Statistic Repair - Choose a Tank - Give Top Tips

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Colmain595 #1 Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 34416 battles
  • [KRH]

Thought I'd try a new thread.  The idea being to choose a tank, any tank.  No snobbery here so tier or class doesn't matter.  Maybe a tank you disliked but had to revisit to repair the stats, or your favourite tank or one not often seen.  Then give top tips on how you play the tank, equipment load out if you like and so on.

So here goes.  I'll start of with the Medium I.  

Why tier 1, well it's where we all began our noobish lives, trundling along without a care.  Bumping into things, missing targets and generally motoring along clueless. I started out on the British line and kept getting my rear spanked in the Medium I.  Those frustrating firefights getting smashed as my useless armour let every round in, neither could I move very quickly.  I hated the Medium I.  But thousands of games later I went back to where it all began, I wanted to do well in it.

Being a more experienced player, my crew skills advanced I mounted up and was really optimistic.  Off she went, seemingly faster than before.  I could move but still slowly, my rounds hit the Reds, I was grinning as I realised I was seal clubbing but not for long, I was getting smashed again, same drills, same outcome.  Only difference being I was getting more damage in and surviving longer.  I left again - for a long time.

Updates, nerfs and buffs came and went.  My crew skills maxing out and experience increasing.  The Medium I called me back.

in the intervening time I'd become an accomplished TD player, ummmm.  What caused me to die so spectacularly last time I realised, was me wading in.  The Medium I isn't a brawler, it isn't meant to trade shots toe to toe.  I began to use the 6pdr, much better alpha and the reload time tolerable because of my crew skills.  Complete about turn in tactics.  I used it as a turreted tier I TD with a 6 per main gun.  It works, or at least for me.  Using every advantage I can (camo, consumerables and yes, even 5 open equipment slots) to make her faster, better more competitive.  Tier I can be fast, unpredictable and in your face.  In the Medium I hang back, get those rounds onto the Reds, unseen from a distance the Reds get very nervy as they take a third to half HP damage, a reaction very noticeable at tier I.  That way the rest of the team can lay into the Reds.  Peek a boom is a very good tactic.

Yes I still play the Medium I, yes I can seal club in her but I like to just spread the wealth for my fellow greens by whittling away the Reds and letting my friendly noobs finish the job.  Being tier I though it doesn't always go as planned.  

IrmaBecx #2 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21497 battles
  • [IRMA]

So I drove the new China tanks the other day, and one of them is the tier III Japanese Type 97 Chi-Ha. I've not driven that in a while, but I remembered what it is about it that makes it special: it has gun depression.

Driving the low tier Japanese Mediums will teach you everything you need to know about gun depression. It feels strange they are playable at all with their mediocre mobility and no armour, but when you learn to always be maxed out with the gun depression and crawl around hills and mounds just peeking over or around with the rapid firing, punchy guns, you won't actually be showing the hull at all.

If you are wondering wether you might want to drive a tier X gun depression Medium some day, here is where you start learning how it's done.

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Titus_Scato #3 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37886 battles
  • [1RTR]

Great idea for a thread!

The Medium I... [sniff]...  it used to be so good back in the day, before the Sep 2015 HE penetration nerf.  It would pen any Tier I and most Tier II's with HE, and completely wreck an enemy team.  It was pure gold if driven according to your advice above, as a support tank behind the team, using  hard cover to protect during the reload.

One of the tanks I de-noobed recently was the LTP.  I had rage-sold it years ago after WG nerfed it because it was OP (it was a free tank so they could do that) and because my noobish stats in it (after only 9 battles!) were horrible.  Thanks to a video by unkindest, I got it back last December and tried my best to de-noob it.

Unfortunately, I'm still a noob - after 91 more battles, I only managed to get it to a 51% win rate, although I did manage a Mastery.  The armour isn't bad for a Tier 3, but the gun is nothing special, and the mobility is pretty poor, only the AMX 38, Pz.IIJ and Cruiser II being slower among Tier 3 lights.  Up against the pre-nerf Cruiser II, Cruiser IV and T-46 (never mind the Tier 4's!), I really struggled in the LTP, winning barely more than half my games. 

Brawling just didn't work in the LTP - I had to resort to stealth, sneaking around on the edges of the fight and sniping at targets of opportunity from long range.  I gave up on optics, and fitted a camo net instead to boost the camo rating.  This tactic gave me better results, although there were occasions when I picked the wrong flank and ran into the whole red team and got wrecked, or when a faster, stronger tank spotted me and hunted me down.

Edited by Titus_Scato, 13 January 2018 - 06:54 PM.

Gentleman_l8astard #4 Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9664 battles

So it’s a de-noobing thread, or am I misreading?  If that’s the case, all my tanks with any significant number of games on it are above the 50% mark ... with the exception of one ...

My CosPlay Panther.  My beloved “2k”.  It’s one of those tanks I love to play, but hate how I need to play it.  It’s the only tank I have with a 200+ battle count that has a 49% WR.  That’s an embarrassment for me, not because of stats or who has the biggest e-pen, but because I know I’m better than that.  It’s like getting a black eye from an otherwise perfect fight.

Its a tank I need to fix, but I just can’t bring myself to jump back in it.  

jonty_2014 #5 Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 54958 battles
  • [EMRS]
Vickers Mk VIC.

No armour, steers like a brick, no penetration to speak of.

180 burst damage at tier 2.

Only the R35 and the Pz. 38H 735 (f) are totally invulnerable, and the D1 with the top turret is near impossible to pen.

However, against soft sides and rears at tier 2 and 3, it has the speed to relocate and hit a good speed in a straight run, stop alongside, unload a full clip and shoot off.  Be close enough so the dispersion doesn’t scatter the clip everywhere.... A lot of players seem to dismiss the VIC, so ignore it... to their peril when they focus on another tank and suddenly two clips later, you’ve made them go bang.

Against the French super-heavy-lights, you can track them easily provided your surviving team mates have enough fire power to pierce their armour or to HE them to death.

mrpgilbert #6 Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32432 battles
  • [AFK]

Comet. Picked it up again in the autumn with stupid number of games and a 43%WR. Am now, generally, loving it. Fast enough, decent enough armour, decent RoF. Sure, the pen sucks against tier VIII heavies, but they've all got tracks. I still blow it far too often, with sub-500 damage and the like, but generally because I have underestimated the incapability of the team and pushed too hard. Suits my playstyle to a T. 

You may have picked this up from other posts...

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

reekoiler #7 Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 21248 battles
  • [FTC-1]
For stat repair, I go down the tiers.   3 and 4 are best - not too tough, not too boring.   Then pick a good tank.   There are plenty to choose from.   How about the tier 3 American M2 Medium?   Load the howitzer (150-250 ave dmg. aint bad at T3) and use the excellent gun depression (20 degrees according to tank compare - wtf!) say on the high side at Copperfield where there is a severe slope you can use.   Likewise, the frontline on Mines, at the mine entrance, is another good place to use it.   Shoot those little tin can VICs in the face and Bob’s yer uncle innit?
Knickerson, my apologies.

mrpgilbert #8 Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32432 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postreekoiler, on 15 January 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

For stat repair, I go down the tiers.   3 and 4 are best - not too tough, not too boring.   Then pick a good tank.   There are plenty to choose from.   How about the tier 3 American M2 Medium?   Load the howitzer (150-250 ave dmg. aint bad at T3) and use the excellent gun depression (20 degrees according to tank compare - wtf!) say on the high side at Copperfield where there is a severe slope you can use.   Likewise, the frontline on Mines, at the mine entrance, is another good place to use it.   Shoot those little tin can VICs in the face and Bob’s yer uncle innit?

That's stat padding. Fixing stats per tier is more of a challenge.

Be nice to me..

reekoiler #9 Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 21248 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 15 January 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

O.   Wossa difference?

Titus_Scato #10 Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37886 battles
  • [1RTR]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 15 January 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

Exactly.  Stat repair is driving tanks in which your win rate is less than 50%.  The tanks in which you didn't do very well.

For reekoiler, that's the Renault FT, T7 Combat Car, Light Mk.VIC, Alecto etc.

Edited by Titus_Scato, 15 January 2018 - 01:54 PM.

Precariat #11 Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9731 battles
  • [B-B-B]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 15 January 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

Exactly.  Stat repair is driving tanks in which your win rate is less than 50%.  The tanks in which you didn't do very well.

Yeah I decide to put the bar at 60% for now, but team quality can make it quite frustrating at times. I just feel WR makes me a prisoner to the whims of the MM. I got 20 tanks at tier IV alone below 60%, 7 below 50%

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

mrpgilbert #12 Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 32432 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postreekoiler, on 15 January 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

O.   Wossa difference?

Well, if you look at my per-tier WR graph on Blitzstars: https://www.blitzsta...r/eu/mrpgilbert you'll see that I've got a declining per-tier WR as it goes up, but also an increasing number of games. Running more games in low tiers will enable me to pull up the overall lifetime WR quicker than continuing to slog at tier VII. However, there's more satisfaction for me in pulling it up from 46% or whatever it was in VII than in being a unicum because I've clubbed a lot of seals in tier III.

Be nice to me..

Titus_Scato #13 Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37886 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostPrecariat, on 15 January 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

Yeah I decide to put the bar at 60% for now, but team quality can make it quite frustrating at times. I just feel WR makes me a prisoner to the whims of the MM. I got 20 tanks at tier IV alone below 60%, 7 below 50%

Hence the challenge - you have to carry your noob team.  Which means you have to play very well.

sixty_three #14 Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9941 battles

The SAu 40.

A quirky looking tank that requires, IMO, quirky configuration and ammunition choices.

Pick the 2nd gun, the 75mm AC SA44, rather than the "top" 4.2" Howitzer.

Open up seven equipment slots, and select the right-hand option.  The seventh option being "Refined Gun".

For your ammo mix, load up with a plentiful supply of HE.  As with "Calibrated Shells" enabled, you can penetrate 42mm of armour to inflict 200 average damage.  

This slug of pain can be accurately delivered by your gun, providing you're motionless.  And ideally just crouched behind a ridge, using your full, decent 10 degrees of gun depression.

If someone does get close, thinking you're unwieldy, surprise them with your good traverse.  And woe betide them if they think you can be rammed into oblivion.  You're much too portly to easily accept that fate.

Everybody thinks you're a rubbish vehicle that can safely be ignored.  Blend into the background but blow them to smithereens.  If you're lucky...;)

PS: I hope the impending buff doesn't turn this French creation into an average, Hetzer-wannabe tank.  

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

Ellistiger #15 Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 28254 battles
  • [AFK]

For me I’m afraid the next on the list for buying back are the  unloved and rarely seen vk30.01d and vk30.02d . In my more noobish days I played them ( to be honest I played EVERYTHING ) as heavies , must remember that they are mediums ! 

Note to wargaming .......a little ish buff for that line wouldn’t go amiss ! ......including the Indien panzer . Don’t think I can ever remember that line being buffed .                   Pretty please ? :)

AFK   And proud of it ! 

Knickerson #16 Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24414 battles
  • [ICN]
I have a hankering to denoob M3 Lee. It sits right on the 50%WR line. Is it worth it?
A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse! ...
I have set my life upon a cast,
and I will stand the hazard of a die.

William Shakespeare
Richard III – Act 5, scene 4

sixty_three #17 Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 9941 battles

View PostKnickerson, on 15 January 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

I have a hankering to denoob M3 Lee. It sits right on the 50%WR line. Is it worth it?

Yes, as you can channel your inner Humphrey Bogart and pretend you're filming 'Sahara".

Good luck with Lulu Belle! :girl:

Edited by sixty_three, 15 January 2018 - 05:12 PM.

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

reekoiler #18 Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 21248 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 15 January 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

No chance of my playing the last two again as I really disliked them (and the Alecto is doubly history because I aced it).   The first two I don’t recall but there are no plans.

reekoiler #19 Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 21248 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostKnickerson, on 15 January 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

It’s a great tank!   Shoot round corners with it.

Titus_Scato #20 Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 37886 battles
  • [1RTR]

View Postreekoiler, on 15 January 2018 - 05:56 PM, said:

No chance of my playing the last two again as I really disliked them (and the Alecto is doubly history because I aced it).   The first two I don’t recall but there are no plans.

How about the VK.16.02 Leopard, T67, AMX ELC, SU-85 and StuG III?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users