AMX 50 100. Best tier 8...medium?

AMX 50 100 tier 8 heavy french you dont read these tags anyway

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: AMX 50 100 Extravaganza! (5 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do you like the 50 100? Was it worth it?

1. Yes, I like it. It was probably worth the grind. (5 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No, I don't like it. It wasn't worth it. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Do you think the clip nerf (4 to 3 shells) has impacted the 50 100 in a gamechanging way?

1. Yes, I believe it changed the tank a lot. (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. No, the tank can still be played/performs similarly. (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Would you return the 4th shell back to the 50 100?

1. Yes, I think it probably deserves it. (3 votes [60.00%])

2. No, the 4th shell was too much. (2 votes [40.00%])

If you were to change/buff something about the 50 100, what would it be?

1. The gun - reload, depression, clip size, dispersion etc. (3 votes [60.00%])

2. Mobility - top speed, traverse rates, terrain resistance etc. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Armor - side/frontal armor buff, module health etc. (2 votes [40.00%])

Do you think the next tank (the AMX 50 120) is worth the grind?

1. Yes, it's a tank that's worth the grind. (2 votes [40.00%])

2. No, it isn't really worth the grind. (3 votes [60.00%])

Vote Hide poll

HablmetForever #1 Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:09 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 19692 battles
  • [-TXC-]

Okay. I think you know the drill by now anyway but since I like to repeat myself a lot, my name is Hab and this is another one of my mini quick guides that is slowly piling up on my profile. This time, we have the AMX 50 100. I have to admit, I didn't really like the tank at first. But then I realized just how much you can actually exploit some of its quite decent stats. I made the tank usher in its era of renaissance today by playing about 25 rating battles with it, since current random battles are far too unpredictable to be really enjoyed. All of the good stuff suddenly started blending in to me. My brain started glowing so much they had to put screens around my entire body until I stopped playing and went for a quick nap. As the name suggests, this tank definitely isn't a heavy. Why? If you still have some patience with me, then you can find out further on in this short guide.

Gun. Good stuff

We'll start off with possibly the best bit of the tank, the part which differentiates it from its peers rather well. Are you sick of not hitting absolutely anything with any of your WZ or IS tanks? Do you want a high pen high reliability gun that can actually hit something? Well, have I got the proposition for you! The 100mm SA47 is an amazing gun - three shells in hardly six seconds, 232mm of penetration and hardly a 20 second reload! Sounds nice, eh? Well...just wait before I finish talking.

While the gun is truly amazing, you probably deserve to know that it was even more powerful during the Dark Ages. Instead of three shells it had four shells. That's frightening, eh? Over 1200 alpha dispensed like that - that can take out most lower tier opponents. Which is why it was lowered to the typical three shell count that you see today. But just because it got a nerf like that doesn't mean the tank is immediately horrible. Not at all! The gun works against practically any kind of opponent. But what I absoutely have to recommend you is to make. Every. Shot. Count. You wouldn't believe how much trouble you'll be in if you fail to dispatch an opponent with your entire clip.  But while the clip power is very good, the rest of the statistics take a bit of a back seat. The dispersion is something about 0.34, and you have only six degrees of gun depression. That may seem pretty bad, but you should remind yourself that a medium tank with that kind of gun depression is very workable. See what I'm trying to get into your mind? Don't play the tank type. Play the tank itself.

Armor. Okay medium armor

While medium tanks don't have exactly good armor most of the time (and when I say most of the time, I'm looking at you, mod 1), that is hardly ever a problem. It starts to become an issue with a tank like this, however. It has some things similar to the FCM 50t, a fellow tier 8 medium tank. The biggest issue isn't the armor thickness - that's what the boys at GIAT assumed when they were making a tank with an oscillating turret. The biggest issue...is how big it is. With an armor profile that high, don't expect to be able to hide rather well. You should start memorizing maps. If you know of a good place to hide when reloading and it doesn't put you in even more danger, then go there. The armor doesn't forgive mistakes, but at least you have a hefty chunk of HP (1590 with my setup). But leaving all of that armor behind opens up a very usable and nice avenue.

Mobility. Really good

Did I get you into the thinking mood now? Well, I sure hope so, because you're gonna have to comprehend the following sentence: Multi-purpose restoration pack, repair kit and turbo boost. And you might say but Hab, that doesn't sound right!, and I'm going to have to stop you there, since a turbo boost is exactly what you need.

While the engine is really beefy, the top speed unfortunately isn't. It's 45, not something else that you would expect from a tank like this, something like 50km/h. But this is perfectly fine. Why? Well, all of that reduced weight gives it rather decent effective horsepower/donkeystrength...I'll stop repeating that. The horsepower rate can be as high as 16.4, which for a tank that weighs almost 50 tons is rather admirable. Most heavies will outperform you in terrain resistance, so there is not much you can do about that, but oh boy the traverse. If you run the tank with the engine accelerator, then you can hit almost 50 degrees across the board. But now I'll talk about how this is actually useful. It's the tank's nature. You can't tank shots. You have to hit hard and relocate...or move away quickly. And that's where that beefy engine and the turbo come in. I'm running double fuel and large rations as provisions, so results may vary, but with my setup, you can punch the horsepower above 1200. That's definitely a lot of power that gives you unbelievable amounts of leeway with your tank placement. And the reverse speed isn't bad, either. It's 20km/h, so you won't retreat too slowly.

Grand finale. Does it need buffing?

Well, I'm sorry that I have to leave this one on a controversial note. Does the tank need a buff? In my opinion, no, but that's what I made the poll for, so you can decide that for yourself. The tank is definitely enjoyable, and while it isn't easy to play, it's definitely rewarding. I almost aced it today. Twice. One time with 3900 damage, where my allies stole my last bits of damage, and 3200, where I was playing rather conservatively. But that's really it. My name is Hab, if you somehow liked this quick guide and maybe learned something from it, let me know in the replies below and maybe put in your own vote in the poll! (I'm still working on that video I promised to do.)

Pros:

• Nice gun - great burst damage and rather good reload too.
  • Mobility is awesome for a tank its size.
  • Rather flexible in its roles - from support to second line support :P

Cons:

• Terrible hull armor - don't expect to block anything.
  • Needs a lot of time getting accustomed to.
  • Large armor profile doesn't help with hiding.

Wildoneshelper #2 Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:11 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20649 battles
  • [VE1L]
A good case of a tank categorized in the wrong tank type, hence wrong style of play often seen, just like Helsing, Blaze, Chinese tier 8 TD, T25/2, Jackson, Wolverine etc. I love the gun and the mobility but the armor seems not to quite fit in with the sheer size and shape. Have since then sold and not regretted lol.

A dedicated hater of KV-2 since day one. (Unpopular opinion :P )

Banquo__ #3 Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 40477 battles
  • [-VU-]
As I remember AMX 50 100 and his bigger brother 50 120 with 100% crew are just... really awesome. Lack of armor is the key to balance it. You can burst damage in seconds, but beware of flying shells. That's it.

romsitsa #4 Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 49802 battles
  • [VG]

I’m sorry, but it’s a pinata. The T49 can HE pen every part of it, except it’s hull front, with HE. Even the FCM 50t is better protected with it’s huge tracks. And it’s not fast enough for having zero armor.

A

_RagingRabbit_ #5 Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 15501 battles
  • [FTC-4]
Talking about this tank (this is a thread from this year so I guess it's not a necro?). It's getting a buff. A gun handling buff to be precise, and that's a good thing. The gun is way to inaccurate for such a big armorless tank. I think it needs 2 degrees of gun depression extra as well. Or at least more gun elevation. Thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users