Helpful Battle Result Screen?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Knickerson #1 Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 21631 battles
  • [ICN]

Hey all, thanks for filling out the that survey for important stat after battle, http://forum.wotblit...d-of-each-game/

I was wondering if there could be a more helpful battle results screen to help inexperienced players focus on better gameplay—however you might define that—and so based on your input in the topic above, I threw together a few examples. It wouldn't necessarily replace the current battle result screen, just possibly a flash screen, similar to when you accomplish a mission. Here's what I came up with, what do you think? If you were starting out, trying to improve, and saw a screen like these after a game, would it help you focus on the right kind of gameplay?

I didn't know if the damage or assisted damage stat was more important for a light tank, so I thought I'd vary it a bit from the other screens.

EDIT: I made up the player base average for xp, since I couldn't find the stat anywhere on blitzstars.

I'm just having fun, brainfarting, so if you have farts of your own to contribute, feel free.

Edited by Knickerson, 29 November 2017 - 07:36 PM.

A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse! ...
I have set my life upon a cast,
and I will stand the hazard of a die.

William Shakespeare
Richard III – Act 5, scene 4

Y4533N #2 Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23285 battles
  • [XL]

Would be nice to see ace threshold too. 

Wg please consider my ideas.     Clan Leader of [XL] EXCEL

* 3 way matchmaking toggle (Encounter only, Supremacy only or Random). * When the game loads the map, show the map angle from each teams spawn locations rather then guess. Buff to STRV. * Implement a in a "Platoon" & in a "Match" indicator (we also will be needing an "unavailable" indicator for our solo friends and in a "t.room" indicator in our friends list) * WR & Battle count (Career and Tank stats) next to clan tag for the green team (There is plenty of space).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          "When I die, I want WG to lower me in the Grave so they can let me down one last time"  - Y4533N.  :teethhappy:

minitelrose #3 Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 47576 battles
  • [AFK]

Very nice effort, you should work for WG,

lol

more seriously, I’m ambivalent. The complete absence of WG regarding teaching players is more than they don’t care about it. It’s a policy, or a philosophy. Significant stats are most always hidden somewhere. Made up metrics are always put forward like the old personal level (or whatever it was called). 

The good side is you craft your own goals, your understanding of the game.

The bad side is you can go circles for 40.000 games and never meet the reason why games are won or lost. 

I do think we need good metrics for understanding games, unfortunately they aren’t provided by the api or the team result board. 

vbaddict made an attempt long time ago, by analyzing 100.000s of replays, but it has been abandoned for years, and the guy left the game and sold the website. 

Edited by minitelrose, 29 November 2017 - 10:36 PM.

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

soulinthemachine #4 Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 24641 battles
  • [EIRE]

Damage and assisted damage could both be shown I would guess .- maybe assist in brackets.

Nicely done by the way.

Black__Legion #5 Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:35 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 7408 battles
  • [ALBAB]

I don’t know ...

First, great effort and idea Kickerson.  Please don’t let what I’m about to say take away from that.

I didn’t answer your poll because some options were missing (like assistance damage) and I was only allowed one option.  While a 5k damage game is something to be proud of, it doesn’t tell the entire story.  One stat doesn’t quantity everything, even when broken up per class.  A short example: I like to use my lights as damage dealers as well as scouts, so If I manage a 500 damage/3k assistant damage one game but turn around and do 2.5k damage/300 assistant damage game the next and both are losses; which game is the better one?

There is also the (not so rare) games where simply holding a flank with minimal damage while outnumbered but preforming a stopping action on the reds push buys enough time for the green flank to secure a win by getting behind the bogged down reds.  Is is fair to say that the person holding off the push,  not doing much damage but making an important contribution to a win has no quantified reward?  Don’t get me wrong, the guys that got around fast and did a truck ton of damage deserve their xp reward, but by not getting run over by the push using proper technique like hull down and side scrape should also have a reward, even if it’s some (mostly) unimportant numbers on the results screen.  Again, which is the better game, the successful stopping action, or the huge damage made as a result of that stopping action?

It would be nice to see some class specific numbers on the results screen, but I still think it’s to hard to pin an actual number on “proper” gameplay.

Edited by Black__Legion, 30 November 2017 - 06:40 AM.

No longer a paying customer!

reekoiler #6 Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11696 battles
  • [ACES_]

For all that, damage (and, from that, average damage) must be the decisive stat.   You are right, Black_ Legion, that it doesn’t tell the whole story but nor does any reasonably digestible set of battle results.   In fact, nor does any set.   You might as well have no results at all if that’s the aim, and instead have some narrative verdict delivered by an all-seeing robot judge and running on for several pages thusly:

’Knickerson excelled himself in his Chaffee, drawing attention, distracting the enemy, popping up at inconvenient times and chipping away at the reds’ health pool, while minitelrose contributed next to nothing, being preoccupied, as he frequently is, by a distracting whimsy the fruits of which we may never see, or understand even if we do.’ etc. etc.

Edited by reekoiler, 30 November 2017 - 08:06 AM.

Knickerson, my apologies.

MaXSty1er #7 Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

Lance-corporal

• Administrator
  • 288 battles

Hey, that is interesting, but it is very poor stats because MT, for example, can play really well and see red numbers after the battle (some MTs are good for damage, some of them a good for other things)

One more example - you hold a flank one vs 3-4 tanks, you can't damage a lot, but you are really helpful because you give advantage and time to your mates.

So I think the Exp is the best value for that, isn't it?

mrpgilbert #8 Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27142 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostMaXSty1er, on 30 November 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Hey, that is interesting, but it is very poor stats because MT, for example, can play really well and see red numbers after the battle (some MTs are good for damage, some of them a good for other things)

One more example - you hold a flank one vs 3-4 tanks, you can't damage a lot, but you are really helpful because you give advantage and time to your mates.

So I think the Exp is the best value for that, isn't it?

Something that might help people to understand their role would be useful. I don't know what your heatmaps say, but there does seem to be an increasing tendency for LT not to spot, for MT to sit behind the HT rather than flank, for players to huddle together at spawn. 

Maybe, and this is a random thought, new players could be insulated for their first 100 or so games. Apparently playing in the full game, but only with other players at the same level. You might need a mechanism to enable rerollers to avoid this paddling pool, or have an automated trigger that shifts players into the mainstream if they hit certain metrics.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

Knickerson #9 Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 21631 battles
  • [ICN]

Thanks all for your comments. Let me say, no need to worry about my ego, feel free to tear it apart. There are people here who understand this far better than I do. 

I agree with minitelrose—more could be done by WG to help players learn and understand the game better. Watch tutorials for gold or parts, grind to a series of tutorial missions to get a low-tier freemium, host training room programs with bot targets, teach basic defensive positions, e.g., sidescraping, hulldown, facehugging, etc., with freemium rewards ... the list goes on. 

The premise the screens above is to answer the question quickly, "How am I doing compared to everyone else in the ways that matter the most?" So if an inexperience player is playing a heavy and sees red numbers on his damage counter, he might think, I need to do more damage, and so change his behavior on the battlefield to get green, blue or purple numbers.

Black Legion, I agree about the survey, I just wanted enough info to make the screens so we forumers could react to them. And yes, you and reekoiler raise a good point. Making the choice to sacrifice your tank for the team is, in my book, a very high skill level to attain.

Maxsty1er, thanks for joining the conversation, yes xp might be the best stat to show the value of that kind of strategic decision-making. And I think many players don't really know what exactly goes into making the xp score in the first place.

William Shakespeare

Knickerson #10 Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 21631 battles
  • [ICN]
Just wanted to add—Assisted Damage is not a stat that is recorded elsewhere outside the actual game itself. Not on WOTB nor Blitzstars. Should it not be?

William Shakespeare

Acids_Burn #11 Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 26667 battles
  • [EMRS]
I just want WG to show us "blocked damage" after each battle and times we aced each tank.

Edited by Acids_Burn, 30 November 2017 - 03:13 PM.

I do know that the way i express myself to some, if not most, people sound a bit too...aggressive? salty? rude?... but this is the way i speak and the way my thought train rolls...so...yeah...i'm not trying to insult anyone or pick up any fights.

">http://www.blitzstar...u/532956899.png[/img][/url]                    

Peddy_tanj_it #12 Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:39 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 40513 battles
  • [TANG]

Not sure about this showing the level of the player against the average. It might mean that new players are disheartened and give up as they are unlikely to be near average for quite some time. So not showing these stats for a 100+ games is a good idea 

The idea of trying to teach people what the role of different tanks should be is a good idea. Though I have had one of my best games playing against type, using a Death Star like a light because the rest of my team was camping and I got bored. So I yoloed out taking snapshots and with a lots of luck and 4 ammo racks later I got my mastery medal . 

The idea of having more WG tutorials is a good idea the existing one just lets you have the absolute minimum of game controls to play the game. Which for the starting players is fine. But perhaps a new tutorial for each new tier might be useful. So when you buy you first tier II tank you get offered a tutorial tier III another. 

But showing the XP, damage done, spots, kills is a good idea and I like it.. 

Titus_Scato #13 Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:01 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 33346 battles
  • [1RTR]
Instead of showing the average for the entire player base, how about showing the average for players with roughly the same amount of battles as you?  Then you could have an ever-increasing target to aim for.

C_Me_Rowlling #14 Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:35 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10558 battles
  • [TAC]

View PostAcids_Burn, on 30 November 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

I just want WG to show us "blocked damage" after each battle and times we aced each tank.

Yep-agreed! Are you even rewarded for bounces other than a medal for the 10th? 

It's underwhelming to bounce 2 Deathstar shots in a match and just forget it at the end result..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users