tank philosophy MInes WTF

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

IrmaBecx #1 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32194 battles
  • [AFK]

Will someone please explain to me what has happened to the Mines map meta?

Invariably, all my Heavy tanks have started driving towards the cap behind the hill, no matter if I start at the north or south spawn. I drive Mediums most often, so the hill is where I go unless they have too many campy TDs, but these days there is no cover, no backup, and no support.

So two questions:

1. What are these people expecting to happen in town? Is there a new pub I don't know about? What is their plan; what is it they are trying to accomplish from there?

2. What should I do, as a Medium tank on my team when half of them run towards the cap and the others camp at spawn?

I'm really at a total loss here.

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Bjorngisli #2 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 21240 battles
You could go and hide by the lighthouse as many light tank drivers seem to be doing these days

reekoiler #3 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 57258 battles
  • [BT_SV]

I dunno IB but if this ain’t the most boring frikkin’ map!   Bring back the old one!   Plus, it’s assymetrical in an unfair way coz the TD shelf at one end covers the mine entrance and the cap circle but the other one doesn’t.

i hate charging up that hill and dying for lack of support!!

Ted57_55 #4 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 48950 battles

Irma. good question. I am also at a loss with Mines. I used to think it was one of my strongest maps, but now I am almost clueless. I have no idea what has changed, but soooo many tanks now just sit in spawn and wait for reds to appear, which they invariably do, from one side or another. Most mediums who go to the hill seem to get wiped out almost instantly. You used to occasionally be able to get up to the hill without being spotted, but that never seems to happen.

The only conclusion I have reached is that the game is currently flooded with players with low win rates and that you need to stay alive as long as possible, as you cannot rely on any of them to back you up.

soulinthemachine #5 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 56466 battles
  • [TENC]

It’s the ‘Gilded Lemming’ pub. Happy Hour 1/2 price drinking for as long as you can keep the cap siren going. Then everyone falls down   . Your role is to loose half health capturing hill then run off down back again after being overrun .:)

Don’t be too long doing this as they also need you to protect the cap. Your job is as bouncer. 

Edited by soulinthemachine, 02 January 2018 - 03:04 PM.

Gentleman_l8astard #6 Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 11253 battles
  • [ALBA]

Mines is a mess right now.  It doesn’t matter what choice I make on that map, it’s the wrong one.  Lots of TDs and Heavy on the red?  I go hill, take the hill, have a great position ... and find my team went island while I have heavys climbing up my rear.  

I have flanked the town in Heavy tanks, and as long as there are not to many TDs, it can go well, provided you have support from the hill (it almost never happens for me).  If I try for the hill I see my other IS whatever sitting on TD hill mashing the “SOS” button.

I don’t think it’s just mines tho, the meta has changed for a lot of maps, and the good old “short flank” in a med just leads to totally unpredictable results, like running into a pack of heavys where they “shouldn’t” be.

Precariat #7 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17826 battles
  • [B-B-B]

Seems to me it does depend on what tiers you are playing this map.

I still find going hill to be useful provided you know how to make the most of using the crest as cover. I've had teams that stay close to spawn while the reds flank lighthouse side and from the main hill slope you can get a lot of flank shots while still in cover. In this case I was the only tank that had gone hill.

Controlling the mine entrance at the top isn't essential unless one team has camped near spawn as there are places on either side of the slope that allow tanks there to be flanked unless they have good support. I suspect on high tiers this map should not appear too frequently, the low tier maps can be a bit cramped at higher tiers.

Going cap side in heavies works because players often camp near spawn and the house offer good cover on the approach.

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

Dassem_ #8 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32136 battles
  • [AFK]

on mines you go hill. 

this was written in the very first and most saced scrolls. its a matter of being classy. of raising yourself above the plebs. end of debate.

Check out The Dassem Channel

Ted57_55 #9 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 48950 battles
Well said Dassem. I will continue to enjoy getting vaporised on the hill, wondering what the fools are doing in spawn / cap etc....

Pururut #10 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23848 battles

Mines is the spiritual successor to Might and Magic 9.You pull a lever by going to hill.Rest is a combination of;

Tankswithgundepressionorwithoutgundepressionturretarmorplayersbeingskilledenoughtonotrushordrivebackwardsorsilhoutteonthehillorallthreefastmedsandlightsrushingthehillslowmedsrushingthehillandgettingblownupbycampingtdscampingtdsaimingattownheaviesgoingtotowntrueheaviesdominatingheaviumsintownuselesspeopleresidingbythebeaconusefulpeopledaringlyspottingcampingtdswhenthematchesbecomedeadlocksliketheydo90percentofthetimeattier10areyoureadingthisplatoonsbaitingnabstopeekoverthehilltogetsplatteredbytheplatoonmateinthecampinghighalphatdaimingskillsoftheindividualplayersonbothoftheteams.

In other words, the meta favors the side with bigger guns and more turret armor.What use does a fast light tank or med provide when the remainder of its team has no good gun depression to exploit the advance on the hill?And if the side with less tds and hull down capable tanks decide to go to town then meta punishes them by giving the reds the advantage of high ground, flanking attack and long range support from the hills on both spawns.

Edited by Pururut, 02 January 2018 - 03:32 PM.

Astolfo has the cutest phallus.

Timsinsal #11 Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 28227 battles
  • [TANG]

At least them driving towards the cap/town is preferable to them not moving from spawn.

"Hill Fast" Forever!

Knickerson #12 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37678 battles
  • [ICN]

Heavies don't want to battle for hill domination anymore because, dammit it's too hard to win that way.

View PostJJSawry, on 02 January 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

Also, what's with the 'tank philosophy' tag?

Search the tag, you'll see why.

Sound trumpets! Let our colours wave!
And either victory, or else a grave.

William Shakespeare
Henry VI Part 3 – Act 2, scene 2

IrmaBecx #13 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32194 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postsoulinthemachine, on 02 January 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

It’s the ‘Gilded Lemming’ pub. Happy Hour 1/2 price drinking for as long as you can keep the cap siren going. Then everyone falls down   . Your role is to loose half health capturing hill then run off down back again after being overrun .:)

Don’t be too long doing this as they also need you to protect the cap. Your job is as bouncer. 

Well, in that case I'm doing it right, at least :)

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

RustyRaptor #14 Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 7217 battles
  • [R3B3L]

Mines is pure trash,when i play tanks on that map i just stay on the frontline directly at the enemy going hulldown behind some rocks and waiting for heavy tank support.For me the heavies in my team do seem to go hill and support the mediums rushing at the top,my teams fro some reason don't seem to be too dumb and thankfully and they do know where to go.

Its only on low tier games where my team splits up and goes nowhere,but hey its low tier so who cares anyways its understandable in the end.Besides i can see why someone would go cap,its because they want to flank the enemy going up hill which when it works causes decimation of enemy players.I did win a 1vs5 game by going cap on Mines in my BT-7 and wining because the enemy didn't notice until it was too late. :trollface:

Edited by RustyRaptor, 02 January 2018 - 05:08 PM.

Shut up cuck

RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #15 Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 52120 battles
  • [RA1D]

You always go towards the Hill unless you are a TD. If you are a TD: camp spawn! If you come from the south side you might try going up the hill IF you have support and the enemy has not many mediums. If you come from the North spawn NEVER ever go up the hill, its useless and you will die. If you are not on the hill you spot the Hill area and FALL BACK so the enemy cant hit you. You WAIT for the enemy to come and for your TDs and camping Light/Medium/Heavynoobs to destroy them. You are careful of enemy noobs coming from town and ignore enemy bobs at lighthouse. If the rare case happens where the match isnt decided in 30 sec and there is a stalemate at the hill you might eventually go lighthouse in a fast tank. Dont wait at the lighthouse but push through to the islands on the enemy side and snipe the flanks of the enemy. If your idiotic team decides to go to town you eventually join them. If they - even worse -  go to lighthouse  you go back to Spawn and Camp as much dmg as you can before losing inevitably. 

What a crapmap.

Edited by superschnitzelkoenig, 02 January 2018 - 05:11 PM.

Stop Complaining...           ...Carry Harder!

StrikeFIN #16 Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8418 battles
Changing tactics is good thing, sometimes results does surprise and sometimes doesn't.

IrmaBecx #17 Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32194 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postsuperschnitzelkoenig, on 02 January 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

You always go towards the Hill unless you are a TD. If you are a TD: camp spawn! If you come from the south side you might try going up the hill IF you have support and the enemy has not many mediums. If you come from the North spawn NEVER ever go up the hill, its useless and you will die. If you are not on the hill you spot the Hill area and FALL BACK so the enemy cant hit you. You WAIT for the enemy to come and for your TDs and camping Light/Medium/Heavynoobs to destroy them. You are careful of enemy noobs coming from town and ignore enemy bobs at lighthouse. If the rare case happens where the match isnt decided in 30 sec and there is a stalemate at the hill you might eventually go lighthouse in a fast tank. Dont wait at the lighthouse but push through to the islands on the enemy side and snipe the flanks of the enemy. If your idiotic team decides to go to town you eventually join them. If they - even worse -  go to lighthouse  you go back to Spawn and Camp as much dmg as you can before losing inevitably. 

What a crapmap.

Wow, that's a pretty comprehensive guide. Stellar work!

I'm out of upvotes, will someone lend me one? :)

IrmaBecx #18 Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32194 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostStrikeFIN, on 02 January 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

Changing tactics is good thing, sometimes results does surprise and sometimes doesn't.

I've been thinking about that too. Maybe it's me? I mean I tend to go for the same spots, and I wouldn't call my positioning very imaginative. Maybe I'm just lagging behind the evolution of the game?

Wotaholic #19 Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 27939 battles
  • [IRMA]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 02 January 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

So two questions:

1. What are these people expecting to happen in town? Is there a new pub I don't know about? What is their plan; what is it they are trying to accomplish from there?

2. What should I do, as a Medium tank on my team when half of them run towards the cap and the others camp at spawn?

First of all, Mines MUST be removed from High Tier battles (VIII+ or at least 9&10).. even WOT PC players are demanding the same.

after the re-work, I tried to fight from hill after winning it with a Medium/Light tank and always ended up:

1. Arriving at hill (if survived) with less -25% HP as minimum (so why start a battles with this disadvantage?)

2. If i try to do damage, I will have to trade with higher alpha heavy guns

3. Above point #2 plus get shot from lighthouse area

4. Get shot from enemy spawn area

5. I can't reset camo because I will always be proxy spotted

6. there little or no cover

So why go hill? I stopped after few attempts 

There could be better players who know how to work it out but i couldn't and can't do it.

instead, I work the area on the lighthouse ridge closer to my spawn without approaching the top because of enemy TD's then once a tank or two are cleared I try to spot enemy TD's from the bushes.

I also spot for my TD's the enemy tanks trying to win the lighthouse 

Mines causes further nerf to Medium/Lights and limits them to a lot of passive spotting 

Regarding heavies:

I think it is not a bad idea to go near the flag area especially if you don't have gun depression, the turret is soft or you are driving a rear mounted turret tank.

An example would be AMX 50b or T57 Heavy accompanied by an Is7, you could take out one enemy tank easy from the area around the hill corner (before you get into the enemy TD's line of fire) and while you TD's will provide cover when you fallback during the reload..

However, i see it is more suited for tanks like T30, T29, E75, E100, T26E4, M48 Patton, T32  (you are getting the trend) to fight for the ridge area near hill slope because they have gun depression as well as turret armor.. 

Mines at Tier X has become either a 1 minute snowball battle or a boring "come and get me" 6 minutes one with TD's camping on each side

Edited by Wotaholic, 02 January 2018 - 05:41 PM.

duranciuszek #20 Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 43497 battles
  • [PAT]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 02 January 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

Will someone please explain to me what has happened to the Mines map meta?

Invariably, all my Heavy tanks have started driving towards the cap behind the hill, no matter if I start at the north or south spawn. I drive Mediums most often, so the hill is where I go unless they have too many campy TDs, but these days there is no cover, no backup, and no support.

So two questions:

I'm really at a total loss here.

Irma, it's not about meta on mines. It's about playerbase. Even unicums can't do much with the team full of 45% wr players with average damage below 1k.

Sad but true.

Also tagged with tank philosophy, MInes, WTF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users