Meh MM

MM noobs beginners

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ComradeOddBall #1 Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:44 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 352 battles

So ten games this morning, and nine defeats. I’m learning TDs, and Russian TDs at that, so partly down to me, but the teams :facepalm: 

I used to think the Matchmaking was entirely WG’s fault (if fault is the right word), but i’ve realised that it isn’t, of course, at least to the extent that I now firmly believe that they think it’s done fairly. They are however forgetting (or ignoring, more likely) one thing. People are allowed to progress at a pace that suits them. There are no boundaries outside how much XP a player’s accrued, or how much gold they want to buy (i.e buying higher tier Premiums and jumping right in). This i don’t understand, at least not the first part. The second is obvious. It’s income, and there’s not going to be any limits set on people spending, but allowing people to rush through tiers? Don’t get it. It would have been much better for me if I’d been required to play say a hundred battles on each tier before being allowed to progress. 

What do you  “Old Sweats” think?  I’d be interested to hear what experienced players have to say on progression. 

Don’t bother. You’ll just be disappointed. 

sixty_three #2 Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:47 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11062 battles

All other things being equal, the player who has played significantly more battles than you has a built-in game advantage.  That is, they’ll most likely enjoy higher level crew skills.  

The crew skill levels for other players isn’t data that you have the access to browse.  But since it accumulates by fighting in elited tanks, it favours players who fight more in premium and fully researched vehicles.  Especially those in which they are successful.  For these reasons, it’s possible that two players who have each fought in 2000 battles may have unequal crew skills. 

The correlation between battle count and crew skill level will end, of course, once a player has a level-7 capability in all crew skill categories.  I tried to calculate for myself once when I was likely to hit this point.  My answer was about 25,000.

Back to your question about progression.  It’s to your advantage to avoid playing at a tier where most players have a higher battle count than you.  It also helps to elite those tech-tree vehicles that you like using, and play them more than the average player does.  If you do that, you’ll find that you’ll probably be climbing up the tiers at a slower rate than your peers.  But the payback is that you’ll probably be enjoying greater success than your equally skilled “tier-rusher”.

The other, unquantifiable benefit of slowing down your tier climb is that you gain more experience of how the other vehicles at that tier perform.  You need to give yourself time to witness, process and then understand how other tanks fight.  

So, back to the $64,000 question as to when to climb a tier.  You’ll know now what I think it is regarding the time to learn from your battle experiences ... it all depends on how you learn! Only you can answer that one.

But to avoid being disadvantaged by inferior crew skills? The answer to that is to look at the battle count stats of all the players (friend and foe) you’ve fought with who used vehicles of the tier you’re interested in.  List out all the numbers, and then find the median.  Use that as a minimum trigger point to jump up a tier. 

One of life’s challenges — knowing enough to think you are right, but not enough to know that you are wrong.

Dans79Vet #3 Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 33356 battles
  • [-GNA-]

I thought, “oh no another MM thread” but its more about player progress.

I think many players progress too fast without learning how to properly play or understand their tanks class role.

If the techtree rumours are true this can be even worse soon.

A player can get into tier 5 then decide to play TDs or something they never played and have no idea.

I wish there was a type of acadamy to give players more knowledge and game understanding.

Previously it was mentioned that WG have no intentions of limiting player progress which is mainly a marketing/sales thing.

The acadamy should be a combination. Your not forced to do it but gain rewards for completing stages there.

ComradeOddBall #4 Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 352 battles

Good. Thanks. How do you elite a vehicle?

I sent a ticket to Support, and got a formulated “dear tanker” reply, which didn’t address my issue one tiny bit. I asked why players were allowed to progress without qualifying with more than XP, and suggested they provide more information on what each type of tank is meant to do. Just played another three battles and lost two because for one the light players (on my team, anyway) were trying to play them like heavies, and there were players in every single game who did things like sit sideways in front of DW2s :facepalm: or sit in the middle of open ground. We nearly won one. It was down to two Matidas, both low on HP, and our (Premium) Matilda was pointing his gun every which way except at the red’s, even when he was being shot at. He could’ve one shotted the red Matilda, but clearly had absolutely no 

idea. Not a clue

There’s now a distinct feeling for me that WGs attitude is “we’ve got your money, and we don’t give a f*ck about your problems “,

since there’s not much value for money in the kind of games I’ve played today, going down to 48% WR. Their answers to tickets are often  automated responses, and when they’re not, they offer absolutely nothing by way of solution. I’ve even experienced sarcasm. I don’t know why i think it’s going to be better every time i come back. One thing that’s been suggested in ticket responses is to go onto the forum, where i could suggest improvements. Blow off steam, more like, because they pay about as much attention here as they do in tickets. This is just a place to whinge, or boast, or dispense and receive advice, lots of which is great, but is then negated by actually playing. Playing with people who are in too high a tier, or just don’t care.

Edited by ComradeOddBall, 12 July 2018 - 10:59 AM.

Don’t bother. You’ll just be disappointed. 

mrpgilbert #5 Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 33352 battles
  • [AFK]
An elite vehicle has all modules fully researched, and the next vehicle in the tech tree researched. You don't have to buy the next vehicle.
As far as rushing tiers goes, I followed the Soviet and German TD lines originally, getting to tier IX in the latter and VIII in the former after 9k battles. My stats in the Jagdtiger still stand, red and useless, as a reminder of what not to do. Quite a long time later, I'm back there again, but still struggling a bit, because I still make stupid mistakes which are more easily forgiven lower down. Even if I play well, I'm still having trouble carrying the sacks of other spuds around me.
My crew skills in lights and TDs still aren't maxed out, by the way.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it.

Be nice to me..

http://www.blitzstar...r/eu/mrpgilbert

sixty_three #6 Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 11062 battles

Just played a few T4/T5 battles to get a quick feel of the battle count of T4 tankers right now. Leaving me out of the equation, here are the figures:

73, 87, 98, 715, 964, 1077, 1208, 1561, 1902, 2320, 2520, 3164, 6,292 (Hetzer), 19413 (DW2) and 32,934 (SU-85B)

You can slot your findings into this selection to improve the reliability of the “trigger point”.  However based on this small sample, the median for T4 this morning was 1561 battles. 

Given your current total of 312 battles, you can see how much you’re up against fighting at T4.  

My suggestion would be to abandon playing at T4/T5 for now, and go back to T3.  You have a S35 premium (elited tank) that you’re doing quite well in (and like playing more than any other T3 tank),  Why not play that quite a lot more to learn more about maps, the capability of T4 vehicles, and also efficiently boost your medium crew skills? The T4’s piloted by sealclubbers will still be tough challenges, but at least the pressure will be off you as you won’t be top tier then.  

One of life’s challenges — knowing enough to think you are right, but not enough to know that you are wrong.

DukeA1 #7 Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 4791 battles
  • [FASTI]

i've had 50 defeats in a row

followed by 100 wins in a row

in the same tank even, no changes to it

https://en.wikiquote...i/Carlito's_Way

• When you can’t see the angles no more, you’re in trouble, baby. You’re in trouble.

This game somehow, has so many angles to cover,

in most games a strong coffee guarantee's top score, the tinned coffee with the high price for tiny bit at the bottom of the tin, or some of that Chinese Bang Punch tea even, 

many many many angles to cover, constantly

Edited by DukeA1, 12 July 2018 - 02:36 PM.

zoom! zoom!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users