IS3 Defender gun angst

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Hippopotamaus #1 Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:50 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17033 battles
  • [-WOW-]

It may just be me - but I really struggle with the gun on this thing.

I can cope with the clip reload (that’s fine).

What I cant cope with is 2 shots in 3 bouncing off things or ‘going straight through’ rather than doing damage.

I know how to aim. If there another trick I am missing:

Prayer?

Ritual animal sacrifice?

talhaONE #2 Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 15184 battles
  • [CZZR]
Pray to stalin.He will guide your shots.

romsitsa #3 Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 40231 battles
  • [VG]

Go closer, or go closer and use HE.

A

IrmaBecx #4 Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:52 AM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21846 battles
  • [IRMA]

Yea, try moving closer. And learn to use the pike nose properly, point it straight ahead - don't try to angle it.

Or, just sell the dam thing and get the IS-5. Gun is just as derpy Russian, but at least you won't have to deal with the clip reload, and you'll have tier IX side armour.

Edited by IrmaBecx, 14 February 2018 - 03:25 PM.

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Hippopotamaus #5 Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17033 battles
  • [-WOW-]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 13 February 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

Yea, try moving closer. And learn to use the pike nose properly, point it straight ahead - don't try to angle it.

Or, just sell the dam thing and get the IS-5. Gun is just as derpy Russian, but at least you won't have to deal with the clip reload, and you'll have tier IX side armour.

Thanks Irma.

I already have the IS5 but have never equipped or driven it - because I had 7 equipment slots open on the Defender (and I wasn’t convinced that the IS5 is better)

Do people generally think that the IS5 is better than the IS3d then?

Edited by Hippopotamaus, 13 February 2018 - 11:20 AM.

IrmaBecx #6 Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21846 battles
  • [IRMA]

View PostHippopotamaus, on 13 February 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Thanks Irma.

I already have the IS5 but have never equipped or driven it - because I had 7 equipment slots open on the Defender (and I wasn’t convinced that the IS5 is better)

No, it’s pretty much just me... :)

Seriously; the IS-5 does have a few strong points compared to the Defender, as I recall the side armour is tier leading and the gun is a bit better. It’s also faster? It’s been a long while since I drove it, but here is my old review:

http://forum.wotblitz.eu/index.php?/topic/42259-irma-drives-russian-tenks-the-is-5-defender-killer/

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

IrmaBecx #7 Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21846 battles
  • [IRMA]

Had a read through, and as far as the gun there may not be a whole lot of good news for you:

It’s not my first 122 mm. I even drove the T-44 with the D-25, which is the gun we are talking about here. IS-5 has the “TA” model, which I guess means smoothbore, because it has APCR standard unlike the T-44 and IS-3.

That explains why I’m not using a whole lot of WN8-shells, because the standard APCR is basically the Premium APCR off a T-44 or IS-3, only better. Okay, not by much, except for the shell speed, which is just insane: 1400 m/s. Standard. That’s almost as fast as the OBJ 140 or the Leopard I; it’s almost as fast as the Löwe! Note the cheater HEAT shells are a lot slower than the APCR at only 800 m/s. Standard APCR should however get you out of most any tier VIII situations, and a lot of tier IX.

Granted, a lot of the time the shell speed only means you miss faster. It’s perfectly possible to donk four or five shots in a row, point blank, against a tinfoil target, so yeah: the gun handling is distinctly “Russian”. APCR is also notoriously finnicky, and it’s kind of a strange experience them being standard issue on such an unreliable weapon. You need to deal with the rather curious combination of sluggish gun handling and near instand shell delivery.

Still, once in a while those snapshots you keep forgetting there’s no use taking will actually go in, and if you have the Defender or the IS-6 already, this is all old news to you. 

Edited by IrmaBecx, 13 February 2018 - 12:57 PM.

minitelrose #8 Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 58438 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostHippopotamaus, on 13 February 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

It may just be me - but I really struggle with the gun on this thing.

I can cope with the clip reload (that’s fine).

What I cant cope with is 2 shots in 3 bouncing off things or ‘going straight through’ rather than doing damage.

I know how to aim. If there another trick I am missing:

Prayer?

Ritual animal sacrifice?

Vodka

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

minitelrose #9 Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 58438 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostHippopotamaus, on 13 February 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Thanks Irma.

They are both equally trash cans for Stalin’s ego.

Drive a lowe for classy big damage  or an AMX13 for heroic suicide. I have many IS- tanks in my garage and I try not to touch them, Even with a stick.

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

jylpah #10 Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:21 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12230 battles
  • [AFK]
It is still one of the best tier VIII tanks so after you have equipped it with VertStabs it's all about the driver. Russian heavies cannot be driven without VertStabs.

"All game mechanics work equally for all players." , WarGaming

Jylpah @EU  Jylpah @Asia  Tier V-X Tank Ranking      Jylpah is SKUX

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users