Map Advice for Newbies in just a few words.

maps

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Precariat #21 Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 12232 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostRokuro_Okajima, on 08 May 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

Giving directions can be an important aspect of the game. Positive and Negative. Ideally the guy with best line-up reading capability should do this. Disputing left/right usually fails. When you think, you are maybe not the most knowledgeable tanker, wait a second before you post a direction. Try remember who the good players are or to which clan they belong and stick to their commands. Often when I am lowtier and maybe not the most important part of the team I ask "where" to go.

I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference who gives the "advice" if you don't have players willing to take advice. Often at least one will go off and do whatever, usually getting killed quickly. Combine that with often one sitting in spawn and you're 2 tanks down if the reds didn't have the same problem. Maybe if there was some indicator it would carry more weight, also on EU player often don't understand what the advice is. Anything more than "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<" or ">>>>>>>>>>>>" can be difficult to follow.

I'm fine with following advice, but seems I'm in the minority.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

Rokuro_Okajima #22 Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 59608 battles
  • [UTB]
This is a general problem. Same as afk etc. Good players might even adjust their commands upon notice of such behaviour.

MarsIsBrightTonight #23 Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:34 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20236 battles
  • [OBB]

View PostN00basaurus, on 07 May 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

Yeah, I've seen people barrel down through the village keeping close to the hill. Can work if you know all the good cover positions, but you need at least two more from the team coming with you. EDIT: Oh, and you also need to be in a nimble heavy or heavium. Too light and they'll smash you, too slow and they'll run away.

I just did this in a PzB2 (I was the only heavy in both teams). Called "beach" at the start, then headed straight to red spawn amid calls of "omg B2 noob he's gonna die". I did die... after inflicting 887 dmg and taking out two reds. The game was a neat win, 7-2. Worth trying, thanks for the heads up.

"Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something." (Wilson Mizner, US playwriter, 1876-1933)

Precariat #24 Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 12232 battles
  • [B-B-B]

For those maps I didn't get any advice for I found doing kamikaze runs in a light tank helped with learning team tendencies, I then started moving my tank to ambush positions for those maps in later battles. The way the current update works (3.8) losing your tank early has the advantage of another chance for spare parts and it didn't seem to effect the outcome of the battle particularly (at tier III).

Heading to the opposite (enemy) corner often worked but being a little cautious as I went so I could "bug out" if I ran into a large group of enemy. There is always the possibility you get tracked and focused however. I like to vary my approach as well, sometimes scouting the green open flank, other times scouting just a short distance ahead.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

Birdistheword15 #25 Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37109 battles
  • [BRIT6]

View PostPrecariat, on 06 May 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

What advice for a player unfamiliar with the map would you type in the chat box at the start of a battle (i.e. short and to the point)?

I found this advice from the forums, not sure how useful it is as I have just started on tier III battles so get new maps around 30% of the time. I do feel I have at least some of idea of what I might do to avoid just being a random target though.

• Rockfield : Go to the Radio Antenna / Bunkers
  • Oasis Palms: Go to the Desert SW/City
  • Yamato Port: Mediums go to Green area, Heavies go to ship
  • Black Goldville: Mediums go to caves, Heavies go to plant
  • Canal: Go to Hills  Mediums SE (Train) / Heavies go to NW (Rocks)
  • Castilla: Mediums Bridges/Castle,  Heavies Windmill.
  • Desert Sands: Mediums west of the town, Heavies go to Town
  • Dead Rail: Take Hill
  • Middleburg: Take Hill
  • Vineyards: Go to Ruins
  • Himmelsdorf: Mediums go to the railway and Heavies the opposite side
  • Falls Creek: Area West of the Base?
  • Mirage: Heavies go to the waterfall and Mediums go towards the sea 
  • Winter Malinkova: ????

Updated: See edit date

There are obviously more maps to understand but haven't found tips (or didn't understand the tip) 

Oh! And while we are about it. Why do people on Mines insist on going to the west hill / river area? Most often this results in a loss and the flankers are either destroyed quickly or play no real part in the battle?

Is splitting the team wise? Black Goldville, for example, lost count of the times meds have gone caves and heavies go plant and 1) Heavies take too long by which time the meds flounder in the caves and heavies get picked off when they sloooooooowly come to the 'rescue'; and 2) Heavies get destroyed in the plant after being overwhelmed by the reds.

Precariat #26 Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 12232 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 23 May 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

Is splitting the team wise? Black Goldville, for example, lost count of the times meds have gone caves and heavies go plant and 1) Heavies take too long by which time the meds flounder in the caves and heavies get picked off when they sloooooooowly come to the 'rescue'; and 2) Heavies get destroyed in the plant after being overwhelmed by the reds.

You could well be correct in this, I've played this map a few times now. Often there seems to be a damage trading fight near the caves and as you say by the time slow tanks have flanked it is often all over. Some strategies (on various maps) actually require some patience and that is rare in the battles I see. It's either all out rush or camping near the spawn point.

Also never underestimate ambushing following the regular routes, doing the unexpected has it's place although it is not without risk.

Blue_Snail #27 Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4457 battles

Although I am experienced in WoT, as you can see, I am very new here.

I quickly joined a clan and yesterday I platooned with a guy, who started coaching me on the maps.

The fastest way to learn is to hang out with players more experienced than yourself.

So for newbies, I think the best approach is to get into a friendly clan and be willing to experience the humbling experience of learning from more experienced players.

I have mentored a few people in the past.  So I also recognize that some people really don't want to learn from more experienced players.  Those folks I just leave alone so they can learn the hard and slow way.

PS: Lots of nice folks here in Blitz.

Precariat #28 Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 12232 battles
  • [B-B-B]
So I just stepped up to tier VI recently, just putting in an hour each day and I'm still baffled by Canyon. Is there a Heavy/TD side or does it make little difference?

Chairman_merpug #29 Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34194 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostPrecariat, on 22 January 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

So I just stepped up to tier VI recently, just putting in an hour each day and I'm still baffled by Canyon. Is there a Heavy/TD side or does it make little difference?

What makes a difference is having a med or light with gun depression going to the B cap position and spotting for you. However, when I try to do this, I frequently find the lemming train dogging my heels. Either side works, plenty of cover and bumps.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

Precariat #30 Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 12232 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 22 January 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

What makes a difference is having a med or light with gun depression going to the B cap position and spotting for you. However, when I try to do this, I frequently find the lemming train dogging my heels. Either side works, plenty of cover and bumps.

Okay, thanks for the info. Just seen it a few times and others in my team also ask which side and I'm sure you know there is often no answer just players waiting for someone to take point.

superschnitzelkoenig #31 Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42114 battles
  • [RA1D]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 22 January 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

There should always be 1-2 tanks in the middle. For the rest I've discovered as a general rule: if you spawn in the southeastern spawn, go to the southwest. If you spawn in the northwest move to the northeast. The reason for that? Because these are the ways where you are much harder to hit from enemies who are at the middle spot (B). This is especially true when spawning at the north spawn: A tank at the middle will have a lot of lovely shots while you cross the railway in the middle. Of course there are exceptions but as a general rule: Middle or stay in your hemisphere. :teethhappy:

Stop Complaining...           ...Carry Harder!

Also tagged with maps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users