Blitz Economics - WG Pricing structure for tanks explained

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

stubbo66 #1 Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 62832 battles
  • [49DIV]

A lot is made about the pricing of tanks in Blitz, and rightly so. They don't represent good value for money unless you play them until the wheels fall off. For collectors it's just a big black hole to drain your money down. But understanding the pricing structure WG apply to their tanks will help you make better decisions about when to buy them and whether they represent good value for money or not.

WG have a structure for tanks by tier that I will break down as first release, 2nd release, 3rd release and then any best offers that they can apply on 4th release onwards.

Now this is specific to tanks sold in the store, not to premium tanks on the tech tree. Store sold tanks carry an additional premium above tech tree tanks due to their rarity.

We have now collectable tanks as well as the premium tanks. WG are not really differentiating them on pricing..yet..so it's really hard to understand their desire to label them differently. I guess that may change in future, but for now I will assume they are the same.

The following table lays out the average prices for tanks by tier and release....Where I have not specified a number, it's because there have not been any sold in store for the last 18 months, this mostly applies to tiers 5 and below that have had no new tanks for a long time. If I specify currency, it will be the full iOS cost and GBP, just and 12% for euro prices. And remember, you can save 30-40% off these prices using Amazon and coins etc.

Tank Tier First Release 2nd Release 3rd Release Special offers Notes
Tier 1 none none none none No premium tier 1 tanks
Tier 2 none none none Usually sold in bundles for cash with premium time or gold for £4-£8 Not typically sold, haven't been any since April '18
Tier 3 none none none Again, usually sold for cash in bundles £3-£7. One even sold for £20 last year. No new tier 3 tanks sine June '17
Tier 4 none none none 1250 - 2100 gold. Expect around £4-£6 usually. Comes with a 15-30% discount The recent B2 740 was the first collectable sale, and was priced at the top end of the scale (2100 gold), higher than any previous tier 4
Tier 5 none none none 2100-3500 gold. 20%-40% discount on release pricing usually. Recent example, KV-220 T, sold for £9 bundled with 7 days premium discounted 40%

So I'll break it there for a moment to recap. As you can see from the above WG are no longer introducing new tanks in tiers 5 or lower, with the sole exception of the KV220 T which was a rerelease for them as it was a beta test reward tank initially. Don't expect to see any new tanks released in future in any of these tiers, but if they do the pricing above should hold and I would expect many of them to come in bundles to attract newbie players.

So on with the higher tiers.

Tank Tier First Release 2nd Release 3rd Release Special offers Notes
Tier 6

6K (no slots)

8K (with slots unlocked)

5.5K-6K With 9 equipment slots

Discounts up to 20%

4K-5K Staying above tech tree prices. Discounts up to 30% 2.2K-3K with 40% discounts are common Tanks have tended to be sold with slots unlocked to bulk the pricing except on high discount offers.
Tier 7 10K bare tank, or
11K with 9 slots and 15-20% discount
~8.5K, no slots, 15% discount ~8K, no slots, 15-20% discount

Can get to 30% discount rarely

(6K-7K)

New tank pricing much better now. Even early 2018 pricing was 40-50% higher
Tier 8

14K-15K bare tank

16K-17K with slots and 10-15% discount 

10K-12.5K, 15-20% discounts common. Some include slots at this price 8K-11K 20% roughly Not many generally Prices generally consistent with pre-2018 model. Higher prices on tanks with special camo
Tier 9

£75 (T55A)

Mostly crate tanks

~17K discounted 10-25%

(£45 roughly)

~14K discounted up to 25% or better

(£38 roughly)

None as of yet Limited tank data, most tanks came in crates first.
Tier 10 All in crates

~£90 (9 slots 40% discount) 121B

~£64 (9 slots 35% discount) Chieftain Mk.6

20K (£54 roughly) None as of yet Limited tank data, all tanks came in crates first.

So you can see quite clearly what you should expect to see a new tank come in to the game priced at. If it comes with slots it will get discounted more heavily than if it is a bare tank, that's just good marketing and is often why I say launch prices although high are not that bad as if you would rather save your credits and equip them using gold they do offer better value than you will get for at least 8-10 months.

Data is limited on tier 9 and 10 tanks as we've only had them just over a year, but you can clearly see how much you can save by waiting until at least the second time it's available in store.

Use this as a ready reckoner when an offer comes up, first releases can be expensive, but do offer value in their own way. Optimal pricing take 8-10 months, but you will have to use credits for slots when you do that.

Longer terms tanks can dip below those pricing levels but generally not by a lot, the biggest regular discounts on higher tier tanks tend to be no more than 30%.

ballist1x #2 Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12738 battles
  • [ALBAC]

Imho anyone paying £70 for a single piece of in game content for a mobile game is getting ripped off. 

Anyone paying that much for a % chance to win said tank us even crazier.

I feel the same way about fifa too.

Arth_Vader #3 Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13373 battles
  • [VG]
Thanks Stubbo66 mate much appreciated.

soulinthemachine #4 Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:41 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 39088 battles
  • [TENC]
Great work stubbo again. Hopefully the Xmas event every year will have the cheap gold crates and the not too unreasonably priced auction.During the event it was possible to get the tier 10 chieftain for around €23 . So it might be worth waiting for Xmas to buy new tanks (If you're not a collector).

DumbApe #5 Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19355 battles
  • [HRG]

Thanks stubbo the work is appreciated. 

Money point to make though is that with the changes made across Tiers 1-5 WG have given themselves another option.  While maybe  new premium tanks will be rare in these tiers, older collectibles from the prenerf tech tree will be frequently sold for gold.  We have already seen a few of these appear in store Paz B2 etc.

IMO this step is to introduce a new player to the idea of buying tanks earlier in the game and start conditioning to encourage gradual, but increasing expenditure.  

Old dog with new tricks ...  and a few tanks. Still mostly sh*te at this game

Bananas in aures habeo. Non possum te audiunt.

SAX0N_WARRI0R #6 Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 37177 battles
  • [1RTR]
Fine work mate :medal:

TangoAlpha1 #7 Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 57711 battles
  • [TENC]

Nice one Stubbo!

I think WG really have shot themselves in the foot of late.

Moving over to collectibles, WG demonstrated to prospective customers that your purchase can be, and will be, irrevocably altered rendering your investment meaningless - not a great benchmark to set for any business.

Furthermore, they have restricted their sales options by no longer being able to offer premium vehicles from tier two to effectively five. The recent offers, I suspect, resulted in very little turnaround.

The more hardcore collector, like me, has had their fingers burned on gamble tanks meaning that very few of us will go after loot boxes with any gusto now but also the fact that we know patience has its own rewards as far as Blitz is concerned as the content eventually trickles down.

Their pricing structure is completely skeewiff. They charge £50+ for a tank, the same price as a brand new console game. Other than a handful of wealthy, hardcore types who realistically is going to shell that kind of money out week after week?

They should revert the collectibles back to Premiums. This would improve their sales options, restore some consumer confidence, and enable pocket money purchases for younger players and tight wads like me! I would also set pricing structures as follows:

Tier 3/4: £4-5

Tier 5: £7:50

Tier 6: £10

Tier 7: £12:50

Tier 8: £15

Tier 9: £17:50

Tier 10: £20

Naturally, new content should have a £5-10 development tax on it but a sensible pricing structure will boost sales and stop players from feeling ripped off all the time. It would also end the need for gamble boxes, which while lucrative are incredibly damaging to brand and vulnerable individuals.

I wish that WG would understand that your customers are your best advocates and address their exploitative approach to us, they can sustain and grow if they took a more friendly attitude towards how they look to maximise sales and retain customer confidence. 

Edited by TangoAlpha1, 13 January 2019 - 08:31 PM.

minitelrose #8 Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 62070 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postballist1x, on 12 January 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

Imho anyone paying £70 for a single piece of in game content for a mobile game is getting ripped off. 

Anyone paying that much for a % chance to win said tank us even crazier.

I feel the same way about fifa too.

it depends mate. 

For comparable entertainment you know about those dvds that you watch once and hold 1.3 hour movie ? Some cost 25$. Let’s say even 12$, which seems to be the new price for a cinema ticket anyways.

same goes for video games that cost 50$ and u get over them in 3-6 hours. 

I bought the AMX 13-57 and immediately put 2000 games on it. (Took 3,5 months though)

this level of entertainment and time is worth 70$ IMO. 

Well that AMX was a lower tier, therefore I paid  less than this, but it was extremely cheap for me.

if it had been a higher tier or sold with some bits to inflate the price to 70squids, it would still have been worth it

Even though at 70$ I probably wouldn’t have bought it, and why so is below :

Another way to look at it is the value of money. If you are a starving student and buying chocolate will place the last week of the month in jeopardy, then u certainly should play free. now if you are later in life, have high income and not much time for the game at all because job, wife, kids, dog, house, and the neighbors broken lawnmower also want your time, then how much money are  those 5 minutes game is irrelevant. U could pay twice as much and not care.

So a tier 7 premium tank for 70 euros, or even a tier 10 tank for this much, I  probably would not have bought it.

the reason is I keep some sort of rolling budget, as a self control feature.

I fixed the level of budget as this : that level of money doesnt make any difference to me.  if that budget had been twice as much, the money would still make no difference to my pocket. But it wouldn’t make my game more fun. and if it was half of it, the game would have bored me. 

As you see that logic could apply to any level of income, and doesn’t have a set limit. But I ran things like that for a long time and I am comfortable keeping it that way. Other people might do according to another logic, and of course people with tier 10 premium expenses, have their good reasons. 

Finally, IMO, anyone who gambles real money to maybe get a small chance of receiving a pixel piece of thing and maybe not receive anything at all... that guy plays the wrong game obviously, or doesn’t understand what he is doing. It’s disturbing me deeply to think about it so I won’t comment more. 

Now I consider The guy who is decided to spend any amount of money to get that tank through gambling as different. Because he won’t give up there isn’t a level of uncertainty anymore, and how much money he spends (or not) only makes sense or not to himself. I can’t judge him. Maybe he spends 5K$ on shirts and shoes every month. Why would he care about 500$ on a videogame, he wants to play that tank, and he only has one hour to spend on the game.

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

Yr_Mama #9 Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7181 battles

The other thing that I don’t think has been factored in to the prices charged by WG is the cut charged by Apple (ipad, iPhone players) and Google (android pad and phone). My understanding is that Google are much more commercial and ask for a smaller cut so prices through the Google platform are cheaper? I am an Apple user so don’t know how accurate this is. I’m led to believe that Apple are greedy f*****s (which would figure with the prices they charge for their products and their annual profits) which is why anything bought through the App Store is going to be expensive. 

I might be completely wrong but I don’t know any “middleman” who doesn’t get a cut. 

ballist1x #10 Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12738 battles
  • [ALBAC]

View Postminitelrose, on 13 January 2019 - 11:27 PM, said:

it depends mate. 

For comparable entertainment you know about those dvds that you watch once and hold 1.3 hour movie ? Some cost 25$. Let’s say even 12$, which seems to be the new price for a cinema ticket anyways.

same goes for video games that cost 50$ and u get over them in 3-6 hours. 

I bought the AMX 13-57 and immediately put 2000 games on it. (Took 3,5 months though)

this level of entertainment and time is worth 70$ IMO. 

Well that AMX was a lower tier, therefore I paid  less than this, but it was extremely cheap for me.

if it had been a higher tier or sold with some bits to inflate the price to 70squids, it would still have been worth it

Even though at 70$ I probably wouldn’t have bought it, and why so is below :

Another way to look at it is the value of money. If you are a starving student and buying chocolate will place the last week of the month in jeopardy, then u certainly should play free. now if you are later in life, have high income and not much time for the game at all because job, wife, kids, dog, house, and the neighbors broken lawnmower also want your time, then how much money are  those 5 minutes game is irrelevant. U could pay twice as much and not care.

So a tier 7 premium tank for 70 euros, or even a tier 10 tank for this much, I  probably would not have bought it.

the reason is I keep some sort of rolling budget, as a self control feature.

I fixed the level of budget as this : that level of money doesnt make any difference to me.  if that budget had been twice as much, the money would still make no difference to my pocket. But it wouldn’t make my game more fun. and if it was half of it, the game would have bored me. 

As you see that logic could apply to any level of income, and doesn’t have a set limit. But I ran things like that for a long time and I am comfortable keeping it that way. Other people might do according to another logic, and of course people with tier 10 premium expenses, have their good reasons. 

Finally, IMO, anyone who gambles real money to maybe get a small chance of receiving a pixel piece of thing and maybe not receive anything at all... that guy plays the wrong game obviously, or doesn’t understand what he is doing. It’s disturbing me deeply to think about it so I won’t comment more. 

Now I consider The guy who is decided to spend any amount of money to get that tank through gambling as different. Because he won’t give up there isn’t a level of uncertainty anymore, and how much money he spends (or not) only makes sense or not to himself. I can’t judge him. Maybe he spends 5K$ on shirts and shoes every month. Why would he care about 500$ on a videogame, he wants to play that tank, and he only has one hour to spend on the game.

Even rich people knowable, that's how they become and stay rich.

For the price of a couple of tx tanks you could buy a PlayStation or a t.v. or an entire game where you get all of the content without having to at a ton more for one single unit/tank.

There's not one argument that could convince me that £70 upwards for a tank in a mobile game is reasonable.

What's sad is that some people pay it and try to justify it and actually feed WG s greed so that they don't I be this trend.

Block Quote

Jordan Belfort: Right. I gotta say, I’m incredibly excited to be a part of your firm. I mean…the clients you have are absolutely…

WG: **** the clients. Your only responsibility is to put meat on the table. You got a girlfriend?

WG: Think about Teresa. Name of the game, move the money from your clients’ pocket into your pocket.

Jordan Belfort: Right. But if you can make the clients’ money at the same time, it’s advantageous to everyone, correct?

WG: No.

WG: Stay with me. We don’t create ****; we don’t build anything.

WG: We’re taking home cold hard cash via commission, **********(.

minitelrose #11 Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 62070 battles
  • [AFK]

View Postballist1x, on 14 January 2019 - 12:48 AM, said:

Even rich people knowable, that's how they become and stay rich.

For the price of a couple of tx tanks you could buy a PlayStation or a t.v. or an entire game where you get all of the content without having to at a ton more for one single unit/tank.

There's not one argument that could convince me that £70 upwards for a tank in a mobile game is reasonable.

What's sad is that some people pay it and try to justify it and actually feed WG s greed so that they don't I be this trend.

thinking that way just shows you aren’t any rich. 

I know people who go to restaurants with 100$ bill. They do it every day, and they would be stuffed just the same or more if they had gone for the 5$ fried wing bucket instead. 

When you pay 3K shoes, you don’t necessarily desire a PlayStation, and when you want something to use for 10 minutes right now, 100$ might not be anything to think of. 

you will not earn millions by saving on a 70$ expense, and I know personally people who, earning several 100K or even millions per year, never ever managed to spend less than what they got. Their life is/was a wreck and they never gave any sheet about the consequence or never reflected to change anything. Money came their way and they had less interest in it than the rest of the opportunities that was coming their ways.

i don’t know mate, i didn’t want to lecture you, but I hope it gives you some interesting sight and perspective on some other people’s life experience and your own. I found it interesting to see and witness.

Edited by minitelrose, 14 January 2019 - 12:06 AM.

Read my guides there

"I want the game to be just how it was launched, no MM limitations for platoons, some unbalanced match once in a while, and friendly fire should come back as well. The only thing they should remove is statistics." -phony1907, 08 July 2016, 05:45pm - 

I want just that, and replay files.

ballist1x #12 Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12738 battles
  • [ALBAC]

View Postminitelrose, on 14 January 2019 - 12:05 AM, said:

thinking that way just shows you aren’t any rich. 

I know people who go to restaurants with 100$ bill. They do it every day, and they would be stuffed just the same or more if they had gone for the 5$ fried wing bucket instead. 

When you pay 3K shoes, you don’t necessarily desire a PlayStation, and when you want something to use for 10 minutes right now, 100$ might not be anything to think of. 

you will not earn millions by saving on a 70$ expense, and I know personally people who, earning several 100K or even millions per year, never ever managed to spend less than what they got. Their life is/was a wreck and they never gave any sheet about the consequence or never reflected to change anything. Money came their way and they had less interest in it than the rest of the opportunities that was coming their ways.

i don’t know mate, i didn’t want to lecture you, but I hope it gives you some interesting sight and perspective on some other people’s life experience and your own. I found it interesting to see and witness.

not sure that they will stay rich once the earning has gone.

Also not sure these people are playing world of tAnks blitz in numbers enough to be statistically significant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users