Performance of New Players

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

sixty_three #1 Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

Last month I battled in a few Tier I & II tanks.  Partly for denoobing, and partly to see how new Blitz players were performing. I identified "new" players surreptitiously after the battle by finding which met this criteria:

1. Their total battle time was less than 1hr;

2. They had named accounts, i.e. not Player_xxxxxxxxxx;

3. They were obviously not rerollers.  I judged that a reroller might either already have a three-figure average damage rate, or that they had displayedsome skills during my battle with them.

I tried to note what they achieved in the battle I participated in, and then checked their stats every couple of days.

In all, nine players met the criteria.  The stats from this small sample should take that into consideration.

However I did find it interesting nonetheless.

Of these nine, five no longer seem to regularly play Blitz (at least 7 days having passed since their last battle).  The battle counts for these five were: 3, 3, 3, 7 and 23.  Apart from the latter player, all the games were spread out over just one day.  Whilst all all these players had inflicted a little damage on their opponents (probably a little autocannon fire), none had killed anybody.  The player on battle #7 was also rudely shouted at for capping.  

Of the four still playing:

1. Bought a Pz. B2. and managed to kill somebody with it... however since they only won one game out of eleven in the B2, for all I know it might have been caused by an enemy ramming them.  Total battlecount = 14, WR c. 10%

2. Has played in about 40 battles, and have two "3rd Class" awards at Tier I

3. Later joined a clan and played the most games (about 170). Now playing Tier V in a Chaffee.  Overall WR around serial AFK levels (c. 30%)

4. Later also joined a clan and started platooning significantly (23% after c. 80 battles). WR is 50% and they have gained a 1st class award in the Loltrackter.

Thoughts

a) I was initially surprised that most people appear to have given up on Blitz so quickly. But then I remembered the feeling of being "thrown into the deep end" myself so quickly after the short tutorial.  

So my first suggestion is that if somebody hasn't killed a tank in either the short tutorial battles via bots, or actually in a real battle, they be given multiple chances to play in the tutorial bot battles until they score a kill.

I also think post-death chat should be switched off if the battle includes any Tier I tanks.  The idea that a beginner who had been fighting for just a few minutes is going to take in any suggestions via chat seems far fetched. Yet I suspect one player is no longer playing this game because another sealclubber lost their temper with them.

b) The findings confirm my  belief that selling premium tanks to near absolute beginners is a waste of time/energy.  

c) Clans seem to be a mixed blessing.  The one that is allowing the player to progress slowly, perhaps by platooning with them as they drive a Loltracker, seems to be a very good model to follow.  The one that has allowed a player to hit Tier V without learning apparently anything useful, much less so.

I doubt I'll be following these people any further.  However thought I'd share these findings in the forum in case anybody else has ideas as to how to retain new players.  The churn rate seems very high.

Edited by sixty_three, 04 November 2017 - 05:08 PM.

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

Mjr_Eazy #2 Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9045 battles
  • [BT_SV]

I think a better tutorial with more scenarios would help.  When I 1st started it was a nightmare and sound similar to your newcomers - I had a WR similar to a serial AFK’er, discovering the you tube vids and forum helped me a lot, I think WG should help publicise them in game.

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy

Bada__Bing #3 Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6258 battles
  • [B-B-B]

Drop out rate must be enormous amongst new players, your sample ( though small) is probably a good indicator. It really doesn’t take much to put newcomers off, especially the younger element. I trawl the lower tiers looking for clan members as we specialize in new players. It’s harder than you might think to successfully pull people into a clan . Language barrier is a major hurdle, I usually send a message asking if they speak good English. 

To be honest the younger element , say below 15, are almost impossible to help. They’ll play any game until they find one that gives them instant success, any hint of a struggle or requirement of dedication and they’re off to the next game leaving a trail of lost battles for the rest of us.

VonPottypoop #4 Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11787 battles
  • [FTC-1]
And this is a perfect example of why the WR should be dropped altogether and every tier should have a rating system instead. After 10 games you can find yourself taking on the likes of SK8 or Jose Olas etc. It’s no fun getting smashed every game. We all do it and I am guilty of stat padding after a bad run in the lower tiers with a good platoon partner. Often we do the whole team together getting top damage by a big margin. If this game is to prosper Wargaming need to change the system to restore some parity.

​Very proud leader of the Fun-Tan-Clan 

Blue_Snail #5 Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4433 battles

In the world of WoT, almost no clan will accept anyone with less than 1K battles.  By that time, someone is more likely to stick around.

I have noticed that on my cellphone NA account, there is an enormous amount of choice of games for portable devices.

Blue_Snail #6 Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4433 battles

I agree with VonPottypoop.  I am a notorious Seal Clubber.  My main goal at the present time is to equip my "keeper" tanks.  I like to keep my missions easy, so I rarely go above tier IV.  I've almost finished equipping my KV-3.  I still have 1 tier 4, 3 tier 5's and one tier 7 tank I want to equip.  That should take about 7-8 months.

I platoon with ALBA and Empros guys.  They all know that The Snail will always be running tiers 1-4.  I just got my 5th Ace Mastery in my T-1 Cunningham.  Takes a lot of detergent at the end of the day to keep my club smelling nice.

Mjr_Eazy #7 Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9045 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Sorry Blue_Snail I think doing something like the following might help with churn.

players with a WR > 48% should not be allowed to play tiers 1 & 2 unless in a platoon with a player with < 100 games, that would minimise the seal clubbing a bit but mean someone should actually learn something whilst it’s happening and at least encourage newer players.  That with a decent tutorial and publicity for forums and videos would really help a lot I reckon.

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

Blue_Snail #8 Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4433 battles

WoT did at one time have a Seal Protection Program.

Players with < 1K battles would never see players with > 1K battles.

This would not work well in Blitz, since there are fewer players here.

And yes, my Seal Clubbing is indeed a cruel activity for new players.

But the whole Spare Parts system has made it a very rewarding strategy.

And though I am willing to climb the tiers, climbing the tiers does not have a great appeal to me.

Especially from the stories I hear.

I got up to tier 9 in WoT, and did not enjoy it.

sixty_three #9 Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:18 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

Thanks to everybody above for their thoughts.

How about having relatively easy missions that are uniquely targeted at players who haven't yet earned a "First Blood" token?  

Such as ones based around basic shooting skills.  And the rewards for completing these missions to be things which we know would be genuinely beneficial.  Like a free garage slot.  Rare camo for the tank, etc.

As to recruiting for clans, perhaps there could be a user setting that would signify that the player was looking to join a clan for mentoring.  There could be another picklist to highlight which language(s) they were comfortable using.  And then a list of wannabe students could be generated and viewed by clan leaders.

PS: I'm OK with sealclubbing.  But I'm not OK with sealclubbers losing their rag with people who have only been playing the game for a few minutes.  

Edited by sixty_three, 05 November 2017 - 10:18 PM.

Blue_Snail #10 Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:34 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4433 battles

I like sixty_three's point about not getting upset with new, unskilled players.

Since I willingly play at lower tiers, I am careful about getting bothered with players.

If I don't like what someone has done, I always first look at their record.

Often, the player is simply inexperienced, so I leave them alone, or send them an encouraging message.

I don't want to downvote anyone just because they are new.

mrpgilbert #11 Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28993 battles
  • [AFK]
Sealclubbing is now and always has been part of the game. It's not suddenly going to put off any more players than it used to. Very few people get past the "I keep losing, so I must get a higher tier tank with more armour and a bigger gun" level of play. Those who do become the next generation of sealclubbers. Where's the problem?

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

Mjr_Eazy #12 Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9045 battles
  • [BT_SV]

I guess my problem with seal clubbing is not with people wanting to improve stats or grind rare parts etc but I do think the churn is a problem and seal clubbing doesn’t help as there are a lot of salty seal clubbers and the players at the low tiers need all the help they can get...

altho you’re right I’m sure i’ll be going clubbing at some stage :)

Bada__Bing #13 Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6258 battles
  • [B-B-B]
I can never understand why more experienced players get abusive in low tier games, it’s the same as choosing to eat In Mc Donald’s and then complaining about noisy kids and the lack of table service 

Nol95 #14 Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10046 battles
  • [WARNO]

In my opinion the entire tutorial of the game should be reworked.Once a player has finished his training ground battles he/she should be linked to some videos on youtube about the most basic stuff and then that player can work his way up by watching a playlist of tutorial videos.Then they would be linked to the forums for even more tips and tricks,that way atleast a good part of the playerbase can do some basic tactics.

agm_114_hellfire #15 Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18952 battles
  • [N2KU]
you really should leave lower tiers alone and not play it at all

Tier X- T110E5-Leopard 1-FV4202-Object 140-IS7-E50M-T57 Heavy

sixty_three #16 Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

View Postagm_114_hellfire, on 06 November 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

you really should leave lower tiers alone and not play it at all

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

Just fought in probably my last Tier-1 battle, simply to note the typical level of sealclubber participation.

On my team there were two beginners who had fought 3 battles each.  They did manage several penetrating hits on the opposition, all the more creditable as the opposition team didn't include any beginners.  For their team included a reroller, and three clan players with over 20,000 games between them.  The one who killed me had a 4000+ rating.

I haven't played the game long enough to know a time when there were no missions.  I do wonder though whether sealclubbing was as prevalent then (the pre-mission era) as it is now? As I suspect it is the prospect of easily completing a mission that is bringing some people in to play at Tier I.

Edited by sixty_three, 06 November 2017 - 05:30 PM.

Blue_Snail #17 Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4433 battles

From Sixty_Three:

I haven't played the game long enough to know a time when there were no missions.  I do wonder though whether sealclubbing was as prevalent then (the pre-mission era) as it is now? As I suspect it is the prospect of easily completing a mission that is bringing some people in to play at Tier I.

I came in just after Update 3.8, so I find this a very intriguing question.  I''m sure there may have been some stat-padding.  In WoT, I hang out mostly in the mid-tiers with an occasional low tier battle.  But in Blitz, I do low tiers to harvest Rare Parts.  If I only have a limited amount of time, or if I am a bit "Tanked Out", it normally only takes me one or two battles to collect my Harvest, then I leave.

I do plan to return to tier climbing when I get my "keeper" tanks equipped.

Tijgerhaai_XIV #18 Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 6831 battles
  • [ALBA]

View PostBada__Bing, on 06 November 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

I can never understand why more experienced players get abusive in low tier games, it’s the same as choosing to eat In Mc Donald’s and then complaining about noisy kids and the lack of table service 

I think it is because they are often only playing to win. They have a sense of entitlement, they deserve to win at low tiers. Also they may be letting off steam after a losing streak.

Unicums don't play tier I to lose games...

It is trap, playing only to win really leaves you in a lose-meh situation, win and so what? lose, and the whole game has been rendered counter productive.

sixty_three #19 Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

One more idea...  :)

The "Exit to Garage" button option that appears after you die in battle should be disabled until:

a) The new player records their first kill;

b) After the new player has watched their surviving teammates in a "reasonable" number of battles.  Maybe about five?

The way I first learnt to play better wasn't by viewing you tube videos, platooning with anybody else, or reading anything on this forum.

(Though with the benefit of hindsight, all might have helped.)

Rather, I did use the facility, which I rather stumbled across, to follow the battle from the viewports of my surviving teammates.  I then saw how Tier II tank destroyers could hide behind bushes and snipe away unseen at the opposition.  So I simply started emulating them... yes, it sometimes was camping, but it slowed the game down for me so that I could line up a killing shot.  That's what kept me playing this game.  I think it might work for others.

Edited by sixty_three, 07 November 2017 - 09:04 AM.

sixty_three #20 Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

18 days after starting this thread, out of curiosity I checked up on the group of new players. Of the 4 still playing then, the 2 who hadn't joined a clan appear to have quit.  

As as for 2 players still in the game:

a) The one who raced up to Tier V is playing much less now, and is still performing very poorly (33% WR).

b) The final player still seems keen (now over 400 battles).  However their hit rate is only averaging about 50% even in tanks with accurate, single shot guns.  This is holding them back I feel.  

So joining a clan does seem to be an indicator that a beginner will stick around longer playing the game.  It's no guarantee they're play any better.

The person who was sold the premium Pz. B2, and managed a 8.33% WR in it before quitting, I suppose has helped fund the game.

I guess they thought they'd be purchasing success in the game.  Caveat emptor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users