Help this newbie

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Noob_7029 #1 Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:28 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6748 battles

Hello 

I download this game yesterday and start playing right after. Since I played WOW i was familiar with game play and quickly found forum and start reading it. Well I won’t talk too much i get confused over some parts. Since I read lots of complaints about noobs infesting this game I decided to come and ask about them. First is which line is easier and which one harder?? Base on what i read Russian lines are easier but so far russians were easiest tanks to kill. I go to American line to M2 medium and Japan line. I played something like 20 battles or less so far and only tanks that bother me were R35 and PZ2. I couldn’t kill them with Apcr I thought it supposed to penetrate heavily armored tanks??

The biggest question is how to read Stats?? I came across something called WN8 and WN7?? Where are they anyway?? Couldn’t found them in Records 

Elmo_Chipshop #2 Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23353 battles
  • [FTC-1]
go like every new player KV-1 line as it is new player friendly. The R35 line at first is easier but increasingly gets harder as play style at tier 5 changes dramatically. Wn8 and wn7 forget about it for now. Play no higher than tier 3 until you have played at least 100 games in each tier. Don't rush, watch videos on each tank on youtube and copy that play style.Again don't rush or you will not enjoy getting beat most games.

Humble_Tank #3 Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 34623 battles
You may want  to know the weakpoints of your opponents, there is more than rear or sides to it. Armour inspector helps in the beginning

Edited by Humble_Tank, 28 August 2018 - 06:11 PM.

Mjr_Eazy #4 Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 36834 battles
  • [BT_SV]

R35 can take a lot of punishment but that might just encourage you to stay in the open and not use cover.  Using cover I think is the 1st thing a newbie should learn after learning where to shoot.

Learning to shoot wise - armour inspector will help you see where weakspots but it’s a lot of work and when starting out the simplest thing is switch to sniper mode, if it’s red you can’t pen, switch to prammo (you can use credits to buy this not just gold!) and see if that helps.  If not try and HE the tracks and get the hell out of there to get a shot at somewhere you can pen.  Also switch the grass off in sniper mode in settings it helps to see stuff.

Using cover - even destructable objects can help as HE will detonate on it, indestructable objects like buildings/rocks are useful, take a shot and get behind cover.  Trying to staying alive is important but don’t stay too far back or alone, stick with the team and try and shoot at the same red as someone else.  Focus fire will take them out quickly and getting the upper hand in numbers is key.

The advice of doing 100 games at tiers ii and iii is good advice, going up too quickly will not go well and the kv-1 line is a good one to start with.

Re the YT videos - angel_interceptor, LittleFinger and MartinDogger have some good ones for new players.

GL!

547146227.png

Tijgerhaai_XIV #5 Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12554 battles
  • [ALBA]
I'd recommend the Japanese medium line up to tier IV. Excellent tanks, fairly new player friendly, and with a very high ceiling of performance to grow into.

Spinney_FL #6 Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7779 battles
Watch YouTube channels Little Finger, Buska on Blitz are just a couple. They have tank reviews and beginner's guides. There are plenty of other YouTube channels, just make sure it's  World of Tanks Blitz and not World of Tanks.

Just_merpug #7 Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 58266 battles
  • [AFK]
I'd recommend playing one tank at a time, and getting to know how it works. It's a complete sod at first, because you have no idea of the game mechanics and come across players who are infinitely better (sealclubbers). However, no matter how bad you think it is, it's perfectly possible to obliterate all the red tanks in any of the tier I machines. The improvements the higher tiers give you don't matter a damn if you can't figure out how to drive and kill the enemy.

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

Noob_7029 #8 Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6748 battles
Hmm good tip on not rushing tanks. I already were at tier 3 for American line i have to pull the breaks then. Covering and staying with others are somethings that I know. Back on WOW wolf pack attack was a good survival insurance while going alone was usually means death by enemy destroys. I found armor inspector but it said it is for pc?? Will it help or I should look for something else?
I decided to go russian line to T-26 and the other to BT-2 and English line to crusier 3. Are these lines good or it has more wrecking than success?? I also checked game environment and came across something called equipments. Their numbers seem to be bit insignificant. Are they any good for me now or in future??

Just_merpug #9 Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:15 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 58266 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostNoob_7029, on 28 August 2018 - 06:09 AM, said:

Hmm good tip on not rushing tanks. I already were at tier 3 for American line i have to pull the breaks then. Covering and staying with others are somethings that I know. Back on WOW wolf pack attack was a good survival insurance while going alone was usually means death by enemy destroys. I found armor inspector but it said it is for pc?? Will it help or I should look for something else?
I decided to go russian line to T-26 and the other to BT-2 and English line to crusier 3. Are these lines good or it has more wrecking than success?? I also checked game environment and came across something called equipments. Their numbers seem to be bit insignificant. Are they any good for me now or in future??

Both Russian lines have great tanks in them - the T-46 and A-20 are awesome in their tiers - with the preceding tanks being pretty good too. I loved the MS-1, myself. 

The British are quirky, much less OP, but a lot more fun and rewarding to play because of it. The Cromwell/Comet/Centurion line gives three of my favourite tanks in game. Much more fun than the dull brutalism of the KV-1 line, which is always touted as the one to go for as "it's noob friendly". 

All IMHO, of course. 

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

Tijgerhaai_XIV #10 Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:16 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12554 battles
  • [ALBA]

Certainly you don't want to rush up to tier VIII or such, but personally I found the early tiers hell, especially tier III, and really only found my feet at tier IV and V. I found the lower tiers too chaotic and by tier V the tanks have differentiated into distinct types and the meta-game on the maps is more ingrained in players. That said, in those days I played in the PC only queue where the player base was much smaller and so the meta was much stronger.

All the lines have their strong points, the french have silly armour that helps, the Japanese have gun depression, the Brits and Russians have the T-46 and Cruiser IV, the Chinese have everything that everyone else has :) The only thing to watch out for are extreme tanks that may suit you or may be impossible to drive depending on your playstyle. Such as the US M2 Medium, some people love it, some cannot drive it at all because of the derpy high depression gun. The BT-2 and 7 are great tanks but very fast. The T-46 and Cruiser IV are scorchingly good but the auto-cannons can be awkward to control (my worst stats in the game were in the Cruiser IV, which is one of the strongest tanks tier for tier). I'd recommend for learning the French as the armour is always going to help, or the Japanese as they are complete tanks that can teach you nearly everything you need right up until tier X.

Equipment, provisions, crew skills - the gains can be very small nearly negligible, but they mount up and in some situations they are critical to getting that one hit in, or managing to escape over the hill just before the TD reloads. But don't sweat them. If you are bad in a tank without equipment, it isn't going to help, and if you are good in a tank with equipment you would hardly notice the difference without it, except in the long term stats. But yes it will all mount up to a meaningful advantage, which is why WG is limiting some of it at lower tiers to even the playing field a bit for new players.

Edit: too many tanks called Medium something or other :(

Edited by Tijgerhaai_XIV, 28 August 2018 - 07:18 AM.

Mjr_Eazy #11 Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 36834 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Re Armour Inspector, they use the incorrect :) American spelling, ArmorInspector it’s defo on the Apple store for iOS (I have it on my iPhone), I don’t use Android other than via bluestacks emulator to get Amazon store discounts - check out the threads re Amazon savings in the gameplay thread you can save lots of money - it will help you learn where you can be pen-ed so what bits to tey and get behind cover and also where you can reds and where to shoot.  If used with merpug’s advice about sticking to a tank it’s easier as there’s lots to understand.  

Re equipment as noted above, it’s not a huge difference but you will notice it on tanks like A-20, T-46 and Cruiser IV, getting that 7th vertical stabilisers makes a big difference IMHO.  Also there are crew skills which make a difference but until level 5 and above you won’t notice them either but concentrating on a type of tank for a while will progress them quickly.

547146227.png

reekoiler #12 Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 57200 battles
  • [BT_SV]
I agree about the Jap tanks.   They tend not to have the best armour or mobility but this is offset by good gun depression and guns.   Find a ridge and shoot over it.   The Chi-he at tier IV is great for this and it is followed by two similar tanks at tiers V and VI.   Things get weird at tier VII with the Chi-ri, then back to normal after that.

Bada__Bing #13 Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8800 battles
  • [B-B-B]
Welcome to the forum Noob_7029 , I’d just like to say what a refreshing change this thread is , everyone helpful, plenty of good advice. This is what the forum is ( or should be ) all about. I wish you every success in blitz and should you feel the need for a helpful clan anytime B-B-B clan would be happy to take you in and give more guidance.

Elmo_Chipshop #14 Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23353 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostBada__Bing, on 28 August 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

Welcome to the forum Noob_7029 , I’d just like to say what a refreshing change this thread is , everyone helpful, plenty of good advice. This is what the forum is ( or should be ) all about. I wish you every success in blitz and should you feel the need for a helpful clan anytime B-B-B clan would be happy to take you in and give more guidance.

​That is a great clan for new players as Karl does excellent training sessions on voice which are full of content and tips about positioning and map awareness often you get other veterans online too who also add good input. The lads are a great bunch and are easy going and very funny..You won't go wrong with B-B-B clan.

Edited by VonPottypoop, 28 August 2018 - 01:08 PM.

warrior5557 #15 Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2743 battles
  • [FTC-5]
Yep Triple-B is a dam fine clan.

Just_merpug #16 Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 58266 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostTijgerhaai_XIV, on 28 August 2018 - 07:16 AM, said:

Certainly you don't want to rush up to tier VIII or such, but personally I found the early tiers hell, especially tier III, and really only found my feet at tier IV and V. I found the lower tiers too chaotic and by tier V the tanks have differentiated into distinct types and the meta-game on the maps is more ingrained in players. That said, in those days I played in the PC only queue where the player base was much smaller and so the meta was much stronger.

All the lines have their strong points, the french have silly armour that helps, the Japanese have gun depression, the Brits and Russians have the T-46 and Cruiser IV, the Chinese have everything that everyone else has :) The only thing to watch out for are extreme tanks that may suit you or may be impossible to drive depending on your playstyle. Such as the US M2 Medium, some people love it, some cannot drive it at all because of the derpy high depression gun. The BT-2 and 7 are great tanks but very fast. The T-46 and Cruiser IV are scorchingly good but the auto-cannons can be awkward to control (my worst stats in the game were in the Cruiser IV, which is one of the strongest tanks tier for tier). I'd recommend for learning the French as the armour is always going to help, or the Japanese as they are complete tanks that can teach you nearly everything you need right up until tier X.

Equipment, provisions, crew skills - the gains can be very small nearly negligible, but they mount up and in some situations they are critical to getting that one hit in, or managing to escape over the hill just before the TD reloads. But don't sweat them. If you are bad in a tank without equipment, it isn't going to help, and if you are good in a tank with equipment you would hardly notice the difference without it, except in the long term stats. But yes it will all mount up to a meaningful advantage, which is why WG is limiting some of it at lower tiers to even the playing field a bit for new players.

Edit: too many tanks called Medium something or other :(

Medium 2 was castrated by the HEAT nerf. Dull now.

SoleTrader #17 Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:29 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13520 battles
It's all one watching the pro's but for newbies I think they over complicate it with drivel. Game play is where you'll learn.

Noob_7029 #18 Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:32 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6748 battles
Good so I have a plan now for some time. Play some more games and reach this conclusion that you either move or die in this game which brings me this question that what is the point of capturing base here?? In all the games I played someone (red or green) try to capture the base and always it was a failure.
I played some games in my new tanks ms-1 is amazing but I can’t say that to medium 1. I read here that they call it tier 1 death star. It reminds me of a slug. After I got 6-pdr 8 cwt it’s just start to make sense but a bit. There is a desire that everyone is trying to shoot you and all of their shots goes in. I tried to use sniper mode at far distance but my shots hit somewhere else. I went to fornt line cause 500 damage and got rip apart. It wasn’t enjoyable at all and definitely not near a Death Star. I just want to get rid of it.
I met some new tanks too T-15,Bt-art and ke-ni otsu since i didn’t saw them in tech tree or premium tanks so they were some event tank right??
I thought R35 is scary but enemy ke-ni otsu killed all 7 of us alone I really like to know how I can get one

Edited by Noob_7029, 29 August 2018 - 06:47 AM.

Just_merpug #19 Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 58266 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostNoob_7029, on 29 August 2018 - 06:32 AM, said:

Good so I have a plan now for some time. Play some more games and reach this conclusion that you either move or die in this game which brings me this question that what is the point of capturing base here?? In all the games I played someone (red or green) try to capture the base and always it was a failure.
I played some games in my new tanks ms-1 is amazing but I can’t say that to medium 1. I read here that they call it tier 1 death star. It reminds me of a slug. After I got 6-pdr 8 cwt it’s just to make sense but a bit. There is a desire that everyone is trying to shoot you and all of their shots goes in. I tried to use sniper mode at far distance but my shots hit somewhere else. I went to fornt line cause 500 damage and got rip apart. It wasn’t enjoyable at all and definitely not near a Death Star. I just want to get rid of it.
I met some new tanks too T-15,Bt-art and ke-ni otsu since i didn’t saw them in tech tree or premium tanks so they were some event tank right??
I thought R35 is scary but enemy ke-ni otsu killed all 7 of us alone I really like to know how I can get one

The Medium MkI is difficult to play, but rewarding once it clicks. Using your height and hard cover effectively, not camping at the back but supporting the front line is key. Most people give it up as soon as possible, because the Renault and its clones are easier.

Non-tech--tree premiums happen in the game store and in the two bigger crates. Sometimes in events, too, or WG gives them away.

Ke-ni Otsu is a broken tank, sold once, briefly, by mistake. Any attempt to remedy this is met with incoherent raving by its owners. If WG had any balls they'd have deleted it, refunded the purchase price and relaunched a fixed version. Instead it's become a metric for the immutability of the specification of premium tanks. Dumb. 

Noob_7029 #20 Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6748 battles
So basically there is a bug in the tier 3 that if it is red im dead intresting.
Today i had some nice game in medium1 and managed to get 2 first class but still the sight of this tank disgust me. Same thing happened for chi-ni as well. Try to get first class for m2 medium or preferably ace but I constantly ran to DW2 and that tank was a nightmare to my HE gun and all of my teammates. A quick search and I find why they call it death wagon.
So the thing im doing is to read the guide of the tank from this forum (or forum from other servers) then watch a video about it ( thanks to little finger) and then jump in the tank and try to figure it out. I will do this for some time and then come here and ask that am i in right track or not. Thanks everyone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users