tank philosophy type 59 Hype

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Jammytwss212 #21 Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 28668 battles
  • [TWSS]
I used to want the type 59 but I don't see the point anymore, for me, as I have the t54 mod 1 which is basically the same tank.

Rhanzezo #22 Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16682 battles
  • [MK]

Thx for the detailed answer! ;) I don't really enjoy heavy tank gameplay, I only like armor when it doesn't cost me all my mobility but in turn only works when you make it work. Good turret armor coupled with the 7° of gd make the type a dream to play since there's hull-down spots all over every map. And the upper plate can be used boldly to bait shots. However, the armor in no way makes the Type 59 OP since one really needs to be using all aspects of this tank to compensate for the lack of DPM. So if sb is looking for godmode armor on a "med", go for the mod 1 :D

IrmaBecx #23 Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21846 battles
  • [IRMA]

I have to agree, and I often say I am a "Medium player at heart" and things like that. It's just my preferred playstyle.

Like you say; you need to use all aspects of the 59 in order for it to work properly, and what I think makes it so good is that none of those aspects can really be considered a weakness.

The T-54 Mod. 1 is a similar tank but also different. It's hull is more more robust, but it's not as fast and agile, the turret isn't quite as strong, and you have to work with 5 degrees of gun depression. Like Jammytwss212 I found it too similar to the 59 to be an option for me. 

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Cornish_Dyowl #24 Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29522 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostOhidontcare1, on 24 December 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

Thanks Irma,

stopped me buying a new tank and will take out mine more as it’s well underplayed.

i was lucky I got mine when they made a mistake in the pricing when they first launched it and thanks to Cornish (I think ) got it for a snip.....

We were definitely lucky to be online when they first released it for £14.99.  It was a shame we didn’t have Discord then to help spread the news of WG’s mistake before they realised and corrected it...

I also remember making the mistake of driving it for the first time during our clan countdown session that week.  Got ammo-racked within the first 5 minutes :amazed:

Edited by Cornish_Dyowl, 27 December 2017 - 02:57 PM.

Proud to be a Deputy Lead of AFK / IRMA.

IrmaBecx #25 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21846 battles
  • [IRMA]

View PostCornish_Dyowl, on 27 December 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

We were definitely lucky to be online when they first released it for £14.99.  It was a shame we didn’t have Discord then to help spread the news of WG’s mistake before they realised and corrected it...

I also remember making the mistake of driving it for the first time during our clan countdown session that week.  Got ammo-racked within the first 5 minutes :amazed:

In retrospect, that does have quite a bit of poetic justice. At least not every Hype 59 owner got fleeced.

And are you sure your mistake wasn't showing your right side? ;)

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Cornish_Dyowl #26 Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29522 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 27 December 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

In retrospect, that does have quite a bit of poetic justice. At least not every Hype 59 owner got fleeced.

And are you sure your mistake wasn't showing your right side? ;)

Oh I’m pretty sure it was my mistake... and yes I probably did.   Was it you blowing me to kingdom come by any chance?

IrmaBecx #27 Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21846 battles
  • [IRMA]

View PostCornish_Dyowl, on 27 December 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Oh I’m pretty sure it was my mistake... and yes I probably did.   Was it you blowing me to kingdom come by any chance?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't?

EDIT: I mean Pics or it didn't happen!

While we're on the subject:

The above is intended as a short review of the Type 59; not a guide as such, but this bears repeating for any prospective buyer or new owner. Once again I turn to Armour Inspector to illustrate, without it I couldn't do my "job" properly, and if you're not paying for it by now, you should be. Here's an idea: Why not treat yourself to Armour Inspector instead of shelling out cash chasing Hype dreams in crates? I promise you no Premium tank can ever replace the immense amounts of knowledge and information the AI app provides.

Anyway, here is the Hype 59, which isn't worth one thousand two hundred tickets, going hull down against a T-54:

Posted Image

You can see the angle is off and the side is exposed, but it's not such a big deal because there's really nothing there. A few crew members may get hit, and while not wholly expendable, at least they won't detonate your tank.

When people say "shoot over the drive wheel", it's not easy to see what that means exactly. On the Hype, shooting over the outside of the drive wheel gives you the wrong angle:

Posted Image

Shooting over the inside of the drive wheel like this gives you a better angle:

Posted Image

Seen from the outside, you can see the armour looks more solid:

Posted Image

Now, if you make this mistake, and you are shooting over the outside of the right front drive wheel, you will be exposing your ammo racks:

Posted Image

In fact, the whole right side is nothing but ammo racks and fuel tanks. Even the turret:

Posted Image

So if you get a hold of one, don't make the same mistake Cornish and I did. Give them your left side, and protect your right side. :)

Edited by IrmaBecx, 27 December 2017 - 05:21 PM.

Cornish_Dyowl #28 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29522 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 27 December 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't?

EDIT: I mean Pics or it didn't happen!

Had a mental image of you driving around Castilla, singing along to ‘She Sells Sanctuary’, blowing me up and thinking “Ha! That’ll teach him to drive such an elitist tank at such a discounted price”

;)

IrmaBecx #29 Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21846 battles
  • [IRMA]

View PostCornish_Dyowl, on 27 December 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

Had a mental image of you driving around Castilla, singing along to ‘She Sells Sanctuary’, blowing me up and thinking “Ha! That’ll teach him to drive such an elitist tank at such a discounted price”

;)

I have to agree, that does sound a lot like me! :)

war6508 #30 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6705 battles
  • [BIA89]

You have type59? Man it is op and i REALLY want it. On asian server on wot pc it cost so cheap and every battle was a type 59 battle. I saw a person get a type 59 on the blitz fair

So jealous and also saw type 59 in game today. To any lucky type59 driver, congrats!!!

war6508 #31 Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6705 battles
  • [BIA89]
What server is that? Man 15euroes! On pc when it used to be sold it was like 70euroes!!!!!

Rhanzezo #32 Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16682 battles
  • [MK]

View Postwar6508, on 28 December 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

You have type59? Man it is op and i REALLY want it. On asian server on wot pc it cost so cheap and every battle was a type 59 battle. I saw a person get a type 59 on the blitz fair

So jealous and also saw type 59 in game today. To any lucky type59 driver, congrats!!!

You don't have one yet you think it's OP... :thonk:  It's not OP. Don't be jealous and if you really want one and dont expect it to instantly get you wins it will be sold soon again since there isn't such thing as long term rarity in wg titles. ;) In the meantime get yourself a T-44 and enjoy it. Its almost the same tank as the type. If you want something OP but similar looking yet with a little different playstyle pick the T-54ltwt; you wont be dissapointed if you know/learn the basics of playing a light tank. Try these alternatives before considering spending 50€ on a pixel tonk :D

Cornish_Dyowl #33 Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:26 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29522 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postwar6508, on 28 December 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

What server is that? Man 15euroes! On pc when it used to be sold it was like 70euroes!!!!!

WG made a mistake. It went on sale at the wrong price for about an hour when it was first released.  

IrmaBecx #34 Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21846 battles
  • [IRMA]

Yes, what Rhanzezo says is true. The Type 59 isn't OP, that's not the point of it. It's just really, really well balanced.

The T-54 Lightweight is OP, though, and it's free to grind. It's also a T-54 at tier VIII with a stock gun, but this one is a lot faster than any Medium tank, and the armour is the same if not better. The Type 59 is more comfortable to drive, and it's not as hysterical, but the Lightweight is without a doubt the stronger tank.

And, you know, it's free.

Bjorngisli #35 Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19470 battles
  • [FTC-1]

I've driven the type 59 one battle just to see how it is and got into a all full hp 2vs1 against a t54 1st proto and a some other medium... either it is op or my driving is getting better because they went into the garage and I still had half of my hp left.

And I really do love my t54 1st but I have a feeling I might do even better in the hype

Hippopotamaus #36 Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17060 battles
  • [-WOW-]
Amazingly, there are now only 172 Type 59 left at the auction.

That’s c1000 sales at c£160 each in tickets - in two days.

IrmaBecx, you should have negotiated a commission ;-)

IrmaBecx #37 Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21846 battles
  • [IRMA]

View PostHippopotamaus, on 29 December 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Amazingly, there are now only 172 Type 59 left at the auction.

That’s c1000 sales at c£160 each in tickets - in two days.

IrmaBecx, you should have negotiated a commission ;-)

Well, I guess there's no accounting for reverse psychology. I think I have been very clear about not spending any more than the original bundle price (€50 or so) for the Hype 59, because it's just not worth it, but it looks like they all sold out anyway.

Maybe it's time I ask WG for an actual salary? 

JJSawry #38 Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27784 battles
  • [EU]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 28 December 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

Yes, what Rhanzezo says is true. The Type 59 isn't OP, that's not the point of it. It's just really, really well balanced.

The T-54 Lightweight is OP, though, and it's free to grind. It's also a T-54 at tier VIII with a stock gun, but this one is a lot faster than any Medium tank, and the armour is the same if not better. The Type 59 is more comfortable to drive, and it's not as hysterical, but the Lightweight is without a doubt the stronger tank.

And, you know, it's free.

Gotta stop you there, buddy, can't compare ltwt hull armor to t44, hype59 or t54, let alone call it better. And the turret isn't what it once was either. 

I'd take hype59 over ltwt any day of the week.

soulinthemachine #39 Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 35604 battles
  • [TENC]
Still prefer the T44 .

IrmaBecx #40 Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21846 battles
  • [IRMA]

View PostJJSawry, on 29 December 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

Gotta stop you there, buddy, can't compare ltwt hull armor to t44, hype59 or t54, let alone call it better. And the turret isn't what it once was either. 

I'd take hype59 over ltwt any day of the week.

First of all, the T-54 Lightweight is totally comparable to the other Russian and Chinese Mediums in terms of armour. Looking over a ridge, you will present the same armour profile against the enemy; the upper plate may be 40 mm thinner that the Mod 1 for example, but that doesn't matter, because you'll be at more than seventy degrees anyway, and that's why you'll get the bounce.

When I said the armour was "same if not better" than the other tier VIII Mediums, I wasn't limiting myself to the Russians; I included all the tier VIII Mediums, like the Panther, the STA-1 or the Centurion I, and of course I don't mean the armour is better than the T-54 first prototype specifically, which has the thickest armour of any tier VIII Medium tank. That's just silly. But the fact remains the T-54 Lightweight has armour that gets a few bounces, just like a Medium tank.

Either way, the T-54 Lightweight isn't better because it has superior armour, it's better because it's a Light tank. It's faster, it's more agile, and it has better camouflage. It can do things Medium tanks can't do, and it can do most things Mediums can do also. That's what makes it better; it has superior mobility.

Returning to the Hype 59, or the T-44 for that matter, I am sure most people perform better in these tanks than in a tier VIII Light tank, and as I said that is the whole reason I like the Hype so much. It's tuned down. More mellow. Not as hysterical. All you need to be successful is some basic (Russian) Medium gameplay; you don't need to be on top of your game at all times and work yourself into an early grave just to have a good game. That makes it more balanced than the T-54 Lightweight. Preferable to it, perhaps. But it doesn't make it stronger than the T-54 Lightweight, because it's just not.

The only thing weak about a T-54 Lightweight is the driver.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users