Jump to content


Why does the person who shouts things at me every battle have an American accent?


  • Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

_BeLLaTrix_PoTenS_ #1 Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:32 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 15293 battles
  • 66
  • [-BPS-]
  • Member since:
    08-27-2017

Ok so this isn't to be taken too seriously lol!

 

But my clan mates are mostly French, so obviously their game is in French too. So their crew speaks French. I tried it for a few battles but I got a bit tired of them saying 'load the Camembert!' Or whatever it is they are saying! XD

 

I tried it in German for a battle. And their crew is German speaking too. 

 

So How come when I select  English as the language, on the Eu server no less ; do I have a hyperactive American Rodeo Rider lying to me about how; 'The next one should finish them!' or yelling: 'Weeeeee got him!!" ? 

 

"No, I got him. How did you get in?"  

 

Why can't we have someone just say :

"not bad old chap" when you hit someone.

 

Or: "I say! We seem to have caught fire! What rotten luck!" 

 

Of course I am just joking, but it is a slight oversight not so much for the players from Britain, but for the authenticity factor too if you have all the other crews speaking in their correct languages which gives them their identity.

We suffer as we speak English and so do the Americans. (Well they try bless them! XD ) 

 

and while I am here: why can't they put a : 'other person is typing' cue in the game chat?

 

i press ready while in platoon and then suddenly I will  get asked a question or something by my platoon mate.

Half way through my sentence I am  cut off and in the battle loading bit!

 

It's annoying lol! XD 

 


Edited by _BeLLaTrix_PoTenS_, 24 March 2018 - 06:49 AM.


reekoiler #2 Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 47896 battles
  • 1,904
  • [FTC-1]
  • Member since:
    05-02-2017
Yes.   English english please.

Cancracker #3 Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:01 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 70902 battles
  • 5,891
  • [CFG]
  • Member since:
    08-23-2013
Because they are the majority of native English speakers and people all over the world come in contact with American English mostly so you wouldn't want to have them confused. 

"X 5 weekend, 10 games 9 losses ...
Some seals will be getting sooooo clubbed in the next couple of weeks."
                                                                                                             jonty_2014


SAX0N_WARRI0R #4 Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:03 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 44903 battles
  • 518
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013
Yes! WG listen to this human :great:

Chairman_merpug #5 Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:06 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 51257 battles
  • 9,400
  • [AFK]
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013

View PostCancracker, on 24 March 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

Because they are the majority of native English speakers and people all over the world come in contact with American English mostly so you wouldn't want to have them confused. 

 

Whether that's true or not, how is it relevant? This is the EU server, so by definition the majority of the English speakers on this server won't be speaking US English. In fact, there are quite possibly more English speaking players on here than on the NA server.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug


EndToast_LOCA #6 Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:06 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 36492 battles
  • 1,327
  • [LOCA]
  • Member since:
    09-03-2012
That "other person is typing" cue would be so effective, I'm really looking forward to it!

Tijgerhaai_XIV #7 Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:52 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12239 battles
  • 2,207
  • [ALBA]
  • Member since:
    06-08-2016
I think the crew should have Welsh accents for comedy effect.

Or maybe Yorkshire.

And sadly the US influence is strong in the EU. Even in the Netherlands where they have something of a fetish for the British (owing to our non-French-or-German-ness) many people speak English with an American accent, especially non natives.

 


Mjr_Eazy #8 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 31142 battles
  • 6,875
  • [BT_SV]
  • Member since:
    04-26-2017

Yes please!  

They could use lines from classic films, I’d go for British myself...

When things are getting squeaky over in the heavies or meds and I’m in the other tank type, I find myself typing

“Hold them!  HOLD THEM!” Which would be awesome with Michael Caine shouting it!

or when finishing off the last red burpa...

“kill them! kill them all!” “Attack! attack! kill kill” 

or we could have this gem for when you’re last green standing...

“we haven’t the proper facilities to take you all prisoner. Sorry!” Or “Infamy! Infamy! The’ve all got it in for me”

or when down to your last few hp “It’s just a flesh wound”

I’m not sure where to fit this in but..

”Fire at will!  Poor Will what has he done?”

 


547146227.png

 


jonty_2014 #9 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 70859 battles
  • 5,127
  • [EMRS]
  • Member since:
    09-23-2014

View PostTijgerhaai_XIV, on 24 March 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

I think the crew should have Welsh accents for comedy effect.

Or maybe Yorkshire.

And sadly the US influence is strong in the EU. Even in the Netherlands where they have something of a fetish for the British (owing to our non-French-or-German-ness) many people speak English with an American accent, especially non natives.

 

 

‘Fook me that were close’

 

’Ow do lads’ 

 

‘Stitch that lad’

 

‘Our kid’s copped it’

 

Yes, we need the northern UK tank crew mod. 


Empros is recruiting! Message me in game to apply.


Cancracker #10 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 70902 battles
  • 5,891
  • [CFG]
  • Member since:
    08-23-2013

View Postmrpgilbert, on 24 March 2018 - 08:06 AM, said:

 

Whether that's true or not, how is it relevant? This is the EU server, so by definition the majority of the English speakers on this server won't be speaking US English. In fact, there are quite possibly more English speaking players on here than on the NA server.

 

It is relevant cause even if there are more English speakers, they are more familiar with the American culture. First contact with native English speakers is made through television probably and that's dominated by American movies. Plus American is easier to understand on the whole continent while only in London there are accents which make the language hard to understand let alone the rest of the island.


"X 5 weekend, 10 games 9 losses ...
Some seals will be getting sooooo clubbed in the next couple of weeks."
                                                                                                             jonty_2014


Knickerson #11 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 33368 battles
  • 2,433
  • [ICN]
  • Member since:
    01-14-2015

As far as English accents go, I imagine the poshness of David Niven or Peter Sellers, as in, "Oh, dear ..."

 

Is it me, or couldn't Peter Sellers have done all radio bits in the proper accent?


Cry "Havoc,"
And let slip the dogs of war.
 
William Shakespeare
Julius Caesar – Act 3, scene 1

RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #12 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 49809 battles
  • 3,665
  • [RA1D]
  • Member since:
    12-30-2014
If they are gonna go for an American Accent they should at least include a Southern one, Alabama/Mississippi or the likes... I always wanted wotb to turn into some tarantino style experience. Besides, everything is better than the boring east coast American ... Maybe besides bushkas horrible Aussie "language".

 

Stop Complaining...           ...Carry Harder!


Mjr_Eazy #13 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 31142 battles
  • 6,875
  • [BT_SV]
  • Member since:
    04-26-2017

View PostCancracker, on 24 March 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

 

It is relevant cause even if there are more English speakers, they are more familiar with the American culture. First contact with native English speakers is made through television probably and that's dominated by American movies. Plus American is easier to understand on the whole continent while only in London there are accents which make the language hard to understand let alone the rest of the island.

 

Whey aye bonny lad, that’s a reet canny point ye made...

Even better would be a bit of pitmatic from my home town...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumberland-day-ashington-accent-its-13103744.amp


547146227.png

 


InternetEntity #14 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Player
  • 36445 battles
  • 699
  • [AFK]
  • Member since:
    10-05-2015

View Postjonty_2014, on 24 March 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

 

 

“Fook me that were close”

 

“ ‘Ow do lads”

 

“Stitch that lad” 

 

Ar kid’s cop’t it”

 

Yes, we need the northern UK tank crew mod. 

Nearly mate.

 

‘Our’ is pronounced a bit like ‘hour’, so you hsve to drop the imaginary ‘h’.

As for anything endinging in ‘ed’, in my experiance of the dialect this is where all those dropped ‘t’ fall out again. 



Cancracker #15 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 70902 battles
  • 5,891
  • [CFG]
  • Member since:
    08-23-2013

View Postsuperschnitzelkoenig, on 24 March 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

If they are gonna go for an American Accent they should at least include a Southern one, Alabama/Mississippi or the likes... I always wanted wotb to turn into some tarantino style experience. Besides, everything is better than the boring east coast American ... Maybe besides bushkas horrible Aussie "language".

 

I bet you find the German voices boring too. Maybe they should include Swiss German. Now that would be funny.

"X 5 weekend, 10 games 9 losses ...
Some seals will be getting sooooo clubbed in the next couple of weeks."
                                                                                                             jonty_2014


_BeLLaTrix_PoTenS_ #16 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 15293 battles
  • 66
  • [-BPS-]
  • Member since:
    08-27-2017

 

View PostCancracker, on 24 March 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

 

It is relevant cause even if there are more English speakers, they are more familiar with the American culture. First contact with native English speakers is made through television probably and that's dominated by American movies. Plus American is easier to understand on the whole continent while only in London there are accents which make the language hard to understand let alone the rest of the island.

 

 Your points are valid and you are right in what you say, but it really was supposed to be  tongue in cheek! 

I did stress it wasn’t to be  taken too seriously lol!

It was just something I noticed yesterday so I thought a light hearted  topic like this could be fun for the weekend! 


Edited by _BeLLaTrix_PoTenS_, 24 March 2018 - 09:55 AM.


Titus_Scato #17 Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 42158 battles
  • 8,306
  • [1RTR]
  • Member since:
    10-18-2014

Suggestions for British crew messages:

 

Shot Bounced

US: We didn't even scratch them!
British: You need to do more than scratch their paint, gunner.

US: That one didn't go through!
British: No joy with that one, I'm afraid.

US: We didn't penetrate their armor!
British: Sorry, didn't penetrate their armour.

US: It bounced off!
British: Gunner, did you just shoot my tennis ball at them?

US: That one ricocheted!
British: I think we need a bigger gun, sir.

US: Ricochet.
British: Pting!

US: We've just dinged them.
British: That's a lovely dent, gunner. Not going to stop him, though, is it?


Shot Penetrated

US: Punched right through their armor!
British: Went through like a rivet, sir!

US: We've hit them hard!
British: We've hit them for six!

US: They're hit!
British: That's a hit!

US: Another one like that should finish them!
British: One more like that should do the job!

US: Nice shot!
British: I say, good shot!

US: Enemy is hit.
British: Hit him, but he's not out yet.

US: Enemy armor is damaged.
British: Enemy armour damaged, sir.

US: Penetration.
British: They don't like it up 'em!

US: We've got them.
British: He's out!


Critical Damage To Enemy

US: Critical hit!
British: Spot on, old bean!

US: We nailed them bad!
British: That gave him a bloody nose!

US: That's gotta hurt!
British: Ouch, bet that hurt!

US: Looks like that one went right through!
British: Went in like a knife through butter!


Enemy On Fire

US: Enemy on fire!
British: He's getting a bit toasty over there.

US: Enemy fuel tank is hit!
British: I say, is he having a barbecue on his engine deck?

US: We've torched him!
British: Oh, I do love a bonfire.

US: We lit that one up good!
British: He's brewing up!


Enemy Knocked Out

US: Enemy destroyed!
British: Enemy destroyed.

US: Another one down!
British: Another one out for the count!

US: Enemy vehicle eliminated!
British: Enemy vehicle wiped out!

US: Gotcha!
British: Cor blimey, look at 'im burn!

US: Enemy vehicle knocked out!
British: Enemy vehicle knocked out!

US: Got'em!
British: Got'im, sir!

US: We finished him off!
British: We've put him out of the fight!

US: He's gone - find us another target!
British: Another satisfied customer. Let's find another one!

US: They're knocked out.  
British: They're knocked out, jolly good show!

US: Enemy armor is destroyed.
British: Enemy vehicle destroyed!


Friendly Fire
US: That was one of ours!
British: Whoops, that was one of ours!

US: We've killed a friendly!
British: Why, you little rotter! You've killed a friendly!

US: We've destroyed one of our own vehicles!
British: Who do you think you are, Jack the Ripper?

US: We've hit one of our own vehicles!
British: Gunner, when I said 'fire at will', that did NOT include our own side!


Player On Fire

US: We're on fire! Put it out!
British: We're on fire! Put it out!

US: Put out the fire!
British: Put that blasted fire out!

US: Grab a fire extinguisher and put that out!
British: Fire!! Where's the fire extinguisher?!?

US: Smother those flames!
British: Quick, smother those flames!

US: Fire, put it out quickly!  
British: Fire! Don't panic! DON'T PANIC!

US: We're on fire!
British: Getting a bit too warm down here, sir!


Player Knocked Out

US: We're done for!
British: We've had it, bail out!

US: Bail out. This vehicle has had it!
British: That's it, everyone out!

US: Vehicle destroyed!  
British: This tin can is fit only for scrap.

US: We're done for! Get out!
British: That's it, everyone out!

US: Bail out! We're finished!  
British: Bail out, chaps! We're finished!  

US: We've had it! Let's get out of here!
British: Cor blimey, I'm gettin' out of 'ere!

 


Edited by Titus_Scato, 24 March 2018 - 10:35 AM.


RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #18 Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 49809 battles
  • 3,665
  • [RA1D]
  • Member since:
    12-30-2014

View PostCancracker, on 24 March 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

 

I bet you find the German voices boring too. Maybe they should include Swiss German. Now that would be funny.

That would actually be hilarious... Mir händ en nödemal aakratzt... Though it would have to be in St. Gallese accent... Nothing sounds as stupid as St. Gallese accent.

 


Edited by superschnitzelkoenig, 24 March 2018 - 10:48 AM.

 

Stop Complaining...           ...Carry Harder!


minitelrose #19 Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 76587 battles
  • 8,019
  • [AFK]
  • Member since:
    07-06-2014

 

View Post_BeLLaTrix_PoTenS_, on 24 March 2018 - 07:32 AM, said:

Ok so this isn't to be taken too seriously lol!

 

But my clan mates are mostly French, so obviously their game is in French too. So their crew speaks French. I tried it for a few battles but I got a bit tired of them saying 'load the Camembert!' Or whatever it is they are saying! XD

 

I tried it in German for a battle. And their crew is German speaking too. 

 

So How come when I select  English as the language, on the Eu server no less ; do I have a hyperactive American Rodeo Rider lying to me about how; 'The next one should finish them!' or yelling: 'Weeeeee got him!!" ? 

 

"No, I got him. How did you get in?"  

 

Why can't we have someone just say :

"not bad old chap" when you hit someone.

 

Or: "I say! We seem to have caught fire! What rotten luck!" 

 

Of course I am just joking, but it is a slight oversight not so much for the players from Britain, but for the authenticity factor too if you have all the other crews speaking in their correct languages which gives them their identity.

We suffer as we speak English and so do the Americans. (Well they try bless them! XD ) 

 

and while I am here: why can't they put a : 'other person is typing' cue in the game chat?

 

i press ready while in platoon and then suddenly I will  get asked a question or something by my platoon mate.

Half way through my sentence I am  cut off and in the battle loading bit!

 

It's annoying lol! XD 

 

 

 

Op, i saw you in game yesterday  ! Hello !

 

I have written in favor for more crew voice for ever. 

In fact I would pay for better acting, more accents, etc...

at least, as a mod library, let people make their own crew !

but wargaming is not going to do it.

first of all, sounds are a large part of the size. thats a big constraint.

secondly, they are busy and have higher priority stuff.

that really suck.

 


Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

 


_BeLLaTrix_PoTenS_ #20 Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 15293 battles
  • 66
  • [-BPS-]
  • Member since:
    08-27-2017

I forgot to add that there is also a British tank line, so I thought that might make someone at some point think of the British stereotype while they designed it. 

I have been informed the game is Russian, but I have also been informed that there are one or two  tanks in the Russian line that are actually British too! 

 

But again im not upset by it or anything! 

 

View PostCancracker, on 24 March 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

Because they are the majority of native English speakers and people all over the world come in contact with American English mostly so you wouldn't want to have them confused. 

And I thought about this again.

Actually it holds no water whatsoever unfortunately.

I  think you are doing the colonial thing of assuming everyone gets an English version like we must get.

There is no need to put it in a universally understood English for non natives to understand. As it will have the game language to your region, and even if you move you can change them. 

Thats how my non native English speaking French clan mates play. In French. 

 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users