Basics for Newbies

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Birdistheword15 #1 Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37113 battles
  • [BRIT6]

I am going to keep this fairly straightforward (in no particular order of importance):

1) NEVER drive out with a stock tank. Your doing yourself and your team a disservice. Make sure you are fully upgraded before rolling out.

2) If your behind cover and you know the enemies are in front of you DO NOT drive out side on.You will get hit.

3) NEVER go alone. The likelihood is your die alone.

4) Russian heavies are NOT designed for long range sniping.

5) If you come up to a ridge and you know the reds are on the other side DO NOT go over the ridge. You will get hit and probably die.

6) Learn to read team line ups at the start. If your the only heavy on your team, for example, and there are 3 heavies on the reds, don't go the heavy tank route. Follow your teammates. Chances are they will be going in the opposite direction.

7) The square in the top left hand corner of your screen with the moving green and red shapes? Thats your mini map. Use it.

8) SOS means help. NOT watch and do nothing.

9) In most scenarios taking the high ground is best.

10) Give your teammates room. If you block them reversing, especially when they are facing the enemy, they will not be happy with you.

11) Make sure you have ammo loaded.

12) If you are in the cap circle and the reds are hitting you DO NOT continue to cap, especially if your the last one left.

13) A light tank is used for scouting and spotting the opposing team NOT charging into them and dying in the first few seconds of a game.

14) Bail/Relocate/Move.  Get the hell out of there. If you can.Not just sit there. If you move you might get a second chance.

15) Most yolo charges/runs end in you being destroyed. Its dumb. DO NOT do it.

16) If your in a german tank protect your front lower plate. Angle or use cover.

17) The Kv1s and KV2 work best with the 122mm and 152mm guns respectively.

18) Typing 'group' at the start of a match is too vague an instruction. Try <<<<<< or >>>>. That means left and right respectively.

19) If you have less than 500 battles in total you should probably stick to playing tiers 1-4 for a while. Sorry you have not got enough battles or experience under your belt. 

20) If your with another teammate and you begin to go forward/crest a ridge/drive out side on/whatever and your teammate types negative chances are you should stop and rethink that move you were about to make.

21) Learn to side scrape, especially if your driving a russian heavy.

22) DO NOT sit out in the open. Move.

23) Japanese tanks do not make good frontline tanks. You have no armour. Your second line.

24) If you have tried 1, 2, 3, or  even 4  times to get up a steep hill and it ain't working then stop it. Move on.

25) Firing ammo randomly at the start of a game is just wasting ammo. Stop it. 

26) Keep questions about what gun to use or what tank to get next to the forums NOT the in-game battle chat. Its a distraction. 

27) If your in a thinly armoured tank and you know a red kv2 or su152 with the derp cannon is round the corner your on I would probably NOT drive round that corner. It will likely hurt. A lot.

Edited by Birdistheword15, 01 October 2017 - 04:21 PM.

sixty_three #2 Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 11414 battles

First thing I'd like to say is that your post was just the kind of neat summary I'd have liked to have read when I started playing Blitz.

It's a shame though that like other helpful posts, most of the people IMO who need to know this stuff won't ever be looking for it on this forum.

I have three suggestions for your list:

Point 1. Explain what a stock tank actually is, and what fully upgraded means.  Does it include camo, provisions etc.  And what about equipment slots.  

Point 6. Explain what is meant by tank routes.  

Point 12. Explain why capping early is not a good idea.  

Nice attempt though. 

Edited by sixty_three, 01 October 2017 - 04:18 PM.

One of life’s challenges — knowing enough to think you are right, but not enough to know that you are wrong.

Birdistheword15 #3 Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37113 battles
  • [BRIT6]

View Postsixty_three, on 01 October 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

First thing I'd like to say is that your post was just the kind of neat summary I'd have liked to have read when I started playing Blitz.

It's a shame though that like other helpful posts, most of the people IMO who need to know this stuff won't ever be looking for it on this forum.

I have three suggestions for your list:

Point 1. Explain what a stock tank actually is, and what fully upgraded means.  Does it include camo, provisions etc.  And what about equipment slots.  

Point 6. Explain what is meant by tank routes.  

Point 12. Explain why capping early is not a good idea.  

Nice attempt though. 

Point 1 - you have the top gun, engine and tracks fitted. With a few exceptions (e.g the stock turret on the sherman jumbo, 152mm gun on the kv2) your tank should be fully upgraded

Point 6 -  The Copperfield, Fort Despair and Himmelsdorf maps, for example, have well known heavy tank routes.

Point 12 Not capping early necessarily more continuing to cap when you are repeatedly getting hit (therefore the reds are resetting the cap counter). If you are the last one left and you go for a full cap you just told the reds where you are and most cap circles don't have good cover. Your a sitting duck.

Edited by Birdistheword15, 01 October 2017 - 04:33 PM.

Chairman_merpug #4 Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34194 battles
  • [AFK]

I'd add

28) I really don't care what country you're from

But also, driving stock tanks is necessary in the early stages of someone's career, 'cos otherwise they can't get the XP to upgrade it. Those of us who've been round the block a few times have Free XP knocking around, and other tanks to grind it on to enable us to upgrade. I'd rather someone took a stock tank out than goldnoobed the top kit for cash without learning how to play the basics. Like I did. Albeit badly.

And please fix the your/you're thing. That grates as much on me as turret twiddling bush camping noobs do on you.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

Birdistheword15 #5 Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37113 battles
  • [BRIT6]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 01 October 2017 - 04:34 PM, said:

I'd add

28) I really don't care what country you're from

But also, driving stock tanks is necessary in the early stages of someone's career, 'cos otherwise they can't get the XP to upgrade it. Those of us who've been round the block a few times have Free XP knocking around, and other tanks to grind it on to enable us to upgrade. I'd rather someone took a stock tank out than goldnoobed the top kit for cash without learning how to play the basics. Like I did. Albeit badly.

And please fix the your/you're thing. That grates as much on me as turret twiddling bush camping noobs do on you.

You ever been in a battle with a top tier russian heavy or cromwell sporting a stock gun?  I have. Its horrible and not a good omen for how the match will turn out.

Hey this is a quick ideas dump. Not Shakespeare. People get the gist.

Edited by Birdistheword15, 01 October 2017 - 05:26 PM.

Chairman_merpug #6 Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34194 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 01 October 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

You ever been in a battle with a top tier russian heavy or cromwell sporting a stock gun?  I have. Its horrible and not a good omen for how the match will turn out.

I've been in plenty of games with a HE firing fool in all sorts of inappropriate tanks, and Tigers with stock turret, and IS or KV-1S with pew pew guns. Sometimes they do OK, sometimes they suck.

And it's nothing to do with Shakespeare. He'd have made up some interesting words. You're just getting the language wrong.

Be nice to me..

Birdistheword15 #7 Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37113 battles
  • [BRIT6]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 01 October 2017 - 11:33 PM, said:

And it's nothing to do with Shakespeare. He'd have made up some interesting words. You're just getting the language wrong.

I know that.It was a turn of phrase. I was typing the message on a train. Cut me some slack, it could have been alot worse, I could have littered it with dreaded text speak.

Edited by Birdistheword15, 02 October 2017 - 02:14 PM.

albin747 #8 Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13453 battles
  • [RIOT-]

About the stock tank thing, it's perfectly fine to drive a tank not fully upgraded for a while if you don't want to throw money at the game. Just be sure to use all regular consumable slots since not using them will massively nerf your performance. I'd recommend using full provisions and camo at T4 and below but above that feel free to leave some out if your credit making takes too big of a hit. Start by dropping the protective kit, it's the least useful one of the bunch. It's worthwhile to unlock the first 3 equipment slots on all tanks really since they can be bought with credits, but save your spare parts for your favorite tanks only as they are very scarce. Bring some premium ammo as well (click the switch to make sure you buy it usig credits and not gold). If you're gun isn't fully upgraded and has low pen consider taking extra premium ammo.

Also feel free to play whatever tier you like. The game does have a rather steep learning curve and as the OP has said if you want to take it seriously and improve consider playing low tiers, probably T4-T5, but if that doesn't excite you take out higher tier tanks to your hearts extent. You probably shouldn't boss others around or complain to your teammates when they don't listen to you though if you don't want to recieve an exessive amount of hate in your PMs. This is a game, entertainment, and you should have fun playing.

The one other thing is about SOS messages, if you see one it means a teammate is requesting help. Leave sniper mode and assess the situation. Consider helping but remember that a lot of the time there is absolutely nothing you can do to help your teammate. Just yoloing to try and help might result in 2 dead tanks rather than 1. Many times have I seen noobs yolo head first into several enemies only to die quickly while spamming SOS, and usually bitching about the team being useless in chat after their inevitable death.

Other than that, pretty good stuff :great:

VonPottypoop #9 Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14883 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 01 October 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

Perfect example of this is the T54 with stock gun. You shoot a tier 8 they say "ouch" , shoot at tier 9 they say "really",  shoot at a tier 10 and they can't play for crying with laughter!:hiding:

​Very proud leader of the Fun-Tan-Clan 

Chairman_merpug #10 Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34194 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 02 October 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

I know that.It was a turn of phrase. I was typing the message on a train. Cut me some slack, it could have been alot worse, I could have littered it with dreaded text speak.

Hmm. My late mother used textspeak. Very weird, coming from an elderly, retired lawyer. 

Be nice to me..

TheDudeAbidesBlitz #11 Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 597 battles
  • [IRMA_]

Always be spotted at a position where you are not easy to hit, but you still can either control choke point or have possibility to overwatch large area of the map (usually area where your platoon mate is located).

Don't show even inch more tank silhouette than is necessary to send shot away, after that hide.

Keep moving during reload - if there happens to be unspotted long range sniper, he will have more difficult target.

Hit and pen almost every time - use prammo if necessary, relocate if can't pen even with prammo.

Kill tanks right away and don't let badly hurt tanks run and hide.

If get hit, disappear from view and few moments later deal damage elsewhere.

Use consumables in most of the battles, but don't hit them when countdown is over.

Hit critical modules to cause extra damage and slow/pin enemy tank.

Know how to ram kill one low HP opponent dead and shoot another higher HP tank when reload is finished.

Time your shots when enemy guns are empty so return fire isn't going to hurt you.

Relocate if enemy isn't visible anywhere.

Know when to cap and lure running low HP enemy out from bushes - or just cap for win, if it decides to hide.

Don't cap without reason.

Save your team mates from trouble (if you see it makes sense or is needed for win).

Shoot to weak spots - all of them.

Know all strenghts and weaknesses in tanks you are driving.

When peek-a-boo, choose ammotype which will penetrate.

Use HE shells in right occasions like resetting cap or killing very low HP opponent without risk of bounce or when you see possibility to penetrate with maximum damage ammo.

And so on..

N00basaurus #12 Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:13 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4689 battles
  • [ALBAB]

See that weird looking cost symbol next to the premium ammo slider? Tap/click it, so you'll pay credits instead of gold. Maybe this way you'll bring along some rounds which will actually go through that KV-1. Yes, you in the Duck.

If you're in a slow-azz tank, don't go round the map to flank. Your team will end up dead, meaning you're now facing 5 reds alone.

If you've got the thickest armour on your team (Duck/Tilly in a tier 4 or 3/4 battle), don't hide. Don't reset camo. Make them focus on you, so your thinner skinned teammates can pummel them without getting blammed. Of course, you need to know how to use that armour. Juke, move fore/back, angle etc. Also, you need to know which tanks will go through you regardless of angling.

For the love of Cthulhu don't let one-shot tanks run away. I've both won and lost battles due to reds who left me alive on 20 hp, and teammates who didn't scrap that 20 hp red.

If you see a teammate getting circled and you can save them without getting blammed, help them! Just a few matches ago I saved a Jumbo from a CoD-ing VK28 by bullying it with my T1 (T1 and M6 are basically the same tank minus one gun).

EDIT: This is veering into more experienced gameplay, but it's worth discussing: learn the optimum load-out for the tanks you're likely to encounter. This way you can avoid wasting time on that derpTilda and take out the 57mm T-28 instead.

Edited by N00basaurus, 06 October 2017 - 02:05 AM.

Female crew voicepacks please!

Reclassify the M7 as a Light Tank! Reclassify the AMX CDC as a Tank Destroyer!

bunnybun123 #13 Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10605 battles
  • [FTC-1]

I recognise a lot from your list. Especially people (teammates) who block me so i get killed are really annoying. On second place I put players who go to the cap immediatly, to get killed of course. I always say then: "no base yet", but often the whole team doesn't listen to me and go base (and we lose, because they all get killed without doing damage). 

This is a problem for the lower tiers, I guess, but since i play tier III-V a lot, it happens too often. 

Edited by bunnybun123, 08 October 2017 - 04:12 PM.

Birdistheword15 #14 Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37113 battles
  • [BRIT6]

View Postbunnybun123, on 08 October 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

I recognise a lot from your list. Especially people (teammates) who block me so i get killed are really annoying. On second place I put players who go to the cap immediatly, to get killed of course. I always say then: "no base yet", but often the whole team doesn't listen to me and go base (and we lose, because they all get killed without doing damage). 

This is a problem for the lower tiers, I guess, but since i play tier III-V a lot, it happens too often. 

Trust me it happens above tier v as well. Unfortunately. Too many rushing up the tiers too quickly. Age old problem. Never fixed by wg. 

Chairman_merpug #15 Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34194 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 08 October 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

Trust me it happens above tier v as well. Unfortunately. Too many rushing up the tiers too quickly. Age old problem. Never fixed by wg. 

Has happened from the start, will always happen, part of the game. For proof, check my JagdTiger stats. :facepalm:

Be nice to me..

Birdistheword15 #16 Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37113 battles
  • [BRIT6]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 08 October 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

Has happened from the start, will always happen, part of the game. For proof, check my JagdTiger stats. :facepalm:

Thats my point, its part of the game that has not been fixed. There is no barrier or incentive, specifically for new players, to work on their game gradually at a tier. So they rush up the tiers and fail, the more experienced players rage at this (because we've been in that situation themselves), nothing gets solved, and it carrys on as before.  

Edited by Birdistheword15, 09 October 2017 - 10:59 AM.

bunnybun123 #17 Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10605 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 09 October 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

Thats my point, its part of the game that has not been fixed. There is no barrier or incentive, specifically for new players, to work on their game gradually at a tier. So they rush up the tiers and fail, the more experienced players rage at this (because we've been in that situation themselves), nothing gets solved, and it carrys on as before.  

I know about this. I was exactly the same when I started to play this game. I grinded like crazy till the LTTB in tier 7 and then I did realise I was really bad in that tank, and also in its predecessors. So know I'm working on another line, currently at Tier 6 (T-34-85), till my WR is up to 50 percent. Takes a while, but I have a lot more fun now :) 

Chairman_merpug #18 Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34194 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostBirdistheword15, on 09 October 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

The thing is, if it was harder, people would give up quicker, not spend money, and the game would die rapidly. New players churning through are essential. Long term players who care about anything other than driving tanks around and going boom are a tiny minority. 

Be nice to me..

Fury_733 #19 Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 5281 battles
And never sell tanks in your garage to buy the next tier. Most common and critical mistake a new player could make. Has the possibility to end your career unless you choose to take the very long and annoying way

2014= 52% noobs

2015= 75% noobs

2016= 90% noobs

2017= :facepalm:

N00basaurus #20 Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:53 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4689 battles
  • [ALBAB]

One very important thing I've noticed many newer players do, of which I'm sometimes guilty of:

Only fully aim if you're in a TD, or doing a long range duel and your enemy has a slow reload gun.

In any other situation, waiting until the reticle has fully shrunk means you'll get hit by at least two tanks, while you barely squeeze off one shot.

Learn to twitch aim/shoot. Easier if you're on PC, due to better control over the reticle and lolpwn autoaim.

Female crew voicepacks please!

Reclassify the M7 as a Light Tank! Reclassify the AMX CDC as a Tank Destroyer!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users