Quick and easy one? Chat bans....

Chat bans

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Poll: Chat ban and ‘Battle Command Menu’ (41 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Should people banned from chat still be able to use the ‘Battle Command Menu’?

1. Voted Yes (19 votes [46.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.34%

2. No (22 votes [53.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.66%

Vote Hide poll

onlypainhurts #21 Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 46138 battles
  • [XFIRE]

Not sure why you are trying to make this into a battle of wits,   You wanted people to agree with you, and im sure some do but at least I and more importantly WG disagree with you.  Not to say they wont change their minds bu that remains to be seen.  But there is no point in getting bent because people didnt follow right along with your line of thinking.  

Though i would implore you to read more carefully what i posted.   I said a chat ban should include all forms of "communication" not just chats but battle commands would fall under this.   The idea is for it to be a punishment, something someone would find at least unpleasant to get them to rethink their behavior.    In my view making the situation more pleasant would undermine the weak effect they already have.    As i stated before the chat bans greatest effect is as a deterrent.   A person might refrain from offensive behavior because they dont want to be banned cause they cannot communicate at all in game.   If you make it so they cant chat but can still communicate you have diminished anything that you were hoping to achieve. 

You seem to think for some reason that because i used the commonly accepted verbiage for when someone is banned from the chat that I do not understand the concepts or the differences.  I was speaking as you could say colloquially.   

What you suggest would have no positive effect player behavior,  In fact the only people it would really benefit are those who break the rules.   Are those really the people you want to the devs to be worried if they are happy?  I would rather the devs cater to those who do follow the rules.

Like i said before it is super simple to avoid being chat banned so its not something one should worry about. 

"Oderint dum Metuant"

anonym_jLj8qMWZdxIj #22 Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postonlypainhurts, on 19 July 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

Not sure why you are trying to make this into a battle of wits,   You wanted people to agree with you, and im sure some do but at least I and more importantly WG disagree with you.  Not to say they wont change their minds bu that remains to be seen.  But there is no point in getting bent because people didnt follow right along with your line of thinking.  

Though i would implore you to read more carefully what i posted.   I said a chat ban should include all forms of "communication" not just chats but battle commands would fall under this.   The idea is for it to be a punishment, something someone would find at least unpleasant to get them to rethink their behavior.    In my view making the situation more pleasant would undermine the weak effect they already have.    As i stated before the chat bans greatest effect is as a deterrent.   A person might refrain from offensive behavior because they dont want to be banned cause they cannot communicate at all in game.   If you make it so they cant chat but can still communicate you have diminished anything that you were hoping to achieve. 

You seem to think for some reason that because i used the commonly accepted verbiage for when someone is banned from the chat that I do not understand the concepts or the differences.  I was speaking as you could say colloquially.   

What you suggest would have no positive effect player behavior,  In fact the only people it would really benefit are those who break the rules.   Are those really the people you want to the devs to be worried if they are happy?  I would rather the devs cater to those who do follow the rules.

Like i said before it is super simple to avoid being chat banned so its not something one should worry about. 

*bangs head HARD against wall repeatedly*...followed by a *sigh*

Nope, wrong again. Like they say, follow your instincts....the one to stay away from forums will soon be back in effect.

The whole point was to open discussion and get peoples thoughts, also to share ideas, like my “Battle Command” directional buttons.

But being preached to, and told how its “a punishment” and “should be harsher” to “teach a lesson”....do me a favour and take the rest of the day off.

Its not a punishment. Its an inconvenience. 

Does it work (chat bans)? No.

Does it teach lessons (cant believe im doing this...)? No.

Does it act as a deterrent? No.

Should it be harsher? See above answers that also explains why in the questions *aaaaaaand breath*.

Not allowing Battle Commands during a chat ban is in my view, simply pathetic. So far I have heard no good reason why a player on a CHAT ban should not be able to send signals within a battle. My tuppence.

Edited by L_O_N_G_B_O_W, 19 July 2018 - 04:15 PM.

petes85 #23 Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 43155 battles

View Postpetes85, on 19 July 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Chat Ban is useless, just take chat completely off and If there is whining after a game just ignore.

This is My answer to OP

Mjr_Eazy #24 Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 33945 battles
  • [BT_SV]

The in-game chat is defo less salty than it was prior to MH and people getting warnings and penalties from it, I kinda agree with OP that it’s not much of a deterrent to the serial offenders, in fact it’s a kinda badge of (dis-)honour for some but I also do

think WG have to try and do something, without people to moderate I think this system is better than nothing and I thank the ban should encompass all communications.  It at least might get the miscreant to stop and think, if thy are concernd about their team or their own performance.  So on balance I think it’s fair enough to remove the battle commands as a punishment ;)

I agree adding a go left, go middle, go right option would be useful as more people might understand, although there seems to be a lot of drivers with The Grand Old Duke of York’s grasp of military manoeuvres so it probably wont in reality. 

OP it seems to me like you don’t like forums as you post stuff expecting lots of people to agree but when they dont ye gan proper radgie, like.  I find it annoying too as I am always right but it is t’internet and not everyone seems to know I’m always right :)

547146227.png

The_Mighty_Wombat #25 Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39756 battles
  • [-GNA-]

Could just be simple programing and not needing to look to hard into awarding the correct punishment.

Spamming battle commands, innapropriate use of inbattle chat ot garage chat all comes under “chat ban”

So miss use one makes you lose all communication rights in one shot.

onlypainhurts #26 Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:19 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 46138 battles
  • [XFIRE]

View PostL_O_N_G_B_O_W, on 19 July 2018 - 05:10 PM, said

Its not a punishment. Its an inconvenience. 

Does it work (chat bans)? No.

Does it teach lessons (cant believe im doing this...)? No.

Does it act as a deterrent? No.

Tell me how do you know?  I can tell you some things as facts.   During chat bans offenders cannot re-offend.   So yes they do have some measure of efficacy.   I never said it taught anyone a lesson, but i did say that it might make people think twice about doing it again.   While largely ineffective it does have a measure of effect.  Want to know how i know?   Chat was worse before they started banning people.  Before when you had to write a ticket and maybe they would do something few people reported and the chat was way worse than it is now.   So there is some quantifiable effect.

No where did i advocate for a harsher punishment.  In fact in another post in this thread I elaborated on the difficulty in balance the appropriate measures to take.

I will say that I am not against a chat ban being a total communication ban. 

You keep dodging a simple point that i have made before.   Why should WG cater to rule breakers?  The rules are not hard to follow.  They are not unreasonable.  So why should they modify their response to offenders?  How would it benefit the community?  I see nowhere that i can benefit.  Your one instance that in the game MAYBE their use of combat commands could help the team is very negligible.  We all know combat commands arent always used and even then arent always effective.  So this would be a partial remedy (and thats being very generous) to the problem of having on your team that cannot communicate.  But being the teams are randomly chosen having a chat banned player on your team will be random and effect all equally and wouldnt be an issue.  Unless the banned one is you and I have elaborated more than once how easy it is to not be banned.   If its your platoon mate who is banned that is a bit tougher but would seem that for the time being you could find another platoon mate.  

Please provide either some date or some reasoning beyond what you have already suggested.   The idea that chat bans are ineffective so we might as well make them less effective is just silly. 

"Oderint dum Metuant"

anonym_jLj8qMWZdxIj #27 Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postonlypainhurts, on 19 July 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

Tell me how do you know?  I can tell you some things as facts.   During chat bans offenders cannot re-offend.   So yes they do have some measure of efficacy.   I never said it taught anyone a lesson, but i did say that it might make people think twice about doing it again.   While largely ineffective it does have a measure of effect.  Want to know how i know?   Chat was worse before they started banning people.  Before when you had to write a ticket and maybe they would do something few people reported and the chat was way worse than it is now.   So there is some quantifiable effect.

No where did i advocate for a harsher punishment.  In fact in another post in this thread I elaborated on the difficulty in balance the appropriate measures to take.

I will say that I am not against a chat ban being a total communication ban. 

You keep dodging a simple point that i have made before.   Why should WG cater to rule breakers?  The rules are not hard to follow.  They are not unreasonable.  So why should they modify their response to offenders?  How would it benefit the community?  I see nowhere that i can benefit.  Your one instance that in the game MAYBE their use of combat commands could help the team is very negligible.  We all know combat commands arent always used and even then arent always effective.  So this would be a partial remedy (and thats being very generous) to the problem of having on your team that cannot communicate.  But being the teams are randomly chosen having a chat banned player on your team will be random and effect all equally and wouldnt be an issue.  Unless the banned one is you and I have elaborated more than once how easy it is to not be banned.   If its your platoon mate who is banned that is a bit tougher but would seem that for the time being you could find another platoon mate.  

Please provide either some date or some reasoning beyond what you have already suggested.   The idea that chat bans are ineffective so we might as well make them less effective is just silly. 

*Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn*

....oh, your still here *sigh*

No, actually - chat has got worse. Why are you trying to tell somone who has known the web, platform games, PPE, PvP etc etc etc since its infancy AND been with this game since 2014 - that it hasnt got worse?? That so far, of all your statements, takes the biscuit.

In your world, if you want to believe CHAT bans work and deter and have made the world a better place, then you carry on believing.

Back in the real world, and once again I can only repeat - blocking Battle Commands (signals) is pathetic on a CHAT ban.

I have answered several times now with regards rule breakers.

Violate chat rules, you get chat ban both in game and on channels etc. There is your appropriate ‘punishment’ for the ‘crime’ (lol) you have committed.

Why should this include battle commands in game - the two are entirely seperate entities.

As much as I am enjoying repeating myself Onlypainhurts (pain is a figment of the imagination) I am going to finish this particular convo with you - happy hunting.

Out.

The_Mighty_Wombat #28 Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39756 battles
  • [-GNA-]

Its most likely the trolls on here that get multiple chat bans and would agree against a full comms ban.

So unless your annoyed with your comms ban then there is not much point arguing a subject that has little affect on you. 

How would you even know a teammate has a comms ban?

Have you tried making “fun fact” threads?

TangoAlpha1 #29 Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 69536 battles
  • [TENC]

Hey Longy!

Nice to see you here, I understand your logic but sadly there are some who would just spam those buttons making the game intolerable for the rest of the team.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s probably not going to change anyway, the simplest solution would be to avoid the salty banter in the first place and dodge the censors!

onlypainhurts #30 Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:54 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 46138 battles
  • [XFIRE]

View PostL_O_N_G_B_O_W, on 19 July 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

*Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn*

....oh, your still here *sigh*

No, actually - chat has got worse. Why are you trying to tell somone who has known the web, platform games, PPE, PvP etc etc etc since its infancy AND been with this game since 2014 - that it hasnt got worse?? That so far, of all your statements, takes the biscuit.

In your world, if you want to believe CHAT bans work and deter and have made the world a better place, then you carry on believing.

Back in the real world, and once again I can only repeat - blocking Battle Commands (signals) is pathetic on a CHAT ban.

I have answered several times now with regards rule breakers.

Violate chat rules, you get chat ban both in game and on channels etc. There is your appropriate ‘punishment’ for the ‘crime’ (lol) you have committed.

Why should this include battle commands in game - the two are entirely seperate entities.

As much as I am enjoying repeating myself Onlypainhurts (pain is a figment of the imagination) I am going to finish this particular convo with you - happy hunting.

Out.

I did not ask you to repeat yourself you kept repeating the same arguments in some vain hope that they would become more relevant if you repeated them. 

Why do you assume what I know and dont know about online gaming, Have you read my CV?  I assumed nothing about yours only asked you to back up your opinions with facts or at least fresh arguments but alas we are lacking. 

You did not address the issue that i asked about.   Why should WG do something to benefit rule breakers.   You see chat and combat commands as separate entities.   WG doesnt.  Why should WG bother, out of all the things that WG can do to help this game why should they bother to spend the time to do the coding to help rule breakers?   I would rather they spend their time on real issues not something that effects few in game and even then only minorly. 

Would you like to provide proof that chat is worse now?  I am willing to look at any you might provide.

"Oderint dum Metuant"

petes85 #31 Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:44 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 43155 battles
This topic has gone so off rail

RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #32 Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:23 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 51581 battles
  • [RA1D]
I had two chat bans so far. It definitely changed my behavior. Exactly because it's annoying as hell not being able to do in game commands. It's a deterrent and it works. I wish they were as harsh on serial afks or other antisocial behavior. 

Stop Complaining...           ...Carry Harder!

anonym_jLj8qMWZdxIj #33 Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postpetes85, on 20 July 2018 - 04:44 AM, said:

This topic has gone so off rail

Couldnt agree more.

When ego’s come in to the equastion its always on a hiding to nothing. Was quite a simple one really but hey.

Its obvious to me there is little room for common sense in the VR world of ‘gaming’.

Looking forward to my abstinence once again from over inflated egos and forum flies :-)

RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #34 Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 51581 battles
  • [RA1D]

View PostL_O_N_G_B_O_W, on 20 July 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

Couldnt agree more.

When ego’s come in to the equastion its always on a hiding to nothing. Was quite a simple one really but hey.

Its obvious to me there is little room for common sense in the VR world of ‘gaming’.

Looking forward to my abstinence once again from over inflated egos and forum flies :-)

Funny how anything that doesn't match exactly your opinion is ignorance. You should not be in forums, you are right on that ... The proper place for specimen like you is the commentary section of YouTube... 

Edited by superschnitzelkoenig, 20 July 2018 - 08:00 AM.

anonym_jLj8qMWZdxIj #35 Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostTangoAlpha1, on 19 July 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

Hey Longy!

Nice to see you here, I understand your logic but sadly there are some who would just spam those buttons making the game intolerable for the rest of the team.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s probably not going to change anyway, the simplest solution would be to avoid the salty banter in the first place and dodge the censors!

Tango!

At last! A voice of reason and reality, one whos feet are firmly on terra firma. How you doing fella?

Indeed, you are quite right. 

However, they could always divide them in to ‘Chat ban’ for chat violations and ‘Battle Command ban’ for spamming/missuse of them...but hey, Im in the minority here and sense doesnt come in to it. If it were up to some of these authoritarinists, offenders would be publicly flogged, castrated, and made to sit on the naughty step. Need i say more...

Anyways....I am going to depart these baron lands (bloody flies everywhere!), go forth and conquer!

Happy hunting mate.

p.s. as I post this, just look at the one above from SuperWurst or whatever his name is...I rest my case.

Edited by L_O_N_G_B_O_W, 20 July 2018 - 08:07 AM.

RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #36 Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 51581 battles
  • [RA1D]

View PostL_O_N_G_B_O_W, on 20 July 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

Tango!

At last! A voice of reason and reality, one whos feet are firmly on terra firma. How you doing fella?

Indeed, you are quite right. 

However, they could always divide them in to ‘Chat ban’ for chat violations and ‘Battle Command ban’ for spamming/missuse of them...but hey, Im in the minority here and sense doesnt come in to it. If it were up to some of these authoritarinists, offenders would be publicly flogged, castrated, and made to sit on the naughty step. Need i say more...

Anyways....I am going to depart these baron lands (bloody flies everywhere!), go forth and conquer!

Happy hunting mate.

p.s. as I post this, just look at the one above from SuperWurst or whatever his name is...I rest my case.

Me too :) You perfectly confirmed what I wrote. Btw. your form of lyrical writing does not really impress anyone, nor does it help to strengthen your argument. Just a hint, true for VR and proper R. You're welcome. :)

anonym_jLj8qMWZdxIj #37 Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postsuperschnitzelkoenig, on 20 July 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

Me too :) You perfectly confirmed what I wrote. Btw. your form of lyrical writing does not really impress anyone, nor does it help to strengthen your argument. Just a hint, true for VR and proper R. You're welcome. :)

Once again, a mother of all assumptions from a forum fly nugget. My writing (in the real world) does in fact impress....so wrong again my dear SuperWorst. Shooting magazines, newsletters are but two I have been asked to write for and in....but hey, back to bashing in the VR world right sir? Whats YouTube btw...?

Maybe I will stick around (not!!) as the assuming, arrogant, ego driven characters you find on forums (not all of you, like some of ya) are....are....nah, lifes to short.

Crack on SuperWorst, 2.5k posts youll soon get to 3....you can do it!! What a goal *tips hat...reaches for fly squatter*

Cheerio mein herr!

Out.

RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #38 Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 51581 battles
  • [RA1D]

View PostL_O_N_G_B_O_W, on 20 July 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

Once again, a mother of all assumptions from a forum fly nugget. My writing (in the real world) does in fact impress....so wrong again my dear SuperWorst. Shooting magazines, newsletters are but two I have been asked to write for and in....but hey, back to bashing in the VR world right sir? Whats YouTube btw...?

Maybe I will stick around (not!!) as the assuming, arrogant, ego driven characters you find on forums (not all of you, like some of ya) are....are....nah, lifes to short.

Crack on SuperWorst, 2.5k posts youll soon get to 3....you can do it!! What a goal *tips hat...reaches for fly squatter*

Cheerio mein herr!

Out.

assuming, arrogant, ego driven characters... wow, self-reflection is not your strength, is it? :) And yes, the beauty of VR is that you can claim anything about yourself, like being a famous writer. :teethhappy: I can understand that you feel so comfortable here that you keep writing despite of many leave announcements. How impressively consequent. 

anonym_jLj8qMWZdxIj #39 Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostPlayer_4847592806, on 20 July 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

There is an ignore feature on this forum. Content form people on that list will be hidden to you. Give it a try before deciding to leave. 

Thanks chief - I wasnt aware of that.

If its the little things like this that give the sauerkraut (sour kraut?) his kicks then that says it all really. Have to have final world, have to have final word! Sad.

Peace.

Edited by L_O_N_G_B_O_W, 20 July 2018 - 02:31 PM.

RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #40 Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 51581 battles
  • [RA1D]

View PostL_O_N_G_B_O_W, on 20 July 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

Thanks chief - I wasnt aware of that.

If its the little things like this that give the sauerkraut (sour kraut?) his kicks then that says it all really. Have to have final world, have to have final word! Sad.

Peace.

Also tagged with Chat, bans

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users