I don’t get on with ...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

reekoiler #1 Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34830 battles
  • [FTC-1]
  • heaviums - such as the AMX M4 45 and the VK 45.02A.   They are glass half-empty tanks - neither enough armour nor mobility
  • turretless TDs - especially great lumbering ones like the Jagdtiger or the SU100Y
  • auto-loaders - they involve too much stress and anxiety getting off your clip, or fiddling about reloading when you fail to do so.

Are there tank types that don’t suit you?

The_Mighty_Wombat #2 Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 35153 battles
  • [-GPA-]

Vk45.02A is a crappy tank in general.

I struggle with turretless TDs as they lack the versatility to use multiple locations and adapt mid game.

Su-122-44 I can work with as its got good dpm and the flat front bounces a fair few when i turn to hide in cover after shooting.

E3 and 268 I do poor in and feel weak and penned by everything. 

onlypainhurts #3 Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 37970 battles
  • [XFIRE]
For me its tank specific there are some i just cant make work for the life of me, Like the M41.  But in general i dont get on with any tank that is slow and needs to camp at the back, there was a time when i had the patience for that gameplay style but not anymore.  i go crazy if i cant respond to the flow of the game and I hate being the last one alive hiding at the back.  Tanks that powerslide all over like the m41 burn me but more sure footed tanks like the SP1 C are cool and i can dig with.

"Oderint dum Metuant"

Colmain595 #4 Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:00 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 40291 battles
  • [KRH]

View Postreekoiler, on 13 March 2019 - 06:19 PM, said:

• heaviums - such as the AMX M4 45 and the VK 45.02A.   They are glass half-empty tanks - neither enough armour nor mobility
  • turretless TDs - especially great lumbering ones like the Jagdtiger or the SU100Y
  • auto-loaders - they involve too much stress and anxiety getting off your clip, or fiddling about reloading when you fail to do so.

Are there tank types that don’t suit you?

I like playing my TDs.  I have posted this over years on various threads, so I will paste it below.  You might find it helpful.

you might find it useful:

"TDs - Many players detest them and the word I most despise -CAMPER- seems to get used to describe TDs a lot of the time.  Which may be correct for some TD players but also exposes those who use the term, showing their ignorance of how difficult TDs are to play yet how versatile they can be.

I am unrepentadly a TD player.  TDs come in all shapes and sizes, armour thickness, speed, gun caliber and gun fixtures.  In my opinion they are the most versatile group of vehicles in the game.  Often difficult  to use but a tremendous asset when used correctly by both the player and team.  

CAMPER - The term so often used by many to describe all TD players.  In reality all TDs camp for a wee while in any game, the soaking up period, determining the best course of action and moving on from there.  A true camper is any player in any vehicle who stays firm (in place) for most of the game, much like a feeder on a coral reef.  Useless and pointless when playing the game.

AMBUSH - All TDs are capable of this, some better than others.  Taking up position in an adantageous position having evaluated the situation, wait (yes you've become a camper for a wee while), then when the opportunity arises give it some.  Get off as many rounds as you can, jockey out of position, relocate and repeat.  Those TDs with high ROF and speed are particularly good at this.  If your particular TD is nimble, act like a light, try to flank and ambush from the flanks or rear.

SNIPER - This tactic usually comes about from waiting in ambush.  Best suited be those TDs with high cam values.  If the enemy can't locate your firing point and you can get the rounds down, lay it on them and keep doing it.  Soon as you are spotted or come under effective enemy fire, jockey out of position and relocate.  When sniping other non TD players will often accuse you of camping, ignore, so long as you are getting those rounds down on target undetected.  

ASSAULT GUN - Some TDs have high armour values and can be used as assault guns in the front line, right up there with the heavies.  Push the Reds back but best done with friendly support lest you get coded.  Depending on the TD type you can use your HP pool to soak up a wee bit of damage, giving your meds and lights time to do their thing.

SECOND LINE - As its says, hang back but support closely your fellow team mates.  For a TD player it's maybe one of the most boring play types but in reality one of the most important.

WILD CARD - Depending on your TD type, how experienced you are in it, use it in a way it wasn't intended.  This can phase out the Reds and confuse them, particularly less experienced players.  Who expects a CGC to be aggressive?  Or a JgPz to get in amongst it brawling like a light?  My crew skills are maxed out so I use that to my advantage, my Tortoise and others for example often surprise the Reds with their high rate of turn.

Then there are this TDs that can do all of the above in a game.

Below are some top tips for TD players:

1.  Always have an escape plan.  By that I mean a way of covering your rear, having the ability to reverse out of danger.

2.  If you can, always try to ensure at least two sides of your wagon are covered (preferably 3),

3.   Perma  track the Reds if you can.

4.   If, whilst reloading you spot a red, highlight him for the rest of your team.

5.  If needed, use your high HP pool to help the team.

6.   Quite often you will be the most rear tank in your team (even in second line support).  If flanked, always turn to face the Reds, give your team the heads up and buy them time, use your alpha and HP to do this.

I would also add.  Your crew skills really do make a difference as many TDs, particularly when stock, are labouriously slow in moving.  So it might be an idea to find a low tier TD or two and play them constantly in order to improve those crew TD skills.

Dont get disheartened by salty chat directed at you, the TD player.  Ignore it and do what TDs do best, high damage onto red targets.

Terrain is your best advantage.  Use the lay of the land.  Go from hard cover to hard cover, use the hills, dips and gullies to get about.  Use the soft cover such as vehicles, carts, guns etc if in a low TD to make it hard for the Reds to scan for you.  Use the trees and bushes in conjunction with your cam value.  Use the advantages of your particular TD.  Low mounted guns, fire under the rail carriages.  Good gun depression, use the crest of hills and ridges.  High mounted guns on a casement TD, use the height to overlook an obstacle or ground feature.  

Dont sky line, that's moving across on top of a high feature/hill.  Don't ever turn and run if flanked, face and fight, become the aggressor. "

As as for the AMX 45 I love it.  I mostly play it in ratings.  It is best played as an aggressive ridge fighter.  In the AMX you need to use the ground to your advantage.  Always face the enemy.  Always try to only present your front and turret front as a target.  

Im not keen on auto loaders myself.  The Kenny is a blast.  If you ever get the AT 7 have ago of the 10-12 round 6pdr auto loader, it's a good craic, phases out the Reds as most players don't use it or expect a TD to spit rounds so fast.  Although not team dependant as many TDs can be I feel auto loaders are more situational and opportunistic in play style.  You need good instinct of when to siege the moment and be situationally more aware.

Hope that helped a wee bit.

Huzzah!

efoster29 #5 Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:30 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 48750 battles
  • [BKRAP]
Turret-less TD's I just find frustrating and struggle with, the game is too fast paced for this type.

Mjr_Eazy #6 Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:16 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23839 battles
  • [BT_SV]

God advice from Colmain altho I still hate TD’s...

Except for CGC, Rhm, WT auF, Hellthing, Toaster, St Emil, SU-100Y, Hetzer, Stug, Flat-panzer, Grille, SU-152...

Oh, turns out I love TD’s :)

As usual generalisations are BS, there’s lots of variety in TD’s so my advice is try a different one!

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy

reekoiler #7 Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:00 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 34830 battles
  • [FTC-1]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 14 March 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

Except for CGC, Rhm, WT auF, Hellthing, Toaster, St Emil, SU-100Y, Hetzer, Stug, Flat-panzer, Grille, SU-152...

As usual generalisations are BS, there’s lots of variety in TD’s so my advice is try a different one!

If it weren’t for generalisations we would hardly be able to discuss anything!   It’s true there are mysterious exceptions.   I get on pretty well with the Ferdinand (probably my favourite turretless TD) and one or two of the Russians.   It’s probably the armour that makes a difference, or something else, I dunno :)

DumbApe #8 Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:33 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 21172 battles
  • [HRG]

I generally tend to stick with tanks that I am cr*p in ... I am spoilt for choice.  

I have though reserved a SPECIAL EMPTY SLOT in the Garage for the St Emil. Actually it is just a hole that goes straight to hell...

The St Emil never failed to annoy, frustrate, disappoint and generally screw my melon.  I could hear it whispering endlessly to me every time I played it "you are sh it and u know u r".  

Edited by DumbApe, 14 March 2019 - 11:34 AM.

Old dog with new tricks ...  and a stupid number of tanks. Not totally sh*te at this game but still working on it 

Clan commander Hell Raiser Gang [HRG] -   Bananas in aures habeo. Non possum te audiunt.

Si_D_ #9 Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:41 AM

Private

• Player
  • 24854 battles
  • [23SAS]
The FV215b (183) is ruining me, costing me win rate, credits and recently military honour. As is usual I started playing it after the recent nerf. I started playing the Matilda after the nerf (on traverse rate which got cancelled) but had fun spamming gold HEAT rounds on that one!

Fugit555 #10 Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:46 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23027 battles
  • [FTC-1]
I am slowly getting around to both a review of the SU100Y and a guide on playing turret less TD's, although I have done a guide on the basics

Edited by Fugit555, 14 March 2019 - 11:46 AM.

Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to kill, kill kill - War is hell, maybe :justwait:

VISIT MY YT CHANNELhttps://www.youtube....2L0jDqH-GsulArQ

Pururut #11 Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 22555 battles
  • [1RTR_]

I kinda like Colmains answer but it falls into divine trap of categorizing to the point of being detrimental than advantageous. Wargaming kinda does the same with classing tanks and giving perks to them depending on their class. It just doesnt work and creates confusion amongst playerbase. Tiger II and VK 45 are both heavies but if you try to play the latter like the former you will end with a lot of frustration. That is kind of an obvious example but there a lot more subtle ones like that.

There are only two tank classes; Front-Line and Support. Ask yourself this question; Can this tank hold the line when under pressure from frontal attacks? If your answer is yes then it is a front line tank. Contrary to popular belief a very small portion of tanks in Blitz are front-line. A big majority is hybrid and again another small minority is pure support. A hybrid can range anything from Comet to VK 45 02A which is what OP asked. Heaviums/hybrids being half glass tanks is a correct statement but what is even more correct is that you have to fill the remaining half yourself. Unlike a front-line tank, hybrids have the luxury of alternating between roles. A Centurion Mk 7 can easily decimate opposition from the flanks with HESH ( Offtopic statement: If you are playing Cent and FV 4202 with HEAT guns, do all the playerbase a favor and sell them.) but it can also utilize the terrain and act as a make-shift heavy tank for a temporary duration. VK 45 02A has the luxury of moving along with the medium tank company but you can also become a shot baiter by utilizing the 80mm sidearmor. Of course you cant sidescrape properly for the frontal turret will be penned the second peek it out but most players dont have the capacity to wait so it actually works. While assessing heaviums, focus on which plates can be utilized. No hybrid is perfect but all of them have a decent plate of armor or two.

Why are sweating about dumping your clip in an autoloader? Autoloader mechanism is not there for damage bursts. It is there for oscilating turret design which minimizes the turret size and prevents [edited]scenarios from occuring in 1v1 when your loader gets knocked out and you lose the game against a tank of more or less equal reload time. My experience showed me that only 2/3 of a clip can be utilized without risking anything. Since most oscilating turrets are paper thin, I dont advice taking risks. Just use common sense, fire the shots when it is practical to do so and go back to cover for a reload. If you tend to forget about reloading your clip, go to tier 5 and play the Leo if it is still there. Dont come back to high tier autoloaders until you dont forget to go for a reload. Anything else ranging from when to go for a reload and when not to depending on whether if your team is in a pinch or not to positioning in such a way that no one can come out of cover and punish you while you are loading the clip is pure experience. 

Last but not least, I dont have any problems with any tanks or classes. I just fit it into my front-line/ hybrid/ support framework, assess the armor and fail continually until I find a playstyle that suits the tank and more importantly suits my style of play. I have like 170 tanks or something. It never failed with any of them.

Edited by Pururut, 14 March 2019 - 12:45 PM.

llo1 #12 Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 26778 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 14 March 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

Totally agree, but for some reason I absolutely noob in TD's in my main account, terrible stats, failures etc.....but playing the same tank in my re-roll account, I have. 60% wr in my TD!! 

Someone please explain this to me!

Certified member, Save the Littlepard Foundation

Titus_Scato #13 Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 40780 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostThe_Mighty_Wombat, on 13 March 2019 - 08:03 PM, said:

Vk45.02A is a crappy tank in general.

Because it only has -6 degrees of gun depression when it should have -8.

Mjr_Eazy #14 Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 23839 battles
  • [BT_SV]

View Postllo1, on 14 March 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

Totally agree, but for some reason I absolutely noob in TD's in my main account, terrible stats, failures etc.....but playing the same tank in my re-roll account, I have. 60% wr in my TD!! 

Someone please explain this to me!

Is it cos you’re a better player now or you they’ve been buffed since played on main account?

Find a one you haven’t played on main account and get it on alt and play on both alternating between one account and the other so they’re bieng played same time of day and compare the stats or ignore the previous stats and compare WR’s of recent games, you can do that by looking at the full history table in blitzstars for a tank on the 2 accounts...

He who stops being better stops being good.  Oliver Cromwell I was soundly beaten, and i am the better for it.  Monty

I keep getting beaten but getting better so its all good man :harp:. Major Eazy

llo1 #15 Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 26778 battles
  • [1RTR]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 15 March 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

Is it cos you’re a better player now or you they’ve been buffed since played on main account?

Find a one you haven’t played on main account and get it on alt and play on both alternating between one account and the other so they’re bieng played same time of day and compare the stats or ignore the previous stats and compare WR’s of recent games, you can do that by looking at the full history table in blitzstars for a tank on the 2 accounts...

SU 100Y.....got it on both accounts.....on my first account I got it freebie after I also got it free on my second account!

First account wr - 26% and dmg 888

second account wr - 61% and dmg 1128

i will also check other tanks, but somehow don't think that I have the experience in the second account as I stayed away from TD's following the first account details!

Certified member, Save the Littlepard Foundation

Replicant_2 #16 Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 2708 battles
  • [HRG]

View PostMjr_Eazy, on 15 March 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

Feels like it’s been beaten to death already.

Account with a higher battle count will match you against other more experienced players.

your skill doesn’t change but your opponents make a big difference, the more skiled ones won’t give the opportunity to take a shot and will generally know how to deal with the slow and inaccurate su 100y. Hence lower winrate and avg dmg, untill you develop the same skill gap as on your reroll playing vs newbies.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users