Update 5.1 Low Tier changes

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

stubbo66 #1 Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:55 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 71030 battles
  • [49DIV]

News from the Blitz Post/Blitz Hanger is suggesting that WG are for update 5.1 going to effectively nerf the user experience of all tier 1-4 tanks to level the playing field for new players.

So I'll post the news as it was posted rather than paraphrase...

The Blitz Post

Tier I-IV changes

• Tiers from I to IV now have less customization options.
• Tier I & Tier II tanks have only 1 consumable — Multi-Purpose Restoration Pack. No provisions, no equipment.
• Tier III tanks have 1 additional consumable option — Engine Power Boost. No provisions, no equipment.
• Tier IV tanks get all consumables and 1 provision of choice — Small Food or Small Fuel. No equipment.
• Tanks from Tier V get all equipment and same provisions as before.
(https://blitzhangar.com/en/update/5-1-preview)
- There will be 100% compensation for removed equipment slots tiers 1-4.
- Newbies playing in tier 4 vs tier 5 tanks
won't face experienced players with 9 slots
- Low-tier changes are made to make the first steps into the game easier for newcomers. The idea is there are too much difficult mechanics and in-game stuff for newbies.
- Changes for low tiers in 5.1 are just preliminary (Inciter)

Now I think this is a pretty reasonable thing for WG to do. I'm sure there will be howls of derision from seal clubbers everywhere, but to cultivate new players I think it's an absolutely fair thing to do.

For the most part, new players get through the low tiers in a matter of days (if not hours), but if the game is so hard when they start it turns them off then that's a bad thing.

It doesn't address the herd of elephants in the room though, the number of low WR / low game players in high tiers which is where most players feel the real pain.

Something I have noticed, as I am currently playing with only supremacy turned on (because I like a challenge) that there are rarely any players with over 50% WR playing it. Has everyone with a high WR turned off supremacy, is that a problem that needs to be looked at and addressed as well because if most high WR players are only playing encounter battles only then that will cause an imbalance and impact on the newer players heavily as well.

For example, in my trusty ARL, with both modes turned on, I get 70% WR, but with only supremacy turned on I struggle to get over around 63-65%. It's only a small dip, but it is noticeable that the higher the proportion of low WR players in a battle the more variable the results will be, sometimes you just can't carry hard enough.

But it's good to see WG looking at the dynamics, and also proposing changes in tank distribution in the MM as a means to try and level out the battles somewhat.

I think we'll see quite a few more changes over the coming months on this same topic.

Pururut #2 Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23562 battles
  • [1RTR_]
Titus.satisfaction.jpeg
Democracy is dead. Long live the republic.

Cancracker #3 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 66942 battles
  • [CFG]

Supremacy is a big shite, I turn it off cause I can't bear to lose games cause of bases with 3 noobs chasing a light tank and not thinking about capping bases.

When it comes to the low tier changes I'm pretty neutral on them. I don't believe there will be any real changes there. The only think that will happen is it will enable players to quicker fully equip a tank and progress in the game. Most already do that so not a problem there. Now regarding seal clubbers it will not change much. Seals will be plenty in the low tiers so it won't stop except that tier 4 won't be the tier of choice for seal clubbing anymore. I will be tier 3 and some tanks will still rule. In short, we'll see more noobs in tier 5 cause they will progress faster unless they buy a tier 8 outright, tier 4 won't be used for sealclubbing anymore and low tiers will be cheaper to play.

"X 5 weekend, 10 games 9 losses ...
Some seals will be getting sooooo clubbed in the next couple of weeks."
                                                                                                             jonty_2014

onlypainhurts #4 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 42975 battles
  • [XFIRE]

Wont really change anything,  Its not the equipment why new players are getting hammered.  

Though i can say this will be effectively the death of my tier 4 tanks,  Being iam an older experiences player my tier tanks that have been stripped of equipment will now face fully equipped tier 5's?    GG WG GG.   Tanks like my Covenanter that have bad pen without calibrated shells will become pretty useless.  

I think this is bad idea because anywhere they put this cut off there is going to be a big step between 2 tiers, 1 that has equipment and 1 that doesnt.

If they really want to make this game friendlier to new players they need to put them in a pool together so they only face similarly experienced players.   Let seal clubbers face other seal clubbers.   Sure will hurt cue times but thats better than creating a huge tier divide. 

"Oderint dum Metuant"

_RagingRabbit_ #5 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:17 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 14020 battles
  • [FTC-4]

I don't mind this, equipment is overrated imo, certainly in the lower tiers :) 

That said, I don't understand how this will level the playing field? Equipment and consumables are available for everyone, so a newbie with equipment against a sealclubber with equipment will just change into both without equipment. Equipment is now almost free in lower tiers - almost no credits have to be payed, that even people without premium account can fund them without any trouble. 

I still think that higher tiers should be restricted in some way. Newbies who stay longer in lower tiers will get better and less vulnerable to sealclubbers. The sealclubbers will go to higher tiers when they face better competition while sealclubbing. 

At least, that's my theory :D

The lack of consumables is something I don't understand tho. They are essential for everyone if you ask me. 

Titus_Scato #6 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42158 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostPururut, on 29 June 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Titus.satisfaction.jpeg

WG have gone a step further than what I asked for:

View PostTitus_Scato, on 08 June 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

While you are revamping the equipment system, please consider this anti-sealclubber suggestion:

Low tiers should have limited access to equipment slots.  

Tier I: Nothing.

Tiers II, III: 1st row only

Tiers IV, V, VI: 1st and 2nd rows only

Tiers VII and up: All 3 rows

This will prevent sealclubbers from unlocking all 9 slots on their favourite OP low tier tanks (e.g. Cruiser III, T-46, DW2, T-34, Cromwell) and completely outclassing the newer players in terms of equipment.  No more VStabs until Tier VII will make a big difference to sealclubber effectiveness.

Obviously, players who have exceeded the above limits should have those slots re-locked, and the spare parts / credits they spent on unlocking them refunded.

​With my idea there is a gradual phase-in of equipment.

With the maximum equipment point being Tier V instead of VII, I would now suggest:

Tiers I, II: Nothing.

Tier III: 1st row only

Tier IV: 1st and 2nd rows only

Tiers V and up: All 3 rows

But WG have gone for an 'all or nothing' approach, which will create serious problems for Tier IV's without any equipment at all against Tier V's (despite filtering out the 9-slots-unlocked sealclubbers).  A Tier V with 6 slots (or 7, with VStabs) unlocked will wipe the floor with a Tier IV with none.

And then there's a massive learning curve at Tier V when new players start thinking about all 9 equipment slots for the first time.  Many might feel overwhelmed, and just continue running in Tier V without any equipment, on the basis that it has largely worked OK so far...  and get totally owned.

Edited by Titus_Scato, 29 June 2018 - 11:40 AM.

Colmain595 #7 Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 43370 battles
  • [KRH]

Not bothered by the change.  I'm guessing this is a business strategy decision by WG, after all they have the data.  I'm guessing there is a huge number of new players complaining about the complexity and a larger number not staying because of it.

As for those players who do stay, I can't see how removing equipment will drastically change anything.  Be interesting to see how tier 4s  with less choice and therefore at a further disadvantage, fair against tier 5s (tier 5 seal clubbing the way ahead lol).

I have always played in the lower tiers, it's fun, unpredictable and a good training ground.  And yes, I seal club from time to time, that's what my Kenny and others are for.  I will still be able to seal club in my Kenny, locust, tetrach, 35 and others just as well if I want to.  I play all tiers and get clubbed myself the further up I go, it happens.  No amount of game changing will alter that.  The game has a huge number of advanced players who over the years have become OP in their own right in one vehicle or another, we all have.  Combine that with a good vehicle and you get a lethal combination.  It happens.  

Also, those players at tier 5 with 9 open slots, will they unfairly face more tier 6s as a result of MM?  Could be a possibility.  

Edited by Colmain595, 29 June 2018 - 11:48 AM.

Player2998 #8 Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8131 battles
  • [CHPF]

Mechanics and in-game stuff for newcomers. It is really noticeable that the new player (or is it simply cultural today that think is turned off) can not cope with the ingame mechanic.
I like to read Wot Blitz forums of other countries, no matter where it is easiest things are not understood.

How should we build a team player base with it? Or players who are suitable for tournaments.

There must be guides in the game as a tutorial, like camo, spotting, hit zone.
The tutorial must not be skipped, learn to drive in Tier 1.

Tier 2 hit zones and effective team play as two players shoot at 1 tank and so on

Tier 3 then combined tutorial with spotting, camo, team play, hit zone

romsitsa #9 Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 47680 battles
  • [VG]

A kitted out Leopard or KV-1 against a tier IV. I'm speechless again. As a pro tier III sealclubber I can add that not the +60 WR fully equipped d.heads are the problem of new players, we are not really numerous.

A

BorgR3mc0 #10 Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 22459 battles
  • [DDNL]
But I like clubbing seals in my fully equipped Tetrarch, A-32, BT-7 arty. GuP Hetzer or SU-76i.  

Why else did they (=WG) give me all these low tier premiums if not to club seals?

">http://

Cancracker #11 Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 66942 battles
  • [CFG]
Probably not a lot of sealclubbers did fully equip their clubs because of spare parts. Now that equipping has become relatively cheap of course it invites playing more lower tiers. I don't believe this is a move to protect new players as taking into account they will be 50% low tier, they will be hammered now, even if they wait long enough to fully equip a tank. Being low tier now will be even harder. I don't see the benefit. Of course it's not expected that WG will explain this truthfully.

"X 5 weekend, 10 games 9 losses ...
Some seals will be getting sooooo clubbed in the next couple of weeks."
                                                                                                             jonty_2014

LanguishViking #12 Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13194 battles
  • [NOR]
I approve! This sounds great. Don't think it will stop seal-clubbing, but it will make seal-clubbing less unfair. 

Titus_Scato #13 Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42158 battles
  • [1RTR]

View Postbunnybun123, on 29 June 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

That said, I don't understand how this will level the playing field? Equipment and consumables are available for everyone, so a newbie with equipment against a sealclubber with equipment will just change into both without equipment. 

A newbie is very unlikely to have unlocked 7 slots on a Tier III or IV tank.  Many won't have unlocked any at all.

romsitsa #14 Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 47680 battles
  • [VG]

It won't. Equipment/consumable doesn't have any impact on low tier play. I think WG doesn't want to cut back sealclubbing, but thinks that equipment, ammo types, consumables, currencies, spare parts (I don't think they came up with this change after spare parts were deleted) crates, premium vehicles and time gives just too many choices for new players.

As mentioned earlier, a proper tutorial or a sandbox mode where one can try out anything, would help. Restricting options just postpones the lack of it.

A

romsitsa #15 Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 47680 battles
  • [VG]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 29 June 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

A newbie is very unlikely to have unlocked 7 slots on a Tier III or IV tank.  Many won't have unlocked any at all.

I had no slots under tier V till 5.0. It really doesn't matter.

A

_RagingRabbit_ #16 Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 14020 battles
  • [FTC-4]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 29 June 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

But why? It's not expensive at lower tiers... That would mean they don't know about how the system works. I'd say a tutorial for the equipment system would be better then. 

anonym_KH2Rg2lYuUTS #17 Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:35 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostTitus_Scato, on 29 June 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

WG have gone a step further than what I asked for:

​With my idea there is a gradual phase-in of equipment.

With the maximum equipment point being Tier V instead of VII, I would now suggest:

Tiers I, II: Nothing.

Tier III: 1st row only

Tier IV: 1st and 2nd rows only

Tiers V and up: All 3 rows

But WG have gone for an 'all or nothing' approach, which will create serious problems for Tier IV's without any equipment at all against Tier V's (despite filtering out the 9-slots-unlocked sealclubbers).  A Tier V with 6 slots (or 7, with VStabs) unlocked will wipe the floor with a Tier IV with none.

And then there's a massive learning curve at Tier V when new players start thinking about all 9 equipment slots for the first time.  Many might feel overwhelmed, and just continue running in Tier V without any equipment, on the basis that it has largely worked OK so far...  and get totally owned.

Without equipment is still easy trololol

(Medium I HE shells)

sixty_three #18 Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12321 battles

Thoughts about the impact:

a) Apart from those who really like the Pz. B2 or Valentine II, sealclubbers who use T4 vehicles may switch to either T3 or T5.

b) Anybody owning a T5 vehicle with all nine equipment slots opened will be kicking themselves. Nobody with any sense will now open the ninth equipment slot on any T5 tank.

c) Anybody who hasn't aced one of their T4 vehicles may find it easier to do so once v5.1 occurs. Otherwise there seems less point for experienced players to continue fighting in T4 tanks (apart from Pz. B2 & Valentine II).

d) T1 will become more beginner friendly.

e) T5 will become more competitive.

One of life’s challenges — knowing enough to think you are right, but not enough to know that you are wrong.

Titus_Scato #19 Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 42158 battles
  • [1RTR]

View Postbunnybun123, on 29 June 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

But why? It's not expensive at lower tiers... That would mean they don't know about how the system works. I'd say a tutorial for the equipment system would be better then. 

New players are less likely to have a premium account running, and without that they will be making fewer credits.  Also, because they are new, they won’t be doing much damage and losing a lot of games, again reducing their credits.  And finally, they will be buying a lot of new tanks, reducing their credits even more.

llo1 #20 Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28880 battles
  • [1RTR]

Well the only tier that it is really going to impact is the tier 4....it won't stop people sealclubbing.

And generally the sealclubbers have significantly more experience than the newbies, so they will STILL suffer accordingly.

Some benefits could be seen, newbies won't have to bother with any slots, but as for any benefits.....the best one would be to limit what newbies could play until they get the experience......and the best way for experience is the play the game more before being allowed to play higher tiers.

Romsitsa's "sandbox " suggestion would be idea to get experience, and well as the more experienced players (me for one) to test differently tanks and combinations, provided WG allow you to choose the target tank!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users