Equipment and spare parts - I understand why WG did what they did...

spare parts equipment

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Peddy_tanj_it #21 Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 54013 battles
  • [TANG]

The introduction of the spare parts in 3.8 changed the economics of the game.

prior to 3.8 you had effectively 3 currencies. 

1. Gold either bought for with real world money or very occasionally a hard mission would give you some. 

2. SIlver used to buy equipment and consumables and new tanks. Earned by fighting and doing damage or possibly by using gold to get silver. 

3. Experience ( grouped crew and free XP in with this) earned by fighting etc. 

To progress up the tech tree you needed to earn XP and silver to unlock upgrade to tanks using the XP and eventually gain access to the next level so you could then buy the tanks for silver. 

Silver for me was a limiting factor as one of my long term goals was to own all the tanks in the tech tree and work the crew skill to 100% 

running a tank (for me at tier X) I did not quite break even in the silver department so would quite often drop down to tier 8 and use my IS6 which was a nice silver generator. 

Along came 3.8 and the (@@@@@. @@@@. Pile of @@@@<self edit> insert own 3 minute rant here).

Now we have 4 currencies. The original 3. The new one being spare parts. So to now equip the tanks I have in my garage back to full equipment I guessed would take around 4 years..... I am not going to be buying new tier X tanks until I have at least equipped my favourite tanks as using a less than fully equipped tier X in tier X battle is really painful and you are usually running at a big disadvantage. Tier X I find is very unforgiving of mistakes. As everybody equips their favourite tier X tank first as a priority.  The easiest method of gaining spare parts is by completing missions.  They have also allowed for a wide range of tiers to complete the missions V-X. In the past it used to be just one tier. 

I expect that that they were planning to introduce a system of buying spare parts for cash but after the backlash on the introduction of 3.8 they backed away from it. ( from talking to a number of players about this a large number of them would have quit the game. I certainly would. The cash grab introduction of 3.8 was just too far and still leaves a very bitter taste  in my mouth). 

They introduced the give aways of free crates. Perhaps as a sweetener after the bitter pill of 3.8.  Silver became irrelevant for me as they had also changed the amount of silver earns in battles and with the daily give aways and other silver earned for the grinding for events. Just before this last release I had about 45 million.  I used up a large amount of this to raise the crew skill up on most things to level seven using up the experience gained on elite tanks.  But I am now back to about 23 million.  Running most of my tanks now with full consumables etc, not quite yet bothered with running camo all the time. 

I now only play my favourite tanks which I have fully equipped or on their birthday reducing the variety of tanks that I play. I go seal clubbing far more often these days as it is easier to get missions at tier V and VI rather than tier X. I of course use fully equipped tanks. 

The poor newbie player is taking a pounding and my win rate is slowly climbing. 

I still grind away at the tech tree but these days I will often only play the tanks for its first victory and the drop back to the old favourites.

The idea of having nine equipment slots did appeal to me. But you are limited on choice so almost all my mediums will be equipped the same way , the exception being the auto loaders. All my heavies are equipped the same way. Ditto lights, TD'S are slightly different depending on if they are big gun, no armour grill15 or lots of armour small gun tortoise. So in reality there is little difference in the way my tanks are set up. Which counteracts the reason given by WG for introducing the 9 slots. They may be changing this but from what I have learned it is going to be a very minor change. 

My take on the introduction of the 3.8 was that it was an ill thought out money grab attempt. That backfired when people stopped paying for premium time ( no point in using this as it doesn't affect the spare parts earning rate and we do not need the additional silver, the extra XP is nice but as you are limited by spare parts is it worth it for just XP?).  

Not going to be using gold to buy 100% crew skill as not going to be buying many new tanks.

Not going to be buying premium tanks as you do not have the spare parts to equip them.

Timers are for me a pointless annoyance I will just wait out the time as I do not have the spare parts to equip the next slot anyway and it will almost always take me longer to earn the spare parts before the timer has run out. So no gold from me for timers. 

If WG thinking really was to retain new players by reducing the advantage that the long term players had. It is in my opinion a complete failure as since 3.8+ it has increased my advantage over the new players and I am far more likely to play them before they have gained much experience. 

I use fully equipped tanks at a lower level than I used to play. I used to play mostly at tier VIII to X now I play Tier V and VI mostly and the occasional VII avoiding the vast majority of fantasy tanks as you do not get many at tier V and VI (I hatesem I do so my precious I hatesem but my dislike of fantasy tanks is for another thread).

I have the advantage of having most of my crew skills at level 7. 

That is my take/rant on the introduction of 3.8. P.S. Before 3.8 I tended not to post on the boards I just used to play the game and occasionally hunt around on the boards for information. Now I appear here far more often, cos I can at least vent my feelings about the <self edit> things that I think WG is making mistakes in or occasionally good stuff. FIREFLY YEA!!

There Ain't No Justice = TANJ 

Blue_Snail #22 Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:56 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4519 battles
  • [ALBAB]

Though I put my Rare Parts into mid tier tanks, I did fully equip my T1.

Its a tier 1 tank that can effectively deal with tier 2 tanks.

I usually only run it enough to finish my missions.  I really don't hang around to club seals.

Often I can finish all three missions in one battle.

If I rank 127, that must mean there are 126 players more ruthless than myself, hehe.

In theory, the Spare Parts system has some good rational, but the actual results

have not been ideal.  In my case, choosing avoid purchasing new tanks has made my credit situation quite easy.  And I am very dangerous at tiers 1 - 4.  Also, when I play with clan mates used to tier X battles, they rediscover the joy of Seal Clubbing.  And two experienced players in a platoon can often significantly contribute to a win.

Chairman_merpug #23 Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:15 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 45805 battles
  • [AFK]
The benefits of the new equipment are overrated. It's perfectly possible to get a decent WR in a tank before you add them all. Unless, of course, you don't believe you can.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

minitelrose #24 Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 72118 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostMarkat26, on 07 November 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

It's not just you. Yes it is a mess, but we can't keep fighting the same old battles. Play the game, have fun, move on. 

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

jylpah #25 Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:21 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 18908 battles
  • [AFK]

3.8 was a total screw-up in almost every possible way. The arguments to change the Equipment scheme were dubious at best and the only thing WG changed was the amount of frustration and anger among the player base. There rigid equipment scheme offers less true compromises between equipment since most of the choices are self-evident and almost the same for every tank. I give VertStabs to every tier VIII tank I grind. I start equipping tanks once I got and play only 2x victories until all the modules have been researched and VertStabs have been unlocked. I do not use gold to unlock timers. And my overall enjoyment is less since I would like to play many different tanks, but often feel "damn, I don't want to play this since it does not have equipment"... 

Here is something I have learned from the corporate world. I worked for Nokia for 13 years in different positions with very good visibility across the company. During its heydays the company was earning net profit over a billion euros a quarter. Business magazines were writing praise how Nokia was "the best" in nearly every single part of the value chain: it had the best marketing, best supply chain, best RD, best processes, whatever. Inside the company you understood how that was not the case and how most of the business reporters did not understand a crapabout the industries they covered. My learning was that as long as a successful company's the core business is "printing money", it can fck up pretty much everywhere else and yet both media and employees keep petting each others' backs and saying "job well done!". It is that success hides complete screw-ups and salaried people in general lack the guts and willingness to challenge the internal beliefs and taboos. Someone opening their mouth is quickly being silenced with "look Joe, we are making so much money. We must be doing it right"... It often starts from neglecting the customer, but yet the success can continue for long until a significantly better competitor manages to enter the  market. And I mean _manages_. Entering an established market is all but easy. And this is the state where WG is at the moment in my view. They are still mostly successful and do lot of good things. But they are also completely screwing up many many things (vehicle balance, equipment system, etc), but likely yet keep congratulating themselves over their "success". During my Nokia career, I once received the "look we are making 1bn profit a quarter"-argument. I asked back: "have you ever thought what if we could be making 2bn euros a quarter, if we did the right things right?". Silence followed.  

Just a little buff for Panther II, please 

Jylpah @EU  Jylpah @Asia  Tier V-X Tank Ranking   Blitz-tools   

Jukkis74 #26 Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:46 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 32628 battles
  • [AFK]
This troll is both creative and desperate. Must be lonely life. Try to find some meaning for your existence. Good luck.

jylpah #27 Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:00 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 18908 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostJukkis74, on 08 November 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

This troll is both creative and desperate. Must be lonely life. Try to find some meaning for your existence. Good luck.

Yeah. He has been on my ignore list long time. Can't bother to respond... And he does not make me mad since I see just a sad human fate there. A poor lonely fellow trolling forums trying to be seen and been heard. I know how it's gonna be a very sad and boring life for him. Since in the end no one gives a fck about him. It is just sad to see people getting so sidelined in the society. As a parent it hurts especially hard to see young kids growing towards so wrong direction since you have seen how similar fates have ended before. Asocial behavior, getting isolated after school ends, no idea what do when he reaches adult age, problems to create lasting relationships, no real friends, maybe resorting crimes, and many of those life ending prematurely by their own hand. It is just sad. And it makes you thinking, what went wrong? Is there a clear reason why things went so wrong? Was he bullied at school? Did he have a broken home? Or was it just a series of small wrong choices and slowly growing apart from the society. Therefore, despite his trolling and misbehavior, I truly hope he can recover and get his life under order, since the path he is taking is not glorious, fun or even pleasant. Just a long sad story to the grave. 

jylpah #28 Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 18908 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postharrier_77, on 16 August 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

Wg are a business, the prime objective is to make money. Spare parts and equipment are just a different avenue of cold hard mooolah for them :(

Yes, but could you please point out how the Spare Parts and 3.8 equipment are making more money to WG? Let me remind you how: 

1. You can't use money (gold) to purchase Spare Parts
  2. Constant shortage of Spare Parts reduces your motivation to buy new premium tanks
  3. Constant shortage of Spare Parts reduces your motivation to play many different tanks and may thus reduce your overall enjoyment to the game
  4. The lack of Spare Parts have made Spare Parts as the Bottleneck of your progress in the game. You will amass credits and Xp, but there is nothing you can do with those since are waiting to grind enough Spare Parts to play new tanks. 
  5. The change of Bottleneck from credits to Spare Parts has reduced the need to buy Premium Account. 
  6. Negative user feedback may alienate players from the game and increase user acquisition costs

All these factors decrease WG's income and some increase costs. So how exactly Spare Parts were "all about money"? I also thought they will introduce Spare Parts-for-Gold scheme, but no. It is just a absolute screw-up. A results of utter incompetence, nothing else. 

Mjr_Eazy #29 Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:54 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27897 battles
  • [BT_SV]
Dude, I guess you’re hinting at some major tragedy in your life and you’re “the kids” who need to be left to express their grief in a noisy, chaotic way.  If that is the case and these forums are your subway car I do truly feel sorry for you. Good luck with getting your head straight...
Having said that, whatever the truth of the matter your latest post just proves Jylpah’s point.  I’m not one of your modern men and brutal as it may seem, you really need to pull yourself together and stop acting like a child whatever the circumstances.  Me I’d go to the pub with me mates and sort myself out, trust me you’re not the only one with real life problems, trolling on t’internet doesn’t help!

547146227.png

RynnivaTykki #30 Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:44 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 63503 battles
  • [KORPI]

View Postjylpah, on 08 November 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

Yes, but could you please point out how the Spare Parts and 3.8 equipment are making more money to WG? Let me remind you how: 

1. You can't use money (gold) to purchase Spare Parts
  2. Constant shortage of Spare Parts reduces your motivation to buy new premium tanks
  3. Constant shortage of Spare Parts reduces your motivation to play many different tanks and may thus reduce your overall enjoyment to the game
  4. The lack of Spare Parts have made Spare Parts as the Bottleneck of your progress in the game. You will amass credits and Xp, but there is nothing you can do with those since are waiting to grind enough Spare Parts to play new tanks. 
  5. The change of Bottleneck from credits to Spare Parts has reduced the need to buy Premium Account. 
  6. Negative user feedback may alienate players from the game and increase user acquisition costs

All these factors decrease WG's income and some increase costs. So how exactly Spare Parts were "all about money"? I also thought they will introduce Spare Parts-for-Gold scheme, but no. It is just a absolute screw-up. A results of utter incompetence, nothing else. 

Many people are just mindlessly babbling about WG wanting to make money, but they do not THINK. As you clearly point out in your excellent posts, there is no way WG makes money now from players who CAN THINK. There is no motivation to spend real money anymore. Credits and XP are indeed worthless, and there is no way to buy those dammm Rare Parts.

Actually as a stingy person I am mostly fine with the game being completely free. But those ridiculous daily free crates must stop!

Edited by RynnivaTykki, 08 November 2017 - 07:46 AM.

soulinthemachine #31 Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 46352 battles
  • [TENC]

View PostMarkat26, on 07 November 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

It's not just you. Yes it is a mess, but we can't keep fighting the same old battles. Play the game, have fun, move on. 

That is exactly what we do . That is what the game is:) fighting battles .

Edited by soulinthemachine, 08 November 2017 - 10:09 AM.

soulinthemachine #32 Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 46352 battles
  • [TENC]
No one seems to ask about matchmaking in regard to spare parts. Is the tank equipment taken into consideration for matchmaking. If they are taken into consideration then the equipment slots aren't that important(except for enjoyment).No one complains about being a tier 7 vs tier 8 but complain about being tier 8.4 vs 8.9. This is also a factor in muddying the waters of Jylpahs fine stats. There is also the stock tank vs fully upgraded differences. I think the best is to ignore stats and play the tanks you enjoy most. This will take some of the anger out of the game. 

Steelyvoid #33 Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9565 battles

View Postsoulinthemachine, on 08 November 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

No one seems to ask about matchmaking in regard to spare parts. Is the tank equipment taken into consideration for matchmaking. If they are taken into consideration then the equipment slots aren't that important(except for enjoyment).

Agreed.  I think I would be much happier if I knew that equipment was relevant to matchmaking.  If that was the case, I'd just get rid of all the equipment as a pointless distraction and just play against weaker tanks

jylpah #34 Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:29 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 18908 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postsoulinthemachine, on 08 November 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

No one seems to ask about matchmaking in regard to spare parts. Is the tank equipment taken into consideration for matchmaking. If they are taken into consideration then the equipment slots aren't that important(except for enjoyment).No one complains about being a tier 7 vs tier 8 but complain about being tier 8.4 vs 8.9. This is also a factor in muddying the waters of Jylpahs fine stats. There is also the stock tank vs fully upgraded differences. I think the best is to ignore stats and play the tanks you enjoy most. This will take some of the anger out of the game. 

No, the Equipment is not considered by MM at all. Only for first 10 battles in a you will be top-tier and new tank, but then it’s random and the relative number of  players on each tier impact to your odds. There are more players on higher tiers, thus you are more likely to be bottom tier. 

What comes to the stats analysis I have a minimum battles required for each data point trying to eliminate stock/sub-100% crew tanks. 

RynnivaTykki #35 Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 63503 battles
  • [KORPI]

View Postjylpah, on 09 November 2017 - 04:29 AM, said:

No, the Equipment is not considered by MM at all. Only for first 10 battles in a you will be top-tier and new tank,

First ten battles top-tier? Never heard that before.

Just today I was top-tier in my new Cruiser I for the first 5 battles, but bottom-tier for the next 3 battles after that.

And same with Cruiser II, bottom-tier in the 6th battle.

Edited by RynnivaTykki, 09 November 2017 - 08:41 AM.

Also tagged with spare parts, equipment

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users