Improving the WOTB Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

IKillNoobsEveryday #1 Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18212 battles

Hello all,

As of right now i’m sure we can all agree the tutorial doesn’t do enough to help new players have a positive experience in the game, or properly help them understand the game itself.

Well, an idea I think that would be to have battles specific to a certain in game function.

For example, the first battle I believe a newcomer should go through would be one focusing on the penetration mechanic, after all how can you be useful if you don’t completely understand how to deal damage?

What i was thinking is that instead of the player being pitted against just tier ones, one or two tier twos are added that are strong on the front but weak on the side (I believe one of the panzers is a good example). Of course the player would have invulnerability if his/her health gets too low. The main goal is to understand how to penetrate (especially) an armoured enemy. 

In addition to this, after the battle is finished, I believe WG should offer videos about the specific mechanic to the player which are optional. These can have a small gold incentive also.

So ideally there would be several battles focusing on a specific mechanic with each offering videos to help understand it and of course with the incentive. These would be small maybe 1-2min videos which could be created either by WG or a CC. I would say the videos can offer 50 gold/video if you fully watch them. Depends really how many would be done. 

In my opinion it would go roughly in this order;

-Penetration mechanic

-Ammo types

-Weak points/Accuracy

Also, these videos when released should permanently be available and should be available to people already playing. However I would have the gold incentive higher for the people who are actually doing the tutorial and are new to the game.

This is just a rough idea now but I would appreciate if you could build on anything I suggested or criticse it. There’s probably some tbings I forgot to mention which I can’t think of right now.

Mjr_Eazy #2 Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 24710 battles
  • [BT_SV]

I like this idea, but WG ain't gonna do it, they want nabs getting to higher tiers and buying premiums for cash/gold so don't really want the players to learn how to play as if they do they will just play tech tree tanks and not spend any money....

It might be worth seeing if you can get one of the CC's to suggest your idea and see what WG say....

As if they really meant what they said about helping new players why would they not do this?

They are lying money grabbing gits that used the "help new players" as a smoke-screen for a cynical marketing change to the game, perhaps?

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy

MikkelTJ #3 Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:50 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 40620 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostIKillNoobsEveryday, on 10 January 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

For example, the first battle I believe a newcomer should go through would be one focusing on the penetration mechanic, after all how can you be useful if you don’t completely understand how to deal damage?

What i was thinking is that instead of the player being pitted against just tier ones, one or two tier twos are added that are strong on the front but weak on the side (I believe one of the panzers is a good example). Of course the player would have invulnerability if his/her health gets too low. The main goal is to understand how to penetrate (especially) an armoured enemy. 

I agree that the tutorial should be improved a lot. Ideally it should not just be one tutorial, but rather a set of tutorials, intermixed with playing actual games. E.g. you could have a tutorial about spotting mechanics (or some other topic) after the player has played 200 battles, when he unlocks his first tier 4 tank, or on some other milestone. The player should be given some reward (credits or gold) for completing each tutorial, and it should be possible to retake any tutorial from the game menu.

All this talk about player retention as an explanation of the big changes in low tiers seems really hollow until WG actually does something to help new players learn the game basics.

As for the example above with penetrating an armored enemy from the side, I think this is probably the only thing which is covered by the current tutorial. At least it was last time I saw it, which admittedly is several years ago. If I am not mistaken the tutorial involved driving some M4 variant, and needing to shoot i Ferdie. The player is first taken to the front of the Ferdie, which cannot be penned. He is then taken to flank, and is able to kill the Ferdie with shots to the side.

Has anyone seen the tutorial lately? What is it like nowadays? Is this still the only thing in it, apart from learning to move the tank and pressing the fire button?

Edited by MikkelTJ, 11 January 2019 - 07:51 AM.

Fugit555 #4 Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:21 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23659 battles
  • [49DIV]
the tutorial is very basic indeed and certainly not that helpful. I know Meadsy69 did raise this with WG, but alas it came to nowt, with them favouring the CC's doing this stuff instead.

Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to kill, kill kill - War is hell, maybe :justwait:

VISIT MY YT CHANNELhttps://www.youtube....2L0jDqH-GsulArQ

minitelrose #5 Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 67528 battles
  • [AFK]

Is the tutorial those games you fight against bots ?

I’m still trying to complete it after 5 years.

Guess I’m not good enough yet, but i  can’t wait to start the actual game ! 

Edited by minitelrose, 12 January 2019 - 07:58 AM.

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

_NeVeR_ReKt_ #6 Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:20 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 6728 battles
  • [FI_90]

View Postminitelrose, on 12 January 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

Is the tutorial those games you fight against bots ?

I’m still trying to complete it after 5 years.

Guess I’m not good enough yet, but i  can’t wait to start the actual game ! 

u r not funny

kaatraan #7 Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1772 battles

View PostIKillNoobsEveryday, on 10 January 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

What i was thinking is that instead of the player being pitted against just tier ones, one or two tier twos are added that are strong on the front but weak on the side

Don't know, this could be a new way of frustration for a category of players that is already put at a significant disadvantage. 

VarpusenI #8 Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:44 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19176 battles
  • [C-F]
Walls of forum halls are covered with good ideas, shame that owners are too busy to visit their mansion.

IKillNoobsEveryday #9 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:42 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18212 battles

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 11 January 2019 - 01:59 AM, said:

I like this idea, but WG ain't gonna do it, they want nabs getting to higher tiers and buying premiums for cash/gold so don't really want the players to learn how to play as if they do they will just play tech tree tanks and not spend any money...

I think the opposite. Surely if you improve the experience for a new player they are more likely to continue playing the game and progressing in the game. And with the progression comes a likeliness that they will spend money as they are more involved with the game.

IKillNoobsEveryday #10 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18212 battles

View PostMikkelTJ, on 11 January 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

As for the example above with penetrating an armored enemy from the side, I think this is probably the only thing which is covered by the current tutorial. At least it was last time I saw it, which admittedly is several years ago. If I am not mistaken the tutorial involved driving some M4 variant, and needing to shoot i Ferdie. The player is first taken to the front of the Ferdie, which cannot be penned. He is then taken to flank, and is able to kill the Ferdie with shots to the side.

Has anyone seen the tutorial lately? What is it like nowadays? Is this still the only thing in it, apart from learning to move the tank and pressing the fire button?

It literally goes like this:

shows you how to move the camera

-tells you how to move your tank foward and how to turn it

-shows you how to shoot an enemy standing still.

-shows you a heavily armoured panzer which it then tells you to go round the side to pen it.

its very basic and in most games the enemy isnt going to be still letting you shoot its flush side. Its far too basic... for a tutorial.

IKillNoobsEveryday #11 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18212 battles
Thank you for the useful messages - sorry for the late reply. I check this forum inconsistently and often forget if I ever create a new topic.

Edited by IKillNoobsEveryday, 14 January 2019 - 11:45 PM.

MikkelTJ #12 Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 40620 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostIKillNoobsEveryday, on 15 January 2019 - 12:44 AM, said:

It literally goes like this:

shows you how to move the camera

-tells you how to move your tank foward and how to turn it

-shows you how to shoot an enemy standing still.

-shows you a heavily armoured panzer which it then tells you to go round the side to pen it.

its very basic and in most games the enemy isnt going to be still letting you shoot its flush side. Its far too basic... for a tutorial.

Thx. I can see it hasn't changed at all since I saw it last.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users