IS-4. The Mighty Behemoth!

bias-4

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: IS-4 Extravaganza! (4 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do you like the IS-4?

1. Yes, I like it. (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No, I don't like it. (1 vote [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Do you think the IS-4 is a good tournament tank?

1. Yes, it's a good tourney tank. (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No, I don't think it's a good tourney tank. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. What are you doing in my house? (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Do you think the IS-4 needed the armor re-positioning?

1. Yes, I think it needed it. (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, I don't think it was necessary. (2 votes [50.00%])

If you were tasked by the WG employees to buff the IS-4 (for whatever reason), what would you buff?

1. Gun - reload, penetration, gun depression... (2 votes [50.00%])

2. Armor - HP, module health, strength... (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Mobility - p/w ratio, top speed, traverse... (2 votes [50.00%])

Vote Hide poll

HablmetForever #1 Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:11 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 16747 battles
  • [-EMS-]

Hey guys, my name is Hab and this...

...is the BIaS-4. My first tier X tank as well, but that's nothing impressive since I only finished three tier X grinds so far, and I'm coming up to the 4th one (the IS-7). I got it about two months before the armor rebalance, and being honest, I don't think it actually needed it, but it's made the tank far more viable for aggressive gameplay. Why is it in tournaments so often? Why is it one of the best tier Xs at the current time that you can get? And why is it such a vanilla tank bringing us to tanking basics? Find out below. Typical set of three parts - armor, gun and mobility.

Gun. Quite solid

Compared to the IS-7, the IS-4 is definitely more capable of getting consistent shots in. It has better accuracy and while the alpha isn't as large, 420 alpha is perfectly viable for any target you can find. And the penetration is also quite plenty, and in case it isn't enough, you have the superb HEAT shells to back you up. It's kinda weird, you expect something like an IS-5 gun, but this comes closer to the WZ-113 and the T110E5, in my opinion. The gun is one of the reasons it's probably being preferred instead of other tier X heavy tanks, being honest. When I was in my latest tournament, whenever I had to play, I filled in a position with the IS-4. It's just perfectly solid and it doesn't have any radical differences from other tier X guns.

Armor. This is where the fun begins

Personally? The armor didn't need re-positioning. The side armor being stronger is what made the tank unique - an excellent sidescraper in any situation. Now that those 20mm were moved to the front, it has made quite the difference. The tank has a very strong armor profile now. Not extremely strong, mind you. It doesn't have as many trollish areas as the IS-7, but the upper glacis is absolutely doing the business. The armor is quite solid on the turret as well, and I think I can safely say this is one of the best turrets in the whole tier. And the lower glacis is also very small. I think you can imagine the tank being a problem for mediums, and you would be right. But just one bad placement of your tank can result in a disaster. Because angling and sidescraping is this thing's daily bread. Just showing the lower glacis is a good way to get shot. But if you get into a medium's face, they usually have no other choice but to load gold and pray. The armor is the defining factor in why the tank is used so much in tourneys - it's reliable and the other factors aren't lagging behind by any significant margins. Playing from a powerful position with this tank earns such plentiful rewards, it's almost unfair. But this is almost the same story like with the ARL 44 - The only factor that really holds this thing on a leash is the mobility, and thank God that's actually the case with this tank.

Mobility. Fine

There's nothing really much to talk about here, sadly. The tank is still relatively well mobile, and only the traverse numbers are truly slightly below average. This means that you should take great care when you face fast tanks, as anything that goes behind you can get at least one free shot. And oh boy, if you thought you aren't a juicy target with 2200/2335 HP, then I don't know what you're thinking about, lol.

Grand finale. Go for it!

I think the title says this perfectly. But get the BL-9 from the IS-3 first, please. You don't want to play the ST-I with the D-25T. This is an absolutely splendid tank if you want to have a tank that plays the classic, good old, vanilla way. Sorry for the wait for such a mediocre topic, but I honestly didn't have any time this week. But hey, it's past me now. Next up is probably going to be the SU-101 (which should receive far more attention, in my opinion looks at community contributors), and after that we're gonna look on something more interesting that I've recently put up on my YT channel, if you're actually interested. I appreciate any responses or ideas, and as always, feel free to fill the poll in.

A man with not so good vibes is in VIBES. thinking out loud

Mjr_Eazy #2 Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:46 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27166 battles
  • [BT_SV]

Nice write-up, I don’t have one yet but was in a battle the other day and me and another green, an IS-4 went to A on Mayan ruins, rest of team went C.  My team mate put his IS-4 Skilled in a sidescaping position near the cap, I was about 25m behind him, we faced off 4 reds and he bounced shot after shot - they just couldn’t pen him and between us we just chipped away at them...

I’ll dig out the replay and post it later as it shows exactly what you mean about side-scraping strength of the tank.

It was really impressive and made me want this tank, I’m grinding for it now :) and your write up encourages me it’s a good tank.  Although I suck in tier x...

Edited by Mjr_Eazy, 08 March 2019 - 06:48 AM.

547146227.png

HablmetForever #3 Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 16747 battles
  • [-EMS-]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 08 March 2019 - 07:46 AM, said:

Nice write-up, I don’t have one yet but was in a battle the other day and me and another green, an IS-4 went to A on Mayan ruins, rest of team went C.  My team mate put his IS-4 Skilled in a sidescaping position near the cap, I was about 25m behind him, we faced off 4 reds and he bounced shot after shot - they just couldn’t pen him and between us we just chipped away at them...

I’ll dig out the replay and post it later as it shows exactly what you mean about side-scraping strength of the tank.

It was really impressive and made me want this tank, I’m grinding for it now :) and your write up encourages me it’s a good tank.  Although I suck in tier x...

Yeah don't worry, this is one of the easiest tier Xs to play. Completely classic style of play too.

_FREE__SQU1RREL_ #4 Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 38986 battles
  • [-TXC-]

i dont have IS-4 in my garage but i had the chance of trying it for couple of games so i will answer the questions here according to my experiences

1- I didnt like it, dont get me wrong i still think IS-4 is one of the strongest tier10 heavies and very annoying to fight against however it is not fun to play with it either, at least for me. Why? it is slow i dont like slow tank unless they have big derpy guns like E100 Vk72 or Jageroo and i didnt like the gun i felt like it aims too long for doing 420 damage

2- Yes it is good for tournaments sadly...

3- Agree it didnt need change on its armor profile it used to reward people for sidescrapping and punish for showing the lower plate now it became a ''wiggle and get ez bounces'' tank like the IS-7

4- I would buff the gun handling but i would nerf the armor to compensate for it

overall i think IS-4 for is very solid tank but just like most of russian heavy tanks it is both annoying to play and play against and mostly RNG based (hey at least in my opinion)  I didnt like it a lot for me gun and mobility are more important than armor so it is not my cup of tea

Edited by _FREE__SQU1RREL_, 08 March 2019 - 07:53 PM.

HablmetForever #5 Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 16747 battles
  • [-EMS-]

View Post_FREE__SQU1RREL_, on 08 March 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

1- I didnt like it, dont get me wrong i still think IS-4 is one of the strongest tier10 heavies and very annoying to fight against however it is not fun to play with it either, at least for me. Why? it is slow i dont like slow tank unless they have big derpy guns like E100 Vk72 or Jageroo and i didnt like the gun i felt like it aims too long for doing 420 damage.

True, I played the IS-4 rather often this week and even I found the aim time to be rather weird.

Also tagged with bias-4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users