• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

mrpgilbert #41 Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 29105 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostBlue_Snail, on 06 December 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

This limiting equipment to tier levels is a pretty good solution.

I'm mainly harvesting Rare Parts these days.  So I do 1 or 2 low tier battles, just enough to complete the missions, then leave.

So though I am a Seal Clubber, I don't hang around to repeat the dirty dead.

My T1 Cunningham is fully equipped and I use all the provisions.

Ranking 121, Battles 466, Winrate 67.6%

And if I am ranked 121, it means there are 120 people who are more ruthless than I.:playing:

Not bothered about equipping most tanks, and would die of boredom playing that many games in the T1 Cunningham...

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

Ted57_55 #42 Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 40359 battles
  • [1RTR_]
This thread has moved onto a discussion of seal clubbing. We were all clubbed once and battled on, partly demoralised but also partly inspired by the fact that someone scored 1000 dmg and 5 kills in a PzII. Personally, I doubt many people actually quit the game due to being clubbed. And if they do, then surely that's an MM issue as wouldn't you be with the Clubbers as often as against them?

sixty_three #43 Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

View Postmrpgilbert, on 06 December 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Not bothered about equipping most tanks, and would die of boredom playing that many games in the T1 Cunningham...

View PostTed57_55, on 06 December 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

This thread has moved onto a discussion of seal clubbing. We were all clubbed once and battled on, partly demoralised but also partly inspired by the fact that someone scored 1000 dmg and 5 kills in a PzII. Personally, I doubt many people actually quit the game due to being clubbed. And if they do, then surely that's an MM issue as wouldn't you be with the Clubbers as often as against them?

Why do beginners quit is a good question that I can't really answer from this little exercise.  However I am pretty sure one of the original "early quitters" did so in direct response to angry post-death chat from a sealclubber.  The beginner (who from their name, I took to being a middle aged female from a German-speaking country) capped relatively early on Copperfield, instead of "supporting" the irate sealclubber.  I suppose she had read the win objectives and thought that was the correct thing to do.  I did give polite advice (in English), but she still capped and died at the end after the rest of the team had been overwhelmed. 

My other comment is that the beginners weren't all using Tier I tanks.  The aforementioned beginner was driving a Pz. II.  Which I think is a fairly smart thing to do, unless Titus's suggestion of -0/+0 MM is ever implemented.

I don't expect to play a Tier I again, unless a new country line is introduced. As I just think it would be tedious.  My sole Tier II tank is the T7 CC, which I take out for a spin every now and then just because it us different, rather than particularly any good.

Edited by sixty_three, 06 December 2017 - 04:14 PM.

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

Ted57_55 #44 Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:33 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 40359 battles
  • [1RTR_]
Thanks sixty_three. It sounds like you saw one issue of abuse and made the conclusion that the abuse lead to the quitting, but that is purely speculation. Alternatively, they may not have liked the game that much. I suspect that WG would not be too disappointed with a drop out rate of 90%. It sounds huge to us, but so long as new people keep starting playing, then WG are probably quite happy to milk the 10% that hang around. Whether they can improve the retention rate is hard to say. One of the things to balance in that picture is that new gamers realise quite quickly that they can get onto tiers 2, 3 and 4 very fast. Whilst they would all be better off playing tier 1 and 2 for a couple of hundred games, how many would actually want to do that? Whilst we all remember getting clubbed and not liking it, also remember how excited you were to get your first tier 3 (a PZ IIIa in my case), let alone your first tier 4? That rapid move through the bottom of the techtree is part of the early addiction for most of the 10% that hang around, I am quite sure.

sixty_three #45 Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

You're welcome Ted.

Thinking back to my own experience, I wondered very early on whether I should stop playing.  At that point I was quite clueless about strategy and tactics, beyond driving towards the red spawn, stopping as soon as I saw anybody, then start shooting.  Once I learned to stop doing that, the next unpleasant surprise was receiving offensive messages from dead sealclubbers, sometimes followed up by private messages.  Just from 4 people, so a very small minority.  I think these people, if not outright trolls, have a sense of entitlement to a victory if they are playing at the lowest tiers.  And just can't handle losing because, surprise, surprise, a very inexperienced player doesn't know how to play well.  So I would disable post-death chat for any battle featuring Tier I or II tanks.  

I know the norm for new players is to rise quickly up the tiers.  I didn't do this as I wanted to become competent with Tier II vehicles on familiar maps.  A brief foray to Tier III was unnerving as I didn't know what to do on the wide range of new maps.  However by this stage I was reading this forum, and had seen the received wisdom anyway of progressing slowly.  So in my case I did play hundreds of battles, mostly at Tier II, before making a concerted effort at Tier III. (The key tank for me actually was the Valentine II). Anyway, I guess most players don't read this forum, and hence never get this advice.  

The WG CEO was recently reported to remark that once a player had played Blitz for 10 weeks, they were then unlikely to quit.

Your suggestion that it's just 10% of all new starts sounds plausible.  It would be a shame though if this 10% didn't include people who could potentially be decent future players.  The key requirement I think of a new player is a willingness to learn.  Those that aren't that way inclined I'm not bothered about.  Conversely though I think the key responsibility of current, experienced players is to give these new starts a chance.  Partly by providing useful info., a function that some helpful people using this forum do give.  And partly by just behaving well if there are inexperienced people fighting alongside them in the lower tiers.

Thus endeth the sermon :)

Edited by sixty_three, 06 December 2017 - 06:09 PM.

Mjr_Eazy #46 Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9168 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Sixty_three’s post reminded me of the early days - charging up to 1st red spotting and trading hp until one of us blew up.  As it’s generally the yolo-er who dies maybe that’s a big contributer to people leaving as it’s one of the reasons for a dying a lot in the beginning?

Having said that,  things were so much simpler than having to worry about yolo-ing, stats of red tanks, their disposition, rng, hull down, side scraping ya da yah...

I understand now why I still yolo as I just want to blow some stuff up without thinking :) - apologies to my teams where I have yolo-ed.

We need a Yolo-er’s anonymous...

Hi, I’m Major Eazy and I yolo...

For any newcomers reading this - yolo is to charge off to take on reds on your own without any support of your team.  Whilst my post is tongue in cheek, it really is a bad idea and you should not do it.

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy

Kribor_9 #47 Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1626 battles
  • [B-B-B]

One thing that piss me off, when playing, is that some players call other players “noobs” or worse. That could make me quit this otherwise exiting game. Sure there are some newcomers in the game, otherwise the game would close down, and those “good” players calling other all sorts of thing could play with their alikes, and what fun would that be ? Please make room for the new players to learn the game, they might be better later. 

sixty_three #48 Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

View PostKribor_9, on 29 December 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

One thing that piss me off, when playing, is that some players call other players “noobs” or worse. That could make me quit this otherwise exiting game. Sure there are some newcomers in the game, otherwise the game would close down, and those “good” players calling other all sorts of thing could play with their alikes, and what fun would that be ? Please make room for the new players to learn the game, they might be better later. 

That was also my experience when I started playing Blitz.  These "good" players, as you refer, who abuse relative beginners (< 1000 battles) are really trolls.  Part of what you have to learn when you play this game is, unfortunately, how to deal with these people.  Silence is the safest response IMO.

mrpgilbert #49 Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 29105 battles
  • [AFK]

Ignore them, mate. Give them a MH downvote after the game, which will stick occasionally, but otherwise ignore them. Everyone is a noob sometimes. Being a newbie is a different thing. However, do please learn the basics of shooting and driving in the entry-level tiers before moving on. This is guaranteed to increase your pleasure in the game.

Be nice to me..

philholt101b #50 Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:52 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 4526 battles
  • [ALBA]

Ignore them plain and simple, you’ll find most of those screaming noob at you aren’t that good themselves my 4500 games don’t mean that much but I’m getting better lol. What you will find is some of the better players will chat to you if you ask I do and will always try to help,a new player out if they want to. Listen to what mrpgilbert says he really is one of the good guys on here

Edited by philholt101b, 29 December 2017 - 08:53 PM.

mrpgilbert #51 Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 29105 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postphilholt101b, on 29 December 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

Ignore them plain and simple, you’ll find most of those screaming noob at you aren’t that good themselves my 4500 games don’t mean that much but I’m getting better lol. What you will find is some of the better players will chat to you if you ask I do and will always try to help,a new player out if they want to. Listen to what mrpgilbert says he really is one of the good guys on here

Aw, shucks, and here was me thinking I was a cynical old grumpy bastard...

Be nice to me..

VonPottypoop #52 Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:39 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11915 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 29 December 2017 - 11:16 PM, said:

In your opinion!

​Very proud leader of the Fun-Tan-Clan 

VonPottypoop #53 Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11915 battles
  • [FTC-1]
Must try harder to be more Salty next year  MrpGilbert...he’s a great guy really.

Edited by VonPottypoop, 29 December 2017 - 11:51 PM.

​Very proud leader of the Fun-Tan-Clan 

Mjr_Eazy #54 Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:04 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 9168 battles
  • [BT_SV]

There’s your New Years resolution sorted, try and be as cynical and grumpy as you think you are, you’ve got the old bit covered ;)

Edited by Mjr_Eazy, 30 December 2017 - 12:05 AM.

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy

Tijgerhaai_XIV #55 Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 6994 battles
  • [ALBA]

View PostVonPottypoop, on 30 December 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

Must try harder to be more Salty next year  MrpGilbert...he’s a great guy really.

Lies.

sixty_three #56 Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:18 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

"If a man sticks with our game for ten weeks, then he stays almost forever." - Victor Kislyi, Wargaming

Well Victor...after monitoring a selection of nine new players for almost nine weeks now, I think you’ve just got one original player left.  Retiree #8 appears to have rage quit the game a week before Xmas, after having a losing streak of at least 7 battles in a Matilda, their highest tier tank.  Their low hit rate (47%) and low HPB (2.5) after nearly 50 battles suggests to me they weren’t using the accurate, fast-firing 2-pdr.  Feels more like a lousy shot who was trying to use the derp gun?

Anyway, the last man standing out of the original nine is zooming up the tiers. Now almost exclusively fighting in the Leopard (below average) and T37 (bad WN8 rating).  I’ll give a final report on him, and my thoughts about the whole exercise once the ten weeks are up...

philholt101b #57 Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 4526 battles
  • [ALBA]

the grumpy old bastard is normally me especially now my daughters told me I’m going to be a grandad lol. Life over and wallet empty 

Edited by philholt101b, 30 December 2017 - 09:15 AM.

agm_114_hellfire #58 Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19077 battles
  • [N2KU]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 05 December 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

IMO one of the main sealclubbing problems is the equipment system.  Dedicated sealclubbers will put Level 3 equipment on a Tier 2 tank.  IMO this should not be allowed.  What chance does a new player in Tier 2 stand against a sealclubber in a Cruiser III using Vstabs?

IMO the equipment system should be:

Level 1 equipment: All tanks.

Level 2 equipment: Tier 3 tanks and higher.

Level 3 equipment: Tier 6 tanks and higher.

i have full equipment in bt7 arty 

Tier X- T110E5-Leopard 1-FV4202-Object 140-IS7-E50M-T57 Heavy

sixty_three #59 Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8287 battles

At least 10 weeks have now passed since all the beginners I’ve been monitoring first started playing Blitz.  There’s been one potentially significant development.

The person (retiree #8) who apparently quit just before Xmas started playing again a few days ago.  This time back at Tier II, mostly in a Pz. II. Platooning now around 70%, they are having their best results ever.  WR is c. 50%, and the hit rate is now 71%.  Second class mastery to boot.  I’m pleasantly surprised!  

The other player though is now exclusively playing at Tier VI, still badly.  58 battles, 29% WR.  This is not a serial AFK player, just someone quite out of their depth.

I’ve formed a no. of opinions about beginners as a result of this exercise, which I’ll summarise later.  But I won’t be following any of these folk again, as ten weeks in, two are no longer beginners, and the other seven have quit.

mrpgilbert #60 Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 29105 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postsixty_three, on 09 January 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

At least 10 weeks have now passed since all the beginners I’ve been monitoring first started playing Blitz.  There’s been one potentially significant development.

The person (retiree #8) who apparently quit just before Xmas started playing again a few days ago.  This time back at Tier II, mostly in a Pz. II. Platooning now around 70%, they are having their best results ever.  WR is c. 50%, and the hit rate is now 71%.  Second class mastery to boot.  I’m pleasantly surprised!  

The other player though is now exclusively playing at Tier VI, still badly.  58 battles, 29% WR.  This is not a serial AFK player, just someone quite out of their depth.

I’ve formed a no. of opinions about beginners as a result of this exercise, which I’ll summarise later.  But I won’t be following any of these folk again, as ten weeks in, two are no longer beginners, and the other seven have quit.

Sounds like a fairly normal churn rate.

Be nice to me..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users