Down is the new up

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

reekoiler #1 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23564 battles
  • [FTC-1]

I know, I know.   You should always go up on Middleburg.   But.   Four heavies v three, I am in the Type 62 Dragon (gold noob that I am).   If I say ‘up’ some might, some might not.   The reds will almost certainly have a plus.   So I say ‘city’ and the dopey heavies are only too glad to agree.   An unequal struggle ensues with their outnumbered and outflanked muppet heavies (who should have gone up) and they die.   The red right wing meanwhile bites on fresh air and finally, having fought my way through the town, I go up the other side!   And there I survey the whole battlefield, which is very clearly ours.

Knickerson, my apologies.

IrmaBecx #2 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21808 battles
  • [IRMA]

Agreed

I sometimes go city in Supremacy on Middleburg if we have a Heavy advantage. Heavys take one cap while Mediums and Lights harass the other, and then we kill any contesters there. Pull back, and wait for the red team to run out of patience on the hill, or if there's just a few of them, go up and wipe them out.

Trouble is, people don't always know to hide from incoming fire from the hill, because they've never been up there. But it has been known to work :)

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

reekoiler #3 Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23564 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostIrmaBecx, on 14 February 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

Agreed

I sometimes go city in Supremacy on Middleburg if we have a Heavy advantage. Heavys take one cap while Mediums and Lights harass the other, and then we kill any contesters there. Pull back, and wait for the red team to run out of patience on the hill, or if there's just a few of them, go up and wipe them out.

Trouble is, people don't always know to hide from incoming fire from the hill, because they've never been up there. But it has been known to work :)

Mine was encounter, but I agree.   I like sniping at B when we are taking A.

Chairman_merpug #4 Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34149 battles
  • [AFK]

View PosttalhaONE, on 14 February 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

Dont complain when you use op tank.You deserved that defeat.

What on earth are you talking about?

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

soulinthemachine #5 Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:21 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 33327 battles
  • [TENC]

View PosttalhaONE, on 14 February 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

Dont complain when you use op tank.You deserved that defeat.

He won it if you read the post . Some people post positive stuff- not just whinges.

talhaONE #6 Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14438 battles
  • [CZZR]

View Postsoulinthemachine, on 14 February 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

He won it if you read the post . Some people post positive stuff- not just whinges.

Nope i didnt even read the post.I just saw the type62 word and stopped reading.

reekoiler #7 Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23564 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PosttalhaONE, on 14 February 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

Nope i didnt even read the post.I just saw the type62 word and stopped reading.

LOL something to bear in mind when reading your posts.   No, the point of the story was that we won by not going up, a rare instance when it was correct to depart from ‘best’ play.

You are right that the T62 is OP but not when I play it.   Just about 50% with great games mixed with noobish ones.   It is great fun, though, and money well spent, not least because it prints money.

JJSawry #8 Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27001 battles
  • [EU]
I don't see how this is 'a rare instance'. Sometimes going hill is not an option. 

superschnitzelkoenig #9 Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42074 battles
  • [RA1D]

In supremacy going hill is stupid. You will just lose valuable time and then have to rush town as fast as possible. Its ok for your meds to quickly cap C if the enemy has no or a clearly inferior number of fast tanks but then meds should quickly come to assist heavies in town. If you are a heavy and your meds are at C dont go deep into town but go to a position (after capping b/a) where hill meds can support you.

In encounter games there is no clear favorite. Hill is only good if reds are stupid enough to try to trade vs the hill guys. Put 1-2tanks into cap and city gets the advantage. 

Stop Complaining...           ...Carry Harder!

IrmaBecx #10 Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 21808 battles
  • [IRMA]

View Postsuperschnitzelkoenig, on 14 February 2018 - 10:23 PM, said:

In supremacy going hill is stupid. 

Well sure, but it all depends on the team setup. If you can clear the hill and cap the hill cap fast, then hit the reds from the back while they're busy fighting your Heavys, it's a viable option.

https://twitter.com/IrmaBecx

Wat? OMG! IrmaDrivesTanks on Youtube!

The IrmaBecx School of Tank Philosophy

"Allez, bande de singes! Vous voulez vivre pour l'éternité?" - Ferdinand Foch, 8 Sep. 1914

Cancracker #11 Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 56346 battles
  • [COBRA]

View Postsuperschnitzelkoenig, on 14 February 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

In supremacy going hill is stupid. You will just lose valuable time and then have to rush town as fast as possible. Its ok for your meds to quickly cap C if the enemy has no or a clearly inferior number of fast tanks but then meds should quickly come to assist heavies in town. If you are a heavy and your meds are at C dont go deep into town but go to a position (after capping b/a) where hill meds can support you.

In encounter games there is no clear favorite. Hill is only good if reds are stupid enough to try to trade vs the hill guys. Put 1-2tanks into cap and city gets the advantage. 

It depends who is on your team and what will they do. And to say it's unequivocally stupid to go up the hill is simply wrong. Going up always has an advantage. The players that are down, even with 2 bases usually lose because you just need to get one tank down to fire on the spotted tanks to get them out of position and then they will be shot from above too. Also you can go down in a team either at base A or base B. The Reds need to be spread out. I won many more battles going up than down because usually the noob goimg up is favored against the noob staying down. If all go to the city I still go up alone and hit their rear although that's not so efficient if the team dies like flies. So going up is always better cause at worst you meet all Reds while at best you can take out 2-3 tanks without losing one. You already have a 2 tank advantage which coupled with being up trumps 2 bases. I have rarely lost such battles.

"X 5 weekend, 10 games 9 losses ...
Some seals will be getting sooooo clubbed in the next couple of weeks."
                                                                                                             jonty_2014

JJSawry #12 Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27001 battles
  • [EU]
From what I can tell, the legitimacy of going city gets affected too much by people's inability to tell when is the right time to push hard, and when it's time to stop pushing at all. I'm sure you've seen the games where heavies go through town and then keep going and going. Or games where 4 people hold 7 back until the flank hits.

reekoiler #13 Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:03 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23564 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostJJSawry, on 14 February 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

From what I can tell, the legitimacy of going city gets affected too much by people's inability to tell when is the right time to push hard, and when it's time to stop pushing at all. I'm sure you've seen the games where heavies go through town and then keep going and going. Or games where 4 people hold 7 back until the flank hits.

I agree.   Best play in WoTB is heavily affected by the quality of the players, which is kinda the point of my opening post.   What turned out to be a good idea would not have been so great had the reds stuck together, which is basic plan A on all maps in all situations.

Bjorngisli #14 Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:32 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 18814 battles
  • [FTC-1]
I almost always go city in supremacy and push on the opposite cap there. Works most of the time

jylpah #15 Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12229 battles
  • [AFK]

Going town in encounter mode works also if you have some heavy armored tanks like Maus, T95 which can can, can-can, can can cap while the desperate reds try to reset the cap one by one only to meet 155mm of love.

There are other maps too where Supremacy changes the meta: Black Goldville, Oasis Palms and Rockfield and come to my mind first. If our team has decent heavies, I prefer to go town on Black Goldville and cap BC. On Rockfield my favorite is is to cap AB. Few meds can quickly cap B and run. Resetting that later on is costly. On Oasis Palms the same - cap AB and win by cap points.

The only challenge with these plans that it is difficult for the teams to not to push. Many players do not understand how sometimes the best plan is just to wait.

Edited by jylpah, 15 February 2018 - 09:23 AM.

"WG does not balance tanks, they design imbalance into the game instead."

Jylpah @EU  Jylpah @Asia  Tier V-X Tank Ranking      Jylpah is SKUX

Tijgerhaai_XIV #16 Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8648 battles
  • [ALBA]
The Maus can can-can?

But can it can-can like Cancracker can-can can?

I'll get me coat.

jylpah #17 Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12229 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostTijgerhaai_XIV, on 15 February 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

The Maus can can-can?

But can it can-can like Cancracker can-can can?

Can you please explain what do you mean? can-can, you?

"WG does not balance tanks, they design imbalance into the game instead."

Jylpah @EU  Jylpah @Asia  Tier V-X Tank Ranking      Jylpah is SKUX

soulinthemachine #18 Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 33327 battles
  • [TENC]
Crack cans?

superschnitzelkoenig #19 Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42074 battles
  • [RA1D]

Ok maybe I've been misunderstood. I meant going "all up" in supremacy is stupid. Especially if you have several slow tanks. Cap points on middleburg go extremely fast so unless you can take out 2-3 noobish enemy meds at C you usually will be too slow to be back in town in force to stop the enemy team from winning. So what happens is either your team stays with the slow tanks and you lose by caps after a short battle or your fast tanks rush forward and meet a well-dug-in 7-tank-enemy in town. Either way you have a massive disadvantage that can only be made up for by a far better skilled team.

However, as I've said, there is nothing to be said against SOME teammembers going for a careful cap at C, while the Heavies and TDs cap their town base. With that of course it's important that the town people stay in a position where they can be supported. 

So basically this is bad:

And this is good:

Stop Complaining...           ...Carry Harder!

Cancracker #20 Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 56346 battles
  • [COBRA]

View Postsuperschnitzelkoenig, on 15 February 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

Ok maybe I've been misunderstood. I meant going "all up" in supremacy is stupid. Especially if you have several slow tanks. Cap points on middleburg go extremely fast so unless you can take out 2-3 noobish enemy meds at C you usually will be too slow to be back in town in force to stop the enemy team from winning. So what happens is either your team stays with the slow tanks and you lose by caps after a short battle or your fast tanks rush forward and meet a well-dug-in 7-tank-enemy in town. Either way you have a massive disadvantage that can only be made up for by a far better skilled team.

However, as I've said, there is nothing to be said against SOME teammembers going for a careful cap at C, while the Heavies and TDs cap their town base. With that of course it's important that the town people stay in a position where they can be supported. 

If you are talking about tournaments then I agree but when noob teams confront each other some don't even cap both bases in the city because they rush to shoot the team that's on the hill. And 7 well dug in? Come on... Noobs peek out sideways from behind corners or stay totally exposed, they kill the heavies in town but don't cap the other base. Or at least I get those teams. Maybe you have a different experience in random battles or speak about ranked and tournaments.

"X 5 weekend, 10 games 9 losses ...
Some seals will be getting sooooo clubbed in the next couple of weeks."
                                                                                                             jonty_2014

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users