Purchase Advice for New Players

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Useful Gold Purchases for New Players (33 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 10 battles in order to participate this poll.

What item(s) do you think a new player could usefully buy with Gold?

1. Accelerated Crew Training (Regimental School) (6 votes [10.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

2. Booster Packs (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Garage Slots (17 votes [30.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.91%

4. Instant Upgrade of Vehicle Modules (2 votes [3.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

5. Premium Ammunition (1 vote [1.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

6. Premium Tanks (15 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

7. Premium Time (8 votes [14.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

8. Rare Camouflage (3 votes [5.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

9. Nothing (please state reasons) (3 votes [5.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Hide poll

sixty_three #1 Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8508 battles

When I started playing Blitz, I was given some free Gold to spend by WG.  I also started receiving offers to buy other items for money.  I recall browsing through this forum at the time, but couldn't find any single source for some independent advice on this matter.

Therefore I've created a poll listing all the item(s) I think a new player might be tempted to spend Gold on...feel free to vote for the sensible option(s) above, or just post some advice below.

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

Bada__Bing #2 Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6717 battles
  • [B-B-B]
Good idea, having looked at the list I think there's less items to usefully spend money on than a few months ago. If new players invest in crew training, it's a big help to give them a kick start. Garage slots is the only other worthwhile investment and even these are needed at a slower rate than pre spare parts. No point in buying premium tanks until you know which will suit your style.

sixty_three #3 Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8508 battles

To get the thread rolling, I would now only recommend that a new player buys a few garage slots with their "free" gold.  Just to give them more flexibility to build up their garage with tanks.  

If the new player was somebody with a historical interest in certain tanks, and/or made models of them, then I could understand the appeal of buying rare, historically accurate camouflage for these vehicles.  In fact rare camo purchases aren't a terrible idea if you just like the overall effect.

The biggest mistake a beginner could make IMO would be to actually spend money buying a premium tank of a higher tier than they've played using a standard tank.  However "special" the offer from WG.  

Mjr_Eazy #4 Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12772 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Totally agree - you should not be able to buy a premium tank of a higher tier than you have already, that would certainly have saved me from buying kv5 when too spud-u-like to realise what a disaster that would be.

Also I think they should make the default for prammo credits not gold took me a few games to realise I didn't need to use gold :facepalm:

A thread like this is a great idea, would have helped me a lot!

i also think WG should publicise the forum in the game as it's taught me a lot too.

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy

VonPottypoop #5 Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13559 battles
  • [FTC-1]

Personally I believe that using gold to max the crew and open up all the modules is the first best thing you can do. With this game you have to realise that there is no mercy after around ten game played. You will be facing people with hundreds or even thousands of games very quickly so my advice is choose a tier 2 tank quickly and max the tank and crew and burn at least 200 games before thinking about moving to tier three. A very wise piece of advice before all this is to choose a line and stick to it.

If I had the gumption to start again I would choose a line after a bit of research and for each tier stick on two zeros playing before moving to the next I.e tier 2 200games tier 3 300games and so on, this in my eyes is the best way forward.

Unfortunatley hindsight is a great thing and as a rusher and flitter I did too much damage but I am slowly turning it around.

​Very proud leader of the Fun-Tan-Clan 

Tijgerhaai_XIV #6 Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 7961 battles
  • [ALBA]
Below tier VI spending gold on crew or upgrades is just a waste, imho. Just started the two new French lines and maxed out the crew and tank one battle that was nothing to write home about.

I'd recommend playing as many tanks as possible and saving gold for later when you know what you are doing. Slots are good as they let you play more tanks - a new player should spend on nothing else, imho, so agree with 63.

VonPottypoop #7 Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13559 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostTijgerhaai_XIV, on 14 September 2017 - 07:24 PM, said:

Below tier VI spending gold on crew or upgrades is just a waste, imho. Just started the two new French lines and maxed out the crew and tank one battle that was nothing to write home about.

I'd recommend playing as many tanks as possible and saving gold for later when you know what you are doing. Slots are good as they let you play more tanks - a new player should spend on nothing else, imho, so agree with 63.

I can agree with you there on the first few tiers but for us now to max a crew and tank up to tier 3 is a formality but from scratch it's hard...hence the term Seal Clubbing.

sixty_three #8 Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8508 battles

Thanks for the replies so far... just realised I missed out on a couple of other options:

Using Gold to buy Credits

I remember being really short of credits when I first started.  The credits being needed to buy new tanks.  In the end I resolved the problem by selling ammo in other tanks, but I recall looking at the option to alternatively sell some Gold for credits.  Perhaps this is less of an issue now with the introduction of bonus crates?  But if anybody new is reading this now, I recommend you don't do it...you can't exchange credits back for Gold later on...

Using Gold to speed up Equipment Slot Timers

Hint: Patience is a virtue.  

VonPottypoop #9 Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13559 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View Postsixty_three, on 14 September 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies so far... just realised I missed out on a couple of other options:

Using Gold to buy Credits

I remember being really short of credits when I first started.  The credits being needed to buy new tanks.  In the end I resolved the problem by selling ammo in other tanks, but I recall looking at the option to alternatively sell some Gold for credits.  Perhaps this is less of an issue now with the introduction of bonus crates?  But if anybody new is reading this now, I recommend you don't do it...you can't exchange credits back for Gold later on...

Using Gold to speed up Equipment Slot Timers

Hint: Patience is a virtue.  

Gold to open spare part slots? No! Never! Just isn't an option or 3.8 has won!

Precariat #10 Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:29 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9032 battles
  • [B-B-B]

When I started playing Blitz, in March of this year I had no experience of tank games. i bought 1 month of premium time but I felt 1 or 2 weeks would have served me better.

Unless you are good at this game, earning credits is the biggest barrier to quick progression. Now I'm not saying that quick progression should be the aim but it is natural to want to progress quickly. If you struggle at a tier then it's best to drop down a tier to work on technique and then improve at the next tier up. Early on TD are good credit earners but don't think you are better because you do top damage in them.

Accelerated training, just credits to 75% up to tier V. After that I found going straight to 100% seemed better, you have better performance and many tanks lack the improved vents which gives you a 3% bonus. It improves everything on the tank. At lower tiers you can reach 100% very quickly, but if you struggle on a particular tank it will make that struggle much longer.

Premium Ammunition, you quickly will find yourself low tier in many battles and without the skill to safely flank targets having 10-15 premium rounds can mean you can still damage the reds while learning this. I always carry around this amount of prammo, I try not to use it as it will often mean fewer credits earnedif you lean on it too heavily.

TD shouldn't need premium ammo as a rule.

Premium Tank(s) A low tier one (III/IV) can help in that they are usually quite good when played well and result in a steady supply of credits while learning. The trick is learning how to use them. I have around 12 premium tanks now (none above tier VI), the ones I bought < 50%) were on special offer, usually with credits/gold. It took time to learn how to use them, I thought some were hopeless when I got them, but they are all good tanks imo.

Premium Time  A couple of weeks should set most players up for the long haul unless they are rushing to high tiers. Because you get tokens for free now, just collect those and use them to get you over the hump when moving up a tier. Starting at tier IV you really start grinding to new tanks, I have enough that I can play 1 hour premium each day for well over a month should I wish, that's not including the 9 hour/1 day certificates.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

sixty_three #11 Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8508 battles

View PostPrecariat, on 15 September 2017 - 06:29 AM, said:

Premium Tank(s) A low tier one (III/IV) can help in that they are usually quite good when played well and result in a steady supply of credits while learning. The trick is learning how to use them. I have around 12 premium tanks now (none above tier VI), the ones I bought < 50%) were on special offer, usually with credits/gold. It took time to learn how to use them, I thought some were hopeless when I got them, but they are all good tanks imo.

The first of the "readily available" premium tanks I bought was the Tier IV Valentine II.  I found it to be a forgiving vehicle for exploring all the new maps that become available at Tier III.  But at that stage I wasn't a complete novice. I had played rather a lot of games at Tier II just to learn the basics of the game on the three starter maps - like you I hadn't played an online tank battle game before.  

I know there are some "special offer" Tier II premium tanks which WG occasionally put up for sale.  I'm thinking of tanks like the Mini-Maus and the Tetrarch.  Don't own either, but if anybody has experience of driving Tier II premiums, are these beginner-friendly vehicles? Both in terms of being relatively easy to drive, and capable of generating plenty of credits.

Edited by sixty_three, 15 September 2017 - 07:03 AM.

Blue_Snail #12 Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4444 battles

As I see it, the only essential item for spending gold on is additional Garage Slots.

You really need them to be able to try out different tanks,

All other uses of gold merely accelerate your progress in the game.

If you like this silly game and stick around for a while, you will be able to earn everything you want.

LoadAimFireRun #13 Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 24844 battles
  • [-ROP-]
I'd buy an IS6 full price and than get a 19 percent winrate in it. Ofcourse firing HE only so my avg dmg will be around 75 per game.

Precariat #14 Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9032 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View Postsixty_three, on 15 September 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

I know there are some "special offer" Tier II premium tanks which WG occasionally put up for sale.  I'm thinking of tanks like the Mini-Maus and the Tetrarch.  Don't own either, but if anybody has experience of driving Tier II premiums, are these beginner-friendly vehicles? Both in terms of being relatively easy to drive, and capable of generating plenty of credits.

The tier II Pz. 38H came in a triple pack (along with M22 Locust - tier III & the A-32 tier IV)

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

matko007 #15 Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 22025 battles
  • [VINCE]

View PostLoadAimFireRun, on 15 September 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

I'd buy an IS6 full price and than get a 19 percent winrate in it. Ofcourse firing HE only so my avg dmg will be around 75 per game.

I'll stick to your plan pal!

mrpgilbert #16 Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 31198 battles
  • [AFK]

Once upon a time, it mattered. Now, gold is free, along with credits, and premium time. So maybe garage slots. I don't know. As the game economy is totally broken, I ignore it and focus on acing tanks. It isn't working very well just now, but I'll get there.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

Dans79Vet #17 Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 31945 battles
  • [-GNA-]

Garage slots are the first best thing to buy.

This allows you to keep tanks you do well in.

Premium Time is next best as it gives increased credits and XP making grinds easier.

Premium tanks are next as they will be a constant credit grinder.

Tier5 should be the max you can get from the tech tree until you grind a line to tiers 6 or above.

Tank bundles for cash should not have a restriction.

Stop the IS-6 or equivalent for dirt cheap deals to new players, they should be offered tier6 at most.

Mjr_Eazy #18 Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12772 battles
  • [BT_SV]
A key message from this poll is don't waste it on poosters - I admit it I made that mistake once, man that was a painful lesson, anyone reading this thread all I can say is for the love of whatever deity you believe in, don't buy poosters! Ever!

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy

VonPottypoop #19 Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13559 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View Postsixty_three, on 15 September 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

The first of the "readily available" premium tanks I bought was the Tier IV Valentine II.  I found it to be a forgiving vehicle for exploring all the new maps that become available at Tier III.  But at that stage I wasn't a complete novice. I had played rather a lot of games at Tier II just to learn the basics of the game on the three starter maps - like you I hadn't played an online tank battle game before.  

Don't touch them with my barge pole, the new Op tanks just eat them, once mini Maus was good but in my eyes it's just a good tier 1 now.

VonPottypoop #20 Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13559 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostPrecariat, on 15 September 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

The tier II Pz. 38H came in a triple pack (along with M22 Locust - tier III & the A-32 tier IV)

Only one worth keeping now is the A-32

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users