DNS Server change improved performance?!

Lag Ping

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

DumbApe #1 Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:03 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 22851 battles
  • [HRG]

Not too sure about this but I thought I would share to see if it helped others... 

Recently a firm called Cloudfire introduced a free DNS service that was both private and supposedly highly performing. 

You can find out more at if you do a google search for "1.1.1.1" - I changed my DNS over to this to try it out for my browser and it seemed to be a bit faster. I don't know why, but since I made this change I have noticed that the Ping rate is noticeably lower - mostly < 40 very often <30 and even <20 in the games today. I also haven't had any lag issues since the change which were blighting the game. 

Really not sure if I am imaging some of it,  but it might be useful for some of you folks.

* I am not connected with the firm in any way at all.    

Old dog with new tricks ...  and a stupid number of tanks. Not totally sh*te at this game but still working on it 

Clan commander Hell Raiser Gang [HRG] -   Bananas in aures habeo. Non possum te audiunt.

Mjr_Eazy #2 Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24847 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Interesting...

I hope llo1 reads this he seems to have massive lag problems...

I’m going to give it a go and will report back if I notice any difference.

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy

llo1 #3 Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27273 battles
  • [1RTR]

Well Mjr_Easy, like yourself I was interested in this, so today, I actually changed the setting on my iPad to the Cloudfire DNS.

Initial experience, ping still steady as previous , but the tanks seem to have improved motion. 

First 15 games, 15 wins (not all due to me of course) in tier 7.

This evening, played again, ping steady as previously, tanks motion seems good, but every game I am bottom tier...still missing 50% of shots into the ether! and after 6 losses on the trot, where I was top/second top scorer (noob teammates, afk players and what seems to be a "red" bias as every shot from them seems to pen!

The next set of battles winning again!

I will keep monitoring the set up, but up to now it might have improved the connection to the wG server, but will run another pingplotter soon!

Certified member, Save the Littlepard Foundation

Mjr_Eazy #4 Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24847 battles
  • [BT_SV]
I changed mine on my phone and the Mac, I’ve not done any measurements but it definitely feels better and I’ve noticed pings of 20-30 where I never noticed a ping below 40 before and I’ve not had the problems with tank not stopping / shots disappearing I had before changing it, I’m going to run it for a month, keep a note of lowest ping and then switch back to old settings to compare...

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

DumbApe #5 Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:14 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 22851 battles
  • [HRG]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 07 April 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

I changed mine on my phone and the Mac, I’ve not done any measurements but it definitely feels better and I’ve noticed pings of 20-30 where I never noticed a ping below 40 before and I’ve not had the problems with tank not stopping / shots disappearing I had before changing it, I’m going to run it for a month, keep a note of lowest ping and then switch back to old settings to compare...

for anyone even a bit techie I can imagine they will find this dubious and I agree.  However since I made the change I have only had a couple of  game issues, both when auto syncing (so not a  WG issue).. highest Ping I have seen is 41 and it is running regularly below 30.  No instances of Lag at all.  

Totally odd, but I appreciate the better performance  none the less.  Of course,  it might turnout that there has been a system upgrade or some such, but that would have sorted it the issues for more folks.

Old dog with new tricks ...  and a stupid number of tanks. Not totally sh*te at this game but still working on it 

Clan commander Hell Raiser Gang [HRG] -   Bananas in aures habeo. Non possum te audiunt.

llo1 #6 Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27273 battles
  • [1RTR]

Well I know that I have not played too much since I returned on Saturday, but since I have changed the server, blitzstars shows me the current situation.......and I know that it isn't simply down to me there are other players involved.

Will add a screenshot shortly!

Attached Files

• Attached File   IMG_3049.JPG   104.65K

Edited by llo1, 08 April 2018 - 08:05 AM.

Mjr_Eazy #7 Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24847 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View PostDumbApe, on 07 April 2018 - 10:14 PM, said:

for anyone even a bit techie I can imagine they will find this dubious and I agree.  However since I made the change I have only had a couple of  game issues, both when auto syncing (so not a  WG issue).. highest Ping I have seen is 41 and it is running regularly below 30.  No instances of Lag at all.  

Totally odd, but I appreciate the better performance  none the less.  Of course,  it might turnout that there has been a system upgrade or some such, but that would have sorted it the issues for more folks.

I’m not a network engineer but have a basic understanding of how DNS works...

The figures I’ve seen have the speed as twice that of googles service which is also pretty fast compared to many others, but as you say I’d not have expected DNS name resolution to make much difference as it’s not something you’d expect to be happening a lot...

As you say it could be co-incidental with the new update and I should try it with my original and new settings on the same version...

Although I still stand by my anecdotal “evidence” as I’d changed it before the update to 4.8 and noticed a difference in ping there.

DumbApe #8 Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 22851 battles
  • [HRG]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 08 April 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

Although I still stand by my anecdotal “evidence” as I’d changed it before the update to 4.8 and noticed a difference in ping there.

I agree and whilst it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me I certainly am enjoying a better connection.

Chairman_merpug #9 Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 41544 battles
  • [AFK]

Changing DNS server shouldn't change anything other than the time it takes to resolve the IP address of the WG server. However, I don't know how the game works inside, and it may need multiple iterations of that task, in which case performance will improve overall. 

Putting it simply; on a PC, open a command line window and type ping www.bbc.co.uk. You'll see this being resolved to an IP address (four sets of numbers separated by a dot, something like 231.45.134.79, which I've just made up), and then the response time for the packet of information to reach that address and get back to you. Change your DNS server and try again. Remove the DNS server and it'll hang and not be able to resolve the name to an IP address. Type in the known IP address of a device on the network, and it'll ping it no problem without a DNS server being configured.

Of course, an ISP could be doing something clever with routing packets when they are running the DNS.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

Mjr_Eazy #10 Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24847 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View Postmrpgilbert, on 08 April 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

Changing DNS server shouldn't change anything other than the time it takes to resolve the IP address of the WG server. However, I don't know how the game works inside, and it may need multiple iterations of that task, in which case performance will improve overall. 

Putting it simply; on a PC, open a command line window and type ping www.bbc.co.uk. You'll see this being resolved to an IP address (four sets of numbers separated by a dot, something like 231.45.134.79, which I've just made up), and then the response time for the packet of information to reach that address and get back to you. Change your DNS server and try again. Remove the DNS server and it'll hang and not be able to resolve the name to an IP address. Type in the known IP address of a device on the network, and it'll ping it no problem without a DNS server being configured.

Of course, an ISP could be doing something clever with routing packets when they are running the DNS.

I knew that much :) and I’d have expected it to be cached so maybe one lookup on login and another for battles as they may use different domain names but I wouldn’t have expected it to then matter in game but I’m defo getting lower ping still and was after changing it on 4.7 and 4.8, which is what myself and our not so dumb simian poster can’t understand...

It may well just be co-incidence, a change by WG or myriad other things including ‘choice-supportive bias’ but my ping is defo lower...

I think ;)

BarbierDeTvils #11 Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 55002 battles
  • [BOLD]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 08 April 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

I knew that much :) and I’d have expected it to be cached so maybe one lookup on login and another for battles as they may use different domain names but I wouldn’t have expected it to then matter in game but I’m defo getting lower ping still and was after changing it on 4.7 and 4.8, which is what myself and our not so dumb simian poster can’t understand...

It may well just be co-incidence, a change by WG or myriad other things including ‘choice-supportive bias’ but my ping is defo lower...

I think ;)

Hello, 

How do you change this in an iPad or an iPhone ? 

Thx in advance 

bdtv

Amicalement

BarbierDeTVils

Topic sur la rentabilité des Chars : http://forum.wotblit...alisee/#topmost (les tableaux de résultats sont dans le 3eme post du topic en page 1)

DMJF #12 Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 52010 battles
  • [HEULA]

Si vous souhaitez modifier le paramétrage DNS de votre appareil mobile sous iOS, que ce soit pour contourner un souci de DNS avec votre opérateur fixe ou simplement améliorer votre rapidité de navigation en Wi-Fi, c’est très simple.

Aller dans "Réglages/Wi-Fi". De là, tapoter sur l’icône 'i' à côté du réseau Wi-Fi utilisé.

Changer DNS iPhone (1) Changer DNS iPhone (2)

Faire défiler la page jusqu’à tomber sur le paramètre "DNS". Il ne reste qu’à tapoter sur l’adresse IP à quatre groupes de nombres pour rentrer celle de son choix.

On peut choisir le paramétrage DNS de Google (8.8.8.8 pour le serveur DNS préféré et 8.8.4.4 en DNS auxiliaire) ou celui d’OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 et 208.67.220.220).

Changer DNS iPhone (3) Chang (4)

Mjr_Eazy #13 Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24847 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View PostBarbierDeTvils, on 09 April 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Hello, 

Thx in advance 

bdtv

I used this gizmodo article...

https://gizmodo.com/how-to-speed-up-your-internet-and-protect-your-privacy-1824256587

SMERSH_T #14 Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:35 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 30797 battles
  • [EU]

Install this on your PC

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

and check your local DNS performance situation first before you fall for the Cloudflare hype.

jonty_2014 #15 Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 63540 battles
  • [EMRS]

View PostBarbierDeTvils, on 09 April 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Hello, 

Thx in advance 

bdtv

Follow first post...  

type in 1.1.1.1 and scroll down for the iOS instructions.

DumbApe #16 Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 22851 battles
  • [HRG]

Just did a search on DNS times for the past 30 days in light of what SMERSH_T said. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 17.39.48.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-09 at 17.38.50.png

As I have already mentioned I don't know why it is making a difference, but it does appear to be... 

llo1 #17 Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27273 battles
  • [1RTR]

Well following on from my previous post, and the graph showing the improved wr that I have managed since the change to the DNS, I have noticed that again my ping remains low, the tanks move better and playability is better.

Exactly why as aske by previous posts, I really don't know!

Yesterday and today, I am now travelling again and am using a different server Or ISP, not in the cloudfire system.....again I am having problems with lag, missing shots, invisible tanks, driving in circles etc etc!!!

It seems like that I will have to either stop using other wifi servers, or change all my possible wifi connections individually to the cloudfire DSP!

Unless someone can provide a fix that does everything in one go!

BarbierDeTvils #18 Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 55002 battles
  • [BOLD]

View Postjonty_2014, on 09 April 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

Follow first post...  

type in 1.1.1.1 and scroll down for the iOS instructions.

If i ask is because I didn’t find it in precedent posts and in the first post too....

Anyway after making you a response according to your first phrase and its form......

I typed 1.1.1.1 in my browser and I found it so... thx.

Thank you very much  to DMJF : excellent explanation, and to Mr_Eazy and Smersh_T too for their responses too

Edited by BarbierDeTvils, 09 April 2018 - 06:22 PM.

Amicalement

BarbierDeTVils

Topic sur la rentabilité des Chars : http://forum.wotblit...alisee/#topmost (les tableaux de résultats sont dans le 3eme post du topic en page 1)

Also tagged with Lag, Ping

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users