Dealing with a losing streak

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Precariat #1 Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 7514 battles
  • [B-B-B]

I get a slightly discouraged when I encounter a losing streak (for me 5+ defeats in a row), I know they can be quite a bit longer than that but once I reach 4-5 it seems to carry on and on. It is annoying because I can play well and still lose, as in good damage/exp on the score board and can't really breakout of it.

I end up either, taking a break for 30-90 minutes or trying different tanks / tiers until I get a few wins in a row. I don't think I suddenly get bad in the tank I am playing. so for example had a good run in the S35 (it was 10th on my WR list, got it up to eighth) went 8-2 then suddenly 4 losses in a row (back to 10th). Bad teams? I don't really know. Came back later and ran off another 4 straight wins. It wasn't to do with tiers as I can win even when low tier against mainly higher tier.

So my question is how long a losing streak does it take for people to take action? And what action do they take?

What WR is okay for an average type like me? 

I seem top hover around the 52% mark, have trouble going above 52.5% but can have streaks where I win 8 out of 10. It is easy to blame "the team" but forget when I get carried. Is something like WIN8 a better indicator for me to use?

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the game, but it all seems a bit random at times. Not really a lot of great tools to help teamwork as by the time I type a suggestion the moment has gone.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

Settler77 #2 Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17893 battles
  • [-MEN-]

I does it the same, take a break, change tanks, or tiers, from my experience from the beginning i was improving my WR started 51% on 600games. but this improvement comes in waves, sometimes I win every game no matter what is my influence, and than I cant win even with heroic performance, I lost my trust about personal influence on WR long time ago. So I suggest play when you are winning, break if you are loosing and if you will get several days loosing streak it should change soon or later, it always did for me. Good luck

try to find an article about TILT effect on this forum its helpful!

Edited by Settler77, 19 June 2017 - 09:37 AM.

Tijgerhaai_XIV #3 Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 5848 battles
  • [ALBA]

It is pretty random. Team composition varies, player performance varies, each individual player following their own tactic and influencing and being influenced by each of the other 13 players in the battle...

A lot of the game is inside your head. For example I seemed to stick at 56% WR, unable to get above without falling down again, when previously my 30 day WR was at 65-70%. It seemed to take an enormous effort to get over the threshold. Now the same is happening at 57%. But it is all in my head - challenging grinds, playing dumb, being too aggressive, not watching mini-map - these things effect your ability to win, not some algorithm based on arbitrary WR percentiles. The whole point is that you win some, you lose some. When the dust settles, your skill will determine over a lot battles what your WR is. Freaking out about 0.1 % or what happens in one session, statistically is non-sense. Totally meaningless.

I try to stay fresh, pretty easy as a casual really :). Also I try to stop getting het up about WR. I'm not playing to win. The idea that I am improving is nice, that I am challenging other players and more often coming out on top is a great one. But I am playing for fun, and if paying too much attention WR robs me of that what is the point? You can lose and have fun. Try your best, try to get the most out of your tank, try to help the greens as much as possible. That is fun for me - and I can keep doing that even when in the worst of losing streaks (which I think for me was pretty recent - 6 defeats in Glacial, then 6 in the CGC and then 3 in the Hellcat (which though I am not very good in, I find to be a very reliable tank)).

I just for example got left by my team alone in my T-40 and somehow out-brawled a Luchs and BT-7 Art. Now my team could have lost or won the rest of the battle while this was going on and it was still an adrenaline rush with a rewarding ending. To allow that to be ruined by the final outcome of the battle seems silly to me.

Also, win the mental battle and things do go better. if you predict everything will go badly you are not going to make the correct choices in battle, imho.

So to deal with losing streaks I would recommend changing tier/type/tank - take frequent breaks - stop caring about them - find in the fun in the game, not the outcome. Do this and I genuinely think you will have losing streaks less often as well as that they won't bother you as much.

Precariat #4 Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 7514 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostSettler77, on 19 June 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

I does it the same, take a break, change tanks, or tiers, from my experience from the beginning i was improving my WR started 51% on 600games. but this improvement comes in waves, sometimes I win every game no matter what is my influence, and than I cant win even with heroic performance, I lost my trust about personal influence on WR long time ago. So I suggest play when you are winning, break if you are loosing and if you will get several days loosing streak it should change soon or later, it always did for me. Good luck

try to find an article about TILT effect on this forum its helpful!

I found a post on the World of Tanks forum, is this the one?

http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/17678-being-on-tilt-in-world-of-tanks/

@Tijgerhaai_XIV

I try not obsess about it, but what metric is a good indicator that I am getting better (or at least not worse?) I have tanks with high WIN8 but awful WR so it's difficult to tell if I suck or not. I try to take some positives even if I'm on a losing streak. I have been playing the S.35 a lot to see if I can at least push the WR on this to 60%, it's two steps forward one step back atm.

I take breaks even if I'm on a winning streak. I tend to play 4-6 battles each time.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

Tijgerhaai_XIV #5 Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 5848 battles
  • [ALBA]
Personally I think the term 'push' worrying. It implies chasing WR, which I think is counterproductive. Better, imho, to set yourself a battle count to aim for and see how your stats shape up. WN8 is a good metric, but simply looking at your stats in general will show you if you are improving.

WR is fickle. You need 400 battles to be statistically relevant to +/- 5%, 10,000 for 1% and that implies a constant unchanging environment.

So don't sweat it. Concentrate on your survivability, damage and spots, and your WR will eventually take care of itself.

sixty_three #6 Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 6952 battles

Here's a well written TILT article from the NA forum:

http://forum.wotblit...-being-on-tilt/

Hope it helps.

Edit: Appears to be a duplicate of the link you've already submitted

Edited by sixty_three, 19 June 2017 - 03:02 PM.

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

Blue_Snail #7 Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4286 battles
  • [EMRS]

Often I will just leave for a while.

Take a shower.  Read a good book, like The Life and Times of Godzilla.

Play My Little Pony or go online to engage in a Care Bear Hugging Tournament,  hehe

Bada__Bing #8 Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5752 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostBlue_Snail, on 20 June 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

Often I will just leave for a while.

Take a shower.  Read a good book, like The Life and Times of Godzilla.

Play My Little Pony or go online to engage in a Care Bear Hugging Tournament,  hehe

Can I use my blitz tournament tickets for the care bear tournaments?

IrmaBecx #9 Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 17478 battles
  • [IRMA]

The good news is, the longer you play, the less you will care about losing streaks. With more games under your belt, a few losses will make less and less of a difference to your overall stats. Also the better you get and the more you understand about the game, the better you will be at evalusting your own performance.

And in the end, that's all you can do. Blaming the team is a dead end, even if it happens to be true. Take a cue from Quickybaby instead, and ask yourself what you could have done differently after every defeat. That way you'll at least have the opportunity to learn something, instead of just having lost again.

You'll also get better at recognising a losing streak for what it is. Anyone can lose a few in a row, but you'll quickly notice if you are in fact off your game, preoccupied, or just not feeling it that day, and so you can take some kind of action quicker.

Also don't worry about your winrate. You know the actual average WR of all players is slightly less than 50%, right? 52% average is really good, that means you consistently make a contribution to your team in battle.

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

mrpgilbert #10 Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27112 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 20 June 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

The good news is, the longer you play, the less you will care about losing streaks. With more games under your belt, a few losses will make less and less of a difference to your overall stats. Also the better you get and the more you understand about the game, the better you will be at evalusting your own performance.

And in the end, that's all you can do. Blaming the team is a dead end, even if it happens to be true. Take a cue from Quickybaby instead, and ask yourself what you could have done differently after every defeat. That way you'll at least have the opportunity to learn something, instead of just having lost again.

You'll also get better at recognising a losing streak for what it is. Anyone can lose a few in a row, but you'll quickly notice if you are in fact off your game, preoccupied, or just not feeling it that day, and so you can take some kind of action quicker.

Also don't worry about your winrate. You know the actual average WR of all players is slightly less than 50%, right? 52% average is really good, that means you consistently make a contribution to your team in battle.

Stop being reasonable, Irma, people will get angry at you. :trollface:

And add to the reasons for losing "herself is asking questions about which toilet we should have for the bathroom refit" :facepalm:

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

IrmaBecx #11 Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 17478 battles
  • [IRMA]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 20 June 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

Stop being reasonable, Irma, people will get angry at you. :trollface:

And add to the reasons for losing "herself is asking questions about which toilet we should have for the bathroom refit" :facepalm:

I have to keep telling myself this stuff so I don't cry myself to sleep with some of these teams... :)

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

CreamyWhip #12 Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23576 battles
  • [WPS]

View PostPrecariat, on 19 June 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the game, but it all seems a bit random at times. Not really a lot of great tools to help teamwork as by the time I type a suggestion the moment has gone.

If I'm playing badly, I stop playing, whether I'm winning or losing. No sport

If I'm on losing teams that generally put up a decent fight I keep playing.

If I've effectively been playing against seven Reds on my own, and there's no mistaking when that's going on, for three defeats in a row I drop to a Tier III/IV clubber. If I'm already at Tier III/IV I switch to one of my nephews' or overseas accounts.

'Tilting' can happen, for sure, but if you start believing that can explain eight, nine, ten straight losses when you've been playing your heart out you've been gaslit good.

Edited by CreamyWhip, 20 June 2017 - 11:52 PM.

Titus_Scato #13 Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 33258 battles
  • [1RTR]

Tip for dealing with a losing streak - your own frustration is causing you to make mistakes.

So drive an idiot proof tank for a while.  One that doesn't need clever tactics, and is very forgiving of mistakes.  

What's an idiot proof tank?  Something like a Matilda or an AT 2.  Pick a flank, drive forward aggressively, find a red, aim, shoot, wiggle your front while reloading to bounce return fire, repeat.  It doesn't get any simpler.  Your armour will protect you from almost anything the reds can throw at you as long as you keep the front armour forward and wiggle.  As long as your team protect your flanks and rear, you can't go wrong.

Edited by Titus_Scato, 21 June 2017 - 02:59 PM.

LoadAimFireRun #14 Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 22138 battles
  • [-ROP-]

Well proven remedies:

- Change tier

- Take a rest / break or make coffee (slow ..  take your time)

- Go platoon for a couple of games

- Completely change play style (from the spotting hero that dies in 45 seconds to passive unicum camper sniping/farming mode); this can really help.

- Change game

- Quit alltogether and join a tanking rehab program.

Precariat #15 Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 7514 battles
  • [B-B-B]

For now I'm driving whatever tank at my current tier (III) that is just below my 30 day WR. Seems to be working, I'm also just playing enough to complete the missions (been 12 battles last couple of days).

Wish we had a key that allowed me to say "Thank You" when a team mate has saved my butt. I still try to offer advice once dead, but I do stick around for the battle to finish and stick to 1 tank for the session. If one person takes notice in a session then it's worth it. 

My current gripe is on Copperfield teams not trying to at least hold both flanks and I end up spaming "Help" until someone helps me out in this regard.

Held the "Heavy" flank in a T82 today, with such little armour I was amazed I was able to hold off the reds until help arrived. I ended up with no damage taken 4 kills and 800+ damage done and finally got the last light tank kill I needed to complete the last mission.

DerkaDerkaMohammedJih4d #16 Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8232 battles
  • [-TG-]

Snagglepusses never lose they only let the others win!
So if I lose some games in a row I'm just having a good day and being friendly to you guys.

Edited by snagglepuss, 28 June 2017 - 10:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users