IrmaBecx #1 Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25859 battles
  • [AFK]

Original Hype - Considering the Type 59

By:

IrmaBecx

From what I’ve managed to understand of the Blitz Fair, you could end up paying truly extortionate amounts of money for the Type 59 this holiday season. I ate noodles for weeks to be able to afford mine last time it was on sale in a regular bundle, which if I’m not mistaken was a little more than a year ago.

Still, with a bundle you at least get to see the price tag beforehand, and you know exactly what you are getting. And even though I thought it was ridiculously overpriced even back then, I would still do it again any day of the week, because it’s easily one of the best purchases I ever made in the game.

I drove almost 500 games in the Hype to date; it’s my fifth most driven tank ever. As far as Premiums, I’ve only gotten more mileage out of the Panther/M10, and I’ve had that one longer.

So yeah, I’m a Chinese convert, and I have been for a long time. I think the 59 is way overpriced, and anyone who buys one should really have their head examined. But if you, like me, are dumb enough to dole out the cash, then I am sympathetic to that, because I mean it’s a great tank. Really fantastic. A true legend.

With that caveat, I thought I’d have a quick look at the old 59, for any prospective buyers out there thinking about making the economic mistake of their life, or any lucky player who happen to get one for free in some manner during the fair. I cannot stress enough I think the “get one free” tactic is the one you should be pursuing.

Hype Life

So what is the Type 59, and why is it so good?

Well, basically it’s a tier VIII T-54 with a stock 100 mm gun on it. The only difference, really, is 20 mm of frontal armour, 10 mm of turret side armour, 300 hitpoints, and 200 horsepower. Oh, and the 59 gets seven degrees of gun depression.

Also it’s Chinese, which usually means Russian but not quite as good. I’m sure I will have reason to revise that opinion when the actual Chinese Medium tank tree finally drops, but the lasting impression of the Type 59 is a tuned down Russian Medium tank.

If you hear “tier VIII T-54” and think a tier IX tank at tier VIII, you’d be wrong. It’s not that strong. But if you think a tier VIII version of a tier IX tank you’d be on the right track.

It’s not a fire breathing Russian brawler Medium moved down a tier, it’s more like driving a stock T-54 with +0 -2 matchmaking.

Hype Love

This is actually the main reson I like the Hype so much. It’s not a high strung sports tank; it’s a solid and dependable beater; a daily driver in the truest sense of the word.

It’s not super fast, it doesn’t have massive firepower, and it’s not quite as agile as the Russians are. But the thing is it has a very decent armour profile, and there isn’t a single thing the Type 59 does especially badly. It doesn’t have any key weaknesses or quirks you need to work around.

In fact, it doesn’t really have any weaknesses at all.

So when you come home from grinding your latest obsession, tired from getting beat all the time, and you just want to settle down, drive a few games and maybe make a few credits, that’s exactly the kind of tank you want to go for. Something simple, well balanced, easy to drive, and able to deal with pretty much any map, game mode, or team setup.

I think the whole “Chinese knock-off” thing is pretty funny, but my love for the 59 has very little to do with philosophy or aesthetics, it’s all very pragmatic. I like the Type 59 because it’s a simple, robust vehicle, it’s a great all rounder, and if you’ve ever seen or heard about a Russian Medium tank with sloped armour, you can pretty much drive it already. There are tanks I like on general principle, or for curious and roundabout reasons, but this one I mostly just like because it works.

Posted Image

The Bottom Line

Is it going to work for you? I don’t see why it wouldn’t. The thing with the turret and front plate is easy to learn, and the rest is just standard Medium playstyles.

Quite simply, the Type 59 is one of the best all rounders in the game; may be even the best. It’s not overpowered, but like I said it doesn’t really have any weaknesses at all either. If you like your Medium tanks, and you don’t mind post war designs, there’s really no way you can go wrong with it.

If you heard the Hype 59 is OP, and you want to stat your pads a little with it, then I think that’s a mistake. The Hype doesn’t really do anything differently from other Medium tanks, it just does everything with a little less effort, and there’s really nothing it can’t do.

I still think I’m a complete idiot for paying so much money for a pixel tank, and I’m not proud of myself for doing it or anything like that. But I also have to be honest and say owning the Type 59 has been one of the best things I’ve done, because it’s so dependable, so accessible, and it just works every time.

So if you can get a good deal, or you manage to get lucky in some way, IrmaBecx says don’t hesitate making it your daily driver.

If you don’t get lucky, and end up paying through the nose for one, IrmaBecx says I feel for you, and I told you not to do it. Welcome to the club, and yes, that’s the “more money that brains, and I’m not saying I’m rich”-club.

Norinco Power!

Edited by IrmaBecx, 22 December 2017 - 12:30 PM.

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Rhanzezo #2 Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:01 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19389 battles
  • [MK]

Well said! Mine is now at 3k battles, so I literally haven't found anything more enjoyable to play for the whole time I've spent playing this game. I don't regret getting the 50€ bundle. The reason for that is last year's blitz fair from which I got the E25 using some of the 6k gold that came with the bundle. Effectively, I bought a 30€ tank and got another one with some of the 20€ worth of gold and was left with a big bunch of free xp since I converted most of that 6k during the +20% conversion offer period. I doubt the hype 59 will be sold again accompanied purely by gold. It may be boosters next time... 

All I want for the Type now is for WG to not buff its armor any more (they gave it extra turret roof armor in 4.2), but rather the gun stats and I'm talking about the future. It's competitive for now, which is remarkable considering it was introduced three years ago with pref. mm.

And perhaps a legendary camo wouldnt hurt as long as its something subtle, like some chinese lettering on the turret side and a light camo. :))

IrmaBecx #3 Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25859 battles
  • [AFK]

Did they not buff the gun already? I could have sworn the 59 used to have 175 AP penetration...

And yeah, a classy camo would be nice, although I already bought the green digital camo for mine.

Edited by IrmaBecx, 22 December 2017 - 06:11 PM.

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Rhanzezo #4 Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19389 battles
  • [MK]
I went digging on some 2015 threads and it had 181mm on its AP as on PC. I dont know very much about its state before 2016 though. I guess people mostly buy the Type 59 for the hype so stats come second anyway. It's like a status symbol to many, it's the only thing I dont like about it. 

IrmaBecx #5 Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25859 battles
  • [AFK]

I must just be remembering wrong, then.

And yeah, they don't call it the "Hype 59" for nothing. :)

Napybara #6 Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:03 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21500 battles
  • [GARK]

It's lovely tank.

When it was first time offered I was like: "Whoaa. The most expensive tank ever. 50e. Quite a lot. Let's get it".

I never regretted getting it. It lovely piece and these days looks like 50e is not much in WoT Blitz.

IrmaBecx #7 Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25859 battles
  • [AFK]
Quite so. In fact, the last two tanks I've been really interested in I haven't been able to get, because I didn't know how much I would end up having to actually pay for them, and I can't make economic decisions like that. That's just silly. Granted, with the Kpz 70 there was like a maximum amount you could pay and then you were guaranteed to actually get the tank, but that was, what, like four or five times the price of the Hype 59 bundle? I mean come on.

Napybara #8 Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21500 battles
  • [GARK]

Well. I have Kpz 70 :) Tried one bundle, no luck, so I had to place myself within top 1000. Ended up on around 533rd place :) Wouldn't spend that much silly money on it.

Rhanzezo #9 Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19389 battles
  • [MK]
I tried my luck with a chest as well and then somehow made it to the 945th place by playing the trusty ol' Sherman. What got my attention about the Kpz was how it has that MBT feel. Granted, it's classified as a heavy but it can go beyond the limits of an average one as long as theres team support to compensate for the bad dpm. It can be flexible in the hands of a good player. Needless to say, I love all-rounders and DPM can be sacrificed if the tank's mobility and armor allows for controlled engagements. The rushing teams at tier 8 though don't always... :D

Napybara #10 Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21500 battles
  • [GARK]
Kpz 70 is funny tank. Lowest DPM in tier while I have highest DPM in tier comparing to other T9 I have (all but Foch) :D

Rhanzezo #11 Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19389 battles
  • [MK]
At least it hits hard ;) and looks mad fine. The time reloading can be spent admiring the tank..

Knickerson #12 Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 31908 battles
  • [ICN]
Love, love, love this tank. Took down a Leo Pta in a one-on-one brawl with it the other day. At first, we were trading shots, until I moved in and kept the front of my turret in its face. Then it was his bounce to my dmg. Not bad.
Cry "Havoc,"
And let slip the dogs of war.

William Shakespeare
Julius Caesar – Act 3, scene 1

Rhanzezo #13 Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:05 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19389 battles
  • [MK]

The Sino-Soviet Sidehug :B

Edited by Rhanzezo, 24 December 2017 - 01:09 AM.

IrmaBecx #14 Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25859 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostRhanzezo, on 24 December 2017 - 03:05 AM, said:

The Sino-Soviet Sidehug :B

Yesss! Best trick in the book. :)

b48g55m #15 Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:39 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25919 battles
  • [CROWD]

Thank you Irma. I have been open to a Tier VIII Prem purchase and T59 is on of them. Next possibility is SuperPersh followed by the Duck. If T59 is there for direct sale i'll buy it, but not via any gambling system, where the purchase is not guaranteed.

IrmaBecx #16 Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25859 battles
  • [AFK]
I can say the Super Pershing is totally worth it also. It's kind of slow, but that armour is really effective now, and you can fight off much stronger opponents with a bit of wiggling, angling, or hull down magic.

Ohidontcare1 #17 Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 37203 battles
  • [AFK]

Thanks Irma,

stopped me buying a new tank and will take out mine more as it’s well underplayed.

i was lucky I got mine when they made a mistake in the pricing when they first launched it and thanks to Cornish (I think ) got it for a snip.....

Edited by Ohidontcare1, 24 December 2017 - 06:13 PM.

Rhanzezo #18 Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19389 battles
  • [MK]
I need to you to tell me since I'm not certain.. Does the turret armor work at tier 9 as well? There's a lot of it ^^

IrmaBecx #19 Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25859 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostRhanzezo, on 25 December 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

I need to you to tell me since I'm not certain.. Does the turret armor work at tier 9 as well? There's a lot of it ^^

This is the Type 59 peeking over a ridge and getting shot by a tier X Leopard 1:

Posted Image

As you can see, the edges of the turret have over 400 mm of effective armour; that will bounce a death star. Not that you'll ever meet one, but still. It's a sturdy turret. As you can see though, there are "gaps" in the armour on either side of the gun, that's where the turret face flattens out, and it's more like 220 mm, especially if you're not using your gun depression. It's a tricky shot, but you need to be aware, because you can be penned straight through the turret, and so you need to keep moving side to side.

You'll want to be at an angle anyway to maximise your front plate. Note the APCR above bounces because of the angle, but switching to heat looks different:

Posted Image

You're not going to do better than about 300 mm effective armour at any kind of decent angle before it goes to autobounce anyway, and a lot of tier IX tanks have more than 300 mm of penetration. The front plate isn't reliable unless you use the gun depression, and really, it's the turret that's going to get you the most bounce for your buck so any time you can hide the hull is good.

This, by the way is what I mean by "the thing with the turret and the front plate".

So TLDR:

Yes, the turret armour works at tier IX as well, especially hull down.

Edited by IrmaBecx, 25 December 2017 - 09:43 PM.

IrmaBecx #20 Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 25859 battles
  • [AFK]

For the record,

The fact the turret has more than 400 mm of effective armour does not mean I think anyone should spend hundreds of pounds trying to get one. Remember the bundle was maybe 50 euros, and I consider myself of limited mental capacity for having paid that much. That should be your benchmark for spending: if you can get it for less, then at least you didn't get as fleeced as the rest of us. If you're going to spend more, I will say at least speak to your parents about it first; maybe they can talk you out of it, because there is no way the tank is going to be worth it. It's just not. 

It's a good tank, yes. But it's just a tier VIII Medium tank. Made out of pixels.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users