CALM BEFORE THE STORM

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Colmain595 #1 Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:55 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 38126 battles
  • [KRH]

It appears to me that the game is slowly changing direction.  Much of this is being done in a slow, stealthy way by WG in increments.

Take the recent changes to the MM.  Some may say there is no change.  But we now know that there appears to be several MM ques, under and over 5000 battles.  Never mentioned by WG but by careful study by many it's become apparent that not all is well at any tier after the latest update.

Then there is the seemingly delayed lower tech tree changes that we are all still waiting for.  I suspect the new status of so called 'collector' tanks will be part of this new tech tree reshuffle to come.

I think the tech tree changes have all the hall marks of the spare parts disaster.  I have noticed that some players have already begun to leave because of the recent update.

If there are any CCs out there reading this it would be interesting to know your thoughts and opinions.  Has anyone seen any thing mentioned on the RU server/threads or on discord generally?

I'm not a great player but I'm a loyal one.  Have been playing since 2014.  I spend money on the game.  But even I have noticed change since the last update and can see what is happening.  I'm rethinking my commitment to the game once again much the same way I did post 3.8.

Your thoughts fellow players?

reekoiler #2 Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27871 battles
  • [FTC-1]
So, what is happening?   And why shouldn’t the game change?

VarpusenI #3 Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 18650 battles
  • [C-F]
When people come older more they want to stick with something familiar, change is terrifying them.

killerkiller777 #4 Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 33301 battles
  • [TNG]

View Postreekoiler, on 11 October 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

Many things happened, for example, if you will try to ace tier 1, 2, 3 or even 4 tank is impossible now. Why? Because re-rolls are shooting bots instead of real players and, for example, is easy to do 1200+ damage with 6-7 kills in tier 2. Can you do it playing against real players (in most cases only players with minimum of 5000 battles)? It was fair if the separated queue was not affecting the main queue, or at least from mastery points of view.

In my opinion is good that newbies are playing into separated queue but was even better if they were playing with no stats, this way was totally discouraging those tier 3 "superunicums" to keep re-rolling.

Edited by killerkiller777, 11 October 2018 - 03:53 PM.

Thank you for removing timers and spare parts, now please do the same with Military Honor !

killerkiller777 #5 Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 33301 battles
  • [TNG]

Edited by killerkiller777, 11 October 2018 - 03:52 PM.

Thank you for removing timers and spare parts, now please do the same with Military Honor !

Player_3538429276 #6 Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 22731 battles
  • [CPA]

View Postkillerkiller777, on 11 October 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

Many things happened, for example, if you will try to ace tier 1, 2, 3 or even 4 tank is impossible now. Why? Because re-rolls are shooting bots instead of real players and, for example, is easy to do 1200+ damage with 6-7 kills in tier 2. Can you do it playing against real players (in most cases only players with minimum of 5000 battles)? It was fair if the separated queue was not affecting the main queue, or at least from mastery points of view.

In my opinion is good that newbies are playing into separated queue but was even better if they were playing with no stats, this way was totally discouraging those tier 3 "superunicums" to keep re-rolling.

People ace tanks in the Rating environment, so no problems.

killerkiller777 #7 Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:04 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 33301 battles
  • [TNG]

View PostPlayer_3538429276, on 11 October 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

People ace tanks in the Rating environment, so no problems.

Rating is fine, you are still playing against real players. In most of the cases, in order to ace a tank you need noobs in both teams, so, if you are referring that some players are going down to bronze / silver league just to play against noobs and to ace tanks, it is their problem. But with the actual changes, a player with more than 5000 battles CANNOT ace low tier tank.

Player_3538429276 #8 Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 22731 battles
  • [CPA]

View Postkillerkiller777, on 11 October 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

Rating is fine, you are still playing against real players. In most of the cases, in order to ace a tank you need noobs in both teams, so, if you are referring that some players are going down to bronze / silver league just to play against noobs and to ace tanks, it is their problem. But with the actual changes, a player with more than 5000 battles CANNOT ace low tier tank.

I’ve seen 2 aces with T-54 in a row in the Diamond league on one stream. Everything is possible. Be more proactive.

jonty_2014 #9 Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 58065 battles
  • [EMRS]
Weeeeellll....

I’m not sure the low battle count MM will have the desired effect, or if it’s having the desired effect. (Meaning this is what WG intended, or whether the law of unintended consequences has kicked in...)

WG were concerned about player retention and were trying to address it. They are/were trying to make the game easier for less experienced players.

Stubbo has a good recent thread about reroll accounts to exploit this.

When new players cease to be so, they then fall off the cliff edge of difficulty... whether this assists or delays player retention issues I don’t know.

WG certainly do, and will be watching it closely. Players who have had 5000 easy/easier games and have spent money are more likely to stay I would suggest.

As for tech tree simplification, WG have gone silent on this... for now. Their proposals recently were met with almost universal hostile feedback. What WG’s plans are here, I can only speculate.

WG have certainly hinted that removal of tanks from the tech tree / sale is possible in the future.

With nearly 400 vehicles in the game at present, I’m not overly concerned.

Given that the game has been going 4 years, longevity is an issue... to keep it fresh and attract new players, changed are inevitable. The current player base demands change constantly.

The game can’t stay static as this leads to stagnation, withering and decline.

iOS issues aside, the new update looks great and I’m happy to support the game.

Removal of spare parts, crates, and the addition of new content is all good in my book.

Edited by jonty_2014, 12 October 2018 - 01:43 PM.

Denii #10 Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24788 battles
  • [GR3X]
I see it as a positive development. We loose a cluple of seal clubbers but we gain plauers who have a chance to actually learn the game. That and not seeing players with 56 battles driving a t8 premium tank.

no1_c_nt #11 Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 615 battles

View Postreekoiler, on 11 October 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

If it changed for the better, that’d be good...but with each successive update since it was released, it’s become consistently worse.....that’s why!

The_Prophecy98 #12 Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:07 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 35131 battles
  • [PINK]

View PostColmain595, on 11 October 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

It appears to me that the game is slowly changing direction.  Much of this is being done in a slow, stealthy way by WG in increments.

Take the recent changes to the MM.  Some may say there is no change.  But we now know that there appears to be several MM ques, under and over 5000 battles.  Never mentioned by WG but by careful study by many it's become apparent that not all is well at any tier after the latest update.

Then there is the seemingly delayed lower tech tree changes that we are all still waiting for.  I suspect the new status of so called 'collector' tanks will be part of this new tech tree reshuffle to come.

I think the tech tree changes have all the hall marks of the spare parts disaster.  I have noticed that some players have already begun to leave because of the recent update.

If there are any CCs out there reading this it would be interesting to know your thoughts and opinions.  Has anyone seen any thing mentioned on the RU server/threads or on discord generally?

I'm not a great player but I'm a loyal one.  Have been playing since 2014.  I spend money on the game.  But even I have noticed change since the last update and can see what is happening.  I'm rethinking my commitment to the game once again much the same way I did post 3.8.

Your thoughts fellow players?

MMExample.PNG

Stop spreading lies please. They didn't split the queue for players, look at that. 20k battles with 190 battles in one team, "ThEy ArE sPlItTiNg ThE mM"

Edited by The_Prophecy98, 11 October 2018 - 07:12 PM.

reekoiler #13 Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27871 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View Postno1_c_nt, on 11 October 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

If it changed for the better, that’d be good...but with each successive update since it was released, it’s become consistently worse.....that’s why!

I disagree.   We have replays now.   Timers were abolished.   We have MH, which I like.   The equipment choice is better than it used to be.   We have these things that show you hit someone (OK, I have those switched off but there is at least a choice).   Probably there are more improvements.   No need to be so negative.

harrier_77 #14 Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39920 battles
  • [NX6]

I'm tentatively watching where I'm treading here, but is it my imagination or have wg put things a little bit more back to pre 5.3?. During 5.3 I dropped from a wr of 61.46% to 61.18%... I took an absolute towelling. Since yesterday my wr has gone up to 61.22%...that doesn't sound much but in the scheme of 40k+ battles it takes a huge amount of wins to move wr by .01%. I seem to be navigating calmer waters once again. 

Maybe I'm just on a lucky run....then again....maybe not.

Time will tell.

And when I reach the gates of heaven, Saint Peter I will tell..."one more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell".

verse found among possessions of dead american GI on omaha beach. Normandy 1944.

Jukkis74 #15 Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:18 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 27352 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostThe_Prophecy98, on 11 October 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

MMExample.PNG

Stop spreading lies please. They didn't split the queue for players, look at that. 20k battles with 190 battles in one team, "ThEy ArE sPlItTiNg ThE mM"

Yes they did do the split. It is not absolute, though. If MM fails to match with split teams it goes back to old/normal mode. It might or might not do that to some degree by purpose as well. Just record consecutive (preferably same tier) 10 or 20 or more battles and report results. This is easy one to document, now that replays are available.

Knickerson #16 Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 26447 battles
  • [ICN]

I can appreciate the concern of an impending storm. Me, I'm not there yet. I'm not sure that the changes of the game has affected my gameplay that much, and it's probably because I've been grinding a couple different lines at different tiers with different levels of crew xp, in addition to the regular tanks I play.

I also think that no matter what WG does to help new players—and I applaud them for trying—it won't stop veterans from rerolling nor newbies from buying their way up to the higher tiers.

What I would love to see WG build is some kind of decent premium tank reward system based on tier merit and number of career games. For example:

• Play n number of games at tiers I-IV, achieve n number of aces and n kinds of badges—get a decent tier V premium tank
  • Play n number of games at tiers V-VII, achieve n number of aces and n kinds of badges—get a decent tier VIII premium tank
  • Play n number of games at tiers VIII-X, achieve n number of aces and n kinds of badges—get an extra special premium tank (not available on the tech tree)
  • Play 10,000 games with decent MH (or whatever replaces MH)—reward
  • Play 20,000 games with decent MH—big reward
  • Play 50,000 games with decent MH—huge reward
  • Play 100,000 games with decent MH—WG stock options

In other words, show players it's worth building and having a career account.

A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse! ...
I have set my life upon a cast,
and I will stand the hazard of a die.

William Shakespeare
Richard III – Act 5, scene 4

minitelrose #17 Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:53 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 58502 battles
  • [AFK]

I do think the game is about to change. Will it be better ? More difficult ? More fun ? More boring ?

i don’t know, we will see. Of course there will be some trade offs. 

To me, the spare parts was a change in economics. There has been many change in the economics, one might even argue that it was a constant shift. The events. The credit crunch. The SP. the crates. But to me those aren’t significant. As long as you can play a fair game in a free to pay environment, I’m game.

now i do think we are about to see a change in the game play. There weren’t many of them, and some came by increments, from various reasons some , and some came slowly. let’s try to list some of them

• team kill. No more teamkill 
  • Android. Giant wave of newbies going in all directions from spawn. Half of them trying to cross the redline towards the horizon.
  • failtooning ban
  • MM+-2. 1. First guy to die brings his team down. Nobody is allowed to go alone anymore, teams shouldn’t split anymore, all left, or all right is mandatory. But instead, we got all wrong most of the times. That was hard to overcome.
  • arrival of PC. Not as huge wave of newbies because lots of pc players were already gamers from other games, when not just former touch players. But they have OP aiming.
  • heat nerf
  • tier7 rebalance
  • supremacy OMG supremacy might as well play Russian roulette. No way to turn it off. 
  • Ranked. Supposedly everyone is good. Turned out the same old.
  • veterans. In old days few people had 20K battles. Nowadays, half of the player base seems to be above 20K. Several 30K or 40K players per battle is not unusual. That’s a whole lot of experience.

anyways those gameplay deeply affected the way we played. In early days nobody expected to win. As a result, you could make a big difference. Or not. But heroism was strong.

no the game has to be immensely and precisely coordinated by every single teammember. The game has become much more technical. It’s a game of cowards and machiavels. 

It has become so campy and boring I’m almost going out turn that supremacy switch on again.

Edited by minitelrose, 12 October 2018 - 05:54 AM.

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

sixty_three #18 Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 12321 battles

+1 to Minitelrose for that last post, for the neat history of the major developments in the game.

One last thing before I finally sign off this forum.  It’s the ‘Elephant in the room’.  It’s WG themselves.  

In other threads I’ve argued that the ‘test MM’ with the 5000-battle transition point either wasn’t designed to help beginners, or it’s a useless attempt at doing so.  But they were quite prepared to experiment with this game, without telling anybody about their plans, before denying anything had happened. It’s one thing to be incompetent and not consult with your customer base.  The spare part fiasco was a case in point.  But to be duplicitous and lie by denying any such change to the MM had been implemented? That crossed one of my few red lines I have with any company I deal with. That’s why I deleted the game.

A leopard doesn’t change its spots.

There are other great things you can do to pass your spare time, and part of the fun is finding these out for yourself.

End of sermon and goodbye!

One of life’s challenges — knowing enough to think you are right, but not enough to know that you are wrong.

Precariat #19 Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:07 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 14549 battles
  • [B-B-B]

Well i'm not sure I buy into the conspiracy theories, last 3-4 weeks something "feels" off. I struggle at tier vi (winning around 50% but doing much lower damage/exp than before), likewise tier v I feel less effective in most tanks. However, I play around 10 battles each day in tiers i-iv (2 each tier in different tanks), here last 4 days I average 90% WR. I feel like I'm being pushed to either seal clubbing or sucking ...where's the middle ground?

Have seal clubbers moved to tier v/vi? I often see 60%+ players there alongside, <500 battle new players. Often top damage/exp being done by players well below 50% WR. It feels so random now, that I wonder why bother with those tiers at all? Not good from WG point of view as I have plenty of premiums and don't really need premium time at low tier.

Is this all down to those tank research certificates? Where will the balance be found?

I got another 30 or so days of premium time left as I was trying to progress by researching all tanks at a given tier before moving up and thus using premium and boosters to help with this. But now other than maxing out crew skills why spend any money at all? I actually had been spending a decent amount of money on the game each month but now I guess I will just go free to play. I was spending way more than I did in my first 3-6 months of the game as Blitz was all I played.

Eventually I will find something else that is more rewarding to sink my free time into, I would rather not but seems inevitable

When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't crawl anymore somebody will carry you

geomal #20 Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29847 battles
  • [-GRC-]

View PostDenii, on 11 October 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

I see it as a positive development. We loose a cluple of seal clubbers but we gain plauers who have a chance to actually learn the game. That and not seeing players with 56 battles driving a t8 premium tank.

Don't think so, after 5.3 the game has become unplayable for average players on particular periods of the day, in the past used to give pretty fair result chances that "guarrantied" fun for all lets say. now it doesn't. So what makes you think that you will get benefits in fun by these changes? And frankly, you are the only one from the participants in this MM topics that shows impovement. All others are getting hammered in their stats. Would you like to explain it for me?

My opinion is that the game is changing to the "shoot em all" style rather than becoming more stategic and more tactical. In this sense the 15 yo child in example has far more bigger chances to be a unicum than an older player as reflexes are decreasing through age. I am not counting the different platforms the game works and the possible responce time delays in player commands as i cannot measure them.  

On the other hand this "collector" thing is imo an absolut BS. Collect what? An e-model of a tank? WTF would collect something like that? and what will happened to his collection if tommorrow WG go bankrupt? Sorry, guys but I haven't heard a greater nonsence in my life. And I haven't heard a greater marketing deception than that.  

I am crying laud for WG's marketing department incompetence and stu.....ty since the day they introduced these events that you could buy things that costed more than in the in-game store, but to no avail. Anyway, comrades WG staff, please think! Marketing is a capitalistic world invention to alter and create the needs of the people. It's not something that you are good on and you do it the totally wrong way. A smart capitalist pig would appreciate value for money and not the other way around. In your product the value is FUN. Unfurtunately lately you are failing miserably to provide it.  

That's all folks!!! 

Edited by geomal, 12 October 2018 - 08:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users