Quick and easy one? Chat bans....

Chat bans

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Poll: Chat ban and ‘Battle Command Menu’ (41 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Should people banned from chat still be able to use the ‘Battle Command Menu’?

1. Voted Yes (19 votes [46.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.34%

2. No (22 votes [53.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.66%

Vote Hide poll

The_Mighty_Wombat #141 Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39756 battles
  • [-GNA-]

Sweet looks like my “cat ban” has been lifted.

sixty_three #142 Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12321 battles

View PostL_O_N_G_B_O_W, on 25 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

Dear Toady

I do actually have an Irish friend(s) also ;-)

For me, there are two major flaws to your argument (yep, a agree to disagree inbound). 

Firstly - quite admirably you confessed you have nevee had a chat ban. How, therefore are you able to know just how it affects yours and your team mates game? Walk a mile in their shoes etc...

Secondly - I can't stress enough the importance of having some form of comms, be it quick commands, morse code or even bloomin carrier pigeons!

Alas! I hear the authoritarians wailing and nashing "How dare you even consider carrier pigeons!! YOU MUST BE PUNISHED!!!!!!!"

And so we go around again...

A good debate non the less - but one that will obviously not reach a conclusion.

Robin :)

Greetings Mr Hood.

I mostly play mid-tier battles, which are pretty silent affairs.  Now are they quiet because nobody has anything to say?  Or is there a muted tanker in my team, rolling their eyes as the team splits again?  It would be a bit interesting to know just how many people receive bans, but either way, at Tier V, silence prevails.  

I know battles get chattier (and more serious) at Tier VIII.  So, OK, I'll agree with you that, in high tier battles, comms becomes important.  And if you have a team member who is particularly good at giving out strategy, tactics, warnings, whatever, for them to be muted is a big handicap.  So, in the one battle that you are paired up with Player "X", who I define here as a player who'd really appreciate and act on good advice, but will struggle otherwise, then yes, X may lose that battle because you're banned.

But as I attempted to explain before, you're more likely to be on the red team opposing X.  And in your place there's somebody who can give "X" the good advice that helps the green team win.  

At the end of the day, the only person who suffers from a drop in their WR is the banned player.  

So, you want WG to change the nature of the ban so that you can still communicate with radio messages whilst being banned from chat.  If this was carried out, would you (be honest now!) be more or less inclined to be salty in chat afterwards?  Or wouldn't it make a difference?  If you can convince people like me that you'd become less salty if the punishment was fairer - then you'd stand a better chance of gaining support.  (I'm not one for wanting people punished for the hell of it.)

As it stands now though, I'd prefer WG to leave things as they are, and the development effort that would have been spent on this change used for something of benefit to all.  Like improving the look and feel of the user interface.

We agree to differ again, then!

The resident of Toad Hall

Edited by sixty_three, 25 July 2018 - 10:16 AM.

One of life’s challenges — knowing enough to think you are right, but not enough to know that you are wrong.

petes85 #143 Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 43155 battles
:popcorn:

The_Mighty_Wombat #144 Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39756 battles
  • [-GNA-]

View Postsixty_three, on 25 July 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

Let's also assume there are so many people with chat bans that each battle is guaranteed to have one muted player.

Still with me? ;)

What happens in my first battle? (Remember, I don't have a chat ban.)

The MM has 6 chances to place the muted player on my team.  Because my team is made up of myself and 6 other tankers.

The MM has 7 chances though to place the muted player on the red team.  Because that's also the size of that team!

Has the penny dropped yet?  Chance that the Green team includes the one muted play = 6 out of (6+7=13).

Chance that the red team includes the one muted player = 7 out of 13.

Final assumption - let's says I'm normally a completely average player with a 50% WR, when I'm not playing with a muted player.

So, after 26 battles, you'd expect me to win 13 times,

But with the muted player per battle?

I play with the muted player on average in 6/13*26 = 12 times.  And I lose these matches.

But the opposition team play with the muted player on average in 7/13*26 = 14 times. And I win these matches.

My WR therefore climbs to 14/26 = about 53.8%.  

It's not magic.  These extra wins are being "paid" for by the chat banned player, who in this extreme scenario, is losing every match.

View PostL_O_N_G_B_O_W, on 25 July 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

Firstly - quite admirably you confessed you have nevee had a chat ban. How, therefore are you able to know just how it affects yours and your team mates game? Walk a mile in their shoes etc...

Secondly - I can't stress enough the importance of having some form of comms, be it quick commands, morse code or even bloomin carrier pigeons!

Alas! I hear the authoritarians wailing and nashing "How dare you even consider carrier pigeons!! YOU MUST BE PUNISHED!!!!!!!"

So a full chat bad has a possitive effect in general.

People no longer have to suffer from your saltyness.

At most you can only negatively impact 6/13 players that you come in contact with.

The OP sugests getting a chat ban to see how it feels. Wow, great advice, how about NO!

You would think after the first ban many might consider doing things differently.

Guess some are just stubbon, selfish and worry more about how it effects them not those they upset in the first place.

Edited by Dans79Vet, 25 July 2018 - 10:34 AM.

anonym_jLj8qMWZdxIj #145 Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:13 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postsixty_three, on 25 July 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

Greetings Mr Hood.

I mostly play mid-tier battles, which are pretty silent affairs.  Now are they quiet because nobody has anything to say?  Or is there a muted tanker in my team, rolling their eyes as the team splits again?  It would be a bit interesting to know just how many people receive bans, but either way, at Tier V, silence prevails.  

I know battles get chattier (and more serious) at Tier VIII.  So, OK, I'll agree with you that, in high tier battles, comms becomes important.  And if you have a team member who is particularly good at giving out strategy, tactics, warnings, whatever, for them to be muted is a big handicap.  So, in the one battle that you are paired up with Player "X", who I define here as a player who'd really appreciate and act on good advice, but will struggle otherwise, then yes, X may lose that battle because you're banned.

But as I attempted to explain before, you're more likely to be on the red team opposing X.  And in your place there's somebody who can give "X" the good advice that helps the green team win.  

At the end of the day, the only person who suffers from a drop in their WR is the banned player.  

So, you want WG to change the nature of the ban so that you can still communicate with radio messages whilst being banned from chat.  If this was carried out, would you (be honest now!) be more or less inclined to be salty in chat afterwards?  Or wouldn't it make a difference?  If you can convince people like me that you'd become less salty if the punishment was fairer - then you'd stand a better chance of gaining support.  (I'm not one for wanting people punished for the hell of it.)

As it stands now though, I'd prefer WG to leave things as they are, and the development effort that would have been spent on this change used for something of benefit to all.  Like improving the look and feel of the user interface.

We agree to differ again, then!

The resident of Toad Hall

Some good points and well made. I see your rational behind it but still find myself unable to concur.

As mentioned, I grind my silver in order for the game to pay for its self (repairs etc) and I have never bought a tank. Ever.

This does sadly mean spending time in the lower tiers as that is the quickest and easiest place to grind silver. As much as this can be viewed as 'Seal clubbing', as it is in many peoples cases to increase WR to self indulge in their own greatness, others seal club for the above reasons. I personally don't give a stuff about my WR - in the greater scheme of things it means sweet F A.

On the note of seal clubbing though - it does have some benefit to the cute cuddly larl seals, well the ones with more than a walnut between their ears. They learn.

The point Robin, the point! Having spent time at tier V also, I have noticed more and more people asking "Which way?" or "Plan?"...often being fledglings new to the exciting world of tier V and obviously the ones wanting to learn.

The battles at tier V that are silent at the start are silent, in my view, for many reasons. There is an obvious wide spectrum of age and nationalities that comes in to play. The young not wanting to speak up maybe and the chap sat on the bus in Banjaluka may not speak a word of english...(enter left my suggestion of quick command directional commands amongst others).

Other reasons can be they dont want to speak up and call a direction so if it goes horribly wrong, they get the heat. Or they know better, dont have any team ethic and are going where they think best anyway. They may just be a bot.

So many variables but in that silence - that is when I find it best someone takes the lead and makes the call. Yes, for the more experienced it is possible to look at the opposition and formulate the best direction depending on the map and tank type in yours and the enemys team - but as we all know there is an element of luck to that also.

From my experience, someone making that call, rightly or wrongly is better than the silence and as you quite rightly mentioned, the clusterf@#k in every direction that occurs.

In my experience when a direction is called (especially a correct one considering tank type and terrain) the majority follow so already, with luck, you are on the front foot.

But lets not just focus on direction. There are several other commands that really can swing a battle from "We're doomed!" to "Did that really just happen" (as in fellow players reacting to commands i.e. focus fire on or sos and smashing the enemy in a pair or trio etc). Yes, often you get no response at all (kids, bots etc) but just as often you do.

It has been facinating to see the dynamics of the game from a different perspective. Like with everything in life, it is often only when you see things from those different perspectives that you question, sometimes alter the view you had before.

No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid answers. If you need proof for that, just read some of the posts above from some of the contributors.

Once again dear Toad, unto the breach. Disagree it seems we must! 

Robin.

N.B. forgot your 'be honest' question sir - I would be happy for them to remove chat altogether as mentioned before OR have like a friends only messaging system. That surely tells you (and others like you with more than said Walnut) something surely?

Edited by L_O_N_G_B_O_W, 25 July 2018 - 04:25 PM.

romsitsa #146 Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 52652 battles
  • [VG]

View PostL_O_N_G_B_O_W, on 25 July 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

...you forgot the 'rsehole' on your signature.

Off for a cry now. Great contribution - pat ya'self on the back fella.

We can further discuss things after you left anal stage.

A

anonym_jLj8qMWZdxIj #147 Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:39 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postromsitsa, on 25 July 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

We can further discuss things after you left anal stage.

A

Break time again?

Matixo_55 #148 Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:45 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5231 battles
  • [CHWAT]
Kind of off topic They should rework complains system , accualy give bans for them and upgrade complains verification system
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his ~ Patton

sixty_three #149 Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12321 battles

View PostL_O_N_G_B_O_W, on 25 July 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

N.B. forgot your 'be honest' question sir - I would be happy for them to remove chat altogether as mentioned before OR have like a friends only messaging system. That surely tells you (and others like you with more than said Walnut) something surely?

OK and thanks.

One of life’s challenges — knowing enough to think you are right, but not enough to know that you are wrong.

Matixo_55 #150 Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:51 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5231 battles
  • [CHWAT]
I'm curious if WG even sees these posts
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his ~ Patton

Mjr_Eazy #151 Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 33945 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View PostMatixo_55, on 25 July 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

I'm curious if WG even sees these posts

They don’t!

547146227.png

Matixo_55 #152 Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:47 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5231 battles
  • [CHWAT]
It's pointless, they don't listen to people on forums, support, their pages but probably (like in normal WoT) do everything Russian YouTuber tell them to

The_Mighty_Wombat #153 Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39756 battles
  • [-GNA-]

View PostMatixo_55, on 25 July 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

Kind of off topic They should rework complains system , accualy give bans for them and upgrade complains verification system

Its been brought up multiple times that military honor is broken.

Someone that does top dmg/xp shouldnt get an inactive vote.

Someone that hasnt used any chat feature shouldnt get a prov comms vote.

Unsporting is harder to make it automated.

WG has no profit from this so there will not be any changes soon.

So there is no benefit to change the chat ban system.

View PostMatixo_55, on 26 July 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

It's pointless, they don't listen to people on forums, support, their pages but probably (like in normal WoT) do everything Russian YouTuber tell them to

WG sometimes looks at the forum. Usually its members that take the ideas to the community contributors.

The CCs can look at it and pass it directly to some staff. But this doesnt mean any developers will like it.

The developers and marketting are running a business so anything that cost money to implement with little in return is very low prioity.

The russian server has double the eu server in players. Not sure if they spend more but eu must be close in spending.

The game is also based from Belarus, so russian.

So the russian server players and forum is monitored the most and has more input on game.

Matixo_55 #154 Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 5231 battles
  • [CHWAT]
And ruins polish tanks then so those wont be better than defender

PsychoPanzer68 #155 Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:25 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15343 battles
  • [PFI]

Hello, Fellow Tankers !

Apologies in advance for digging up this Necro Thread

But I wanted to share something interesting with you all.

Something that happened to me in one of my other Accounts : 

Last Sunday I had a very rude player in my Team, who started a well-known Rant :

Yelling & Screaming all kinds of Unpleasantries about another Player's family and

wishing him all imaginable kinds of lethal diseases.

Being a Medical professional ; particularly that last part I didn't take kindly to,

so I told him in unmistakable terms that he should Shut Up and bugger off.

Yesterday I found myself facing a 5-day Chat Ban, and i immediately knew who

was responsible for this, so i send a Ticket to WG about the proof of my cursing

and i politely asked them to look into the whole conversation at hand as well ....

This morning I got a strange auto-reply-copy-pasted message that is was Banned 

because of saying : "Shut Up Moron" ; but they also notified me that the Chat Ban

was lifted immediately.  Indeed, in that Account the Chat now works normal again.

So sometimes, in situations like this, it is worth to appeal a punishment  !  :great:

Edited by PsychoPanzer68, 23 June 2020 - 04:21 PM.

Clan Leader of the Panzer-Vernichter Clan and a devoted German Tank Driver !

Mjr_Eazy #156 Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 33945 battles
  • [BT_SV]
Yeah, I’ve had a ban reduced from permanent to 2 weeks for appeal on similar grounds so defo worth appealling if there’s any serious provocation...

547146227.png

Rqh #157 Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:24 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15247 battles
  • [SMOL]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 23 June 2020 - 06:34 AM, said:

Yeah, I’ve had a ban reduced from permanent to 2 weeks for appeal on similar grounds so defo worth appealling if there’s any serious provocation...

i didnt even know a permanent chat ban existet :ohmy:

reekoiler #158 Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 54774 battles
  • [FTC-1]
No. Because they probably spam too & I hate spammers.

Also tagged with Chat, bans

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users