Performance of New Players

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Mjr_Eazy #21 Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9123 battles
  • [BT_SV]

2 out of 9 left and it looks like 5 of the leavers left very quickly which is pretty damning!

I remember what it was like when I 1st started and nearly quit so many times, dunno if WG are listening or if any of the CC’s can take it to them but they really need to improve the tutorial/training for new players.

I personally think they need to give them say 50? battles without seal clubbers, ratings battles for all tiers perhaps or only allow seal clubbers to play tiers I & II if they’re in a platoon.  Sure you’ll get re-rollers but that should mean they get to learn something.

Having said all that it may just be a symptom of mobile games, I’ve tons of games on my phone/iPad I only played a few games in or haven’t played in ages and that’s ignoring the deleted ones like Clash of Clans, War of ages etc

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy

sixty_three #22 Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 22 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

2 out of 9 left and it looks like 5 of the leavers left very quickly which is pretty damning!

I remember what it was like when I 1st started and nearly quit so many times, dunno if WG are listening or if any of the CC’s can take it to them but they really need to improve the tutorial/training for new players.

I personally think they need to give them say 50? battles without seal clubbers, ratings battles for all tiers perhaps or only allow seal clubbers to play tiers I & II if they’re in a platoon.  Sure you’ll get re-rollers but that should mean they get to learn something.

Having said all that it may just be a symptom of mobile games, I’ve tons of games on my phone/iPad I only played a few games in or haven’t played in ages and that’s ignoring the deleted ones like Clash of Clans, War of ages etc

So, you see, you are an exceptional player as you were "one of the few" who kept playing!  

I'm curious as to what made you almost quit the game?  And what happened then to keep you battling?  

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

Mjr_Eazy #23 Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9123 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View Postsixty_three, on 22 November 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

So, you see, you are an exceptional player as you were "one of the few" who kept playing!  

I'm curious as to what made you almost quit the game?  And what happened then to keep you battling?  

Lol yeah exceptionally slow learner.

i nearly quit because of the following:

1. I just kept getting killed and didn’t seem to be getting any better

2. I got a lot of salty in game and post game messages, never anything constructive or positive

3. There were clearly some players who knew what they were doing and just farming new players, I didn’t know what a seal clubber was and often they were the worst offenders in #2

4. I didn’t know any better and rushed up tiers and bought a tier viii premium as I thought it must be easier to play with the better tanks at higher tiers and that made #1-3 even worse

5. I tried to join a clan, no one would have me as my stats were/are pretty bad.

so all the classic noob moves and at various points I felt i’d Had enough but a few things changed my mind

a. I’m pig headed and don’t like being abused and I wasn’t gonna back down to bullies

b. I got a message post game can’t remember who from now and they gave me some good advice on dropping down tiers & how to play and pointed me to the forums and videos

c. I found a clan who would have me and the lead taught me a lot, thanks SMcgGamer, and I platooned a bit with clan mates which helped.  It did confirm I’m a selfish player though and not really someone to platoon with a lot but that’s a different story.

d. I love tanks and I have a lot of fun and it gets me away from RL.  Although I may be addicted, the biggest threat now is the missus is fed up with me “playing that f’ing stupid tank game” :)

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

sixty_three #24 Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 22 November 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

Lol yeah exceptionally slow learner.

i nearly quit because of the following:

1. I just kept getting killed and didn’t seem to be getting any better

2. I got a lot of salty in game and post game messages, never anything constructive or positive

3. There were clearly some players who knew what they were doing and just farming new players, I didn’t know what a seal clubber was and often they were the worst offenders in #2

4. I didn’t know any better and rushed up tiers and bought a tier viii premium as I thought it must be easier to play with the better tanks at higher tiers and that made #1-3 even worse

5. I tried to join a clan, no one would have me as my stats were/are pretty bad.

so all the classic noob moves and at various points I felt i’d Had enough but a few things changed my mind

a. I’m pig headed and don’t like being abused and I wasn’t gonna back down to bullies

b. I got a message post game can’t remember who from now and they gave me some good advice on dropping down tiers & how to play and pointed me to the forums and videos

c. I found a clan who would have me and the lead taught me a lot, thanks SMcgGamer, and I platooned a bit with clan mates which helped.  It did confirm I’m a selfish player though and not really someone to platoon with a lot but that’s a different story.

d. I love tanks and I have a lot of fun and it gets me away from RL.  Although I may be addicted, the biggest threat now is the missus is fed up with me “playing that f’ing stupid tank game” :)

1. Ditto. 

2. Infrequently in my case, but still surprising (given I'd never played any MMO game before).  I was used to polite AI opponents!

3. Ditto.

4. I played a lot of Tier II battles after discovering there were many new maps to learn once one reached Tier III.

5. I did receive offers to join a couple of clans after I stopped playing incompetently on a regular basis.  They were kindly meant.  I like the complete freedom though of being a one man band.

What kept me playing?

a) I read up about trolls.  

b) I watched the game after being kille  through the gunsights of my teammates, and through that went on to learn that camping / sniping in a Tier II TD was a better strategy than yoloing to my death.  

c) I started reading and posting onto this forum,

d) I picked up again a habit of reading about tanks, which enthused me to play more Blitz. This tank warfare interest I had last indulged in when I was wargaming with metal miniatures back in the 70's and 80's.  

Edited by sixty_three, 22 November 2017 - 04:35 PM.

little_brother_of_war #25 Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 631 battles
  • [D-D-R]

I came over here to the EU from the NA server a few months back, just to check it out. This was after reading a thread from a tanker on the NA forums posting about being able to login and play here. He was encouraging other NA sever players to establish accounts on the EU server, so I thought I would do the same.

I started playing on the NA server after stumbling on to the app. This was in the early days back in 2014. I only played sporadically the first couple of years and picked up the pace this last year or so. I'm not a great player but am learning to hold my own, somewhat. Having stumbled onto the NA forums a while back has really given me a better perspective in understanding the game, the personalities, WG, the overall playerbase diversity and much more.

I'm only in the lower tiers here on the EU format and am quite comfortable there as well. I think I have a tier six tank and the rest are lower tier tanks. Maybe ten total.

I'm only picking tanks for my garage that I am familiar with the most and have tended to prefer from my NA tanking experience. This works ok for me now that I've learned I don't have to own every tank available and can grind or acquire them long enough to get to ones I really want.

I also keep a lookout for those premium tanks I like best, and manage to take pass on any offers that come around for ones that I don't really care about as much.

At any rate, it's been a good experience for me seeing how things go over here and it has been kind of a benefit not knowing any of the more identifiable, popular (and/or infamous) player names yet. That allows me to be a bit more aloof as to any particular drama type scenarios that might exist. If that makes any sense...just playing at a moderate pace and anonymously enjoying the hospitality of the EU tanking community.

I haven't read every post in this thread yet but hope to later and more thoroughly, but I do think that it would be important to consider any experienced players that may decide to come over from other servers to play, join in and participate within the community. They may be expecting to have the same accessibility to the game as anyone else and the idea of limiting new players could adversely affect the ability of those players, to have a quality experience.

Just a thought worth consideration. However, I understand much of the commentaries and sentiments I've managed to skim through here, so far, since I'm currently at work right now.

Good luck and happy tanking!

peace

_lbow_

>>>>===============+>  warpath chronicles  <+===============<<<<

Mjr_Eazy #26 Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9123 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Welcome little brother, that’s a good point we’ve not really considered it from the wider perspective although given the tank re-buy differences (another thread where there is some cross posting going on) and the responses I got from WG I don’t think WG care that much about differences between regions but the players would.  

I’d be interested to see what sort of response you got from the NA perspective around these topics and some of the suggestions, same for the other regions if anyone has accounts on them.

__Stinkfist__ #27 Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1899 battles
  • [VIVE]

WG should stop offering tier 8 premiums to players with less than 100 battles, it encourages rushing up the tiers IMO

Refugee from the NA server

Mjr_Eazy #28 Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9123 battles
  • [BT_SV]
If anyone reading this thread speaks any of the languages of the other communities or has accounts on other servers and can be rsed, it would be interesting to see the feedback if this was posted on their equivalent forum...

Tijgerhaai_XIV #29 Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 6860 battles
  • [ALBA]
I joined the game through wanting to play warships, never quite getting around to it. Saw blitz advertised in the windows store and thought wow, a game for both my pc and tablet.

So, downloaded it had real fun for the first few games, tier I was great. Then came tier II, and driving confusedly through Port Bay for the first time in a Ha-Go, I think, and met a T18 that bounced every shot and smashed me for 80% of my health in one blast. Naturally I sat there motionless continuing to ping shells off them until they reloaded.

So the challenge was set. How the hell did you play this game?

Sadly I resorted to the forums. Out of date word on the US street was the Hetzer was the best tank in game. Seemed a good tank to learn in.

That's what they said.

So some hundreds of games later I decided i hated case mate tds, and could not drive them. Decided to getting grind all non-td tanks and eventually found tier V, where dreams are made.

The game was difficult, yet there was always the promise that it would come good. I could not quit because otherwise that stinking turretless T18 would win again. One day I'll be purple and no td will ever kill me again. Then I'll quit :)

Birdistheword15 #30 Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 36415 battles
  • [BRIT6]
I have seen an increasing number of new player 123 etc of late with more games with more than 2 on the team.  Alot do little or no damage. More than 4 on the team and its a loss. Everytime.

Edited by Birdistheword15, 05 December 2017 - 10:11 AM.

Blue_Snail #31 Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4433 battles

View PostBirdistheword15, on 05 December 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

I have seen an increasing number of new player 123 etc of late with more games with more than 2 on the team.  Alot do little or no damage. More than 4 on the team and its a loss. Everytime.

Be thankful for the new players.  If they stick around, they are the ones who will keep this silly game going.

They are the ones who will pump cash into this game.

Fortunately, few of them come to the Forums, so they won't see these comments, hehe.

VonPottypoop #32 Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11810 battles
  • [FTC-1]
I actually believe that unlocking missions in tiers 1 to 4 then 5 to 10 as opposed to fixed tiers in principle is a good idea but ultimately it is destroying the lower tiers now. For instance today I started a new line with those French lights and in a battle in tier 2 mainly and a couple of tier 1 I saw a platoon from a very well known clan. I have 10,000 of my teams 11,000 games but this was strategic forcing of the game to have tier 1 and 2 only every game. They were using a T1 and Pz 2 with full prammo and between them they had 100k games. They effectively crucified the team in 2 mins and then had a tussle with me in the R35 which is good but not against prammo from both sides. I saw this time and time again today with platoons and I playing solo was truly miffed at how bad it’s got down there. So I went back up to the top three tiers. I said similar last night on RRBuilders discord site that something needs to change as it’s just open to extortion these days, as a fully seasoned player I think it’s getting harder but as a new player it’s just pointless.

​Very proud leader of the Fun-Tan-Clan 

mrpgilbert #33 Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 29020 battles
  • [AFK]
Any player can play any tier he has tanks in. That's the game. We all need to git gud. Are you saying I shouldn't try to, for example, ace my (sodding) Cruiser I because of new players? There's nothing new in people sealclubbing, and after suffering a tier VII potato festival, I'm likely to drop down to take the stress off.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

Mjr_Eazy #34 Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9123 battles
  • [BT_SV]
I have some sympathy with VPP as these seal clubbing toons are a nightmare but I do agree you should be able to drop down to de-noob/ace a tank but they should do something to help new players such as not allowing platoons with 2 players with both having more than 100 games or if there WR is above 50% to Toon in tiers i-iii.   That way if they want to Toon they’d have to do it with a new player and hopefully they’re not that sad they’d re-roll just for that...

Titus_Scato #35 Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 35500 battles
  • [1RTR]

IMO one of the main sealclubbing problems is the equipment system.  Dedicated sealclubbers will put Level 3 equipment on a Tier 2 tank.  IMO this should not be allowed.  What chance does a new player in Tier 2 stand against a sealclubber in a Cruiser III using Vstabs?

IMO the equipment system should be:

Level 1 equipment: All tanks.

Level 2 equipment: Tier 3 tanks and higher.

Level 3 equipment: Tier 6 tanks and higher.

VonPottypoop #36 Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11810 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 05 December 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

Any player can play any tier he has tanks in. That's the game. We all need to git gud. Are you saying I shouldn't try to, for example, ace my (sodding) Cruiser I because of new players? There's nothing new in people sealclubbing, and after suffering a tier VII potato festival, I'm likely to drop down to take the stress off.

No I don’t have a problem with genuine players denoobing or trying to Ace a tank but the said Clan is very well known and they both were purple players with over 100k games between them. On further investigation these people very rarely play solo and clearly know how to milk the system which they were doing. This is more frequent now since the mission format was changed and is been exploited by no longer just a few players but getting very noticeable as the norm. The Op was talking about progress of new players in the game and I know for one that with our new starters clan FTC-2 that we have lost around 2/3 of our players before they hit 400 games and 1/2 of all new starters before 100. When you ask why it’s always the same answer “It’s no fun losing all the time!” and these people that I came across today platooning to me are deliberately and falsely boosting stats that I really don’t think they would have if they had  played the vast majority of games solo. Yes it’s a hard game but it doesn’t matter if it’s an event or anything else these same people always come up with a loophole to take advantage.

Edited by VonPottypoop, 05 December 2017 - 09:20 PM.

​Very proud leader of the Fun-Tan-Clan 

sixty_three #37 Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

A quick progress report with the two beginners who were still playing the game at the time of my last update:

1. The one who zoomed up to Tier V has changed clans, is platooning about 30% of the time, and now has a 49% WR in the Luchs after nearly 50 battles.  The DR is .56, so they are still being carried. Historically overall they are improving slightly from a very low skill level (now 39% WR overall after c.  400 battles).

2. The more cautious, albeit inaccurate shooter, remained with their original clan. They have now reached 650 battles and have a 3rd class master scout award.  With a low overall survival rate of 16%, this person seems fond of yoloing? The overall WR has crept up to 42%, their best tank is a Pz II, in which they are still being carried (WR 48%, 3rd class award, DR of .35 after 120+ battles).

Neither have bought any premium vehicles, so that still leaves just one (Pz. B2) premium purchase by the original nine beginners. It doesn't feel like WG are getting that much money out of new starts.

It took me about 2-3 weeks to "git gud" in Tier II TD's, simply by copying the behaviour of teammates who were having success in the battle.  I'm not keen then on the idea beginners should be "chaperoned away" from very experienced tankers.  How are they going to learn what works? But... I would have liked back then to have had the choice of having more shooting practice against the bot tanks.  It would have boosted my confidence.  

Edited by sixty_three, 05 December 2017 - 10:42 PM.

Titus_Scato #38 Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 35500 battles
  • [1RTR]
I remember suggesting a long while back that Tier I and Tier X should have -0/+0 MM - i.e. they only fight tanks of their own tier.  Making Tier I a safer place for the newbies and Tier X the ultimate challenge for the good players.  With -0/+0 MM everyone has an equal chance, no-one is bottom tier.

mrpgilbert #39 Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 29020 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostVonPottypoop, on 05 December 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

No I don’t have a problem with genuine players denoobing or trying to Ace a tank but the said Clan is very well known and they both were purple players with over 100k games between them. On further investigation these people very rarely play solo and clearly know how to milk the system which they were doing. This is more frequent now since the mission format was changed and is been exploited by no longer just a few players but getting very noticeable as the norm. The Op was talking about progress of new players in the game and I know for one that with our new starters clan FTC-2 that we have lost around 2/3 of our players before they hit 400 games and 1/2 of all new starters before 100. When you ask why it’s always the same answer “It’s no fun losing all the time!” and these people that I came across today platooning to me are deliberately and falsely boosting stats that I really don’t think they would have if they had  played the vast majority of games solo. Yes it’s a hard game but it doesn’t matter if it’s an event or anything else these same people always come up with a loophole to take advantage.

But they are few and far between. Most players in all tiers I've played are normally useless. I agree, there is a handful of inveterate seal clubbers out there, but I've as little respect for them as for the yoloing dingbat in a Tiger II I took down today. 

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

Blue_Snail #40 Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4433 battles

View PostTitus_Scato, on 05 December 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

IMO one of the main sealclubbing problems is the equipment system.  Dedicated sealclubbers will put Level 3 equipment on a Tier 2 tank.  IMO this should not be allowed.  What chance does a new player in Tier 2 stand against a sealclubber in a Cruiser III using Vstabs?

IMO the equipment system should be:

Level 1 equipment: All tanks.

Level 2 equipment: Tier 3 tanks and higher.

Level 3 equipment: Tier 6 tanks and higher.

This limiting equipment to tier levels is a pretty good solution.

I'm mainly harvesting Rare Parts these days.  So I do 1 or 2 low tier battles, just enough to complete the missions, then leave.

So though I am a Seal Clubber, I don't hang around to repeat the dirty dead.

My T1 Cunningham is fully equipped and I use all the provisions.

Ranking 121, Battles 466, Winrate 67.6%

And if I am ranked 121, it means there are 120 people who are more ruthless than I.:playing:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users