Jump to content


Bugs or peculiarities?


  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

RibbleStripe #1 Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:19 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Administrator
  • 300 battles
  • 60
  • [WG]
  • Member since:
    10-04-2017

Tankers,
 

In this topic we will touch on a very important and complicated issue—peculiarities of game universe simulations, which are usually seen as bugs. These issues mostly deal with gameplay and may affect the course of battle. In addition, they contradict our vision of the real world. We are going to shed some light on the reasons why such situations occur in the game and why it takes time to fix them.

 

Shells going through a tank (tracers going through objects)

Such in-game situations occur because the tracer and animation of the flying shell are drawn in the client with a small delay as compared to the real speed (~80% of the speed). The purpose of such a delay is to avoid the so-called “visual overshooting”: when a tracer is displayed beyond the impact point after the shell hits an object. As a result, when firing at a moving tank (especially, when a shell with low velocity is used), it may seem like the shell goes through the tank. A similar situation may occur, when the tracer of an enemy shell goes through material objects upon destruction.

The flight of a shell is simulated on the server at every step of in-game virtual time, as the server is unable to determine in advance at which point the shell will hit an object. When the shell hits the target, a separate command is sent to the game client. So it is impossible to display the shell and tracer in the client without a delay.

 

Camera swinging

Some touch-input devices have certain peculiarities in the operation of the screen, which can sometimes incorrectly process touch commands. This results in the incorrect operation of the controls and camera.

This situation is rather difficult to fix because if commands coming from the touch screen are “smoothed out”, tanks will lose their dynamics, which will have an adverse effect on the game process as a whole. So we are looking for a compromise solution in order to ensure a comfortable game for most players.

 

The reticle “sticking” to material objects

Such situations may occur in the following cases:

- In Arcade Mode, when you aim the marker at nearby vertical objects (except tanks), the gun intentionally ignores the marker to preserve a horizontal position and to be able to quickly take a shot after driving from cover. This is an example of game specifics, not a bug.

- In Sniper Mode, the edges of objects displayed on the screen may not exactly coincide with the real ones: the highest level of detail is applied to close objects, while for the purposes of physical calculations and aiming, the lowest level of detail is used. This is implemented in order to reduce the load on the CPU and improve game performance.

 

Incorrect operation of auto-aim (including situations when many tanks gather in a small area of the map)

In some cases, vehicles captured by auto-aim do not correspond to the player’s plans. We have tested different mechanics for auto-aiming, and the current version proved to be the most suitable one. Unfortunately, none of the models of the auto-aim behavior is able to predict the thoughts and intentions of the player, so it is impossible to fully eliminate such situations.

 

The tank being stuck inside different objects on the map

Due to the specifics of map terrain, static objects, and tank collision models, as well as physical restrictions (related to the accuracy of simulation), situations sometimes occur where a tank gets inside objects or gets stuck in them and is unable to move. When the tank gets stuck, it is affected by buoyancy forces from several sides, which exceed the propulsive force of the engine. When the tank gets inside closed objects, buoyancy forces compensating each other are in effect, so the tank gets the ability to pass through the wall.

As these bugs occur in specific places on maps and relate to particular tanks, they cannot be fixed altogether at once. All reports of such bugs are examined thoroughly, and then the respective fixes are made to the map or tank model. Nevertheless, new issues are regularly found. So we work on improving the accuracy of game physics, which will allow us to, if not to completely eliminate this problem, then significantly decrease the number of occurrences. The serious reworking of such a complicated in-game aspect like physics takes a lot of time for objective reasons.

 

Keep in mind that this article is made not for listing all the ingame problems but for explaining the most frequent issues which players consider as bugs. 



talhaONE #2 Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 15190 battles
  • 2,873
  • [CZZR]
  • Member since:
    09-26-2016

View PostRibbleStripe, on 14 February 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Shells going through a tank (tracers going through objects)

Such in-game situations occur because the tracer and animation of the flying shell are drawn in the client with a small delay as compared to the real speed (~80% of the speed). The purpose of such a delay is to avoid the so-called “visual overshooting”: when a tracer is displayed beyond the impact point after the shell hits an object. As a result, when firing at a moving tank (especially, when a shell with low velocity is used), it may seem like the shell goes through the tank. A similar situation may occur, when the tracer of an enemy shell goes through material objects upon destruction.

The flight of a shell is simulated on the server at every step of in-game virtual time, as the server is unable to determine in advance at which point the shell will hit an object. When the shell hits the target, a separate command is sent to the game client. So it is impossible to display the shell and tracer in the client without a delay.

This annoying and only happening on wot blitz.For example in battlefield 4 projectiles are way slower then compared to blitz but i never saw a ghost shell.This is annoying af and needs to be fixed in blitz.



Cancracker #3 Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:00 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 58942 battles
  • 5,893
  • [COBRA]
  • Member since:
    08-23-2013

View PostRibbleStripe, on 14 February 2018 - 08:19 AM, said:

 

Incorrect operation of auto-aim (including situations when many tanks gather in a small area of the map)

In some cases, vehicles captured by auto-aim do not correspond to the player’s plans. We have tested different mechanics for auto-aiming, and the current version proved to be the most suitable one. Unfortunately, none of the models of the auto-aim behavior is able to predict the thoughts and intentions of the player, so it is impossible to fully eliminate such situations.

 

On PC when a target is locked it's locked no matter what until it becomes invisible. On mobile it's not the case. What happens here is while being locked on one tank, the lock can be picked up by another tank while the previously locked tank is visible. That's the problem. In case that second tank would drive in front of the first tank it might be considered a feature but when you have another tank driving behind the first tank and picking up the lock it's a bit of a bug. Maybe autoaim settings could be implemented but the situation is becoming extreme when a player is in a close duel and a tank in the distance picks up the lock and turns the turret away from the first tank. 


"X 5 weekend, 10 games 9 losses ...
Some seals will be getting sooooo clubbed in the next couple of weeks."
                                                                                                             jonty_2014


jylpah #4 Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12231 battles
  • 4,184
  • [AFK]
  • Member since:
    08-05-2014

View PostRibbleStripe, on 14 February 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

The reticle “sticking” to material objects

Such situations may occur in the following cases:

- In Arcade Mode, when you aim the marker at nearby vertical objects (except tanks), the gun intentionally ignores the marker to preserve a horizontal position and to be able to quickly take a shot after driving from cover. This is an example of game specifics, not a bug.

 

The tank being stuck inside different objects on the map

keep in mind that this article is made not for listing all the ingame problems but for explaining the most frequent issues which players consider as bugs. 

 

Big thanks for taking time to explain these to us. Lot of useful knowledge.

 

What comes to aiming in arcade mode. I cannot help but consider it a bug when a properly aimed shot in Arcade mode goes wrong way if a destructible object gets in between. It seems one cannot aim through destructible objects in the arcade view at all.

 

Sometimes tanks get stuck on ridiculous stones or corners of a rock that do not resemble the real world physics at all. Most often I have driven too close to a corner of a rock and then the tank gets stuck on the corner. Its a very annoying experience.

 

And finally, could you please let the Arcade camera to go inside solid objects when the tank is near buildings/stone/etc it is utterly maddening experience to get stuck on some little rock near a building and being unable to see what is the problem. It feels to game is failing, not you. This is a huge issue especially to new players.

 

 

 

 


"All game mechanics work equally for all players." , WarGaming

Jylpah @EU  Jylpah @Asia  Tier V-X Tank Ranking      Jylpah is SKUX


Mjr_Eazy #5 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 19126 battles
  • 3,363
  • [BT_SV]
  • Member since:
    04-26-2017
Great article RibbleStripe and all very interesting stuff.  One additional one I’d like to know if its considered a bug or peculiarity is where your near a building and camera gets stuck behind it so you cant see your tank or even worse the red one in front of you.  Flicking to sniper mode helps in most cases but it is extremely annoying especially when the red gets a free shot cos you cant see them.

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy


Chairman_merpug #6 Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:03 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 35643 battles
  • 7,859
  • [AFK]
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013
Like jylpah and Mjr_Eazy said, the irritating proximity-to-buildings display snafu needs sorting. One of the oldest and most irritating "features" of the game.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug


llo1 #7 Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 25339 battles
  • 4,805
  • [1RTR]
  • Member since:
    06-27-2014

Like others have said before, the actual view of/ from your tank when in close proximity of a solid object/ building/hill etc is simply something that has been ongoing since the first time I played this game. As such therefore, and following numerous complaints etc, it is not a peculiarity but is a bug.

 

Shells going through a tank (tracers going through objects)

Such in-game situations occur because the tracer and animation of the flying shell are drawn in the client with a small delay as compared to the real speed (~80% of the speed). The purpose of such a delay is to avoid the so-called “visual overshooting”: when a tracer is displayed beyond the impact point after the shell hits an object. As a result, when firing at a moving tank (especially, when a shell with low velocity is used), it may seem like the shell goes through the tank. A similar situation may occur, when the tracer of an enemy shell goes through material objects upon destruction.

The flight of a shell is simulated on the server at every step of in-game virtual time, as the server is unable to determine in advance at which point the shell will hit an object. When the shell hits the target, a separate command is sent to the game client. So it is impossible to display the shell and tracer in the client without a delay.

 

As to the above, this situation is really intolerable. Your comments that it "may seem like the shell goes through the tank" bears no relationship to actual in game occurrence where you are repeatedly told either "that one missed" when it is aimed at a stationary target, or conversely you see an impact on any fixed scenery behind your target, and at a point where it must have gone straight through without causing any damage to the target!

I don't know about anyone else, but this is an occurrence from every game, and sometimes more than a single time each game.

 

Both of these points have a significant detrimental impact on the outcome of the game and as such should be given a priority by WG, rather than other topics which have zero effect on gameplay.

 

The other topics you cover in your post contain bugs which I personally only encounter occasionally, so even though others might think they are important to them, are not in my immediate concerns!

 


 
Certified member, Save the Littlepard Foundation

minitelrose #8 Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:02 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 58494 battles
  • 6,939
  • [AFK]
  • Member since:
    07-06-2014

View Postjylpah, on 14 February 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

 

Big thanks for taking time to explain these to us. Lot of useful knowledge.

 

What comes to aiming in arcade mode. I cannot help but consider it a bug when a properly aimed shot in Arcade mode goes wrong way if a destructible object gets in between. It seems one cannot aim through destructible objects in the arcade view at all. 

 

Sometimes tanks get stuck on ridiculous stones or corners of a rock that do not resemble the real world physics at all. Most often I have driven too close to a corner of a rock and then the tank gets stuck on the corner. Its a very annoying experience.

 

And finally, could you please let the Arcade camera to go inside solid objects when the tank is near buildings/stone/etc it is utterly maddening experience to get stuck on some little rock near a building and being unable to see what is the problem. It feels to game is failing, not you. This is a huge issue especially to new players.

 

 

 

 

 

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 14 February 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

Great article RibbleStripe and all very interesting stuff.  One additional one I’d like to know if its considered a bug or peculiarity is where your near a building and camera gets stuck behind it so you cant see your tank or even worse the red one in front of you.  Flicking to sniper mode helps in most cases but it is extremely annoying especially when the red gets a free shot cos you cant see them.

 

View Postmrpgilbert, on 14 February 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

Like jylpah and Mjr_Eazy said, the irritating proximity-to-buildings display snafu needs sorting. One of the oldest and most irritating "features" of the game.

 

this.

just many years of this.

 

The other day I again drove up to a building wall while driving a light tank and shooting a target, and i could never figure where I was, where that wall was, and where was the correct direction to get out of the situation, because I just couldn’t see my tank or that wall, instead i just got stuck and got shot to death. 

 

4 years of asking this, dude, Ribble. Four years. How do you like this game ?


Edited by minitelrose, 15 February 2018 - 12:19 AM.

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

 


JJSawry #9 Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:40 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 27876 battles
  • 1,851
  • [EU]
  • Member since:
    11-21-2016

View Postminitelrose, on 14 February 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

 

 

 

this.

just many years of this.

 

The other day I again drove up to a building wall while driving a light tank and shooting a target, and i could never figure where I was, where that wall was, and where was the correct direction to get out of the situation, because I just couldn’t see my tank or that wall, instead i just got stuck and got shot to death. 

 

4 years of asking this, dude, Ribble. Four years. How do you like this game ?

 

A small workaround would be to add to arcade mode that little tank model that you get in sniper mode, that shows relative orientation of hull+turret.

Also, a secondary autoaim toggle on the right as well may be?



jylpah #10 Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:51 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12231 battles
  • 4,184
  • [AFK]
  • Member since:
    08-05-2014

View PostJJSawry, on 15 February 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

 

A small workaround would be to add to arcade mode that little tank model that you get in sniper mode, that shows relative orientation of hull+turret.

Also, a secondary autoaim toggle on the right as well may be?

 

The Arcade camera just needs to go inside buildings the get reasonable field of view. Just like the PC WoT camera used to function. I think it is as screwed up today though.

"All game mechanics work equally for all players." , WarGaming

Jylpah @EU  Jylpah @Asia  Tier V-X Tank Ranking      Jylpah is SKUX


minitelrose #11 Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:56 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 58494 battles
  • 6,939
  • [AFK]
  • Member since:
    07-06-2014

View PostJJSawry, on 15 February 2018 - 02:40 AM, said:

 

A small workaround would be to add to arcade mode that little tank model that you get in sniper mode, that shows relative orientation of hull+turret.

Also, a secondary autoaim toggle on the right as well may be?

 

Allow camera to enter buildings.

and add walls to that little tank model. 

2 easy solutions. FFS 4 years.

 

as for the right hand autoaim, I had never thought of it, and suddenly 2 months ago I changed my fire button layout just to realize how much this is badly needed.

 


Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

 


llo1 #12 Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 25339 battles
  • 4,805
  • [1RTR]
  • Member since:
    06-27-2014

Come on WG.....Bugs or peculiarities.......no simply either incompetent or cheating!

You choose, I know which one I think!


 
Certified member, Save the Littlepard Foundation

I_AMADEUS_I #13 Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 33969 battles
  • 100
  • [L1VE]
  • Member since:
    02-04-2017

(The issues that I'm going to write below is going to be about Windows 10/ Steam version of World of Tanks Blitz.)

 

-A serious in-battle lag when an enemy spotted by me/my team.

-Again a serious lag at the times of changing missions. (Twice a day.)(This makes me crazy if I'm a battle at these times.)

-Sometimes, some tanks' track moving animation doesn't work. The tanks lookin like they're slidin on the earth. (I mostly see this bug on the JgE100 and the E100)(Well it's not an important bug, but I'd like to report.)

 

That's all I can remember.

 

(This post is going to be edited when I realized another issue in the future.)

 



AGGELINA #14 Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 31371 battles
  • 11
  • [GR33]
  • Member since:
    06-27-2014
game is full of bot users with big wallets. wargaming knows that but since they pay a lot they let them play. DONT PAY!DONT PAY!DONT BE IDIOTS!F UCK BOT USERS F UCK WARGAMING BUSINESS! ΣΑΣ ΓΑΜΩ ΤΟ ΜΟΥΝΙ ΤΗΣ ΜΑΝΑΣ ΣΑΣ ΑΝ ΤΟ ΔΙΑΓΡΑΨΕΤΕ.ΚΑΡΙΟΛΗΔΕΣ!

Edited by AGGELINA, 25 February 2018 - 09:17 PM.


floorcutter #15 Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 36055 battles
  • 697
  • [VG]
  • Member since:
    05-07-2014

Just now i had a game on Copperfield where i got kicked back to the garage in the middle of a battle???

There was about 3 min left on the clock. 3 reds and 2 greens alive. I was still alive.

In the garage the tank was not in battle. I could just pick annother battle and the was no battle report to be seen ??

 

Anyone else tryed the same ? Except from the ones who was in that abowe battle.



Mjr_Eazy #16 Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 19126 battles
  • 3,363
  • [BT_SV]
  • Member since:
    04-26-2017

View Postfloorcutter, on 28 February 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

Just now i had a game on Copperfield where i got kicked back to the garage in the middle of a battle???

There was about 3 min left on the clock. 3 reds and 2 greens alive. I was still alive.

In the garage the tank was not in battle. I could just pick annother battle and the was no battle report to be seen ??

 

Anyone else tryed the same ? Except from the ones who was in that abowe battle.

I had one yesterday, didnt show in results, screen went black said Please wait and then dumped back to garage.  It was Castilla, less than a minute in so still 7-7...

Edit: I was in SU-100Y using iMac on OSX El Capitan?  You?  I’ve posted to Current Update so mythical moderators may see it and any extra info would be useful...


Edited by Mjr_Eazy, 01 March 2018 - 10:59 AM.

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy


humanity_hero #17 Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 7933 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    11-22-2013

Block Quote

Camera swinging

Some touch-input devices have certain peculiarities in the operation of the screen, which can sometimes incorrectly process touch commands. This results in the incorrect operation of the controls and camera.

This situation is rather difficult to fix because if commands coming from the touch screen are “smoothed out”, tanks will lose their dynamics, which will have an adverse effect on the game process as a whole. So we are looking for a compromise solution in order to ensure a comfortable game for most players.

Never encountered this one on my previous phones but on Google Pixel 2 XL this is a major issue.

I mean think about it - pretty annoying when you try to control the tank with both navigation AND camera rotation (to aim and shoot on the move) and your camera (and the turret obviously) go bat-sh%t crazy around 40%-60% of the time.

 

I understand it is not easy to fix, but would like to point out the seriousness of the issue.

 



llo1 #18 Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 25339 battles
  • 4,805
  • [1RTR]
  • Member since:
    06-27-2014

Yet again, the WG servers are struggling at certain times, with what I assume is overload as the game swings from operating "the way it is designed" to totally broken.

By broken I mean shots perfectly aimed disappear or go "straight through" target tanks. Doesn't occur the other way all the time as I keep getting penned by tanks that do not appear to have the "line of sight". Obviously they have moved and not registered due to the lag!

Tanks "driving themselves " not in the direction indicated by the display, tanks not stopping and going into things, or out of cover.

Tanks that remain invisible until you either turn a corner (less than 50m of course) and find all the red team in front of you, without any notice to you, BUT they are all primed and ready aiming at you so they are all pre warned! And that is in a slow tank so it cannot be the speed of your tank that puts you into that position.

But as this doesn't happen every game, WG are totally in denial that there is a problem.

 


Edited by llo1, 10 March 2018 - 08:34 AM.

 
Certified member, Save the Littlepard Foundation

porkiepie #19 Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 5883 battles
  • 28
  • [7ARMD]
  • Member since:
    09-11-2012
One more little problem, over last 3 days i keep getting intermittent ( maybe 1 or 2 times a day)  stop of sounds and movement of my vehicle for about 5-6 sec and then it restarts working. not a pc graphics issue cos you can see team mates and enemy moving whilst this happens. im playing on a pc. anyone else got same prob?

SmallOm #20 Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 37236 battles
  • 20
  • [CRNG]
  • Member since:
    05-06-2015

View PostRibbleStripe, on 14 February 2018 - 08:19 AM, said:

Camera swinging

Some touch-input devices have certain peculiarities in the operation of the screen, which can sometimes incorrectly process touch commands. This results in the incorrect operation of the controls and camera.

This situation is rather difficult to fix because if commands coming from the touch screen are “smoothed out”, tanks will lose their dynamics, which will have an adverse effect on the game process as a whole. So we are looking for a compromise solution in order to ensure a comfortable game for most players.

 

I have raised support tickets about getting "camera swinging" or ... more like wild uncontrollable jerking... only since getting the Android 8.0 upgrade on the Pixel tablet.  I was told it would be fixed in an upcoming update, but that was two updates ago, and it's still happening.

 

Are there Oreo-specific bugs here which are going to be fixed or is this some more general problem?  It seems unlikely it a device issue since it was working perfectly under Nougat.

 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users