under pressure and are often outperformed and outmanoeuvred by lights and meds. 

Add me in game, happy to toon or go into training room with you and see how we go/help if you need it. 

Edited by HariKariGaryNeedsaCarry, 08 May 2017 - 06:26 AM.

harikarigaryneedsacarry_snowjag_eng.jpeg

Precariat #9 Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17826 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostHariKariGaryNeedsaCarry, on 08 May 2017 - 06:24 AM, said:

Good advice is generally when you have a good 4 or 5 tanks at over 50% win rate in your top tier, as in at tier three, you are more or less ready to move up to the next tier.

At tier 4 look at DW2 for heavies and PZ4D for meds as both are great tanks. Also if you can get to grips with the T46 at tier three with the autoloader, the A20 at tier 4 and Covenanter are both great little tanks. Luchs is also a favourite of many but I prefer the other 2. 

Tier 5 is just a great tier for choice of tanks, KV1 and T1 for heavies, M4, T34 for meds are good solids ones and the Littlepard aka Leopard is great fun once you master driving lights. 

Dont be quick to move up to tier 6 though as that's when things start getting tougher. I use tier 5 (Shinobi) and tier 6 (victory) to Grind for credits, so you will often come up against players with a lot more experience from tier 5 and up, may even see lots at tiers 3 and 4 after recent update.  Can't advise on TDs as I'm useless with them but really with the changes in the game recently, TDs are being put under pressure and are often outperformed and outmanoeuvred by lights and meds. 

Add me in game, happy to toon or go into training room with you and see how we go/help if you need it. 

Thank you for the advice.

I popped up to tier IV in reaction to 3.8 (176 battles mainly on lights) the Covenanter is a new favourite, although a bit slower than the other lights it's gun can pump out some nice damage before you disappear again. I also do quite well with the Stuart although it's pop-gun is not much fun against tanks with +5% armour, think I get a lot of assisted damage on that one.

Having got that out of my system, I dropped back to tier II to start getting a few tanks up to 100 battles, before going back to tier III. My journey up to tier IV at least got me familiar with the new maps so they are no longer scary. I'll make sure to try and get proficient on the autoloader T-46 with my better map awareness.

That will probably be the pattern in future, get familiar with some tanks at the next tier then drop back down to a lower tier and get some up to 100+ battles, I got a few premiums but only play them if I need to grind credits at the moment.

My only experience in tier V was on the premium SU-85I (3 battles) and I probably was able to avoid being low tier on that one because it was a new tier.

Edited by Precariat, 19 May 2017 - 09:02 AM.

sixty_three #10 Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12321 battles

View PostPrecariat, on 19 May 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Thank you for the advice.

I popped up to tier IV in reaction to 3.8 (176 battles mainly on lights) the Covenanter is a new favourite, although a bit slower than the other lights it's gun can pump out some nice damage before you disappear again. I also do quite well with the Stuart although it's pop-gun is not much fun against tanks with +5% armour, think I get a lot of assisted damage on that one.

Hello Precariat,

I've been following this thread with some interest.  I've no experience of the Stuart, hence my in-game query. The only thing I could say here is when you are thinking of buying a new tank, do consider the cost of purchasing the "Regimental School" crew training upgrade.

That's the one that increases your crew skills from 50% to 75%.  I'd highly recommend this upgrade the first time you jump up to T-5.

Regards

One of life’s challenges — knowing enough to think you are right, but not enough to know that you are wrong.

FortyThieves #11 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23863 battles
  • [N2KU]

View Postsixty_three, on 19 May 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Hello Precariat,

I've been following this thread with some interest.  I've no experience of the Stuart, hence my in-game query. The only thing I could say here is when you are thinking of buying a new tank, do consider the cost of purchasing the "Regimental School" crew training upgrade.

That's the one that increases your crew skills from 50% to 75%.  I'd highly recommend this upgrade the first time you jump up to T-5.

Regards

This is 100% correct, NEVER EVER play thanks on 50% crew, even if it is tier 2, (tier 1 cant get 75% crews)

Tier X- T110E5-Leopard 1-FV4202-Object 140-IS7-E50M-T57 Heavy-T110E4

Stats- https://www.blitzsta...eu/FortyThieves

Precariat #12 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17826 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View Postsixty_three, on 19 May 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Hello Precariat,

Regards

It's an automatic purchase for me and I take the cost into account before I buy the tank, i.e. all the provisions, equipment slots etc.

But thank you for mentioning it, a lot of information is hidden in the game. I've also taken to using the crew experience boosters to speed up getting them to 100%. I haven't had to buy any yet but I expect I will as I add more tanks.

N00basaurus #13 Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:47 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5509 battles
  • [ALBA]

When to move upwards? Well, it depends.

What I will say, though, is don't waste too much time in tier 1. The tanks are crap and the teams are awful. Plus after a while you start encountering tier 2 seal clubbers in Cruiser III, Ha-Go, Chi-Ni or that annoying 38H. I'd say 25-ish battles per each tier 1 are enough. It's at tier 2 where things get more interesting.

One more thing: once you hit tier 3, stay there a while and grind your crew skills to level 1 (well, except for the heavy line since there's only the Gross Tractor; that's a prem, and not a phenomenally great one). Most people ignore them until tiers 5/6, but they do make a difference from level 3 upwards (level 3 in all skills is roughly equivalent to an extra free set of standard rations), and obviously they stack with equipment and provisions.

Edited by N00basaurus, 20 May 2017 - 01:48 AM.

Female crew voicepacks please.

(Re)classify the AMX CDC as a Tank Destroyer.

Precariat #14 Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:14 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17826 battles
  • [B-B-B]

I spent 796 battles in tier I I did however move to tier III as soon as I researched all the tier II tanks and then went back to tier I because I was so bad at that tier III. Maybe I'm a slow learner? 

A lot of battles will be against higher tier opponents at each tier, in my experience. I got used to it, it encourages side/rear shots and better use of cover.

I found it useful and while there are many inexperienced players there I still find "bad" teams at tier IV. By bad I am talking about teams that loose 3-4 tanks in 2-3 minutes, usually by damage trading in a head on charge at the enemy along with fast tanks that camp near the spawn for half the game. Sometimes 1 tank can tie down 3-4 tanks by not presenting a target, time for your team to flank them.

I've also seen very smart play in the lower tiers. I observe and I learn from it.

Which leads me to this nugget

Player: Group

Player: Please Group all

note: no other direction is given and as all tanks spawned in a group nobody moved for the the first 30 seconds or so eventually 2 of us did go to find the enemy and then fell back

about 4-5 minutes later

Player: Idiots!

note: Group is not a strategy without a direction for the group

The biggest downside to tier I/II is the maps often make flanking more difficult than on the maps unlocked at tier IV. It's possible but you have to pay good attention to the mini map and look for the opportunity to present itself.

MarsIsBrightTonight #15 Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 38571 battles
  • [OBB]

View PostPrecariat, on 19 May 2017 - 09:01

Having got that out of my system, I dropped back to tier II to start getting a few tanks up to 100 battles, before going back to tier III. My journey up to tier IV at least got me familiar with the new maps so they are no longer scary. I'll make sure to try and get proficient on the autoloader T-46 with my better map awareness.

You can practice on any map you want in the training room. Set up a training room with the map you want to research, drive around, get the feel for the layout, learn which paths lead you from point A to point B with minimal exposure.

This way you won 't find yourself atop the list in Vineyards and typing, "Not leading - I've never ever seen this map"... As happened to me...

Precariat #16 Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17826 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostMarsIsBrightTonight, on 20 May 2017 - 06:19 AM, said:

You can practice on any map you want in the training room. Set up a training room with the map you want to research, drive around, get the feel for the layout, learn which paths lead you from point A to point B with minimal exposure.

This way you won 't find yourself atop the list in Vineyards and typing, "Not leading - I've never ever seen this map"... As happened to me...

I did drive a few training room maps but I wanted to know where teams tend to go. Some Youtubers also do a few map guides or will pass on map tips during replays as well. Sometimes you find a good spot by accident in a battle, recently happened on Castilla in my M5 Stuart (1.3k damage & 3 kills) but eventually the reds will get wise to these spots as well.

My learning process for the new (to me) maps was "inspired" by 3.8 (more battles more spare parts).

I bought light tanks at tier IV and started by charging directly for the red spawn points, sometimes I even got a kill. After doing this quite a few times I started to discover the less exposed approach routes, my approach would begin to involve halts in cover. This then led to me appearing in the rear of damaged enemy tanks (or finding an isolated TD) and suddenly I understood the maps better. I ran into the terrain less often and could use terrain much better when "bugging out"

Yes I died every time (well 90% of the time) at first, I would literally rush behind the first enemy and unload my auto-cannon into their side/rear at almost point-blank range (sometimes I even managed to fire a second clip). However that did get old after a while (my WR was around 50% doing this surprisingly) so I scouted more and charged less. I would recommend light tanks for learning new maps very strongly, as your gun (usually) has low pen it is less useful when in front of the reds anyway.

Just_merpug #17 Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 58294 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostPrecariat, on 20 May 2017 - 06:14 AM, said:

I spent 796 battles in tier I I did however move to tier III as soon as I researched all the tier II tanks and then went back to tier I because I was so bad at that tier III. Maybe I'm a slow learner? 

A lot of battles will be against higher tier opponents at each tier, in my experience. I got used to it, it encourages side/rear shots and better use of cover.

I found it useful and while there are many inexperienced players there I still find "bad" teams at tier IV. By bad I am talking about teams that loose 3-4 tanks in 2-3 minutes, usually by damage trading in a head on charge at the enemy along with fast tanks that camp near the spawn for half the game. Sometimes 1 tank can tie down 3-4 tanks by not presenting a target, time for your team to flank them.

I've also seen very smart play in the lower tiers. I observe and I learn from it.

Which leads me to this nugget

Player: Group

Player: Please Group all

note: no other direction is given and as all tanks spawned in a group nobody moved for the the first 30 seconds or so eventually 2 of us did go to find the enemy and then fell back

about 4-5 minutes later

Player: Idiots!

note: Group is not a strategy without a direction for the group

The biggest downside to tier I/II is the maps often make flanking more difficult than on the maps unlocked at tier IV. It's possible but you have to pay good attention to the mini map and look for the opportunity to present itself.

The "Group" thing still happens in tier VII. 

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

Elmo_Chipshop #18 Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23353 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 20 May 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

The "Group" thing still happens in tier VII. 

I even saw the Lone Ranger yesterday in tier 9 in a heavy. Yep a quick tank spotting up the enemy is great but sometimes they make you wonder. We won 7-1 but you can all guess who came unstuck can't you. Looked at his stats and he was upto tier 10 with 2000 games. So he had raced through and clearly should have been plying his trade in tier 5 still. Yep converting XP can be a good thing to fully equip your tank and make it competitive but to race through tiers is crazy. I have just short of 7000 games and I still have hoodles to learn so therefore is the explanation why I have no tier 10 yet.

Edited by VonPottypoop, 20 May 2017 - 10:14 AM.

bladefury_1 #19 Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2495 battles
Yep....this was me when I first started playing the game,didn't realise blitz had the following it's got,to me it was drive as many different tanks as I could get.. the stronger the better,,,I got to tiger1 before I found the forum and you tube vids,,I've now seen the light instead of the usual noob tier rush (luckily I stopped before tier 10,,Lol..),,,I've sold most of the heavier (higher tier tanks) and dropped back down to levels 1 to 3 with the odd excursion into 4 and 5,hopefully I'm getting better,,,quite strong in some tanks not so in others...good games then idiot games,I try to digest and learn from my mistakes but I admit it can be a slow learning curve,,I tend to suffer from tunnel vision a lot concentrating on one enemy instead of watching the map...i feel pleased with my self,then ....boom....youve done it again clown.. lol... I'm still a noob/New player,2k battles,poor wr% overall,my excuse for that is my earlier excursions up in the higher levels b4 I was reborn..lol... hopefully I'll get there sooner or later.. reading experienced players posts and watching the vids/studying maps and tactics and such has been a massive help...cheers for that fella's...
As an aside it's sad to see many experienced players leaving but I understand their reasons for doing so... I've only played 3.7 and now this latest 3.8... I must admit I thought the compensation values would be more than the ones given out....how can a company charge you twice for something you've already bought and paid for... the legal side of that has to be clouded to say the least...but who am I to voice my opinion when many more experienced players can't influence the powers that be... I'd sack it myself but it is now a challenge to get better....
Once again fella's keep the advice coming it's much appreciated...

bladefury_1 #20 Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2495 battles
A question I meant to ask what's the difference between wn8 and wn7 on blitz stats???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users