tank philosophy MInes WTF

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Radojevicuros22 #21 Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9352 battles
  • [R2D]
Unless there are 3-4 TDs in enemy team, players tend to go hill and wait for enemy to peek, while fast tanks get up fast and take shots at enemy tanks. When there are 3-4 TDs in enemy team, i tend to go city and snipe TDs, of course, with support of 1 another heavy (driving Tiger 1 with long 8.8) and there are 1-2 meds on hill that serve as spotters.

IrmaBecx #22 Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32194 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostWotaholic, on 02 January 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

So why go hill? I stopped after few attempts 

There could be better players who know how to work it out but i couldn't and can't do it.

instead, I work the area on the lighthouse ridge closer to my spawn without approaching the top because of enemy TD's then once a tank or two are cleared I try to spot enemy TD's from the bushes.

I also spot for my TD's the enemy tanks trying to win the lighthouse 

Mines causes further nerf to Medium/Lights and limits them to a lot of passive spotting 

More good suggestions. I'm going to try the Lighthouse, see what happens. I mean it can't go any worse?

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Precariat #23 Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17826 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 02 January 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

More good suggestions. I'm going to try the Lighthouse, see what happens. I mean it can't go any worse?

Usually I go to the nearside slope and check the mini-map. Is my team camping? Have I got any support? Had a mastery against a team that went all lighthouse.

As mentioned it's best to have an open mind and adapt based on all information available, not just on mines

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

Wotaholic #24 Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 27939 battles
  • [IRMA]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 02 January 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

Position 1 from South spawn, moving forward after firing to use the rock as cover from enemy on hill

Position 2 from south spawn using the bush to maximize concealment (you won't be spotted) unless enemy peak over the lighthouse:

Position 3 from north spawn: Drive up --> fire --> roll back --> reset camo --> repeat

99% of times in all of the above cases, enemy will push you across the lighthouse hill top especially if you are driving a lightly armored tank... this is good news because while you fall back you will fire a shot or two on them and your allies will handle the rest. you also have a lot of hard cover to use and dig your way out of trouble towards your spawn area.

the other advantage of this tactic is that you would be in good proximity to support your TD's if they get flanked from town area.

Disclaimer: what I am proposing is one tactic out of many and not a solution to the deficiency of this map

Edited by Wotaholic, 02 January 2018 - 07:28 PM.

RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #25 Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 52120 battles
  • [RA1D]
Its a decent position but to be honest it doesnt really offer a lot of advantages compared to just camping in spawn. You will get a few hits on enemies that have pushed up the hill but on the other hand you miss on having shots on the reds in town, the ones on the hill peaking towards your spawn and the reds near the former (old mines) cap area and in fact the reds that snipe at the lighthouse. I think thats not a good trade and it should be better to just wait in Spawn and snipe from there. It may be a decent starting position for a Leo if you plan on relocating towards the Lighthouse but I have had TDs chosing that spot and they were missed badly at their regular position, usually ending in me getting rushed without support from the back.

Stop Complaining...           ...Carry Harder!

IrmaBecx #26 Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32194 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postsuperschnitzelkoenig, on 02 January 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

Its a decent position but to be honest it doesnt really offer a lot of advantages compared to just camping in spawn. 

Like Wotaholic said, it's just one tactic of many. I'm going to give it a go at least.

Also, in a Leopard 1, camping at spawn and camping 100 meters from spawn is practically the same thing with that excellent mobility?

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Wotaholic #27 Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 27939 battles
  • [IRMA]

View Postsuperschnitzelkoenig, on 02 January 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

Its a decent position but to be honest it doesnt really offer a lot of advantages compared to just camping in spawn. You will get a few hits on enemies that have pushed up the hill but on the other hand you miss on having shots on the reds in town, the ones on the hill peaking towards your spawn and the reds near the former (old mines) cap area and in fact the reds that snipe at the lighthouse. I think thats not a good trade and it should be better to just wait in Spawn and snipe from there. It may be a decent starting position for a Leo if you plan on relocating towards the Lighthouse but I have had TDs chosing that spot and they were missed badly at their regular position, usually ending in me getting rushed without support from the back.

Agreed, I have been let down by my TD's in some occasions but as you know at tier X, one or two incompetent allies are often what the enemy requires to win no matter how hard you tried to influence the battle

View PostIrmaBecx, on 02 January 2018 - 08:20 PM, said:

Like Wotaholic said, it's just one tactic of many. I'm going to give it a go at least.

Also, in a Leopard 1, camping at spawn and camping 100 meters from spawn is practically the same thing with that excellent mobility?

My point is, being an anti go-hill player, I would rather stay alive in full HP and dominate one part of the map (big part of it) + counter the hill winners + spot the lighthouse part than commit suicide on hill and get tunnel visioned by enemy spawn TD's

it's a bit defensive tactic for a good 1 minute until you see how the battle develops.. a good player would tell be then where all 7 enemies are and how they are spread out across the map then make a good judgment on the next move.

oh, and you will be surprised (pleasantly) how often you will spot zombies cruising in the river aimlessly :sceptic: = easy free damage

Edited by Wotaholic, 02 January 2018 - 08:42 PM.

Peddy_tanj_it #28 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 63555 battles
  • [EU]

In the "good old days" before the latest reworking of the mines map it was a simple case of the mediums/lights that won the battle for the hill usually won the battle. This drew a lot of complaints that the map was boring and had basically one choke point on the map that everybody had to go for to win. So WG have reworked it making the hill more open to sniping from the high ground near to both spawn points. 

Now its very different a fast rush up the hill with mediums/lights supported by heavies can win provided the reds are also wiling to fight for the hill if the opposing team does not contest the hill but finds cover near the spawn sites and waits for the attackers to come to them they are supported by TD'S whilst the Reds TD'S are camping then that can work as taking the hill you usually take a hit or two. A fast rush to the cap circle can work. If you have a couple of flankers going to the lighthouse that can cause real trouble if not contested. Particularly if the Reds go for the hill then you can outflank and hit the Reds contesting for the hill in the sides or rear. If you are in a mobile light then you could sneak up the lighthouse side and COD the TD'S camping at the back.

Generally if I am in a light or medium I start to go for the hill but if do not get support I tend to stop and just cover the choke point at the top then back off and either go lighthouse or sneak around the side and head to the town. In a heavy I will try to support the Meds/lights going for the hill if they don't go for the hill then I might go for the town and cap circle of just hide behind the rocks and wait for the attack. In a TD I tend to camp near the spawn. If it's a mobile TD I might go to the camping spots shown by Wotaholic above. Then attack down the ligthouse side. Overall I feel that the odds favour those teams that take the hill but it is much less certain now with the new map than on the old 

I much prefer this new map to the old mines map as you get a much more varied battle. 

There Ain't No Justice = TANJ 

anonym_39ld08Pq7P2y #29 Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:48 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles
Hill is only important, when both teams head for it. If one team splits up, wents town and the other half sits in base and covers them with hardcover against hill, goodnight hill

IrmaBecx #30 Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:22 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32194 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostGraf_von_Blankenstein, on 03 January 2018 - 02:48 AM, said:

Hill is only important, when both teams head for it. If one team splits up, wents town and the other half sits in base and covers them with hardcover against hill, goodnight hill

Yes I know, but I still rammed your E 100 to death in my Leopard 1. :)

Mjr_Eazy #31 Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:06 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 36885 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 02 January 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

I've been thinking about that too. Maybe it's me? I mean I tend to go for the same spots, and I wouldn't call my positioning very imaginative. Maybe I'm just lagging behind the evolution of the game?

I started a similar thread a few months ago as that was when I’d noticed the change and that was my conclusion, it’s me and I need to go with the flow more :). It’s hard though as quite often the reds take the Hill unopposed and the predictable defeat follows, it’s hard to cap out if last tank standing as the map is so small.

Having said that it’s one of my favourite maps as I never know what’s going to happen, although pictures I’ve seen of the old one do make that look a lot better.

547146227.png

LanguishViking #32 Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:18 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 18074 battles
  • [NOR]

My view on mines. 

1- I count TDs, if I have a problem being shot by all of the enemy TDs I don't go hill unless I'm the fastest tank

2- I check if one of our meds goes to the lighthouse, if nobody is on lighthouse island I don't push the hill. 

So Decision tree

Heavy - count TDs if too many go town

Med - check speed, if speed ok go hill, else go lighthouse, possibly go to the flank shot positions on the hill if I'm feeling adventurous

Light - check speed, if speed ok go hill, else go light house

TD - Camp at back ruining other people's fun and complain about n00b loser team if they push out of my ability to support, unless it's an american heavy turreted td in which case, play like a heavy. 

Neaul #33 Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 22545 battles
  • [GARK]
I actually use positions 3 with TDs :)

RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #34 Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:21 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 52120 battles
  • [RA1D]

If your team doesnt have TDs feel free to camp in a Medium/Light with a good gun, especially on south spawn. Its essential to have 1-2 tanks camping at the back to counter enemy flanks and cover the hill. Of course dont forget to move if the situation changes. I just had a 3000dmg-game in my Panther I, doing most of it by sniping from the south spawn towards the enemies on the hill and 2 heavies that were flanking through town. 

Stop Complaining...           ...Carry Harder!

Ted57_55 #35 Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 48950 battles
Pururut also pointed out on our Discord server, when the same issue came up, that when coming from the south spawn, the old "safe zone" for mediums / lights who make it up the hill can be spotted and hit by a tall tank on the north side in the houses between spawn and cap. This is where a lot of AMX / T57 tend to hide. I think the safe zone coming from the north spawn on the hill cannot be hit, but you will be vaporised (or at least I will) from the south spawn or the positions 1 and 2 that Wotaholic shows when you attempt to peekaboom. This map is now very, very friendly to TD. I don't think you get varied battles on it. Its a complete noob lottery.

Also tagged with tank philosophy, MInes, WTF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users