• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Pururut #41 Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 22758 battles
  • [1RTR_]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 15 March 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

I vote for Badger as the new end of the AT line, the FV4005 Stage II as the end of the new Firefly line, and the original FV215b (183) as a collector's tank (with seriously nerfed rate of fire to make the new FV4005 Stage II the more desirable tank, despite the latter's monstrous HE magnet paper turret and horrendous camo rating).

Why link the new td line to firefly? Shouldnt it be linked to Cromwell instead as both Challanger and Charioteer used Cromwell hulls if I remember correctly. Oh and can someone tell me what is it with British and their C letter fetishism regarding tank names? It is like Japanese obsession with Central European architecture in anime only severer. 

Edited by Pururut, 15 March 2019 - 05:35 PM.

Illyasviel von Einzbern> Miyu Edelfeit> Kuro von Einzbern 

Chairman_merpug #42 Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 40589 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostPururut, on 15 March 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

Why link the new td line to firefly? Shouldnt it be linked to Cromwell instead as both Challanger and Charioteer used Cromwell hulls if I remember correctly. Oh and can someone tell me what is it with British and their C letter fetishism regarding tank names? It is like Japanese obsession with Central European architecture in anime only severer. 

You need a tankie or historian for the C thing. The 17pdr, though  is probably the link from Firefly

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

llo1 #43 Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 26909 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostChairman_merpug, on 15 March 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

You need a tankie or historian for the C thing. The 17pdr, though  is probably the link from Firefly

It would be better if WG had a 17pdr that actually behaved similar to historic, and totally rekt any tank available at that time, as well as the equivalent tier in the game!

Certified member, Save the Littlepard Foundation

Colmain595 #44 Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 40778 battles
  • [KRH]

View PostChairman_merpug, on 15 March 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

There is no official explanation.  I served 1989-2013 but was only armoured until 93 then transferred.  The accepted explanations are:

1.  The original Armoured Research & Developement Establishment was at Chertsey - hence the C designation.

2.   Most likely and believed - Until WW2 all British tanks had numerical/alphabetical designations & nick names.  Primarily 2 types of tank Infantry & cruiser.  As the cruisers came on line they were named.  But why C?  Well Look at the meaning behind the names and where they were to be deployed, for example Crusader/Cromwell/Churchill etc etc.  A wealth of history and meaning behind the names both ancient and modern (for the time), it kept up the morale, everyone then would have been able to identify with the associated meanings etc.  The tradition was carried on into the Cold War era and beyond.  

3.  Another belief was that the (I'm a wee bit vague on details now) unit trailing the new tanks in ww1 during development were the 3rd something or others and that C is the third letter in the alphabet - all connected in some way.  

The CVT (T) family all begin with the designation 'S'.  Scimitar, Scorpion etc.  I can't remember why.  All the armoured cars, carriers were named after the developers/manufacturers.

We have always had the best wagon names.  The new Challenger 2 upgrade, 'Black Knight' will be even more awesome than Chally 2, the best tank in the world.  I only ever drove a Chally 1 and for a short time the Chieftain Mk11 a wee while before that.  

Huazzah!

Titus_Scato #45 Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 41156 battles
  • [1RTR]

Good post, Colmain.

I think the names Matilda and Valentine, for the Infantry Tanks Mk.II and Mk.III, were unofficial, and that's one reason why they didn't conform to the 'C' naming convention.  The other reason was, they were pre-war designs, ordered into production before the 'C' naming convention came into force.

The Tortoise didn't follow the 'C' convention either.

I suspect the infantry tank regiments didn't really want to adopt the 'C' naming convention, because they wanted to differentiate themselves from the 'cavalry' cruiser tank regiments - but that's only a theory.  However, they were told that the Infantry Tank Mk.IV was going to be named 'Churchill' whether they liked it or not. 

(And Winston Churchill wasn't too happy when his own decision to rush the Churchill I into production before its teething troubles were fixed made it almost as unreliable as the Mark I from 1916.  After that he decided the tank was named after his 17th Century ancestor the Duke of Marlborough, and not him.)

Chairman_merpug #46 Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 40589 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostColmain595, on 15 March 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

There is no official explanation.  I served 1989-2013 but was only armoured until 93 then transferred.  The accepted explanations are:

1.  The original Armoured Research & Developement Establishment was at Chertsey - hence the C designation.

2.   Most likely and believed - Until WW2 all British tanks had numerical/alphabetical designations & nick names.  Primarily 2 types of tank Infantry & cruiser.  As the cruisers came on line they were named.  But why C?  Well Look at the meaning behind the names and where they were to be deployed, for example Crusader/Cromwell/Churchill etc etc.  A wealth of history and meaning behind the names both ancient and modern (for the time), it kept up the morale, everyone then would have been able to identify with the associated meanings etc.  The tradition was carried on into the Cold War era and beyond.  

3.  Another belief was that the (I'm a wee bit vague on details now) unit trailing the new tanks in ww1 during development were the 3rd something or others and that C is the third letter in the alphabet - all connected in some way.  

The CVT (T) family all begin with the designation 'S'.  Scimitar, Scorpion etc.  I can't remember why.  All the armoured cars, carriers were named after the developers/manufacturers.

We have always had the best wagon names.  The new Challenger 2 upgrade, 'Black Knight' will be even more awesome than Chally 2, the best tank in the world.  I only ever drove a Chally 1 and for a short time the Chieftain Mk11 a wee while before that.  

Huazzah!

Don't forget the Pig

Denoobing member of the Active Frontline Klan - and proud of it. Be nice to me..https://www.blitzstars.com/player/eu/Chairman_merpug

jonty_2014 #47 Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:14 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 62655 battles
  • [EMRS]

Sooooo.....

looks like: Challenger => Charioteer => Conway => FV4005 autoloader with the FV217 as a Collector/Premium/Enriched goldnoob tank.

Colmain595 #48 Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 40778 battles
  • [KRH]
Ok, my gold is waiting out on the new prem UK TD.  Last question.  Do I have to get my Firefly off of the tank park onto the fields of Blitz?  Does the new line start from the firefly or is that just a guess?

Titus_Scato #49 Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 41156 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostPururut, on 15 March 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

The Firefly actually was a turreted TD historically.  Used to support Sherman V mediums against German tanks, without getting involved in their infantry support duties.  The Achilles was used in the same way.

Chairman_merpug #50 Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 40589 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 17 March 2019 - 02:20 AM, said:

The Firefly actually was a turreted TD historically.  Used to support Sherman V mediums against German tanks, without getting involved in their infantry support duties.  The Achilles was used in the same way.

And to support Cromwells, too. 

DumbApe #51 Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 22027 battles
  • [HRG]
Did we actually have a decision on where the Brit TD's will cut into the tech tree?  Cromwell, Firefly or something else?  I'd just like to make sure I have the Xp in the right place.

Old dog with new tricks ...  and a stupid number of tanks. Not totally sh*te at this game but still working on it 

Clan commander Hell Raiser Gang [HRG] -   Bananas in aures habeo. Non possum te audiunt.

RynnivaTykki #52 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:30 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 58640 battles
  • [KORPI]
Don't know yet but I'm betting Firefly.

Chairman_merpug #53 Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:29 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 40589 battles
  • [AFK]
They could spur off from Alecto to Archer to Achilles, of course.

Titus_Scato #54 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 41156 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostChairman_merpug, on 19 March 2019 - 07:29 AM, said:

They could spur off from Alecto to Archer to Achilles, of course.

That's how it should work - but I doubt it in this case, since WG don't like it when people play low tiers in Blitz anymore.

Chairman_merpug #55 Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 40589 battles
  • [AFK]

View PostTitus_Scato, on 19 March 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

That's how it should work - but I doubt it in this case, since WG don't like it when people play low tiers in Blitz anymore.

Makes more sense than the fake graphic did; TD line carrying on from a TD rather than a med. And they have the Archer modelled already. 

RA1D_SCHNITZEL_ #56 Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 47079 battles
  • [RA1D]

View PostColmain595, on 15 March 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Chally 2, the best tank in the world. 

Erm.... ;)

Stop Complaining...           ...Carry Harder!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users